Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 9th February 2015, 20:35   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
its big time that you reward yourself with a stock of good seats from Abarth stable.
Its my 2015 resolution not to get tempted by suggestions like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
phew! i thought i was the only one taking pictures of the console every now and then
"Birds of the same feather flock together" or "People like you and me come together on TBHP"
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 11:54   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

I had damaged a tyre of my car after hitting a small stone. More on it in the below post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3596819 (FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion)

When I went for a replacement, I found out that the same brand same size same tread pattern is not available anywhere in Bengaluru!
For 2 to 3 weeks I looked everywhere including some online retailers. see below post for details
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3635264

When I couldn't find it, I was forced into thinking of going for a different tread pattern against my wishes.
I wanted to understand the risks/problems because of this. I posted this query in another thread.
A couple of replies came in saying that it won't lead to a big problem.
Link to that post is here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3644095

Then came a PM in my TBHP inbox. it was from fellow DBHPian akshay1234.
He had enquired the tyre availability with a known tyre dealer in Mumbai and he gave me his contact number stating that the tyre is available with him.
In this age of whatsapp, in no time I spoke to the tyre dealer, got the pictures of the tyre.

FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion-img20150213wa0000.jpg
Whatsapp!

It was a Pirelli P7 Cinturato 225/45R17. The only difference was the other tyres were 91W where as this one was 91V. The load rating was same at 615Kgs but the speed rating was lower by 30kmph at 240kmph. If you observe the picture, it is written (MO) at the end...which stands for Mercedes Original. 91V was designed for Mercedes and 91W was a generic tyre offered by Pirelli.

"Big deal!" I thought. Especially because the car being a Punto, V or W, boh are way too high. I then asked the dealer for the Mfg. date. it was in 2013...Although it was not a fresh one, it was almost the same age as the other 3.

Moreover, getting the same tyre in itself was such a big thing, that I thought I could settle for these two things.

He told that Once I transfer the amount to him, he would put it in a private bus and I would have to collect it in Bengaluru. I told him that it would be difficult for me to collect the tyre during weekdays and hence I would transfer it the next Thursday and he can send it on Friday so that I can collect it on Saturday.
Almost all the above things happened as per plan...Except that the travels guy didn't get the tyre on Saturday. Sunday was a holiday and the plan to collect it on a weekend failed. The tyres finally arrived in Bengaluru on Monday evening. Finally I took half a day leave from office yesterday and collected it.

Since I had applied leave, I straight away went to Millivisions near lalbagh (Krumbigal road). Since it was a weekday afternoon, everything went super fast and within an hour, the Wheel alignment and Balancing was finished. The spare wheel had run for 1669 Kms (from 65803 to 67472).

FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion-20150224_150815.jpg
Th tread pattern I was looking out for.

FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion-20150224_152045.jpg
The size

FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion-20150224_152058.jpg
The brand

FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion-20150224_152032.jpg
Ready to roll

When the tyre was changed, I could see that the area of damage in the old tyre. What was a cut earlier was now a big hole. I asked if I can get anything in return for the damaged tyre. He smiled and told me that I could take it if I want. I decided to leave it there as it was of no use to me.

In hindsight, there is something with Mumbai and my car wheels!!!
  • When I first changed my steel wheels to fiat OE Alloys way back in 2011, I got it from TBHPian raj_5004 in Mumbai
  • This repaired tyre finally gave up on me in Mumbai
  • The replacement also came from Mumbai
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 13:00   #483
BHPian

Hemanth - after reading half of the message, I thought you would drive up to Mumbai to get the Tyre ....
Pumpy_Raj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 13:54   #484
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
In hindsight, there is something with Mumbai and my car wheels!!!
Congrats Hemant.
How much did the tyre cost? Knowing that tyre was out of its warranty period, did this not deter you from getting the tyre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy_Raj View Post
Hemanth - after reading half of the message, I thought you would drive up to Mumbai to get the Tyre ....
How I wish he was here to personally get the tyre (inspite of pushing the spare tyre for a long trip), Mumbai would have witnessed the "Ferrari in Affordable Trim".
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 17:19   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Knowing that tyre was out of its warranty period, did this not deter you from getting the tyre?
The warranty policy of Pirelli is as follows:
"All Pirelli brand tires are covered by a warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for 48 months (4 years) from the date of manufacture OR for the life of the original usable tread, whichever occurs first."
In the next 2 years (available of the total 4 years), I will use up the life of the usable tread. So I won't loose any warranty period.

With the bill, I can claim for warranty here in Bengaluru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy_Raj View Post

If I had to drive, I would have definitely called you to join me

Quote:
How I wish he was here to personally get the tyre (inspite of pushing the spare tyre for a long trip), Mumbai would have witnessed the "Ferrari in Affordable Trim".
Imagining If I had had to drive to pick up one tyre, I would have taken my brother in law's city and not my car.
The spare tyre was used from Mumbai to Bengaluru...So In a way, Mumbai has seen my FIAT

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 25th February 2015 at 17:21.
Old 23rd March 2015, 14:25   #486
BHPian

Hi Hemanth,

I was just wondering, because, your car is past 50months, and 60000kms, if you got the timing belt changed. It is 60000 or 4 years, whichever is earlier. We have had timing belt accounts, in diesel punto threads, but yours is probably the first Punto 1.2 on this forum to have crossed 60k/48 months. Could you post the 60k service bill? The details of the really major 60k service will be highly useful for all of us.

LL

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 23rd March 2015 at 14:27.
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 17:32   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Hi Hemanth,

I was just wondering, because, your car is past 50months, and 60000kms, if you got the timing belt changed. It is 60000 or 4 years, whichever is earlier. We have had timing belt accounts, in diesel punto threads, but yours is probably the first Punto 1.2 on this forum to have crossed 60k/48 months. Could you post the 60k service bill? The details of the really major 60k service will be highly useful for all of us.

LL
Thanks for the question. I had thought I had put this data here.
I have updated the service details in the previous page.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3596819 (FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion)

The 60K service already comes with a big bill. Over that When I purchased Shell Helix Engine oil Outside, It further increased the bill.
Below is the screenshot from the Excel sheet that I have maintained (you can see that Shell engine Oil is 3k more that the Selenia Oil for 4 Litres)

Name:  60K service.JPG
Views: 1765
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  graph.png
Views: 1697
Size:  16.7 KB
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 15:05   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

The 69th thousand came up last weekend.

FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion-1437384576007.jpg
Slow!

Thanks to my 2 month business trip to europe, this 1000kms took 105days; the slowest for my car.

My Brother in law kept it running instead of keeping it idle completely.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 23:03   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

The odometer changed its fifth digit for the 7th time!

FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion-1441214512145.jpg

FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion-1441214527982.jpg

The car will complete its 5 years this month end.

By the end of the month, it will also be due for its next annual service.
No problems as such apart from a left pulling issue that seems to be in the FIAT gene.

I have to get it serviced just in time for the anniversary drive-the car's as well as my wedding both of which have the same date
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 00:42   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The car will complete its 5 years this month end.

I have to get it serviced just in time for the anniversary drive-the car's as well as my wedding both of which have the same date
Awesome thread Hemanth!

There are some really passionate ownership reviews of Fiats in this forum but very few come close to your's in terms of regular updates. A well maintained car as well as thread.

PS: You're lucky that the car's anniversary and the wedding anniversary are on the same date. In my case it's two days apart, and it has put me in a very tricky situation multiple times. I inadvertently mention the car's anniversary date as the wedding anniversary date but the vice-versa doesn't happen.
Biraj is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 12:02   #491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Awesome thread Hemanth!

There are some really passionate ownership reviews of Fiats in this forum but very few come close to your's in terms of regular updates. A well maintained car as well as thread.
Thanks for those nice words Biraj

Quote:
PS: You're lucky that the car's anniversary and the wedding anniversary are on the same date. In my case it's two days apart, and it has put me in a very tricky situation multiple times. I inadvertently mention the car's anniversary date as the wedding anniversary date but the vice-versa doesn't happen.
You must have been in big trouble
Generally I do not forget dates, but this car has only made sure that I do not forget the most important date.
Also, no one objects to a long drive on the day
Old 21st September 2015, 12:01   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

My car has gone in to the 5th annual service (75,000 kms / 5 years) today. The Odometer reading stood at 70363kms
I had booked a service appointment with a pick-up facility 2 weeks ago with Vecto motors on Hosur Road.
The car was promptly picked up from my office at 09:30hrs by the designated person.
He closely inspected the car and made note of all the scratches and dents.
Being in Bangalore for 5 years, there are micro scratches all over and one small dent on the roof (thanks to a fruit that fell from a tree).
I had removed all the small items from the car yesterday itself.
I was handed over the acknowledgement and the car was driven away.

After 30 minutes I received a call from the service station, that the car has been received and work will start soon on it.
The service advisor called me at 11:15 and noted down all the complaints I had:

1. Heavy Pulling to the left:
The perennial problem which is yet to be solved. over the years, after every service, the scale of it had been reduced but never solved completely
Its almost like my car has a special feature called "Automatic lane changer". After overtaking a vehicle on a highway, All I need to do is let go of the steering wheel and the car comes to the slow lane.

2. Hard clutch:
As it is, I never felt it was hard. But from April to July when I was in Europe, I was driving a Ford Fiesta.
When I came back to my and took my car, it was like switching from a car to a Truck! it was quite evident that it is very hard and takes quite some effort to depress the pedal.
I have checked almost all the variants of Punto and mine is the hardest.
It was smooth only maybe for a month or so when the clutch was replaced last year during the 60K service

3. Left front shock absorber noise:
For the last 1000 Kms or so, there is a screeching noise from the left front shocks whenever I go over a speed-breaker.
This happens on big speed-breakers only at any speed.

4. A humming noise from the engine bay:
After the 60K service when all the belts were replaced, there is a humming rhythmic noise at 4000rpm.
The noise is like the sound from an old fan whose bearings are worn out.
Initially after I noticed it, I got it checked with the service centre and they told that after a few thousand kms, it will fade away. But it still is present

5. A small squeaking noise inside the cabin:
This is a minor one that has developed in the last week. there is some mild squeaking noise which seems to be coming from the from the passenger seat or may be from the dashboard

6. Squeaking noise from the brake pedal:
There is a minor squeaking noise from the brake pedal.
It is a lubrication problem as it was present during the 45k service and was solved. it has again developed recently.

I was given an estimate of ₹4000 and he told that if there are any other major changes, I'll be informed.

As always is the case with me, I told him that I do not need the car today itself but I want the car back with all the issues solved.
My car is not used as much during the week and I can manage with the 2 wheelers at home. So I always try to give the vehicle for service on Monday.

Off-late I have heard really bad reviews about Vecto motors on Hosur Road.
With their Mysore road service station closed, I do not have many options. The staff are also mostly new and I do not know anybody now.
Hopefully the issues are solved and I have a good experience - Fingers crossed!
Many fiat owners in Bangalore go all the way to KHT in Whitefield or even to Salem in the neighbouring state.
I did think of those two options, but because of the distance, dropped the idea and thought I'll take the risk because I never had a really bad experience till now with Vecto.

I will update the thread later with more information.
Old 25th September 2015, 17:22   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

75000 Kms /5 years Service report

To put it in one sentence – “Everything was just as expected”. And what had I expected?

1. I will not get back the car on the same day
I got back the car on Tuesday evening after it was taken to service on Monday morning

2. Slow billing
It took them 2 hours from 4:30PM to make the bill and accept my payment for a car which was completely ready!

3. The niggles will not get solved.
Solving niggles do not bring money to the dealer, so they do not invest time on it. but if it is any part replacements, they are ready!
Unfortunately this is the attitude in all the service centres I’ve seen (Any OEM)

- The left-pulling issue remains the same. The reason they gave me for it was that it was because of the 17” wheels!
When I asked him how, the SA told me that the weight of the wheels pull it leftward…I had no words!

- The belt noise when I cruise at 4000rpm remains. I was told it was lubricated but the noise exists.
This poses no real problems to the vehicle’s operation but is irritating at times

- Clutch was really hard. I was told it is lubricated. Although it is better, it is still harder compared to other cars.

- The only niggles that were solved were the the removal of squeaking noises from the brake pedal

4. Big bill
It being a 75000 service, I had estimated 15k bill. The SA gave me an estimate of 10K. Final bill was 19k! It was a not-so-pleasant surprise.
I tried to understand what contributed to such a big amount

- The usual paid service with oil changes and filter changes. part cost ~3000 rupees and labour ~1500 rupees.

- The SA told me that the front brake pads need to be replaced. It was replaced during the 45k service. ~3500 rupees

- The hand brake was as good as inexistent. So I had asked him to change the rear drum brake liner too.
This was the first time for my car (recommended to replace at 60k kms). ~3500 rupees

- The spark plugs were changed (Again for the first time for my car). ~1500Rupees

- The AC gas was low and refilled. The SA told that it would be around 800ruppes for this.
This was the biggest surprise…800 was for the gas and 1700 as labor charge for it (which wasn’t mentioned to me)! ~2500 rupees

- A squeaking noise from the suspension was attributed to a weak link rod and it was replaced. ~1500 rupees

That adds up to 19000 rupees! Most of the things were recommended in the service schedule.

I could have avoided the AC gas and could have avoided the spark plugs and would’ve saved 4k
That would’ve brought the bill down to my estimate of 15k. Why didn’t I avoid?
I want my car to be in the best possible condition and so agreed for the AC gas refill.
As far as the Spark plugs are concerned, the recommended replacement interval was 30k kms. 70k kms was a good duration considering that I felt.

Below is the breakup of the service

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  149.9 KB

The red bars in the graph are for issues related to my car alone and the blue bars are things that are recommended in the service manual.

Some other points I observed:
  • All the common costs between this and the last year's service have increased by 5%
  • Also compared to the last year, service tax on labour has increased from 12.36% to 14%
  • in a total bill of 19k, 5500 rupees is for labour. And in our country, labour is said to be cheap

The anniversary drive is planned for the next long weekend. That should add some 1000kms to the ODO. Looking forward to it.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 17:55   #494
BHPian

Hi Sir, I have spent almost a couple of days of reading your thread from start to here. I was fishing for LEFT pulling issues in Punto and viola this looks like a family problem. Mine is a 2015 New Punto EVO sports diesel and its got the same left pull problem you have been stating right from the start of this thread. I have sent my car twice to the SC had the wheels cross changed and aligned in the first 7000kms but the issue still persists even for the new EVO. Moreover these are stock R16 tyres and it is definitely irrespective of the 17 inchers as your SA had mentioned. Phew!
Rover2000 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 14:16   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Its been two and a half months since I updated this thread!
My car has completed 5 years in the meantime and has been rather uneventful except for a 900kms drive to Pondicherry.
There are no major problems and the ODO also has moved rather slowly (~2800Kms in the last 3 months).

It crossed 71000Kms on 3rd October and the 72000Kms mark was breached on 30th October. Currently The ODO stands at 72700Kms

FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion-20151003_174323.jpg
71000 after approximately 5 years

FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion-20151030_184058.jpg
72K after exactly 5 years 1 month

A small cosmetic was added in the meantime. I finally replaced the last 'FIAT' Logo with the Abarth Logo-the one on the key.

FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion-img20151128wa0014.jpg
Scorpion on the Key as well

FIAT-Ferrari in affordable trim - My Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion-20151208_092507.jpg
That finally completes it.

Ordered this from Ali Express for a small amount and received it within 2 weeks from China.
It is around 1mm smaller in Diameter than the OE 'FIAT' logo but the quality is quite good.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 8th December 2015 at 14:19.