Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 22:02   #196
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
dot, just one small doubt-the civic seats are rather low set I believe. How are they for lower back in general? heard of anyone complaining of low set seats affecting their backs?

Enjoy your great car.BTW,is the Ikon still in service?
Thanks!

Civic's seats are pretty good and comfortable. Recently I had to drive for almost 16 hours on the trot. At the end of the day, there were no back pain issues. As I had mentioned on your City review, I do have a weak back, so firm seats are critical for me.

However Ikon's seats are better!!
Unfortunately we had to sell the Ikon. For the new owner, it will be a real preworshipped car! He has named her "Butch", came to know recently when he called me up for some tips.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 08:17   #197
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Yep them Civic wipers are a special couple aren't they.
Just look at us praising them post after post.
Incidentally our Merc 115 also had the same wiper configuration as the Civic.
The wipers had a chrome finish and looked majestic. To spray water on the windshield. there was a pedal behind the clutch which you need to depress. Pretty unique.

Coming to the Civic seats.
The car is a low set one. Getting into the Civic can be a chore at times, especially for Senior Citizens. But one thing for sure. Once you are in seats whether front or back. You have ample support and space and it truly is a comfortable place to be seated in.
And as Dot mentioned even for those long 12+ hours drives. You exit the vehicle and are still feel relatively fresh.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 09:41   #198
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Incidentally our Merc 115 also had the same wiper configuration as the Civic.
Interesting, the wiki link that I had posted yesterday said the same thing for W114. Naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Coming to the Civic seats.
But one thing for sure. Once you are in seats whether front or back. You have ample support and space and it truly is a comfortable place to be seated in.
Only once I had the opportunity to sit on the back seat. It was mighty comfortable.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 09:54   #199
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Only once I had the opportunity to sit on the back seat. It was mighty comfortable.
I can tell you the times when i sat in the back counting on my fingers.
1. When the Civic came home for a test drive.
2. When the folks at Honda took us to the stockyard to check out Chicca for the first time ever.
3. When you drove us home after Chicca got rear ended. and i thank you once again for coming down all the way and doing that for us.

Other times i have sat at the back just chilling and listening to some music. But never been driven around.

Chalo, the next time we meet, will take you for a spin and you sit at the back this time round.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 10:25   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 600 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Getting into the Civic can be a chore at times, especially for Senior Citizens. But one thing for sure. Once you are in seats whether front or back. You exit the vehicle and are still feel relatively fresh.
I can vouch for those two points mdsaab. My mom has this arthritis problem and she finds it very difficult to get into and sit in the Civic. The Santro which I had before this never ever posed a problem. But at the end of a long trip that I did, she said, the car rides like a dream but only thing is entry is quite challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I can tell you the times when i sat in the back counting on my fingers
Not once have I got a chance to sit and being chaffeured around in the Civic.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 12:14   #201
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
just one small doubt-the civic seats are rather low set I believe. How are they for lower back in general? heard of anyone complaining of low set seats affecting their backs?
No complaints on the seating comfort.
One can drive for hours without any pain or uncomfort.
Back seat is fantastic.

But definetely INGRESS, EGRESS is slightly uncomfortable for the Elder ones and heavily built.

Regarding the Wiper blades ..
I love the Fiat UNO(Some Merc also) wiper too,
Those single blade wipers look awesome when doing their Job.
But they are not as effective as the CIVIC wipers in cleaning depatment, coz they don't cover the side upper portion of the windscreen.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 12:53   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 500 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

About the seating comfort, I can vow from my recent 2400 kms trip from Delhi to Bangalore in 2 and half days. With a drive time of 10-12 hrs per day, never felt exhausted, and after each break for 20-30 mins, once wrapped in the seat, it always brings a smile or two in anticipation for the sweet tune of the VTEC and fun driving ahead in deserted highways!

Last edited by iTNerd : 30th June 2011 at 12:55.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 13:09   #203
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Thanks!

Civic's seats are pretty good and comfortable. Recently I had to drive for almost 16 hours on the trot. At the end of the day, there were no back pain issues. As I had mentioned on your City review, I do have a weak back, so firm seats are critical for me.

However Ikon's seats are better!!
Unfortunately we had to sell the Ikon. For the new owner, it will be a real preworshipped car! He has named her "Butch", came to know recently when he called me up for some tips.
@dot,sorry for forgetting that you too has back problem-apologies.You sure are a worthy BHPian,driving at a trot for 16 hrs despite a bad back!! Hope the City seats too will
be nearly as comfortable on long drives.

Sorry about the Ikon-me too have fond memories of my first Santro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post

Coming to the Civic seats.
The car is a low set one. Getting into the Civic can be a chore at times, especially for Senior Citizens. But one thing for sure. Once you are in seats whether front or back. You have ample support and space and it truly is a comfortable place to be seated in.
And as Dot mentioned even for those long 12+ hours drives. You exit the vehicle and are still feel relatively fresh.
Nice to note this.Ingress and egress were a concern for me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I can vouch for those two points mdsaab. My mom has this arthritis problem and she finds it very difficult to get into and sit in the Civic. The Santro which I had before this never ever posed a problem. But at the end of a long trip that I did, she said, the car rides like a dream but only thing is entry is quite challenging.
My wife had the same situation-though she has improved tremendously now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
No complaints on the seating comfort.
One can drive for hours without any pain or uncomfort.
Back seat is fantastic.

But definetely INGRESS, EGRESS is slightly uncomfortable for the Elder ones and heavily built.
Nice to note this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
About the seating comfort, I can vow from my recent 2400 kms trip from Delhi to Bangalore in 2 and half days. With a drive time of 10-12 hrs per day, never felt exhausted, and after each break for 20-30 mins, once wrapped in the seat, it always brings a smile or two in anticipation for the sweet tune of the VTEC and fun driving ahead in deserted highways!
This, again, is obviously the endorsement from another die hard Petrolhead.
Hope both Civic and City will keep us all busy grinning from ear to ear!!
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 13:39   #204
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I can vouch for those two points mdsaab. My mom has this arthritis problem and she finds it very difficult to get into and sit in the Civic.
My mother has categorically declined to sit in the Civic for longer than 4 hours. She's mildly arthritic and is thoroughly spoilt by the firm, high-set rear seat of Dad's Indigo. Even a short 200 km drive from Hyderabad to Basar (around 3-3.5 hrs door to door including breaks and all) and back was difficult for her.

In the city, however, she thoroughly enjoys the spacious, comfortable and noise-insulated cabin a lot. The effective AC also helps.

My in-laws have had no problem on a 5-day 1670 km tour we did last December. No arthritis there but ingress/egress is a royal pain for them. Once inside, they stretch out and relax thoroughly.

I've had the opportunity to ride in the Civic's rear seat for at least 300 kms on highways and I think it's more comfortable than the front seat!

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 13:59   #205
BHPian
 
patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
My in-laws have had no problem on a 5-day 1670 km tour we did last December.
You went on a 1670 km trip with your in-laws?? Hat's of to you mate!! The max I did was 3-4 kms and twice while picking up and dropping from the railway station.

Completely agree that on long drives the seats and the leg room make the Civic one of the better cars in the market now.
patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 16:21   #206
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
You went on a 1670 km trip with your in-laws?? Hat's of to you mate!! The max I did was 3-4 kms and twice while picking up and dropping from the railway station.

Completely agree that on long drives the seats and the leg room make the Civic one of the better cars in the market now.
That had me in splits

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
My mother has categorically declined to sit in the Civic for longer than 4 hours. She's mildly arthritic and is thoroughly spoilt by the firm, high-set rear seat of Dad's Indigo. Even a short 200 km drive from Hyderabad to Basar (around 3-3.5 hrs door to door including breaks and all) and back was difficult for her.

In the city, however, she thoroughly enjoys the spacious, comfortable and noise-insulated cabin a lot. The effective AC also helps.

My in-laws have had no problem on a 5-day 1670 km tour we did last December. No arthritis there but ingress/egress is a royal pain for them. Once inside, they stretch out and relax thoroughly.

I've had the opportunity to ride in the Civic's rear seat for at least 300 kms on highways and I think it's more comfortable than the front seat!

Regards,
spadix
you know what, the indica as well as indigo seats are extremely spacious, high set and comfy. I remember those mumbai-pune drives in the back of a cab. Fantastic!
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 17:12   #207
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I've had the opportunity to ride in the Civic's rear seat for at least 300 kms on highways and I think it's more comfortable than the front seat!

Regards,
spadix
I have never had the chance to ride in the back seat of my car as its me at the wheel all the time. I have a phobia of allowing someone to drive my car and sit at the back.

Having said that, the driver's seat puts one in a state of bliss and thanks to the dead pedal which keeps the left leg at ease during long drives. I have a spinal disc prolapse problem for the last 20 years (yes, you read that right) and I can vouch for the comfort of the seats in the Civic. The Esteem comes second here.

EDIT: I agree Ingress/Egress is certainly not as good as the tall boy design cars.

Last edited by rr_zen : 30th June 2011 at 17:15.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 17:32   #208
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
That had me in splits
Me too! Excellent quip that was from Patron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have never had the chance to ride in the back seat of my car as its me at the wheel all the time. I have a phobia of allowing someone to drive my car and sit at the back.
In my case it was my wife driving and I was feeling sleepy. I shift to the back seat when I feel sleepy. The sight of a co-driver nodding off every once in a while can totally distract the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Having said that, the driver's seat puts one in a state of bliss and thanks to the dead pedal which keeps the left leg at ease during long drives. I have a spinal disc prolapse problem for the last 20 years (yes, you read that right) and I can vouch for the comfort of the seats in the Civic. The Esteem comes second here.
I just wish the seat was a little firmer, though. A severe upper + middle back issue (thankfully not a disc problem) that initially surfaced 3 years back and required some sustained physiotherapy is showing signs of a relapse. While it's primarily due to me sitting in front of a computer for hours together every day, it would be nice if the one hour I spend in the car everyday was even better than it now is. A firmer seat would be of great help in this regard.

I remember how changing from stock seat covers to some aftermarket stuff in my old 800 made things considerably worse, so I'm a little paranoid of messing with the stock leather covers. For now, slight changes in the seat back angle and seat height do the trick for me.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 20:46   #209
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default

Spadix, your wife drives. You are one lucky guy buddy.
Am thinking of buying a small AT hatch for my wife.
Will make it a point to sit in the back more often then.
And once she is comfortable in the small hatch.
Will promote her to the Civic.
Acres of legroom, audio controls at my fingertips.
I cant wait!

Last edited by mdsaab : 30th June 2011 at 20:47.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 21:41   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
danlalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: mumbai,JUHU
Posts: 1,597
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Just happened to be browsing through civic threads and saw DOT. Iam going through a similar transformation from a Ford Ikon 1.6 to a Civic 1.8 Mt. Am on the look out. Sp please anyone have some leads let me know.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scorponok visits Bhigwan dot Travelogues 15 12th March 2012 23:01
*Installed* : Vtec indicator in my Honda Civic dot Technical Stuff 46 16th July 2011 15:25
Honda City Vs Honda Civic E Vs Honda Civic V (pre-owned) drkunaldas Sedans 4 31st October 2010 18:07
Our "Preworshipped" Civic Sailor Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 8 23rd September 2010 11:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks