Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 2nd October 2010, 00:18   #1
BHPian

Default 2003 Ford Ikon 1.6 Sxi (The reason I became fordfreak)

16th December,2003. We finally got our 'Josh Machine'. We got the 1.6 Sxi Nxt. It was the one with the much talked about 1.6 ROCAM engine and we got the top-end Sxi varient. What a beast she was! She was the first car I drove with power steering(after learning on our M800). I still remember the feeling when I floored the accelerator on a long empty stretch of road for the 1st time. The roar of the engine, the quick shifting gearbox, the grippy tires and the pin-point steering is still fresh in my memory as it was in 2008(when I was of legal age to drive). Ask any Josh Machine owner(especially one's with the 1.6); I'm sure they will agree with me on this.

The Ford was built like a mini-tank. The phrase 'Built Ford tough' was proved when a Zen rammed into our Ikon from behind at a red light. The Zen had 2 broken headlights, a broken bumper and grille and a damaged bonnet. On the other hand, our Ikon just had a scratched tow hook and bumper, and the number plat light had popped out(just needed to be pushed back into place). SCORE: Ikon-1, Zen-0

Throughout the 65000kms, the car performed like a gem, barring the occasional hiccup. One of the things that troubled us the most was the Central locking system. It kept locking and unlocking itself everytime we started moving! Even the Ford workshop guys couldnt find the cause of the problem.
However, running costs for the car were pretty high. The Ikon draank Unleaded at the rate of 5.5km/l !! The electricals also started being moody as the car aged. But build and body wise, it still looked as good as new when we handed over the keys to the new owners :'(

I'm not very good at writing long reviews, so I'v just summaerised my likes and dislikes below.

• Responsive engine
  • Sporty looks
  • Steering accuracy and feel
  • Slick shifting gearbox
  • Fun to drive
  • Exhaust tone
  • Sturdy build quality
Dislikes:-
  • Expensive to maintain
  • Electrical gremlins
  • Boot size
  • Thirsty engine (5.5km/l)
  • Exhaust needed to be repaired 11 times since we bought the car!! (Probably because of my habit of redlining)
  • It's been sold :(
This is the car i chose my Team-BHP name after!
Enjoy the pics (they were taken 2 hours before her new owners came to take her)
Cheers!
fordfreak

PS-We have replaced 2 of our old cars (NHC and Ikon) with the Corolla Altis and the ANHC.
Attached Images

fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 16:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the review, fordfreak.
I can vouch for the sturdiness as well as build quality of the Ikon.

Between, was it only on the NXT series SXi that the bumpers came with the plastic strip in body color?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 20:22   #3
BHPian

@benbsb29-As far as i know, the pre-NXT series SXi came with black plastic strips on the bumpers. And the 1.6 ZXi (NXT series) came with black black plastic strips on the bumpers, the SXi came with body coloured strips. But then again, I could be mistaken. What do you think about it?
Old 4th October 2010, 19:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice review there fordfreak.After reading this I miss my josh machine.It was a 2000

ikon 1.6 ZXI.It was WB 02 L reg,dark green in colour.We had it 4 years.The pickup in it

was awesome.It was shod with stanley leather seats and the silver finish centre

console looked awesome.We sold it in 04 to get the lancer.
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 19:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

One of the best drivers car in the Indian market. What I am surprised about is the mileage. 5.5 kmpl is toooooooo low by any standard.
extreme_torque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 22:19   #6
BHPian

@cityvic- My car's pick-up remained strong even after all these years! I loved the silver finished centre console too.
@extreme torque- Indeed one of the best driver's cars. Second only to the OHC Vtec. Even though I was heavy footed while driving the Ikon, I certainly didn't expect it to be so thirsty! But it was a fun car to floor the pedal in.
Old 5th October 2010, 08:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

I also had a similar experience with the Ikon (1.3 Nxt). Glad you enjoyed the car! The car grows on you as the years go by.

Couple of questions:
  • 5.5 KmpL is atrocious unless you were murdering the engine
  • How has it been to move from the Ikon to Altis/ANHC? Apart from sane fuel bills
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 16:23   #8
BHPian

@ fordfreak : 5.5 kmpl ???

My Jan 2003 1.6 ZXi still manages 10.5 kmpl. This is the pre-nxt series with an odd date of 31st December, 2002 as the discharge date from the plant. I have the slip preserved.
Sugeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 19:03   #9
BHPian

@kiku007-You have no idea how much i miss my car! And yes the engine was murdered on occasion(when I needed an adrenaline rush :P ) but other than that, it was all smooth driving.
Altis has been a joy to drive, but still have'nt tested its capabilities fully. Still being run-in. Haven't driven the ANHC yet because it hasn't been registered yet. Will only be able to write a review for both of these when I go back home in December.

@Sugeeta- The best ever I got was 6.9kmpl (as far as I can remember). We always needed to fill the car up after every 180-190kms of driving (every fill up is of 30ltrs). I think my poor average can be linked to my occasional hard driving. And also the driver has a weird way of driving. He drives at 50km/hr in 5th gear!!