Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th May 2011, 14:03   #106
dot
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Civic's wheel base is 2700mm, which is quite long when you compare with other cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Possibly, it is the same reason why Civic has so much space inside the cabin!
Exactly, long wheelbase coupled with cab forward design results in a large cabin area. This translates to excellent rear legroom space. Remember a 2008 Jetta, Laura and Civic comparo in "Overdrive" mag. Rear legroom in Civic was highest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
@dot glad that it was just an experiment and done in the know. So good i did not chalk this down in the civic bottomed book.
Thanks man. Today I did one more experiment. A colleague's wedding was at Paud Road. So took four heftiest of people from office and drove from Kalyani Nagar - Sangamwadi - JM Road- Paud Road. Came back through Swargate, Camp-KP. Literarily most of Pune. No bottoming out anywhere.

Quote:
Pre-worshipped - a pre owned car that was springly used and was not abused like the regular pre-owned cars! No accidents, no tinkering around, nothing suspicious!
Nicely put.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 16:55   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Congratulations, I know though a belated one .
Haven't seen a pic of your car, If you Don't mind please share a pic of it.
Hey Sushrutha,

The picture is in the link below provided by ace !

Quote:
@ normally_crazy - not done NC, you owe us an ownership report with tons of pics, something more like the vRS! Time to get further ahead from here!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...le-whammy.html (It's a DOUBLE WHAMMY)

Work on it, you lazy bum! haha...
I know I am one big lazy bum - but yeah the LTR coming soon.

Yea with pictures too
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 17:00   #108
Senior - BHPian

Hey N_C
saw the pics.. the car looks spanking new.
Good choice of colour too.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 19:05   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Exactly, long wheelbase coupled with cab forward design results in a large cabin area. This translates to excellent rear legroom space. Remember a 2008 Jetta, Laura and Civic comparo in "Overdrive" mag. Rear legroom in Civic was highest.
Yep, I had to dig down deep to find the particular OD edition and here it is!
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-1.jpg
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-2.jpg
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-3.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I know I am one big lazy bum - but yeah the LTR coming soon.

Yea with pictures too
Looking forward to it, NC! Just one quick question (not mean to hijack dot's thread), How will you rate the driving pleasure in Civic compared to best driver's car in India this side of 20 lacs, the vRS!

I bet you miss the whoosh of the turbo (and the black interiors ) , don't you?
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 20:31   #110
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The picture is in the link below provided by ace !
Nice pictures. You got a 08 car with low miles too. Looking forward for ownership experience!

Quote:
Yep, I had to dig down deep to find the particular OD edition and here it is!
Great of you to post the OD pages. So the pictures of the person in the rear seat on the three cars does show how the leg room varies. I have the preserved the same issue. However I was eyeing the Jetta that time. A TD of Jetta changed everything later. Civic was nowhere in contention due to its petrol engine. How things change
Old 6th May 2011, 20:41   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the pictures of the person in the rear seat on the three cars does show how the leg room varies.
Yep, basically Laura and Jetta has same amount of space, be it legroom or the shoulder room! Civic is more spacious than both. IIRC, Civic's rear space is just a few mm less than the Accord which IMO is quite an achievement.

I have sat in the back seat of my car only thrice and everytime I sit there, I can't help saying, "gosh, I love the rear seat comfort of this car" . Of course, the road conditions and speed of the car also play their role! Civic is a bit bouncy in the back at slow speeds!

Quote:
I have the preserved the same issue. However I was eyeing the Jetta that time. A TD of Jetta changed everything later. Civic was nowhere in contention due to its petrol engine. How things change
Did I ever tell you guys that Octavia L&K (in black color) used to be my dream car before Civic was launched in July '06! So yeah, it funny how things change.
Ace F355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 23:03   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man. Today I did one more experiment.
That takes some courage, man!

I've been in such situations but not because I wanted to experiment. Thankfully, BQ didn't "let herself down" .

This was after I got the hang of it, though. I wish I'd known on day 2 :(.

Quote:
Did I ever tell you guys that Octavia L&K (in black color) used to be my dream car before Civic was launched in July '06! So yeah, it funny how things change.
I have a confession to make. The Civic enthralled me ever since it was launched. In a strange sort of way, mind wanted the vRS and heart wanted the Civic (I'd test-driven both). Thankfully, Skoda discontinued the vRS and made my choice easy some 4 years after the Civic's launch!

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 6th May 2011 at 23:15.
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 06:24   #113
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
That takes some courage, man!

I've been in such situations but not because I wanted to experiment. Thankfully, BQ didn't "let herself down"
Actually long time back a Chinese friend named Dingsong had one told me that cars are much stronger than you think. This was when I had bottomed out my Altima and was fretting about it. I have not forgotten that.

Quote:
This was after I got the hang of it, though. I wish I'd known on day 2 :(.
Did you get the chrome exhaust tip replaced. I think I saw one such part at Galaxy, a car accessory shop in Cochin.

Looks like lot of folks were smitten by Laura/Octavia before Civic happened. I would be lying if I write that I am not part of that gang.
Old 7th May 2011, 11:59   #114
Senior - BHPian

Hi dot,
Saw the discussions around the reasons for the Civic to be bottoming out. My neighbouring parking bay has a Civic and hence had a good look at it last Sunday. This chap's Civic has a funny issue - as I saw it.

This Civic has the right side of its frame - bottom intact. Not a single dent.
But the left side ! Boy looks as though it has just emerged from the Battle of the Bulge. That it has dents on the dents would be putting it mildly. Not sure why but the left side frame bottom is totally smashed time after time. And most of the dents are at the middle. Just below the 'B' pillar and around it.

Anyway to continue the TFort has a wheel base of 2750 mm (GC- 221 mm) and the Civic 2700 mm (GC 170mm). However the ground clearance figures can throw people off track. For example the GC of the Scorp is 180 mm only. But you'll see most parts below the vehicle much higher. So GC is the measurement of distance the lowest point/part of the vehicle from the ground. In the case of the Scorp it is the rear differential. The Nano has a GC of 180 mm.
What I am getting at is that in the Civic if you peer under - the entire frame and the underbody parts line is at possibly 170 mm. Combine that with the wheel base of 2700 mm.

So the wheel base length, as per me, is truly the culprit.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 14:01   #115
BHPian

One of the biggest plus point (long wheelbase) of the Civic turns out to be its biggest negative point as well.
TBH, I feel Honda has not tuned the Civic very well for India. The suspension settings are inclined towards comforts entirely. Had they given the car slightly firms springs/suspension we wouldn't be having this discussion. Also giving it 15" wheels as opposed to 16" that the rest of the world gets has added to the car's woes.

I've just scrapped the bottom of my car on the very second day I got it home but fortunately I've learned my lesson and am extra caution now on speed err car breakers.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 7th May 2011 at 14:03.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 14:07   #116
Senior - BHPian

@dot same experience here, you can take the civic literally anywhere in Pune without having to fear.
Yep, i too was a skoda oggler before the civic came out.
Actually have noticed that the german's don't believe in too much leg room at the rear.
even the passat has less legroom at the rear than the civic.
if you look at the rear legroom figures of the new Merc E min/max 68/95 cm
and the civic min/max 70/93 cm
the civic actually has more min legroom than the E, but with the front seats all the way forwards the new E only has 2 cm more than the civic
Quite a big achievement by Honda eh?
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 14:47   #117
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
This Civic has the right side of its frame - bottom intact. Not a single dent.
But the left side ! Boy looks as though it has just emerged from the Battle of the Bulge. That it has dents on the dents would be putting it mildly. Not sure why but the left side frame bottom is totally smashed time after time. And most of the dents are at the middle. Just below the 'B' pillar and around it.

So the wheel base length, as per me, is truly the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
One of the biggest plus point (long wheelbase) of the Civic turns out to be its biggest negative point as well.

Had they given the car slightly firms springs/suspension we wouldn't be having this discussion.

No doubt about it. In cars with smaller wheelbase, by the time the front wheels crosses the peak of a bump the rears are already climbing it. For a long wheelbase car like Civic, this event occurs sequentially. Civic is like a bus. But then bus has a very high GC.

Very easy to visualize in a simplistic lego model. My son makes his cars on legos. When he places the wheels at the ends, invariable the model gets stuck in a undulation as the chassis makes contact with the "road". When the wheels are brought closer the issue goes away. Simplistic I know. But imagine that there was a hard suspension on the lego car, then this scenario becomes realistic.

@Guderian, Didnt understand why only left side of your neighbor's car got hit repeatedly. Maybe the driver (your friend) is misjudging the width, or subconsciously protecting his side of the car

@Hiren, with the runners, now you are all set hopefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post

if you look at the rear legroom figures of the new Merc E min/max 68/95 cm
and the civic min/max 70/93 cm
the civic actually has more min legroom than the E, but with the front seats all the way forwards the new E only has 2 cm more than the civic
Quite a big achievement by Honda eh?
Wow, didnt know that. Thanks for sharing.

My wife saw the 3 Series Beemer and wondered that after spending all that money there is no space at the rear.
Old 7th May 2011, 16:13   #118
BHPian

Quote:
No doubt about it. In cars with smaller wheelbase, by the time the front wheels crosses the peak of a bump the rears are already climbing it. For a long wheelbase car like Civic, this event occurs sequentially. Civic is like a bus. But then bus has a very high GC.

@Hiren, with the runners, now you are all set hopefully!
True, absolutely spot on.
And yes, I am very, very happy with the runners. The suspension bottoming out issue has been taken care of to a great extent. So its doing what its meant to do. So far so good.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 18:14   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
mind wanted the vRS and heart wanted the Civic
What a dilemma to be in, eh!

Quote:
My wife saw the 3 Series Beemer and wondered that after spending all that money there is no space at the rear.
The money goes into all the pleasure of driving a car with gem of an engine, one beautifully sorted chassis and lastly, a blue and white propeller on the hood reading BMW!
Ace F355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 19:46   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How will you rate the driving pleasure in Civic compared to best driver's car in India this side of 20 lacs, the vRS!

I bet you miss the whoosh of the turbo (and the black interiors ) , don't you?
Black interiors for sure though - and the vRS was a hoot to drive. The civic is also a good car but the power is all on the higher side of the rev band. Given a choice -the vRS it is.

But the best driver's car this side of 20 L for me has to be the Ford iKon by a long way (amongst the cars I have driven extensively)
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote