Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th April 2011, 12:36   #151

Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

hey ventoman
read every word of this brilliant thread. am expecting my Vento next week (fingers crossed). white diesel highline. waiting since Oct 10.
thanks for all the info.
am particularly interested in your ICE mods, as thats one thing i really felt was missing in OEM.
also, how important are the tyre and light upgrades? absolutely crucial? and do they have to be done on day 1? or can they be done later?

will keep you, and everyone here, posted about progress on my most awaited.
abe_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 20:23   #152
Team-BHP Support

@ventoman- can you post more details about the Pioneer AVH 3300BT? What you like and don't, comparison with the Witson HU etc. I am torn between the Caska GPS/DVD/Bluetooth unit and something "simple" like the Pio 4250. Looking at all possible options and your inputs would be helpful.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 14:12   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe_k View Post
hey ventoman
read every word of this brilliant thread. am expecting my Vento next week (fingers crossed). white diesel highline. waiting since Oct 10.
thanks for all the info.
am particularly interested in your ICE mods, as thats one thing i really felt was missing in OEM.
also, how important are the tyre and light upgrades? absolutely crucial? and do they have to be done on day 1? or can they be done later?

will keep you, and everyone here, posted about progress on my most awaited.
Thanks and hope you get your vento soon.
Lights are absolutely necessary. Tyres..its upto you. If you want minimal road noise and smooth ride over pot holes, tyre upgrade is a must. I did it on day one, as I wanted these + buyback value of Apollo was better when its unused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@ventoman- can you post more details about the Pioneer AVH 3300BT? What you like and don't, comparison with the Witson HU etc. I am torn between the Caska GPS/DVD/Bluetooth unit and something "simple" like the Pio 4250. Looking at all possible options and your inputs would be helpful.
ICE mod is a real torture, as you have tons of options, but never a perfect one.
Will post the details about 3300BT by evening.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 14:17   #154
Senior - BHPian

I think going with dual din touch screen HU from Pioneer or Kenwood (detachable) would be better quality wise. It will have many options for extending the system too.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 15:27   #155
BHPian

Thumbs up Pioneer AVH 3300BT

Time to update about 3300BT after using it for 1.5 months.
Below is mainly in comparison with the Witson unit that I had for 3 months.

Pros
1) Very nice and easy to use interface
2) Tons of equaliser options
3) Reverse camera compatibility. Screen shows reverse cam automatically when you engage the reverse gear.
4) Seamless Bluetooth integration with my HTC Hero and can accomodate 5 phones. Shows address book and missed/received/dialled list quite easily. It was a pain with Witson.
5) Fantastic ipod integration. Shows album arts etc. Witson's interface was very basic.
**App mode is something new on this model. Supposed to show Pandora and other apps that can video out from your iphone/ipod touch. I am yet to try this, as I dont own either**
6) 3 Hi-Volt RCA preouts** something new in this model**
7) Much, much better sound clarity
8) Radio has RDS capability
9) Dual zone functionality
10) Variable button illuminations
11) Aux in
12) peaceful warranty and support. This model and 3200BT are very common in Bangalore.

Cons
1) Front USB. I dont like this. With Witson, I had both front and rear. I had a lead running through into the glovebox from rear.
2) Missing the GPS capabilities of Witson. I might go in for a GPS plug-in sometime soon, given that this unit is navigation ready
3) Reading from USB, SD card is slow (16GB card takes about 30-40 secs to read and then display).
4) 5.8" screen compared to 6.5" from Witson
5) No remote (although I seldom use one in the car)

Now time for some snaps (Sorry they were taken in the night. Hence some of them have shaken a bit)

Pioneer 3300BT in Vento's dash
Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0013.jpg

ipod interface
Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0014.jpg

ipod video
Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0016.jpg

Radio
Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0017.jpg
Playing from SD Card
Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0018.jpg

Bluetooth option
Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0020.jpg
Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0021.jpg
Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0022.jpg
Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0023.jpg

Illumination option
Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0024.jpg

Reverse cam option
Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0025.jpg

PS: Hoorah! my 100th post as well.
Old 11th April 2011, 19:02   #156
BHPian

Cool!!!. have you changed the speakers as well?. And yes, USB from behind was much better..

How much did it cost you?
motorhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 12:50   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
have you changed the speakers as well?.
Yes. That was long back. Front has Hertz and rear has Polk speakers. Makes a world of difference when compared to the stock ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
How much did it cost you?
Well, I bought it from UK wherein after 10% discount and 14% VaT refund,it came to under 20k INR. I believe its selling out here for 30-35k.

Last edited by ventoman : 12th April 2011 at 12:52.
Old 11th May 2011, 16:41   #158
BHPian

Default Trip to Kannur

Been on a weekend trip to Kannur Beach in Kerala with few friends in Vento and my friend's Verna.

Onward
Started from Bangalore at 11am on Friday and reached Kannur by 10pm. Stopped over at Mandya for lunch and then proceeded to Kannur via Srirangapatna, Hunsur, Gonikuppa, Iritty,Mattanur, Chowa Jn and reached Kannur beach.

The route was great except for a 12km stretch in the Hunsur-Gonikuppa Stretch. The route from Gonikuppa to Mattanur is a driver's delight. Lots of curves, hairpin bends and downhill most of the time. Vento cruised through the route with ease and took the curves at 70-80kmph.

Stay
Stayed at the resort on saturday and enjoyed the beach. The resort staff were very courteous and fed us royally with sea food. The resort was on a small hillock and the beach was right down the resort. We did have a go at fishing as well. With all these activities, we didn't feel like going outside and stayed in the resort for the whole day. Finally after a gorgeous sunset, we went out for a small ride to explore the town and returned back for a sumptous dinner at resort.

Return
Started from Kannur at 11am on Sunday and came back the same route. The Mattanur-Gonikuppa stretch was even more fantastic despite being uphill this time. We enjoyed it more than the onward, as we now took the stretch in daylight. With 4 people and boot full of luggage, it took uphill curves and bends in 3rd or 4th gear at 60-70kmph speed. Stopped over at Mandya for a late lunch and reached Bangalore by 8pm.

Overall a very good time spent.
Total kms = 750kms
FE = 18.6kmpl (despite hill rides)
Journey time (each way) = 7 hours.

Photos

Resort

Name:  DSCN0473.jpg
Views: 2364
Size:  184.3 KB

Beach

Name:  pondi 929.jpg
Views: 2381
Size:  111.8 KB

The only downside was that the interior surveillance and light kit fell off a couple of times while taking bad potholes. This never happened before and I am planning to take it to VW service centre next week.

This coming weekend, Vento is gearing up for another long ride to Coimbatore
Old 12th May 2011, 01:40   #159
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Trip to Kannur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post

The only downside was that the interior surveillance and light kit fell off a couple of times while taking bad potholes. This never happened before and I am planning to take it to VW service centre next week.
I have exactly the same problem since i took delivery of the car where the entire unit used to fall off - I could make out that the clips were not tight enough , the unit is pretty heavy for it to hold . Since its a minor problem I applied a little good old fevicol on the edges of the black perimeter and popped it back into place. Its fine ever since - using fevicol allows the flexibility that if required, at a later date, the unit can be brought out
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 17:01   #160
BHPian

Default Re: Trip to Kannur

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I have exactly the same problem since i took delivery of the car where the entire unit used to fall off - I could make out that the clips were not tight enough , the unit is pretty heavy for it to hold . Since its a minor problem I applied a little good old fevicol on the edges of the black perimeter and popped it back into place. Its fine ever since - using fevicol allows the flexibility that if required, at a later date, the unit can be brought out
Thanks for the tip. I'll do it over the weekend.
But its really annoying to see the interior fall apart on a 11L car within 6 months .
Old 17th May 2011, 13:20   #161
BHPian

Hey guys I didn't understand what fell off? What is interior surveillance ? Is it there on polo?
Frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 16:39   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Hey guys I didn't understand what fell off? What is interior surveillance ? Is it there on polo?
This part fell off.
Name:  interior.JPG
Views: 3602
Size:  27.8 KB
Old 19th May 2011, 19:11   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
This part fell off.
Attachment 546617
That's really shocking!! That part (especially because it contains the surveillance sensors) is supposed to have a permanent fit into the ceiling!

Try writing about this to vento@volkswagen.co.in as ask for their clarification; particularly their quality management.

Also, once it is refitted, you may want to get the surveillance sensor alignment checked. Not sure how they check it though.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 19:48   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
Also, once it is refitted, you may want to get the surveillance sensor alignment checked. Not sure how they check it though.
Its fairly easy , sit inside the car and lock it. Since its supposed to detect motion , you should move .. the alarm ( i.e. the car horn) should sound after a gap of 30 seconds
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 18:04   #165
BHPian

Default Front Demister

Guys,

I have one other problem apart from the falling surveillance. I plan to visit VW next week and raise this during the summer camp (Yes, I got the invite letter as well).

The front demister when engaged does clear the mist thats formed on the inside of windscreen. However, after that it forms a misty layer towards the bottom on the outside. This makes it difficult in the night and not sure why its happening. Even if I tend to clear it with wiper, it resurfaces again shortly.

Other Vento owners, have you ever experienced this?