Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 14th October 2010, 10:17   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Sahil, hope the 5er can win the trust back from you in the remaining years of service.

Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I agree BSI does give peace of mind and save a lot of money,but I have a feel that on the down side the cars are not as thoroughly checked for part failures. It would be unfair to blame the dealership since I have BSI but in most of my other cars the dealerships always keep asking to change parts to make a hefty bill. With BMW you have to mention a fault rather than them dig it out for you.
Does this mean that, whoever takes the BSI need to get behind the dealership for all preventive maintenance?

Are BMW dealerships proactive in changing suspected parts only if one were to pay for these parts? It would be nice if any long term owner without BSI can confirm this.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 12:12   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

Would these worn out parts be discovered and changed without me complaining is debatable. IMO, the cars should be regularly thoroughly checked for wear and tear irrespective of customer complaining.
We all want our a.s.s. to be proactive. I guess they are but as you said they should have done a detailed study on how their cars would perform on Indian roads on long term. I also think they did a fair amount of study and hence the old 3 series got a suspension better suited to our roads IIRC.

I would vote Tata better here when it comes to calling their customers for part upgrade/change.

Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
Sahil, this just proves that failure know no geographic boundaries
My 5'er has been giving me electronic hell for the past 6 months, but i still love the machine...
Love rules most stuff .

Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post

Maintaining a fine balance between cost cutting & Quality is a trick that only Maruti & Hyundai seem to have mastered in the Indian context. It also helps that they have volumes to enable system efficiencies.

I have been owning Maruti cars since 1984. In the mid 1990s Maruti's quality had detiorated due to mindless cost-cutting. They have now tightened up their systems and substantially improved quality to a level where you can say that you will never get a catastrophic breakdown. I have also got a Ford Fusion but would rate the quality one step below the Japs & koreans.

Hyundai is even better than Maruti as far as quality goes. Tata motors just does not get it. Mahindra is better than Tata but still has a lot of catching up to do.
OT,Hyundai a.s.s. seems to be having going downhill and so with their research. Looks at people complaining about AC/rattle issue in i20; a premium hatch.

And I also remember reading buttons and sort falling of Merc/BMW but never on a Toyota/Honda.

More than about reliability, Sahil's case felt scary coz he almost was on the way for a headon collsion with a car. Lucky that he managed to steer away in time.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:11   #48

Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Love rules most stuff .

OT,Hyundai a.s.s. seems to be having going downhill and so with their research. Looks at people complaining about AC/rattle issue in i20; a premium hatch.

And I also remember reading buttons and sort falling of Merc/BMW but never on a Toyota/Honda.
I'd agree with JKDas here: If not for the love of our wheels, why would this beautiful community exist?

I'd imagine the guardian angels for our wheels must go through a heart-wrenching feeling each time we go out on our lunarscape roads. This anguish is commonly felt by any passionate owner/user. No one is spared, not the one with the cute little Nano and her predecessor, the M800, nor the most exclusive of machines.

While each machine is dear to her owner/admirers, irrespective of the cost, the expectations are higher as one moves up the mobility hierarchy. It's sad to see the pics and read about such fine machines being laid low by component failure.

Kartik Krishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 02:06   #49
Default Re: BMW E60 525d @ 50,000 kms. EDIT : Breakdown pic!

Dear BHPians !

I am from Pune and I'm seriously thinking to buy a known person's 525D used for @ 2.5 years and clocked 25,000 Kms. He is sending me the car today for test drive !
What do you recommend me to do ?
Currently i own a Laura 1.9 PD AT 2008 model which i had purchased new. Skoda (Europa Auto, Pune) is pathetic in service as new problems erupt everytime it is send for servicing.
Also, I heard that Bavaria motors also has same issues of new problems arising when given for servicing. Sahil also seems to have faced some of those in Mumbai.

Can someone please give some advice on
1. Whether to buy a BMW
2. Whether to buy a USED BMW
3. What price? (Currently he is quoting around 25 lacs for 2.5 yrs used 525d silver clocked @ 25,000 kms and no BSI package, Tyres need change as per seller)
4. How much is approx maintainence cost without BSI package ?
5. Should i just settle for a new Superb instead (other brands are also having service related problems so why not skoda again?)

Friends kindly advice as i'm really confused
bonziibuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 08:38   #50
Team-BHP Support
Default Re: BMW E60 525d @ 50,000 kms. EDIT : Breakdown pic!

Since you know the owner and you are assured about his care of the car. I would not pass it up. However, You will need to spend 80k on tyres and budget 1 lakh per annum for maintenance. Add to that interest costs for a secondhand car and a Superb looks tempting. Explore the new Passat also.

If you love driving hard and fast- I'd would go for the BMW around Rs 23L but think hard and do you homework. Else do your math and see whether a new Superb or Passat will serve you just as well!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote