Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th October 2010, 15:01   #1
BHPian

Default LT ownership review Tata Nano CX BSIII Champagne Gold March 2010

LT ownership review Tata Nano CX BSIII Champagne Gold March 2010-photo0004.jpg

This is a continuation from Initial ownership report @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2107504 (My friend's Nano EDIT:Updates from the Owner.)

My Nano is now 7 months old and has done 5520 kms. I'll be posting further reviews in this thread from time to time.

The in-city mileage hovers between 12 -13 kpl with ac always ON, in most congested driving conditions. On the highway 22 -23 kpl is assured under normal driving conditions and the figure improves as driving conditions improve. In a recent 127 kms NH trip I got 25.92 kpl under very good driving conditions. I've got 24 kpl on the NH quite frequently.

My family and I adore the Nano. However its poor ride comfort over even moderately rough roads remains a sore point (can't escape the pun!). But for that, I'm perfectly happy with the car. I must mention that the front A-pillars do restrict the drivers peripheral view and due caution needs to be exercised when negotiating turns and at junctions.

For a quick look at what I had to say for and against the Nano, click here (My friend's Nano EDIT:Updates from the Owner.)

Over time it has picked up its share of minor nicks and scratches mostly inflicted by careless bikers. I did pitch in with my bit when I drove the front
wheel into a deep mud pit and damaged the bumper. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2085714 (My friend's Nano EDIT:Updates from the Owner.)

Hope the future allows me to maintain the same happy mood in my posts.
kollamraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 14:45   #2
BHPian

Nice review raja.I miss our beloved TRRK very much.Why not paint the bumber ?
shk 8896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 16:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
I miss our beloved TRRK very much.
Trrk has left behind a vacuum that's impossible to fill. I feel his absence numerous times every single day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Why not paint the bumber ?
The bumper job is not a 'must do' because the shape of the bumper makes it not very noticeable and since the damage has happened to a plastic object, there is no danger of rusting. So the repair work can wait for a suitable time.
When I do get around to fixing it, I'll retain the mat black finish though. I think it gives the Nano more 'personality' than the body coloured bumpers.
Old 21st December 2010, 00:55   #4
BHPian

Default Re: LT ownership review Tata Nano CX BSIII Champagne Gold March 2010

Hi KR,

I am planning to buy a Nano for my daily drive to office. The drive is 50 kms per day, one way, with moderate to heavy traffic and return is at early morning with little traffic. Road conditions are good to excellent for most part. I have a few questions, which I hope you will be kind enough to answer.
1. What is the FE that I could expect. (I am a pretty sedate driver, prefer the AC and heater in winter options though ).
2. How is the comfort level.
3. Would I need to switch off the engine at signals (more than 20 secs) to avoid overheating?
4. Does it start easily in the cold season?
5. I read in a couple of places here, that there is issue with clutch fade very early. Is this what you also experienced?
6. Are the brakes good?
7. Is provision made for music player with speakers or the wire harness will have to be damaged?

Thanks in advance.
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 13:08   #5
BHPian

First of all CONGRATS on your decision to buy a Nano.
Its sheer pleasure on four wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
1. What is the FE that I could expect. (I am a pretty sedate driver, prefer the AC and heater in winter options though ).
Under normal daytime driving conditions on a National Highway, I'm sure the Nano can deliver upwards of 22 kmph with ac and 2 pax. This is from own experience as can be seen from this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2032244 (My friend's Nano EDIT:Updates from the Owner.)

Quote:
2. How is the comfort level.
The cabin space is unbelievably enormous for its size. The leg room is good and especially in front an average adult can luxuriously stretch to the maximum. The seat comfort is adequate but could do with a bit of extra cushioning.
However when riding on rough road surfaces you must make allowances. The experience will be comparable to an autorickshaw. But mind you its the moderately rough road surfaces that trouble the Nano the most. The bigger pot holes and speed breakers are handled very well by the Nano's suspension. On the average NH roads the car is a dream.

Quote:
3. Would I need to switch off the engine at signals (more than 20 secs) to avoid overheating?
Certainly not.

Quote:
4. Does it start easily in the cold season?
The coldest temps I have have faced is 21 deg C which is not cold enough to be challenging. But I haven't come across any cold start complaints from users.
Quote:
5. I read in a couple of places here, that there is issue with clutch fade very early. Is this what you also experienced?
I don't know if 'clutch fade' is the issue. But my TASS does 'adjust' the clutch cable at every service.
Quote:
6. Are the brakes good?
At the speeds the Nano is supposed to be driven, the brakes are more than adequate. But don't expect advanced stability features when braking at high speeds and on curves.
Quote:
7. Is provision made for music player with speakers or the wire harness will have to be damaged?
Sorry. Never been to that area.

There is one aspect of the Nano that I would like you to note. The front A-Pillars need some getting used to. They obstruct your peripheral vision at junctions and turnings. Be extra careful to check for traffic from the sides till you get used to negotiating around these 'blind spots'.

If you haven't already seen it, this post could interest you http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1935799 (My friend's Nano EDIT:Updates from the Owner.)
Old 25th December 2010, 18:32   #6
BHPian

ODO reading 7688 kms. ( 9 months )

Took the Nano to the TASS for the following jobs,

1. The clutch cable needed adjustment - this appears to be necessary from time to time.

2. The ac filter was clogged - removed and washed the filter - this too needs to be done every once in a while.

3. The combination switch developed a lose contact when operating the headlamps - got it replaced. It was replaced once before when the dim/bright operation had a complaint.

4. The brakes needed adjusting - the rear left showed a tendency to jam and streak the road with rubber when braking, especially if the wheel was over lose gravel or sand on the road.
Old 27th December 2010, 13:15   #7
BHPian

Thanks Raja. I am going to go for the TD today. Hopefully, will be able to get the car soon!
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 12:40   #8
BHPian

Default Reply from TATA Customer Care

I had registered for Nano Secure to extend my warranty.
Later I have opted for AMC plan 'ValueCare' GOLD by paying Rs.2801. Under this plan my warranty is for 3 yrs / 20,000 kms.
Now that TATA Motors had announced that the Company warranty on ALL Nanos is extended to 4 yrs / 60,000 kms, I thought the 'ValueCare' GOLD AMC plan becomes redundant.
So I shot off a mail to TATA Motors Customer Care asking them to make the AMC operative after the end of the modified period of Company Warranty. And here is their response. I suppose, there's nothing to complain.

Dear Sir,

It is not possible that the AMC would be operative after expiry of warranty period.

AMC will run parallel with Company warranty.

Gold AMC covered Scheduled Services + Running Repairs

Schedule services Includes –Cost of Lubrications such as Engine oil, Gear oil, Coolant etc. + Cost of Service parts such as Oil filter, Fuel filter, Air Filter etc. This is not covered under manufacturer’s warranty.

Running repairs includes - Wear & Tear Parts such as Brake Pads. Clutch, A/C Gas, Brake Liners, Drive Belts, Wiper Blade Kit, Caliper Kit, Suspension Parts + Wheel Alignment & Balancing.

With Regards,

Dinesh Ramane
Customer Support-Mumbai PCBU
Old 14th January 2011, 16:29   #9
BHPian

Hi, I own TATA nano since last 6 months, have done 3000km
My daily running is 20km, moderate traffic. 50% 3rd gear and remaining in 4th.

I have accurately measured FE for all the fuel fillings so far.
My daily routine run delivers me 20.5KMPL and on high-way ( I have done this only once though - 160km on national high way ) it is 25KMPL.

So far I have faced only 1 problem - Headlight up-down switch fails. It works ok in 'down' mode but cannpot changeover to 'up' mode. I have to show this to service center.

Below issues always wondered me -
1. Why no dedicated space for Music system speakers ?
2. Why engine is noisy even though number of cylinders are less than other cars ?
3.Why fuel economy is low when Japan Kei cars or smart-for-two delivers 27kmpl? , heard news about Toyota Yaris FE is 25+..Is nano's engine technology premitive?
ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote