Old 25th September 2011, 12:45   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Hard luck , does not seem like the car for you . On your specific points
Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan View Post
Hi all,

Today I test drove 18,000 kms old -Vento TDI. Here my comments
1. Very hard clutch. In line with commander Jeep. And some push back effect also while releasing the clutch.
The clutch remains hard and eases up a bit after the initial run in
2. Totally in-consistent (I mean non linear) power delivery.
Thats what we love about the car !! The sudden rush once you cross 1800 - 2000 rpm is the USP of the engine and thats what makes this car one of the fastest off the blocks. It can beat a 2.4 ltr Accord to a sprint - its unlike the new Hyundai Verna
3. Pathetic steering (I mean, in slow speed I was just playing with the steering - turning left & right - around 10-15 degress!! but vehicle travels in straight line). There is so much "play" available in steering.
The steering maybe light but it certainly does not have a play. It's precise - thats been my experience . In fact because of the preciseness of the steering , parking this car in tight spots is a breeze

Just I cannot believe this in Rs10 lacs car. Given a choice between my 6 yrs old (75k kms) Baleno Vs 20,000 kms old Vento , I will opt for my Baleno.

Baleno is a dinosaur as compared to the Vento in terms of technology , handling, comfort , features, build quality but again each one to his own ! All the best .

Regards,
Prasanna
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 20:08   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Hard luck , does not seem like the car for you . On your specific points
Please don't say defect as feature. Does Jetta gives similar in-consistent power delivery?

And I tried to same playing with new fiesta steering. The car nicely and gracefully turns left and right. I could not try the same in Linea TJET, because its not as nimble as Fiesta.

Regards,
Prasanna
P.S: Even though I own a TJET, I don't mind taking my brother-in-laws 75k kms old Baleno to office on any day!!
prkothan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 20:51   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I test drove 18,000 kms old -Vento TDI. Here my comments
1. Very hard clutch. In line with commander Jeep. And some push back effect also while releasing the clutch.
2. Totally in-consistent (I mean non linear) power delivery.
3. Pathetic steering (I mean, in slow speed I was just playing with the steering - turning left & right - around 10-15 degress!! but vehicle travels in straight line). There is so much "play" available in steering.
Just I cannot believe this in Rs10 lacs car. Given a choice between my 6 yrs old (75k kms) Baleno Vs 20,000 kms old Vento , I will opt for my Baleno.
Regards,
Prasanna
Hard clutch? Maybe. I never complained although it is my first diesel. But to be fair, I am accustomed to the one on Palio and trust me it is 2X hard. But I never complain. Maybe you need stronger calf muscles. However the vibration in clutch pedal is annoying. My dad shot down my argument, saying is an excuse for a clutch rider. Better change your driving style.

Inconsistent power delivery- Not if you keep the revs above 1500. Or if you are below 1500 be sedate. BTW Vento has the least lag in its segment and the maximum pull. As a petrol user I can understand it will take some time for you to understand its behaviour. And when you do, you will consider N/A petrols untouchables.

The steering is light and very accurate, it is super sensitive if not hypersensitive (fiesta). It does not have any play!

1) For 10L you get a diesel sedan
2) with minimal turbo lag
3) and a meaty torque
4) with an oil burner that revs almost like a petrol.
5) You get best in class interior built quality, fit and finish
6) and class leading space for the segment.
7) And not to mention the perfect ride quality
8) and great handling combination.
9) You get most of the much needed features
10) And superior comfort for the back benchers (Rear AC vents + Adequate thigh support + low window line)
11) And all that with a German Tag.

I think 10L price is more than justified for this car. But mind it. It is not 10L. Not any more.

Last edited by oxyzen : 25th September 2011 at 20:53.
oxyzen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 21:45   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please don't say defect as feature. Does Jetta gives similar in-consistent power delivery?

And I tried to same playing with new fiesta steering. The car nicely and gracefully turns left and right. I could not try the same in Linea TJET, because its not as nimble as Fiesta.

Regards,
Prasanna
P.S: Even though I own a TJET, I don't mind taking my brother-in-laws 75k kms old Baleno to office on any day!!
Prasanna,
You'll find us Vento owners replying again and again repeatedly. First of all, our replies are under the assumption the car you ran is in a good condition - possibly might not be kept very well. Do check up on that.

With respect to the torque, it is seen as a feature in Vento, Cruze, and if you would recollect, event the Swift!

For those like us who enjoy that extra bit of acceleration, it is a feature.

From your statements, you seem to like a driver's car - and that is Fiesta.
Baleno, Cedia, (original) zen - they were excellent models - but they can't be compared to the current set.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 00:15   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
Prasanna
Its not called inconsistent power delivery , its the turbo boost !! Please understand the characteristics of a car before labelling something as a defect - a Jetta would have similar "inconsistent" power delivery only if you care to drive the TDi one .

Your comments about the steering are inconsistent to say the least, do you want a steering which weighs up or do you want a steering which is light ? TJet has one of the best steerings in the business , Fiesta's steering also weighs up nicely which means that any day the steering would be less nimble than an equivalent korean / japanese or even a Vento steering but very similar in behaviour as compared to the TJet. Its more likely that the TJet would be equally graceful and nimble as compared to the Fiesta ( old one even more so ) - frankly its not even worth comparing Baleno to any of these cars
Old 8th October 2011, 00:18   #186
BHPian

After the bumper break, we didnt hear anything from ventoman

I presume that he would've crossed 15k kms & left the vehicle for service. I'm eagerly waiting to know the service charges & whether the bumper was replaced...

Also, he said he'll post the pics of the side mirror damage which should tell us the sturdy build quality of VW..

Ventoman.. We all are waiting for your response & input
mail2vm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 12:51   #187

Arrow Vento TDI Highline - new Default HU, Steering Controls ?

I've been following this thread for a while & this is my first post here. Got my Vento TDI highline a month back and its been a good ride so far , except perhaps the ICE.

My car came with RCD-310 as the HU, which has been extremely annoying to use.

The Steering Controls (I guess these are new??) have phone controls and won't work without the optional Bluetooth adapter, which is not available yet.

The proprietary connectors for extensions (USB, AUX, Bluetooth) are the biggest problems with this system. USB can't handle iPod connections and since Bluetooth & AUX aren't available, I simply can't connect a iPod/iPhone. (USB extension & proprietary connector in picture)

Replacing the HU
I narrowed down to Pioneer AppRadio OR Pioneer AVH-P3300BT as HU replacements and finally purchased the 3300BT (Ventoman's choice of the same helped my decision).

Questions to the Gurus !!
Will the 3300BT integrate the VW PDC (Parking Distance Control) and the Steering Controls? Will they work? Do I need to buy any more adapters to make them work?

Purchases

Pioneer AVH-P3300BT on eBay Global EasyBuy, at Rs. 21,800/- (USD 440) all incl. (shipping/customs) It was the best price I could find with a reliable seller. (Already recd.)

VW Stereo Fitting Kit on eBay UK (31GBP /Rs.2440 excl. duty) from same seller referenced earlier by Ventoman. (Yet to arrive)

On a sidenote, eBay's Global Easybuy was quite an easy way to import stuff from the States. Very useful, specially if sellers don't ship to India. Though I'd recommend buying from only from very good, reputed sellers.

Still Pending Purchases
Still to buy speakers, amp, sub-woofer; but don't have much knowledge regarding the same yet. I have a budget upto Rs. 15,000/- for the same and would appreciate any suggestions here.

Warranty Issues / Cabling Purchases
Would appreciate any suggestions regarding precautions to take to avoid warranty issues, etc.

I'll install all the items after Diwali, after 27th October, and will update accordingly.
Attached Images

amrbor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 18:40   #188
BHPian

Default Re: Vento TDI Highline - new Default HU, Steering Controls ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
After the bumper break, we didnt hear anything from ventoman

I presume that he would've crossed 15k kms & left the vehicle for service. I'm eagerly waiting to know the service charges & whether the bumper was replaced...

Also, he said he'll post the pics of the side mirror damage which should tell us the sturdy build quality of VW..

Ventoman.. We all are waiting for your response & input
Apologies all. The last 3 months had been very hectic for me and to add to that, I am now in UK since October. Hence I had to stay away from the forum. I'll update more details about the repairs shortly.
Yes, the bumper was replaced and total cost including painting was about 4.2k (2k for painting and 2k for the bumper). I had to pay 1k from my pocket for the bumper as insurance covers only 50%.

And yes, my car has done 15k kms. Got it serviced for 8.2k just before coming to UK. Will post more details on the service in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrbor View Post
Replacing the HU
I narrowed down to Pioneer AppRadio OR Pioneer AVH-P3300BT as HU replacements and finally purchased the 3300BT (Ventoman's choice of the same helped my decision).

Questions to the Gurus !!
Will the 3300BT integrate the VW PDC (Parking Distance Control) and the Steering Controls? Will they work? Do I need to buy any more adapters to make them work?
Have you managed to get it working?
VW PDC would work fine with Pioneer 3300BT provided its connectors to the HU are industry common and not VW proprietary. Same applies to steering control as well.
I had a reverse camera from the old witson and it works perfectly with 3300BT.
ventoman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 20:01   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Baleno is a dinosaur as compared to the Vento in terms of technology , handling, comfort , features, build quality but again each one to his own ! All the best .
Sorry for the OT post, but Baleno had great comfort and handling. The ride is still one of the best and the only comparable ride was from Opel Astra and right now only Fiat and Ford have that ride quality and handling combo. The rear ride quality and seat comfort, AC, etc. is still unmatched. Which car except Indica and Optra manages to give rear independent suspension today ?

Show me another combo from any company which has Good ride quality, fantastic A/C, independent suspension, beautiful handling, all-round engine, good FE, space.
@mods : sorry for OT post.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 05:13   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Sorry for the OT post, but Baleno had great comfort and handling. The ride is still one of the best and the only comparable ride was from Opel Astra and right now only Fiat and Ford have that ride quality and handling combo. The rear ride quality and seat comfort, AC, etc. is still unmatched. Which car except Indica and Optra manages to give rear independent suspension today ?

Show me another combo from any company which has Good ride quality, fantastic A/C, independent suspension, beautiful handling, all-round engine, good FE, space.
@mods : sorry for OT post.
Baleno / Astra / Optra / Indica - I wouldn't dream of spending my hard earned money on any of these cars, strictly my opinion. As I mentioned each one to his own - if you think Baleno has no parallel so be it, I would stick to my opinion that Vento is leagues ahead of the Baleno.
Cheers
Old 9th November 2011, 21:15   #191

Hi Ventoman

You have a great setup with your witson. Shortly I will be getting one. Can you provide me details as to hot get the GPS going? Should I go for map my india or satguide?
Any special instructions on how to install them. Look forward to your guidance. thanks
rameshsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 15:01   #192

[quote=AnkitPrashar;2167470]well i think the Witson HU should fit seamlessly in the vento. The HU sizes in both the cars (or for that matter majority of all VW cars!) is the same.

as far as the connection goes, i think it will be exactly same as that of the polo since vento also doesn't have any steering mounted stereo controls.

Hi Ankit. how do you fir the reverse camera without voiding your warranty? also can you please tell me what gps map will work with the witson unit? thanks in advance
Old 11th November 2011, 17:41   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshsar View Post
Hi Ventoman

You have a great setup with your witson. Shortly I will be getting one. Can you provide me details as to hot get the GPS going? Should I go for map my india or satguide?
Any special instructions on how to install them. Look forward to your guidance. thanks
You are better off going with map my india.
Will PM you a link and rest is self explanatory.

Enjoy your Vento with Witson. They make a great pair!

Edit: Realised that I've deleted the original message I got from AnkitPrashar. Please PM him and get the link for MMI.

Last edited by ventoman : 11th November 2011 at 17:50.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 06:55   #194

Unfortunately due to my status at BHP I cannot PM anyone. Probably need to wait until then.

Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 23:01   #195
BHPian

Hello Ventoman:
The Witson in your Vento looks smashing.
I'll be getting my VW soon and plan to switch the OEM HU for the Witson.
Could you please let me know where you sourced the unit?
I have a source in China who can get it for me (at 15% commission basis!) but if I can get it in India that would be more practical.
Also how is the performance of the unit?
Any niggles or problems?
Thanks in advance!
penlax is offline   Reply With Quote