Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:57   #61
BHPian
 
ventoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 165 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
@Ventoman:

Slightly off topic, but I read in some forums that the VW TDI engines suck on lubricants till first 5000 km, have you observed anything of that sort till now ?
This is one concern I have been having too..

Not sure whether I should wait for the oil indicator to switch on when in need or do something upfront.

Requesting Polo Tdi owners to give in their inputs.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 14:22   #62
BHPian
 
evilshantanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 523
Thanked: 212 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
This is one concern I have been having too..

Not sure whether I should wait for the oil indicator to switch on when in need or do something upfront.

Requesting Polo Tdi owners to give in their inputs.
did you try checking the level of Oil (manually under the hood) before a cold start ?

I would say that you should carry an extra bottle of Lubricant with you in your long drive....
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:34   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 941
Thanked: 256 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
This was bought from Metro for Rs.350/-. Made by Stanley!
I thought that only retailers can buy Metro:Something like that ! Was I mistaken? Which Metro?

Quote:
3) HU costed $350.
BTW, do you think that it fits seamlessly with the interiors? I mean it looks like that in the pics but does the plastic quality of the stereo match with that of the central console?
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 07:26   #64
BHPian
 
ventoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 165 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
did you try checking the level of Oil (manually under the hood) before a cold start ?
I would say that you should carry an extra bottle of Lubricant with you in your long drive....
No never done it so far. I guess its time to start this practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I thought that only retailers can buy Metro:Something like that ! Was I mistaken? Which Metro?
BTW, do you think that it fits seamlessly with the interiors? I mean it looks like that in the pics but does the plastic quality of the stereo match with that of the central console?
If you have a retailer in the family who also has a metro card, you can always accompany him and get what you want.

Witson fitted very nicely in the central console. It was the matter of
1) pull out the faceplace
2) unscrew 4 screws
3) pull out the original HU
4) connect witson with the wires provided
5) Put the screws and faceplace back again.

& the plastic quality matches the central console.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:03   #65
BHPian
 
ventoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 165 Times
Default 1700kms update

All,

The vehicle has crossed 1700 kms so far in 40 days and below are my impressions so far.

FE:
For the first full tank I got 14.8 in Blr city rides.
For the second full tank, FE increased to 15.8, with 40% AC including lot of b2b rides and all within Bangalore.
Now for the 3rd full tank ride, the average FE in the MID has shot up to 16.4 so far!

Drive:
Engine seems far refined and super smooth now.
One can easily take her upto 140 in Nice road and she is eager to go even further.
Gear box is super butterrrry and a pleasure to handle.
3rd gear is the best one to drive around.
I have never managed to drive on the 5th gear in my old esteem, but in vento its a regular affair within Bangalore.
All the interiors and plastics are as good as new.
No rattling from anywhere within the car.

Some cons:
Central locking is such a disaster. You can engage child lock for the rear doors. But no such option for the front passenger seat.
Suspension is on the softer side and tend to impact your ride on bad potholes.

Overall, I am thoroughly pleased with the car and looking forward to drive her every day.

I am taking her to coimbatore today for the first long drive and will be back on saturday.
Will update this thread on sunday with the experiences.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:19   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 941
Thanked: 256 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
3) pull out the original HU
In such cases, when one replaces an existing system with a new one, what to do with the current one?

Any plans that you may have..does it have any chance of fitting into any of your other cars? Reselling it? Will the dealer take it back? I am sure not.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:45   #67
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 175
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Ventoman, Car looks cool with the new sun film and HU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
I am taking her to coimbatore today for the first long drive and will be back on saturday
Enjoy your first long drive. Hope you have reached Coimbatore at least 2 hours earlier than planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Central locking is such a disaster. You can engage child lock for the rear doors. But no such option for the front passenger seat
On locks, I checked Jetta and Vento recently. For front passenger door -

Jetta - Unlocks in first pull and opens in second pull. Vento - Opens the door in first pull and its simply disaster!!!
motorhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 21:21   #68
BHPian
 
ventoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 165 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
In such cases, when one replaces an existing system with a new one, what to do with the current one?

Any plans that you may have..does it have any chance of fitting into any of your other cars? Reselling it? Will the dealer take it back? I am sure not.
Sold the original system at tbhp classifieds for 9k along with 4 speakers. It was bought by a Polo comfortline owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Ventoman, Car looks cool with the new sun film and HU. Enjoy your first long drive. Hope you have reached Coimbatore at least 2 hours earlier than planned
You bet I did!

Still recollecting that great ride during when I touched 180kmph thrice
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 09:32   #69
Distinguished - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,738
Thanked: 3,128 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Dude, one question. How is the interior surveillance system working in your car? Do you have any problem with that?

My car seems to have some problem. Yesterday night it sounded the alarm. I suspect it was caused when a cat managed to climb on top of the car. As it climbed from the back, I suspect that sensor (on top of the rear view mirror) managed to pick up the movement caused outside. Is this the reason for it? Is there any way to permanently disable the alarm? Am planning to disable it since I find now use of the alarm. Kindly let me know.

Cheers.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 15:25   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
jesal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,322
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Dude, one question. How is the interior surveillance system working in your car? Do you have any problem with that?

My car seems to have some problem. Yesterday night it sounded the alarm. I suspect it was caused when a cat managed to climb on top of the car. As it climbed from the back, I suspect that sensor (on top of the rear view mirror) managed to pick up the movement caused outside. Is this the reason for it? Is there any way to permanently disable the alarm? Am planning to disable it since I find now use of the alarm. Kindly let me know.

Cheers.
shut the system off if should not bother then
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 21:41   #71
BHPian
 
ventoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 165 Times
Default 2500kms update

The car has clocked 2500kms now, thanks to a fantastic ride to coimbatore.
The car has been tested to its limits and managed to reach 190 twice in the stretch between Krishnagiri and Dharmapuri and 180 once again between Sangakiri and Perundurai. Inspite of such a drive, FE was a whopping 22kmpl for the entire onward trip with 75% AC.

Return journey was quite a normal one, as I my mother was travelling along with me. So 140 tops and still FE was around 21kmph with 75% AC.

Few points that I noted in this trip

1) The car is at its best when it reaches 100-110 on 5th gear at around 2200rpm. You can feel that comfort of the engine at this combo.
2) The car was well planted and handling was quite good at 140-160s. Managed to get my way out with ease amidst lorries at this speed.
3) Beyond 160 too, the car was well planted..but I felt as though the car was gliding and all irregularities on the road were spoiling the glide. I honestly admit, although it felt great to see your speedo touch 180, it was slightly scary. Nevertheless, I feel quite content after this ride .


Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Dude, one question. How is the interior surveillance system working in your car? Do you have any problem with that?
My car seems to have some problem. Yesterday night it sounded the alarm. I suspect it was caused when a cat managed to climb on top of the car. As it climbed from the back, I suspect that sensor (on top of the rear view mirror) managed to pick up the movement caused outside. Is this the reason for it? Is there any way to permanently disable the alarm? Am planning to disable it since I find now use of the alarm. Kindly let me know.
Cheers.
NO Mate. I didn't face any such problems so far.
Did you check with the dealer regarding this and more importantly, are you sure, you want to switch it off completely?

Last edited by ventoman : 27th December 2010 at 21:43.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 10:04   #72
Distinguished - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,738
Thanked: 3,128 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Great to hear that you managed to squeeze 22kmpl. Also, 190 km/h is really awesome.

Regarding the sensor, The best way to come over this is to temp switch it off (the switch next to the driver seat). There are no issues with the sensor. Think it may have been caused by the cat which managed to run on top of the car. No issues after that.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 10:59   #73
BHPian
 
v.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 320
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Jetta - Unlocks in first pull and opens in second pull. Vento - Opens the door in first pull and its simply disaster!!!
Having experienced the same locking system in Laura, the problem with Jetta and Laura (VW in general) system is people who are not aware of it would pull the door handle first time and forcefully try and push the door to open. I always feel for the car when it happens and I find this more of a disaster, what if the handle comes to hand due to force applied.

Last edited by v.anand : 28th December 2010 at 11:01.
v.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 20:18   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 175
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
The car has clocked 2500kms now, thanks to a fantastic ride to coimbatore.
The car has been tested to its limits and managed to reach 190 twice in the stretch between Krishnagiri and Dharmapuri and 180 once again between Sangakiri and Perundurai. Inspite of such a drive, FE was a whopping 22kmpl for the entire onward trip with 75% AC.

Return journey was quite a normal one, as I my mother was travelling along with me. So 140 tops and still FE was around 21kmph with 75% AC.
Looks like your car wants you to take it to the limit.. When you revved and took it above 180, you got 22kmpl and below 140 it gave 21kmpl

Btw, we tried the max in NICE road on a TD car. The max it could take us was 184. How did you took her to 190. I am waiting to take her in that stretch!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Having experienced the same locking system in Laura, the problem with Jetta and Laura (VW in general) system is people who are not aware of it would pull the door handle first time and forcefully try and push the door to open. I always feel for the car when it happens and I find this more of a disaster, what if the handle comes to hand due to force applied.
My concern is safety. what if my kid open the door. Yes, I know. Kids are supposed to sit at the back seat. Still they should've done a better job. Dealers as saying that VW will fix all these issues by mid of the year and will come up with some other missing features (probably steering mounted controls etc). But what could we do then!!
motorhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 21:55   #75
BHPian
 
ventoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 165 Times
Default re: Ventastic ride so far...My White VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Looks like your car wants you to take it to the limit.. When you revved and took it above 180, you got 22kmpl and below 140 it gave 21kmpl
My feelings exactly when I noted the drop in mileage on the way back..
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Btw, we tried the max in NICE road on a TD car. The max it could take us was 184. How did you took her to 190. I am waiting to take her in that stretch!!
You should try the stretch I mentioned above. My initial target was 180. But when I reached 180, I felt there was some more left in the engine. So I squeezed her and she responded very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
My concern is safety. what if my kid open the door. Yes, I know. Kids are supposed to sit at the back seat. Still they should've done a better job. Dealers as saying that VW will fix all these issues by mid of the year and will come up with some other missing features (probably steering mounted controls etc). But what could we do then!!
I spoke to VW palace cross this week about the central lock. They seem to have received this complaint from Polo customers a few months back and have notified VW about this. Apparently VW reverted back asking the dealer to "educate" the customers as its a safety feature in case of emergencies.

Last edited by ventoman : 28th December 2010 at 22:02.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White VW Vento Highline TDI: 61,000 kms / 4th service report nikesh Long-Term Ownership Reviews 26 13th January 2014 13:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:03.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks