Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 12:02   #181
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
They had Mindas like the one fitted on your Silver Rocket. Very nice. But I wanted to compare them against the Stebels. .
Fit the Hella Red grills if you want louder horn.
It's very good for highway driving... a total of 118db

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hey dot, I've always been curious about one thing in the Civic. Is there any particular reason why only it's only the Civic in it's segment that has centre-configuration wipers?

Any technical reason or just a novelty factor?
I hope scissor wipers do add visibility when doing their job.
I have found it to be very useful... This almost covers whole of the windshield when wiping.
Also the Wiper blades when wiping, the left doesn't come near the right wiper, so adding a slight improvement in visibility too.

Novelty --- Yes.... It definetely looks super cool..
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 13:25   #182
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hey dot, I've always been curious about one thing in the Civic. Is there any particular reason why only it's only the Civic in it's segment that has centre-configuration wipers?

Any technical reason or just a novelty factor?
I reckon for the novelty factor. But as Susrutha says, visibility does increase as you dont get a water streak/rivulet at the center of the screen which occurs at the end stroke of the regular configuration.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 14:06   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 2,119 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

@dot; hearty congratulations to you on a fantastic buy! The Civic looks magnificent in this colour. I didnt know it was an auto. I have been on a manic hunt to locate all ownership threads that I have missed; managed to find yours via a note put up by mdsaab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I reckon for the novelty factor.
Can you please post/ repost a pic of the scissor wipers? Do you think the Jazz windscreen is big enough for installing these? And secondly, can it be done?!

Last edited by selfdrive : 29th June 2011 at 14:08.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 14:20   #184
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
@dot; hearty congratulations to you on a fantastic buy! The Civic looks magnificent in this colour. I didnt know it was an auto. I have been on a manic hunt to locate all ownership threads that I have missed; managed to find yours via a note put up by mdsaab

Can you please post/ repost a pic of the scissor wipers? Do you think the Jazz windscreen is big enough for installing these? And secondly, can it be done?!
Well, thanks. This ownership thread has been a sleeper anyways, so not a surprise that you have missed it!

Little nuggets of unnecessary info: Several times I have doubted whether the word preworshipped was appropriate or not for Scorponok. However two points have always given me support on this;

1. The day I had seen the car at Mahindra was the day it had arrived there. The lack of blemish supports the adjective.
2. Service history and my own history of last 7-8 months also points that way.

Coming back to scissor wipers. Jazz has wipers placed on windscreen like this
._ ._

or like this

._ _.

In case it is the first configuration, I dont think you can redo the mechanicals unless you take the car to DC or something.

Last edited by dot : 29th June 2011 at 14:22.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 14:39   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 2,119 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Well, thanks. This ownership thread has been a sleeper anyways, so not a surprise that you have missed it!
You cannot argue with 13 pages of the thread, it has to be termed a sleeper hit then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Coming back to scissor wipers. Jazz has wipers placed on windscreen like this ._ ._ or like this ._ _.

In case it is the first configuration, I dont think you can redo the mechanicals unless you take the car to DC or something.
I will check this and confirm, didnt really get the difference though. Perhaps you can confirm it when you see it next!

And DC? No thanks, I am willing to hang halfway outside the driver window and wipe the windscreen myself instead.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 15:12   #186
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
You cannot argue with 13 pages of the thread, it has to be termed a sleeper hit then!


And DC? No thanks, I am willing to hang halfway outside the driver window and wipe the windscreen myself instead.
HAHAHA. rofl.



Ok, coming back to wiper business, here is a link. I think Jazz has the configuration representated by Fig.1 in the page. Civic's configuration is shown in Fig. 2.

Windscreen wiper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 15:21   #187
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 2,119 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Ok, coming back to wiper business, here is a link. I think Jazz has the configuration representated by Fig.1 in the page. Civic's configuration is shown in Fig. 2.
Aah, now I get it, thanks again! Yes, jazz has the parallel wiper system as in Fig 1 (not sure what it is called).
I think it would be quite an effort (in terms of cost/ time) to get this changed to the scissor style.
'chalo paisa bach gaya' is the consolation statement I will use
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 19:35   #188
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,739
Thanked: 2,868 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I reckon for the novelty factor. But as Susrutha says, visibility does increase as you dont get a water streak/rivulet at the center of the screen which occurs at the end stroke of the regular configuration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I hope scissor wipers do add visibility when doing their job.
I have found it to be very useful... This almost covers whole of the windshield when wiping.
Also the Wiper blades when wiping, the left doesn't come near the right wiper, so adding a slight improvement in visibility too.

Novelty --- Yes.... It definetely looks super cool..
About the novelty factor, why is just the Civic then? There are similar fancy cars : Laura, Superb, Octavia, Accord from the Honda stable, BMWs; why is it just the Civic that gets preferential treatment?!

Secondly, with wipers hinged on the sides, isn't the centre portion of the windshield cleaned slightly less (owing to the circular periphery of the wipers)?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 20:28   #189
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
About the novelty factor, why is just the Civic then? There are similar fancy cars : Laura, Superb, Octavia, Accord from the Honda stable, BMWs; why is it just the Civic that gets preferential treatment?!
I remember seeing some old cars with this opposing-style wiper arrangement. I don't remember exactly if it was my uncle's old Fiat 1100 (probably not, going by pictures on the 'net) or a particular model/variant of the Amby or even a '69 model Padmini we had for a few years. So it's more retro than novel. Retro isn't very popular whereas novelty is (and so by definition isn't anymore).

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Secondly, with wipers hinged on the sides, isn't the centre portion of the windshield cleaned slightly less (owing to the circular periphery of the wipers)?
Yes, but that's near the top of the 'screen, almost behind the RVM. It doesn't affect visibility in the least. On all other cars, the area not cleaned falls directly in line-of-sight to the front left fender area. The Civic's wiper arrangement is a joy to say the least.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 21:02   #190
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
About the novelty factor, why is just the Civic then? There are similar fancy cars : Laura, Superb, Octavia, Accord from the Honda stable, BMWs;


why is it just the Civic that gets preferential treatment?!
Thank goodness they dont!

As Spadix said, they are a joy to watch, almost poetry in motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Secondly, with wipers hinged on the sides, isn't the centre portion of the windshield cleaned slightly less (owing to the circular periphery of the wipers)?
The two arms overlap. So wiper action cleans off the entire screen. There are no weak areas.

Last edited by dot : 29th June 2011 at 21:04.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 21:13   #191
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,739
Thanked: 2,868 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Thank goodness they dont!

As Spadix said, they are a joy to watch, almost poetry in motion.
Tell me about it. I I can spend hours watching the wipers clean the windshield when its raining!

Quote:
The two arms overlap. So wiper action cleans off the entire screen. There are no weak areas.
Ah, ok.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 21:22   #192
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Tell me about it. I I can spend hours watching the wipers clean the windshield when its raining!
I suppose you have been in a Civic when it was raining.

This reminds me of a scene from Basic Instincts. Michael Douglas and Catherine Tramell are in a car while it is raining outside. And it is dark. The light reflections on their faces are surreal.

Last edited by dot : 29th June 2011 at 21:43.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 21:28   #193
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,739
Thanked: 2,868 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I suppose you have been in a Civic when it was raining.

This reminds me of a scene from Basic Instincts. Micheal Douglas and Catherine Tramell are in a car while it is raining outside. And it is dark. The light reflections on their faces are surreal.
Nope, not been in a Civic; but I am just as possessed by the usual wiper configuration.

Btw, all the Volvos have them too. Seems like they are dancing to some melody!

PS : I wonder what must be going through someone's mind when he reads our posts glorifying a wiper!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 21:41   #194
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
PS : I wonder what must be going through someone's mind when he reads our posts glorifying a wiper!
If they have trudged through all the pages of this thread, they would be certainly Bhpians and unimpressed.

If they are not, then, "hello, welcome to TBHP"
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 21:42   #195
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

@dot,

Sorry I am a bit late in reading your great account of the Civic buy.My apologies.dot,I must say it is a fantastic buy,very well executed.And your efforts have really paid you.The car looks immaculate!Hope she is still going great guns.

dot, just one small doubt-the civic seats are rather low set I believe. How are they for lower back in general? heard of anyone complaining of low set seats affecting their backs?

Enjoy your great car.BTW,is the Ikon still in service?

Rgds,charthom.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scorponok visits Bhigwan dot Travelogues 15 12th March 2012 23:01
*Installed* : Vtec indicator in my Honda Civic dot Technical Stuff 46 16th July 2011 15:25
Honda City Vs Honda Civic E Vs Honda Civic V (pre-owned) drkunaldas Sedans 4 31st October 2010 18:07
Our "Preworshipped" Civic Sailor Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 8 23rd September 2010 11:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks