Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 15:00   #301
BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 695
Thanked: 759 Times
Default Re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Yesterday, 18 December 2014, We bid farewell to our beloved i20. There was nothing wrong with car and she could have gone on without any issues much longer, but we decided it was time for a new car, possibly a Hyundai again.

She had completed 5 years in September this year and clocked exactly 54,312 kms with us. The car is in good hands and her new owner will take good care of her and I am quite happy about it.

I wish to thank all bhpians who supported me during our struggle to get the dreaded steering rattle issue fixed. At the time of sale, I could proudly say she was among the few first gen i20s which successfully got the steering rattle issue fixed permanently.

To conclude this thread, I would say, its the after sales service makes or breaks a company. This thread bears testimony to it. My experience with Om Hyundai, Junagadh was bitter, which for me, was a reflection of Hyundai as well. But ever since shifting to Mangalore and getting the car serviced and looked after by Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore, the experience has always been positive. Great, helpful and knowledgeable chaps they have.

Request mods to close this thread or change the topic accordingly.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 19th December 2014 at 15:02.
skanchan95 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 22:21   #302
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: kolkata
Posts: 6
Thanked: 5 Times
Exclamation Total Power Steering Failure In Igen I20

Hello BHPians,

I really need an expert advice from you guys. I bought my Igen i20 magna(o) on 20th November 2013, itís my first car. My i20 performed flawlessly but situations changed since past 2 month. I was able to notice a slight rattling noise from the steering wheels. I immediately referred to the TEAM BHP forum and another reputed Hyundai forum for the same. What I found out was this steering rattling was a frequent problem with many i20 users. As time passed by the rattling noise increased. Approximately 15 days ago the steering was not only producing a rattling noise but was also getting stiffer and in fact it was giving a jerking kind of a motion especially when I turned it to right. 4 days ago while driving the steering problem became so aggravated that I was not able to turn to the right at all, then all of a sudden when the car was in motion the steering wheel became very stiff. When I saw my instrument cluster it showed the power steering failure indicator. I somehow continued to drive at a very slow speed because I had almost reached my destination. But as I finally parked the vehicle the steering was working again and EPS failure indicator was no longer there. I finally decided to take the car to the Bengal Hyundai service centre the next day.

Next day I took my i20 to the Bengal Hyundai service centre and surprisingly the EPS was working again but with lots of jerking motion. The service manager came up to me and checked the car. The first thing that he said was that the car has not done enough mileage on the odometer, which was true because my car travelled a total of 5200 km only since 20th November 2013 till date. Then he said the problem is due to the failure of EPS motor or the electronic control module of steering or both and has to be confirmed by an OBD scanner. I then asked why did the motor failed? He said since the car was not used much it resulted in sulphur deposit in the motor and motor failed which in turn damaged the control module. I was not at all satisfied with the answer. Unfortunately I was in a catch 22 situation because there was a family get together coming up and I needed the car. They gave me an estimation of 9000 rupees for the electronic module and 5000 rupees for the motor plus tax which broke my heart blew my fuse off since I had to pay an estimated 15000 rupees all from my pocket because my cars two year guarantee had already expired. So I had to pay the money and get it repaired.

NOW FOR MY QUERIES.......

1: Is it true that if a car with EPS is not driven frequently then there will be sulphur deposits in the electronic and electrical components?

2: From where does this sulphur come from? And moreover the EPS motor and control module are placed under the dashboard inside the car so from where did sulphur get in since I generally drive with AC on and windows up.

3: I stay in a residential complex and there are several cars with EPS which are never driven frequently but I have never seen these cars suffering such issues.

4: Did the service manager lie to me about the entire problem and could it be solved by just minor repairs? (I had asked the service manager to first change only the motor and check if it works, but he repeatedly insisted me to change both because changing just the motor is not a complete solution since the same problem will crop up again.)

5: Did this problem happen to anyone else?

Guys I seriously need help on this because I am having a doubt that I was cheated and was forced to replace both the motor and electronic module for no reason.
drayan_idc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 07:54   #303
BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 695
Thanked: 759 Times
Default Re: Total Power Steering Failure In Igen I20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drayan_idc View Post
Hello BHPians,

5: Did this problem happen to anyone else?

Guys I seriously need help on this because I am having a doubt that I was cheated and was forced to replace both the motor and electronic module for no reason.
Going through your post, something pretty similar happened to me in my first gen i20 Asta 1.2 in 2010. The incident has been narrated earlier in the thread.

Read this post : (Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced)
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 13:06   #304
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Madras
Posts: 27
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Apologies for reviving an year old thread. I am facing the same issue with my 7 year old i20 Asta. It has run for 54K kms till now.

Like explained in this thread, the steering gets stuck with a mild noise when I turn right (i am able to move the steering though). Some times the engine dies during this process. Once I restart the engine, this problem is not seen.

Now the Hyundai A.S.S guys say there is an issue with the Steering Column Motor's teeth. The solution they propose is to replace the entire steering column and the quote is 27000 plus GST. They say this is normal wear and tear and the life of the column is 60K kms.

The alternate solution they give is to replace the motor alone, which is around 8K. But they say, this problem might creep up again.

I am in a confused state of mind after reading this whole thread

Should I go with this replacement or should I take it to some other local garage guy for further inspection ?

Appreciate any help on this.
shansundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 13:01   #305
BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 695
Thanked: 759 Times
Default Re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by shansundar View Post
Apologies for reviving an year old thread. I am facing the same issue with my 7 year old i20 Asta. It has run for 54K kms till now.

Like explained in this thread, the steering gets stuck with a mild noise when I turn right (i am able to move the steering though). Some times the engine dies during this process. Once I restart the engine, this problem is not seen.

Now the Hyundai A.S.S guys say there is an issue with the Steering Column Motor's teeth. The solution they propose is to replace the entire steering column and the quote is 27000 plus GST. They say this is normal wear and tear and the life of the column is 60K kms.

The alternate solution they give is to replace the motor alone, which is around 8K. But they say, this problem might creep up again.

I am in a confused state of mind after reading this whole thread

Should I go with this replacement or should I take it to some other local garage guy for further inspection ?

Appreciate any help on this.
I feel you may well try your luck with a known local garage.

A very close friend of mine's 8 year old 1.2 i10 Magna started giving him rattling noise from the steering & suspension earlier this month. Even on good roads he could hear severe rattling from the steering or suspension(he was not sure at that time).

The local Hyundai A.S.S quoted him 15000 + labour & taxes, to fix the issue(replacement of suspension & steering parts). Not convinced, he took the car to his trusted local garage. He got it repaired from there for Rs 2800( with bill, including labour and original Hyundai parts - 2 Tie Rods and 2 bushes). He drove the car from Baroda to Pune and faced no issues at all.

However, your problem seems far more serious. But it is well worth a try with a good mechanic whom you know.
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2017, 14:07   #306
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Madras
Posts: 27
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
I feel you may well try your luck with a known local garage.



A very close friend of mine's 8 year old 1.2 i10 Magna started giving him rattling noise from the steering & suspension earlier this month. Even on good roads he could hear severe rattling from the steering or suspension(he was not sure at that time).



The local Hyundai A.S.S quoted him 15000 + labour & taxes, to fix the issue(replacement of suspension & steering parts). Not convinced, he took the car to his trusted local garage. He got it repaired from there for Rs 2800( with bill, including labour and original Hyundai parts - 2 Tie Rods and 2 bushes). He drove the car from Baroda to Pune and faced no issues at all.



However, your problem seems far more serious. But it is well worth a try with a good mechanic whom you know.

Thanks @skanchan. When you say it's "far more serious", I trust it completely after reading your experience with a similar problem and your efforts to solve and share the ordeal. I have almost made up mind to take it to the A.S.S. Let me see what's in store.

Any idea about that engine powering off, when the steering is turned right ?
shansundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Passion: My Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi. EDIT, 30K Update Bubby Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 70 1st April 2017 10:31
2011 Hyundai i20 Asta. Update: 26500 kms Complete Pancham Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 110 6th December 2015 16:48
My Beige Boy - Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi. Update: 60,000 kms and 4.5 years sagarpadaki Long-Term Ownership Reviews 108 17th January 2015 11:04
My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta is here! UPDATE- Now Sold AbhiJ Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 225 25th August 2012 12:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:26.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks