Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 3rd November 2012, 09:37   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Got the car serviced at Om Hyundai, Junagadh on November 1. Service appointment was taken earlier.

Major concerns, apart from the regular servicing, were
1. Dust creeping inside the speedo console(again)
2. A "Kharrrrrr" sort of sound while turning the steering wheel. The sound would crop up randomly and it was difficult to pin point to the reason for the sound or say under what conditions the sound could be heard
3. Second application of Paint Protection coating- Upper Body( Free)
4. Inspection of underbody coating ( free)

The car was taken inside at 9:45 AM and all concerns were addressed and the car delivered back at 2:45 PM.

Total cost + taxes = Rs 4160.

** Steering rattle issue hasn't cropped up again. It probably was the first time that I did not report the issue during a service visit.

Bill:
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-corr3.jpg

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 7502
Size:  192.8 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 7497
Size:  173.2 KB
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 10:39   #272
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

In December last year, we permanently shifted from Veraval to Mangalore. We left the car back in Veraval in the hope to sell it off. But after six months of trying again and again to sell the car, we decided to get the car to Mangalore and use it here. Either they were quoting very low prices or giving silly reasons like your number is "unlucky". Many of them thinking that the owner was not in Veraval, tried taking advantage of it by playing the waiting game. They thought we were desperate to sell the car( which we weren't) and wanted to get rid of it anyway. When the car departed from Veraval, bound for Mangalore, the same fellows came running stating that they want to buy the car and asked us to stop the transit and get it back to Veraval. We told them, not so politely to get lost.

Got the car transported to Mangalore through Agarwal Packers & Movers. They transported the car in on of their car carriers. Took them two weeks to get the car from Rajkot to Mangalore(via Mumbai & Bangalore). The car reached Mangalore on 03 May 2013 fairly safely, except for a minor scratch on the driver's side RVM.

Here she is parked at our new house in Mangalore:
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-img_0688.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-img_0689.jpg

Now begins the tedious process for getting the car registered in Karnataka . We hoped to avoid this headache by selling the car back in Veraval, but we have no choice left.

* Yesterday evening the car was refusing to start. All electricals were running fine. I suspected the fuel pump fuse may have gone kaput. Called up Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore and they promptly sent their breakdown Vehicle with two technicians. They jump started the i20 by connecting the Santro's battery to the i20's. They took the i20 to the workshop saying the battery needs to be charged for 24 hours and that I would be getting the car back on Monday ( May 06).

Last edited by skanchan95 : 5th May 2013 at 10:57.
Old 6th May 2013, 16:26   #273
BHPian

Hi, Well the steering rack assembly has not been resolved in the igen too.

I purchased a Jan 2013 i20 Sportz and my car was delivered with a defective steering wheel rack. In fact they took 2 rounds to diagnose the issue and then they replaced it with the old i20 steering wheel rack to which I did not agree.

1 week later they ordered the new igen rack assembly and the issue got resolved for 1000 km. Unfortunately the issue has re-surfaced!

Any suggestions, what should I do?
xuv2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 16:43   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuv2390 View Post
Hi, Well the steering rack assembly has not been resolved in the igen too.

I purchased a Jan 2013 i20 Sportz and my car was delivered with a defective steering wheel rack. In fact they took 2 rounds to diagnose the issue and then they replaced it with the old i20 steering wheel rack to which I did not agree.

1 week later they ordered the new igen rack assembly and the issue got resolved for 1000 km. Unfortunately the issue has re-surfaced!

Any suggestions, what should I do?
I am afraid you have no choice but to work with your Hyundai A.S.C & pressurize them to fix the issue, as many of us have done. But then its like

Fixing the previous gen i20's rack in your new i-gen i20 won't help, because the same rack on older i20's is still causing trouble. My 2009 i20 has the new i20's rack, column and joint assembly and the issue hasn't re-surfaced so far.

Or you can give them an ultimatum either fix it or take back the car and refund your money. If you want to go the other way, the only other option is to fight your case legally. It is also well known that the problem has a nasty tendency to crop up again and that is always there in one's mind.

The very fact they Hyundai are unable to give any concrete assurance to potential i20 customers that the infamous steering rattle won't crop up in their i20( should they choose to own one) just goes to how unsure & nervous Hyundai is about the issue. I know this because I have received many e-mails from potential i20 buyers asking me about the i20's steering rattle - whether its been fixed or not. Many of them chose not to buy the i20 because Hyundai dealers, other than "loose" verbal assurances, weren't saying anything about the issue being fixed permanently on the new i20.
Old 16th May 2013, 09:45   #275
BHPian

Got the car serviced from Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore. Total service charges cost Rs 7381.
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-1.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-2.jpg

The battery went kaput and had to be replaced.
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-3.jpg
Old 17th May 2013, 14:20   #276
BHPian

In a recent AutoCar comparison between the Vista D90, the Punto 90HP and the i20 CRDi, they picked the i20 as the winner, despite being costlier, having worse handling and ride, and scoring lower on features, simply because it had a smoother engine and better FE. Goin through this thread, it is clear the rack replacement would more than offset the FE gains, and the refinement claims are also bogus. After all, even the most refined engine cannot possibly make up for a rattling steering rack.

It's terrible that none of the so called auto magazines in India has called out Hyundai on this. It would take just one magazine publishing an article and labeling this car a 'No-Buy', for Hyundai to take steps to fix this issue.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 08:50   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
In a recent AutoCar comparison between the Vista D90, the Punto 90HP and the i20 CRDi, they picked the i20 as the winner, despite being costlier, having worse handling and ride, and scoring lower on features, simply because it had a smoother engine and better FE. Goin through this thread, it is clear the rack replacement would more than offset the FE gains, and the refinement claims are also bogus. After all, even the most refined engine cannot possibly make up for a rattling steering rack.

It's terrible that none of the so called auto magazines in India has called out Hyundai on this. It would take just one magazine publishing an article and labeling this car a 'No-Buy', for Hyundai to take steps to fix this issue.
The i20 sells only because of its features. Hyundai has cleverly managed to hide its steering defects under the guise of first in segment features.

Frankly, I feel all these auto mags are on payrolls on all these car companies, paid to publish reviews in their favour. I have experienced these auto mags pro-car company bias first hand. Read this post I had made back in July 2011 :
Quote:
As for going to the media, tried that too. A prominent auto magazine published a full page story about my car, but in the subsequent edition of that mag, they carried a booklet praising the i20. Quite shocked, I sent them e-mails to the mag asking them if they received any response from HMIL regarding my case. Obviously, they did not answer. Again, I will not name the magazine.

Since then , I have lost faith in these so called "independent" auto magazines. It made me highly suspicious that a car company pays them to publish positive reviews and hide the defects. When the time comes for a magazine subscription renewal, they will beg for your money by sending you repeated letters and e-mails, but when you ask them for help, they will not bother!!!

I do not buy or read auto magazines any more and rely solely on Team-bhp and other websites for automotive news and reviews.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2441635 (Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced)
I can't post that article that was published(July 2010 edition) in the mag here because of copyright issues. The very irritating part of the magazine episode for me was that how those fools from that magazine asked for all the details about the steering rattle problem from me(telling they will take up the matter with Hyundai) and then a month later weren't even bothered to reply. Rather, they carried booklet in the subsequent edition of the magazine praising the i20(probably sponsored)

The very fact that Hyundai had to rework the design of the i20's rack & column assembly just shows how right we were about the issue. I don't think any of those chamcha auto magazines ever covered this issue.

Meanwhile, the car was left at the workshop yesterday. An oily fluid is leaking from underneath the engine bay. Initial diagnosis was that it is probably gear oil. Will update when I get the car back.
Old 18th May 2013, 10:43   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
The very irritating part of the magazine episode for me was that how those fools from that magazine asked for all the details about the steering rattle problem from me(telling they will take up the matter with Hyundai) and then a month later weren't even bothered to reply. Rather, they carried booklet in the subsequent edition of the magazine praising the i20(probably sponsored)

The very fact that Hyundai had to rework the design of the i20's rack & column assembly just shows how right we were about the issue. I don't think any of those chamcha auto magazines ever covered this issue.
Could not agree more on your comment regarding auto magazines.

I too raised issue regarding rusting on my less than an year old Aviator with an auto magazine (I believe we both are talking about the same auto magazine) and the response I got from them after repeated reminders was that company agreeing to re-paint the affected area (free of cost) is the best I can expect! As if Honda is doing me a favor by doing it.

I politely declined and did not got it painted from them.
vaasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 20:22   #279
BHPian

Got the car back day before yesterday.

Before writing further, would like to appreciate the attitude towards the customer shown by Advaith Hyundai,Mangalore - the service advisor Mr Pradep Kumar, specifically. Not only was he humble, helpful and polite, he was quite knowledgeable about the car as a whole. Something that I find to be a refreshing change from the Junagadh workshop

1. The fluid leakage from the engine wasn't really a leakage. As per them there was a very minute quantity of brake oil seeping through. It has stopped now.

2. I had asked for the B-pillar to be blackened using Vinyl film, as the old one had started to peel off - Job well done
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dscn4730.jpg

3. I had also asked for the silver insert in the steering wheel to be replaced( partly because it was scratched by those Om Hyundai fellows an partly because the silver finish on the insert was giving way to the underlying black base).
Mr Pradeep , with his helpful attitude sourced the part for me. If you guys who have followed this thread can recall, I was told that the part cannot be replaced by two different workshops in Gujarat. I was happy that atleast Mr Pradeep took time to find the part name and get it for me.

Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dscn4732.jpg

The bill is attached, in case anyone wants to get the same part replaced in their i20.
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-eqe.jpg
Old 9th June 2013, 13:02   #280
BHPian

Got the passenger air bag display unit & central console fascia changed. Been wanting get them changed since a long time after those Einsteins from Om Hyundai, Junagadh used some sort of adhesive (which they were not supposed to) and damaged the central console in October 2010 .
Details of the damage here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2107001 (Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced)

and pics:

The ever willing to help SA, Mr Pradeep from Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore sourced these parts for me. New central console fascia & PAB/rear seat seatbelt display unit:
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dscn4890.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dscn4896.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dscn4899.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 9th June 2013 at 13:07.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:03   #281
BHPian

Had given the car to Advaith, Hyundai, Mangalore on 25th June after I found some amount of gear leakage every morning. Got the car back yesterday evening.

Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-fn.jpg

1) Gear oil leakage - They had to replace the gear oil seal as it had worn out. To replace it, they had to open up the gear box. The old gear oil seal:

Name:  DSCN4924.JPG
Views: 5579
Size:  512.4 KB

2) Clutch pedal squeaking noise- The clutch used to make a squeaking sound sometimes when the clutch pedal was released. They have greased the clutch spring and the sound is no longer heard. However if the sound recurs and keeps coming regularly, the spring & clutch pedal (may be) have to be replaced.

3)Driver's door panel rattle - Some part holding the glass became loose and was fixed

4) Driver's side mirror making a grinding noise(when it was being folded inwards using the electric mirror fold) - Got fixed on its own as no grinding sound is heard.

5) Throaty sound from the engine while accelerating - Was told that it is normal and noting to be worried about.

6) Rear wiper Noisy & not wiping properly - Replaced the wiper arm assy as Hyundai does not provide rear wiper blade seperately
Name:  DSCN4925.JPG
Views: 5452
Size:  494.8 KB
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:05   #282
BHPian

Got the car serviced from Advaith Hyundai. Mangalore. AS usual, their exemplary work gave noc scope for complaints. Service bill was Rs 6626.

Front brake pads had to be replaced as they were close to be being completely worn out. The rear brake cylinders were replace too.

Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-pan.jpg

Meanwhile, the awful work done by Om Hyundai,Junagadh came back to haunt me again. On the tailgate, the clear coat around the the rear wiper started peeling off quite badly and it needed attention.

Took the car to Carz Spa, Mangalore to enquire what could be done about it. They said they can reapply the clear coat to set it right. Cost quoted was Rs 1800. Told them to apply their six-step paint protection coating on the car( cost Rs 3800) Also enquired if they could paint sections of the front & rear bumper which had a few bad scratches. They replied in the affirmative and dropped the car next day at their workshop.

Next Day I got a call form the owner, Mr Sanjay, stating that the around the tail gate handle had started rusting and its better to get it repaired now than to let it spread. Agreed to it and they had to repaint the tailgate. Got the car two days later and this is the result. Near flawless work except for a very minor paint difference on the rear bumper, which is barely noticeable.
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-20131122_163836.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-20131122_163848.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-20131122_163908.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-20131122_164649.jpg

Got MapmyIndia LX-340 Navigator fitted
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-20131122_164103.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-20131122_164009.jpg
Old 1st February 2014, 18:22   #283
BHPian

After the tailgate repaint,I chose not to re-fix the old decals( except "Asta" & "ABS"). as all three decals had rust spots. As these decals were not readily available at Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore, they had to order them. WHile the "Hyundai" & "i20" logo came quickly the "H" tailgate opener logo took some time.
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-cmpl_set.jpg

All the decals at the right places makes a huge difference to the looks:
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-i20_1.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-i20_2.jpg

The antenna rubber had started coming of and I wanted to replace it. again, this was not readily available and was ordered

Thirdly, quite a large amount of dust particles had accumulated inside the speedemoter cluster( an old problem). It would look quite ugly at night. As I knew opening the cluster & cleaning it would only be a temporary fix, I asked them to get a new speedometer cluster. I noted down the Odometer reading(48834 kms) & the same was noted down in service manual.

Old Speedometer reading, just before replacement:
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-speedo_old.jpg

New speedometer:
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-speedonew.jpg

Hyundai "H" Emblem(Tail gate opener)- Rs 514.53
Hyundai emblem - Rs 538.09
i20 Emblem - Rs 608.03
Roof Antenna - Rs 943.94
Speedometer Cluster - Rs 4213.95

When I got to see the old speedometer cluster, wasn't surprised to see it, another one of Om Hyundai, Junagadh's "great" works!!!! Just look at the tape wrapped around the speedometer cluster
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-om1.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-om2.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-om3.jpg
Old 1st February 2014, 18:59   #284
Senior - BHPian

Could you not have cleaned the instrument cluster and got it properly refitted? That would have saved you come thousands and also retained the odo reading.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 10:21   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Could you not have cleaned the instrument cluster and got it properly refitted? That would have saved you come thousands and also retained the odo reading.
This particular problem was an old one. In my car, the steering rack & steering column were opened countless number of times(to fix the infamous steering rattle issue). The Speedometer may have been damaged during one of these operations, as is obvious from the tape wrapped around the old speedometer assembly .

The Speedometer was opened to clean the dust atleast three times in Junagadh. So I knew it was only a temporary fix to open up and clean the speedometer. Eventhough you can't make out from the photos, on the insides of the speedometer "glass", there are swirls & scratches - Like the ones you have one the car's exterior if you keep in using a rough cloth to clean the car. One could clearly make out the swirls on the speedometer in the night. The speedometer replacement was there on my mind for quite some time. It was an irritant and probably the last reminder of the shoddy work done on the car by Om Hyundai, Junagadh. Whatever damage they had caused to the car either knowingly or unknowingly has now vanished, as I replaced all those damaged parts.