Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:09   #256
BHPian
 
shashi63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: THANE
Posts: 199
Thanked: 237 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Hi,

I have owned a Turbo DLS Indica for 5 years and can vouch for the fact that the Indica is pure VFM!

In 5 years other than the Tyres which had to be changed and the battery change i spent after 85000 Kms for the fuel pump.

The car was dream and took me to all places including long trips with never a compliant!

I upgraded to the Manza and touch wood as of now I can say i am having the same experience with Manza. Nary a compliant.

TATA's makes car which provide the best of class and best of value!
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 09:14   #257
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 3,815 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I would definitely check the alignment. If the impact of the bike has caused the steering to turn, it is more likely that the front suspension/tyres are out of alignment than the steering wheel.
I agree with your statement. But then I have carried out the simple test for checking the wheel alignment. I have driven the car on a plain, straight road, at a speed of 50-60kmph & then took the hands off the steering wheel. The car maintains a straight line without veering on any of the sides. However I would observe the car behavior for one more week & if I have any doubts, then definitely I will get the alignment done one more time as I had done the wheel alignment only a week back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
I have owned a Turbo DLS Indica for 5 years and can vouch for the fact that the Indica is pure VFM!

In 5 years other than the Tyres which had to be changed and the battery change i spent after 85000 Kms for the fuel pump.

The car was dream and took me to all places including long trips with never a compliant!
You are indeed lucky, as me. No doubt Indica is a VFM. If only TML could improve their after sales service & bring it close to the Japanese counterparts. In my ownership experience of 9 years 7 months & 140K kms, I had couple of minor issues, but then I relied on my friendly garage rather than TML service centres to fix them. Most of them were preventive measures, which has helped me in the long run.

Quote:
I upgraded to the Manza and touch wood as of now I can say i am having the same experience with Manza. Nary a compliant.

TATA's makes car which provide the best of class and best of value!
You are really lucky, that your successful run with TML cars it still continuing. Very few people dare to buy a second Tata car once they have experienced the first. Wish you continue to get troublefree ownership experience with your Manza in the years to come.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 11:43   #258
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 3,815 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

About an hour back my car crossed the 140K km milestone. It has come in 9 years & 8 months. Hope to see many such milestones on the odo.

Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond-odo-140k2.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 08:50   #259
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 3,815 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Yesterday while going to office in the afternoon, I experienced a very weird thing. When I had covered about 10 kms, I was following a white Sumo & saw the headlight reflection on the rear of the Sumo. Initially I thought that some other car is being driven with its headlights on (as I had never switched on my headlights). Hence I saw in my RVM, but could not find any car with its headlights on. Surprisingly it was the reflection from my car only. I tried switching on & then off the headlights several times, but this could not help.

On finding a lonely stretch of the road, I pulled over, stopped the car & got out, with the car engine still running. My headlights were indeed ON (on upper beam). Toggling the headlight switch didn't help. I switched off the engine, even then the lights were ON. This puzzled me. I then continued my drive to office with the headlights with upper beam ON. Passer by were giving me "headlight on" signal, but I couldn't do much. Even the traffic police were giving me weird looks. I was riding my luck, not to get caught by them for driving with headlights on in broad daylight. Since all my tries were in vain, I thought of disconnecting the battery after reaching my office, else the headlights would completely drain out the battery in 9 hours.

After a 32km drive, I entered my office campus & into the dark parking. Then I tried flashing the upper beam by lifting up the right side stalk & voila the lights switched off. I then tried several combinations & the lights worked perfectly fine, as if nothing has happened. Don't know how & when, but it seems the "flashing" switch might have got stuck & switching "on", "off" the headlight didn't help. I was lucky that eventually the issue got resolved.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 12th March 2014 at 08:52.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 09:47   #260
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 197
Thanked: 171 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
After a 32km drive, I entered my office campus & into the dark parking. Then I tried flashing the upper beam by lifting up the right side stalk & voila the lights switched off. I then tried several combinations & the lights worked perfectly fine, as if nothing has happened. Don't know how & when, but it seems the "flashing" switch might have got stuck & switching "on", "off" the headlight didn't help. I was lucky that eventually the issue got resolved.
Have you installed a headlight "cut-out" kit ?
If yes- then the headlight relay must be replaced immediately to avoid any problem in the future.

AFAIK, the electromagnet of the relay(OE relay in the fuse box) gets power when the combi switch is operated even when the key is in OFF position but the other switching side does not get any power. So, the headlights must turn off as soon as the key is turned to OFF position even if the relay or combination switch is stuck.

To get a better idea of what I am saying- Just put the key in OFF position and turn the headlight on and off whilst keeping a hand on the relay behind the fuse box cover. You will notice them clicking when you operate the combi switch.

BTW, congratulations on crossing the 140K mark.
interc00led is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 10:01   #261
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 3,815 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Have you installed a headlight "cut-out" kit ?
If yes- then the headlight relay must be replaced immediately to avoid any problem in the future.
Thank you for those insights. You are right. Since I am using 90/100 W lamps, I had installed a headlight "cut-out" kit. Are you recommending to replace the headlight "cut-out" kit here?

Quote:
To get a better idea of what I am saying- Just put the key in OFF position and turn the headlight on and off whilst keeping a hand on the relay behind the fuse box cover. You will notice them clicking when you operate the combi switch.
Well let me try out this exercise over the weekend

Quote:
BTW, congratulations on crossing the 140K mark.
Thank you once again.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 10:10   #262
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 197
Thanked: 171 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thank you for those insights. You are right. Since I am using 90/100 W lamps, I had installed a headlight "cut-out" kit. Are you recommending to replace the headlight "cut-out" kit here?
No, just replacing the cut out's relay is enough.
Continue using it for a few weeks and see if the problem re-occurs.
Also, tap the relay to check if there is anything loose inside the relay.

In-case the headlights decide to stay ON, just the pull out the fuse near the relay. I hope your kit has a separate fuse for low and high beam.

When going for a replacement- just ask for "Bosch ka headlight relay". Even PMP is a good brand. Cost ~ Rs.200/-
interc00led is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 11:00   #263
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 3,815 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
No, just replacing the cut out's relay is enough.
Continue using it for a few weeks and see if the problem re-occurs.
Also, tap the relay to check if there is anything loose inside the relay.
Do we get such cut out's relay separately?

Quote:
In-case the headlights decide to stay ON, just the pull out the fuse near the relay. I hope your kit has a separate fuse for low and high beam.
Need to check this.

Quote:
When going for a replacement- just ask for "Bosch ka headlight relay". Even PMP is a good brand. Cost ~ Rs.200/-
Yes earlier I had fitted the PMP one for Rs 160, which was later replaced with Hella make in 2010 for Rs 200/-
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 11:52   #264
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,557
Thanked: 646 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Do we get such cut out's relay separately?
/-
Yes we do. Relay can be bought separately and the price varies depending on the thickness of the wiring provided in the relay.
HELLA and BOSCH are the few known names

Last edited by F150 : 12th March 2014 at 11:53.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 10:51   #265
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 3,815 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Update on the headlamps staying on issue:

On Sunday morning when I took my car out to drop my daughter, I saw my headlamp reflection on the rear of the car in front of me. I pulled over to the side of the road. Without switching the engine off, I opened the bonnet, two light taps on the relay box & the headlamps went off. So it is indeed the relay box, which is the culprit.

At least now I have a solution in hand, though it is a temporary workaround.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 11:26   #266
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 197
Thanked: 171 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Without switching the engine off, I opened the bonnet, two light taps on the relay box & the headlamps went off. So it is indeed the relay box, which is the culprit.
In my previous post, I did mention you to tap the relay.

Now within few days, the headlight will switch on and off at every speed-breaker/bump.
Where did you mount the relay ? On the firewall ? Can you upload a picture ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Also, tap the relay to check if there is anything loose inside the relay.
interc00led is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 20:20   #267
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 3,815 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
In my previous post, I did mention you to tap the relay.

Now within few days, the headlight will switch on and off at every speed-breaker/bump.
Yes, now I have started getting quite nervous at every pot hole/ speed breaker as to when the upper beam will glow on its own. I am being very careful nowadays.

Quote:
Where did you mount the relay ? On the firewall ? Can you upload a picture ?
Yes it is mounted on the firewall. Will try to take a picture tomorrow & upload it here.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 11:31   #268
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 3,815 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Yes it is mounted on the firewall. Will try to take a picture tomorrow & upload it here.
Here you go. Apologies for the poor quality of pictures as they were taken from my mobile camera.

Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond-photo0166.jpg

Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond-photo0167.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 17:40   #269
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 3,815 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

There was a puncture in the rear right tyre. I could see a nail embedded in the tread. Every day tyre was losing about 5-6 psi of pressure. I topped up the air & continued for one week. Today I was feeling too lazy to fix the puncture myself at home. Hence took the car to the nearby Anna. When he removed the wheel, he found two nails. Fortunately one was on the side, so had not pierced deep enough to puncture the tyre, but the other was deeply embedded into the tread & hence one puncture. Removed the nail, fixed the puncture. Paid him Rs 80/-.

From there went I to the nearby Lucas TVS shop. The left brake lamp was not working. Got it replaced for Rs 40/-. I told him about the problem of headlamp upper beam coming on after hitting a bump or pothole. He said the relay will have to be replaced or I will have to live with it. There is nothing that can be repaired. Since the problem is intermittent & now that I have the temporary workaround I decided to live with it.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 22nd March 2014 at 17:42.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 18:49   #270
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,738
Thanked: 4,316 Times
Default re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

@AutoIndian, glad to see your Indica crossing the 1.4L mark. Our own Indica DLE from August 2000, though sold @ 84k, was last serviced at a TASS @2.1L mark. So we know that it ran quite a long time after we sold it. (We had moved from the Indica to a Marina).

And this was a pre-V2 version. A relative's Indigo has now crossed 8 years & 1.9L km.

Wishing you a happy ownership. Hope no niggles, though routine maintenance may be there.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suzuki Baleno it is! EDIT : Now beyond 150,000 kms wanderernomad Long-Term Ownership Reviews 127 21st August 2017 17:37
2006 Indica Turbo DLX TC 80,000 Kms report. nithinnarayanan Long-Term Ownership Reviews 18 24th October 2011 16:59
Indica V2 DLX @48,000 kms kartikkumar Long-Term Ownership Reviews 5 8th December 2010 21:08
Tata Indica V2 DLS customized vs Tata Indica V2 DLX karikrishni Hatchbacks 20 12th November 2009 10:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks