Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 21st June 2012, 19:42   #256
BHPian

Default re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

I am really sad that your problem hasn't been solved as you know from our PM conversation they also said they installed new parts from IGen 20 while replacing my steering rack.

Sadly the car developed rattles on day 3 after service and was one of the reasons behind me selling it, I did not get a good price for the car despite advertising it for weeks. But at least I don't have to bear with the rattles no more.

When looking for a new car I never seriously considered the IGen I could not risk hard earned money on another Hyundai product.
quadbike is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:26   #257
BHPian

Default re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
I am really sad that your problem hasn't been solved as you know from our PM conversation they also said they installed new parts from IGen 20 while replacing my steering rack.
Well, a week after the replacements( steering rack & universal joint assembly), the rattle hasn't re-surfaced yet. Hope it stays that way.

This time the rack that they replaced was from the new i20 - part no. 565001J010. So, the steering rack(atleast) is inter-changeable between old and new i20s.

Steering Rack(Gear Assy Steering) replacement on 27th April 2012, Part number is 565001J950, rattle later resurfaced :

Steering Rack replacement(Gear Assy Steering) on 15th/16th June 2012. Part number is 565001J010 , rattle hasn't resurfaced so far:

A week after the last fix, it may be too early to say if the issue indeed got fixed or not. However it is a bit encouraging to note that the rattle has stayed "fixed" after nearly 150 kms worth of driving, something which failed to happen after the fixes attempted in April 2012.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 23rd June 2012 at 09:36.
skanchan95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 16:45   #258
BHPian

The part numbers replaced seem to be different as well J010 compared to J950
quadbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 17:29   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
The part numbers replaced seem to be different as well J010 compared to J950
Old i20 Steering Rack Part Number: 565001J950
New i-gen i20 Steering Rack Part Number: 565001J010

This time they installed steering rack bearing part number 565001J010 i.e steering rack from the new i20. They had also changed the universal joint Assembly, part number : 564001J690.

I wonder if this parts combination or either of the two parts singularly is responsible for the rattle staying away, well, for the moment atleast.
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:34   #260
BHPian

An update:
The car has clocked another 1000 kms since the last steering rack change on June 16, 2012. No steering rattle so far, even on those roads where the steering would rattle quite badly.
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:53   #261
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
No steering rattle so far, even on those roads where the steering would rattle quite badly.
Good news! Are you considering selling it and moving to another car?
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:04   #262
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Quote:
An update:
The car has clocked another 1000 kms since the last steering rack change on June 16, 2012. No steering rattle so far, even on those roads where the steering would rattle quite badly.
That's great news - I hope it continues and your ordeal comes to an end. I have been following this thread for sometime now, and your troubles (along with others) was the reason why i didnt even test-drive an i20 when i was looking to buy a new hatch last year.

Best wishes.
akj123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:12   #263
BHPian

Good that your problem solved. So with new steering rack, the igen i20 will not have steering rattle issues as reported in earlier i20s. I too was following this thread and did not even test drive new igen i20 though the high price was another factor. I am Happy with Ford Figo titanium tdci.
Cheers
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:03   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Good news! Are you considering selling it and moving to another car?
The fight isn't over yet, nor am I willing to give up on the car now that the issue has *probably* been solved. We have fought this far over this issue and it will be utterly stupid of me to sell the car now

I have a feeling the dreaded issue has "indeed" been fixed this time. Previously the steering rattle sound would be accompanied by a feeling of the steering feeling loose(on bad roads), as if it could pop out any second. Now, after the rack change from the new i20, there is neither that "loose" steering feeling nor any rattle can be heard. I have driven it on those roads where the steering would rattle quite badly earlier. The steering is now rock steady on those roads, well, atleast for the moment and I hope it stays that way.

It was this fix I was looking for from the beginning. It looks as if Hyundai just may have succeeded in doing the unthinkable i.e find a working solution to address the steering rattle issue.

I wish to thank all of you here at Team-bhp for your support and guidance. Your supportive posts were just as as helpful as the court case in putting pressure on Hyundai to address the issue seriously.

Shall update the thread how the steering behaves in the long run and how things pan out in the court case.

Cheers!!!
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:59   #265
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the resolution.
And hoping that it remains that way.

I think you filed a case also. Right?
What happens to that now?
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 18:42   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Good to see the resolution.
And hoping that it remains that way.

I think you filed a case also. Right?
What happens to that now?
I need to have a word with my lawyer about it. Rest assured, I will post about it when I have something concrete to post about the way to proceed with the case.

This was the moment I had been waiting for nearly three years and I want to just enjoy driving the car with no rattles to hear. Its like when you have to struggle for something for years and then out of the blue, you finally get it. The happiness and pleasure is beyond comparision

The court case did help in putting pressure on Hyundai in addressing the issue and to their credit(specially the APSM, HMIL RO A'bad), looks like the issue has finally been solved. However those dreaded "what ifs" remain.
Old 4th September 2012, 12:42   #267
BHPian

That is such a good news. I have been following your story here and also in the other forum. I sincerely hope that it stays that way. A big thumbs down for hyundai. They made you suffer all this while. Never had and never will buy a hyundai in my life. But right now I am so happy for you.
human_wheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 09:35   #268
BHPian

Quote:
I need to have a word with my lawyer about it.

has finally been solved. However those dreaded "what ifs" remain.
Sandesh sahib mubarak ho,

We can only speculate about what motivated Hyundai to resolve your problem. My hunch is when they saw your dogged perseverance and the fact you were willing to litigate they finally agreed to do what they should have done long back.

Now that hopefully the issue is history and shall remain so, whats your experience with the car been like? If you were to need another vehicle would you consider i20 as a contender?
RS_DEL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 19:15   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Sandesh sahib mubarak ho,
Thank you sir. My only hope is that the happiness is not short lived because I really don't know what to do if the rattle starts again because the extended 3rd warranty on my car expires in the last week of September an I don't know what to expect from Hyundai after that.

Quote:
We can only speculate about what motivated Hyundai to resolve your problem. My hunch is when they saw your dogged perseverance and the fact you were willing to litigate they finally agreed to do what they should have done long back.
Just before I was called up by Hyundai for the last steering rack/column change, there was hearing in the court(which I could not attend as I was not in Veraval/Junagadh). The honourable court ordered Hyundai to see to it that the issue is addressed permanently to the customer's (our) satisfaction and that it stays fixed. Come to think of it, it was only then that there was a sense of urgency on Hyundai's part to get hold of my car to try the latest fix, again there was no guarantee from their side when the fix was being attempted.

Quote:
If you were to need another vehicle would you consider i20 as a contender?
Never ever, even if it is offered brand new at half the price. This experience with Hyundai was nightmarish enough.

It was a hard lesson for me that taught me never ever to buy a car based on its features and previous good ownership experience with same car compnay( something which we had in our 2001 Accent). It is always better to go for a car that has strong dynamics & characteristics albeit with minimum features, than to go for a car loaded with features, that the company uses cleverly to hide the car's inherent weak dynamics, systems and is prone to frequent issues, something that the i20 is prone to, well atleast mine is. Also,to avoid car companies like Hyundai, who blindly side with erring workshops, instead of taking them to task. After spending more than 6 lacs on a car and to struggle with the car and the workshop right from the first month of ownership to recently, is not easy.

I would never recommend any of the new gen Hyundais to anyone(except may be the "strong" Santro and the Accent). Their own workshops struggle to solve persistent issues, some of their own people say the new i's & fluidics are not suitable for indian road conditions. I don't need to repeat how I was treated by those fellows, just because I was from "out of state". They would not have dared to pass such insulting comments on a localite. But today I feel justified for having stood my ground and having called a spade, a spade.

I am not boasting or seeking credit but the very fact that IF the new gen i20 is free from steering rattle issue, it is because of the struggles that guys like me, wildon, rbp and other countless troubled i20 owners went through. Had the issue not been pursued, Hyundai would have simply slept over it and would have happily Lived in their dreamworld stating "steering rattle is normal, you are hearing things".

If you recall, Hyundai was not willing to accept it as an issue initially. When high number of complaints started coming in, they started making untested, half hearted attempts at solving the issue. When they knew nothing could be done to solve the issue in the rack/columns' current design, they started accusing the owners of "hearing" things and what not. Eventhough Hyundai may not accept it, the persistent and high number of complaints forced them to change the i20's steering design entirely and one can only hope that the new design is free from defects & rattles.

I only hope Hyundai learnt a lesson from this too, never to take any customer's complaints lightly, never to ignore the customer's plight and push him to the brink(selling his car or going to the court) and think twice before insulting a customer directly or indirectly. But knowing how Hyundai works, I know this is wishful thinking

Last edited by skanchan95 : 8th September 2012 at 19:20.
Old 28th September 2012, 19:51   #270
BHPian

The car completed its third year today, which means the warranty(extended) is over. Odometer reading is 39,442 kms. Happy to report that the steering rattle hasn't re-surfaced so far.

But, dust has again started creeping inside the speedometer. It looks so ugly, specially at night. The dials look fuzzy and ugly and it takes away the joy of driving, not that the i20's a hoot to drive, but still .

The car is due for its periodic service next month. Let see how they react to this troubling issue, now that the warranty is over.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 28th September 2012 at 19:55.