Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 13:08   #16
BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
The 3rd gear is simply superb
Bang on! I have the 2012 VVT K12 engine, and the refinement and power rush in the third gear is absolutely brilliant. The gear itself it extremely tractable.

The moment you cross 2000 RPM, the motor starts growling, and if you push it to above 3- 3.5 K RPM, the scream is just music to the ears. The best part is, the engine remains so very refined throughout the rev range. I have not yet pushed it to above 4000 RPM- in fact, I never felt the need to rev so high, since the mid range is absolutely fantastic in terms of pulling power, and good enough for my requirements Feels good to know theres another 2000 revs waiting to be explored someday.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 13th July 2012 at 13:12.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 21:47   #17
BHPian
 
Maverift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

I drive a petrol swift too and a G series one to match. Its been 6 years and close to 60000 kms and I am still in love with the car. Its still got a super silent cabin and apart from regular service/oil change, tyre change at 45k there hasn't been any major or minor problems.
Maverift is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 18:59   #18
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 781
Thanked: 797 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

Just got my car from 3M and now its back to its pristine interiors as it was during the time of delivery. Not the exteriors though, thanks to the numerous run ins with the bikers in the city.

Have a query though. Lately for the past couple of months or so, when I am in the second gear at the speeds of around 20 kmph, there is a jerking which I have been observing. This happens only when I do not have my foot on the accelerator (when the vehicle is coasting). I dont think the speeds are too low as 20 kmph should be ok for the second gear. The moment I step on the accelerator, the jerking stops and normal service resumes.

What could be the problem? Is it that the engine is about to stall and I save it by providing accelerator input? I would believe this if the speed was about 10 kmph or so but I find it hard to believe that the engine would stall at 20kmph in the second gear.

Any suggestions on where to look? Any pointers would be appreciated
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 21:23   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,846
Thanked: 623 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Just got my car from 3M and now its back to its pristine interiors as it was during the time of delivery. Not the exteriors though, thanks to the numerous run ins with the bikers in the city.

Have a query though. Lately for the past couple of months or so, when I am in the second gear at the speeds of around 20 kmph, there is a jerking which I have been observing. This happens only when I do not have my foot on the accelerator (when the vehicle is coasting). I dont think the speeds are too low as 20 kmph should be ok for the second gear. The moment I step on the accelerator, the jerking stops and normal service resumes.

What could be the problem? Is it that the engine is about to stall and I save it by providing accelerator input? I would believe this if the speed was about 10 kmph or so but I find it hard to believe that the engine would stall at 20kmph in the second gear.

Any suggestions on where to look? Any pointers would be appreciated
I observe this if its 20kmph and say 3rd gear. But it should pull fine in second. Have you experienced any reduction in power delivery?
Is this reproducing at will? Then you can show it to service center. But sounds minor issue so get it checked during next service.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 07:24   #20
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 781
Thanked: 797 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

I observe this if its 20kmph and say 3rd gear. But it should pull fine in second. Have you experienced any reduction in power delivery?
Is this reproducing at will? Then you can show it to service center. But sounds minor issue so get it checked during next service.
nope. no reduction in power. Also am not able to reproduce this. Happens quite randomly. Will get it checked out during the next service which is due soon.
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 09:34   #21
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 781
Thanked: 797 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

How often do the wipers need to be changed? My car has run 50K kms and I see rust on the wiper blade holders. Also, I feel that the wiper effectiveness has come down. 50K should be a good enough time to change the blades correct?
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:16   #22
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 781
Thanked: 797 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

Gave my car for the 50k service and the SA told me that the clutch is weak and it might get jammed 2-3 months down the line. He said it would be good if it can be replaced but the choice is finally down to me.

Sometimes when I press the clutch, I feel a sort of a squishy feeling when depressed fully. Does this indicate anything? Are there any other symptoms which would make me identify if the clutch is becoming weak? Any pointers would be appreciated

Last edited by arvind71181 : 2nd April 2013 at 13:19.
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:59   #23
BHPian
 
SuperBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 87
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

Hey Arvind,

I have the same car

A gem of an Engine. Sure the new one is more comfortable, better equipped, and the Diesel has that turbo kick, but none of the cars come close to matching the fun of this petrol motor. 3K -4.5K RPM is what I call the Fun Zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
How often do the wipers need to be changed? My car has run 50K kms and I see rust on the wiper blade holders. Also, I feel that the wiper effectiveness has come down. 50K should be a good enough time to change the blades correct?
I don't think you need to change the whole Wiper blade holders. Just remove the blades, sandpaper the rust a bit and apply rust-proof paint. After that you can just put in new blades. They say very good things about Bosch Aerotwins, but IMO we can use anything from Syndicate to Hella to Bosch as long as we replace the blades after every summer. Heat makes the rubber hard and the blades lose their effectiveness.


Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Gave my car for the 50k service and the SA told me that the clutch is weak and it might get jammed 2-3 months down the line. He said it would be good if it can be replaced but the choice is finally down to me.

Sometimes when I press the clutch, I feel a sort of a squishy feeling when depressed fully. Does this indicate anything? Are there any other symptoms which would make me identify if the clutch is becoming weak? Any pointers would be appreciated
What did he mean by the clutch getting jammed? My clutch also feels a bit squishy, had a couple of mechanics drive it and they didn't mention it as a problem. From what I have read and heard, you can try two things to test the effectiveness of the clutch plate -

1) Find a steep incline. Try climbing it by just releasing the clutch, without any accelerator input. If it makes the climb your clutch is fine.

2) From a standstill, try pulling away in the second gear, the car should stall.

Also, I assume once the clutch starts to go, you will start seeing lower speeds at higher RPM's. e.g. In my car, 5th Gear and 80 kph would keep the revs at 2000, which has slightly increased now to 2100-2150 or so. Can you tell me the Engine speeds that you get in 5th gear at 80Kph and 100 Kph ?

Keep enjoying the ride. Also, some pics ?
SuperBee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:25   #24
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 781
Thanked: 797 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Hey Arvind,

I have the same car

A gem of an Engine. Sure the new one is more comfortable, better equipped, and the Diesel has that turbo kick, but none of the cars come close to matching the fun of this petrol motor. 3K -4.5K RPM is what I call the Fun Zone.
That is true. Fantastic car which has given me smiles always

Quote:
I don't think you need to change the whole Wiper blade holders. Just remove the blades, sandpaper the rust a bit and apply rust-proof paint. After that you can just put in new blades. They say very good things about Bosch Aerotwins, but IMO we can use anything from Syndicate to Hella to Bosch as long as we replace the blades after every summer. Heat makes the rubber hard and the blades lose their effectiveness.
Yes wanted to change only the blades. Have not changes them since I bought them and its been 3 years . Think its high high time I get them changed. Will speak to the SA now

Quote:
What did he mean by the clutch getting jammed? My clutch also feels a bit squishy, had a couple of mechanics drive it and they didn't mention it as a problem. From what I have read and heard, you can try two things to test the effectiveness of the clutch plate -

1) Find a steep incline. Try climbing it by just releasing the clutch, without any accelerator input. If it makes the climb your clutch is fine.

2) From a standstill, try pulling away in the second gear, the car should stall.

Also, I assume once the clutch starts to go, you will start seeing lower speeds at higher RPM's. e.g. In my car, 5th Gear and 80 kph would keep the revs at 2000, which has slightly increased now to 2100-2150 or so. Can you tell me the Engine speeds that you get in 5th gear at 80Kph and 100 Kph ?

Keep enjoying the ride. Also, some pics ?

Thanks for this. He was telling me that 2-3 months down the line the clutch will fail in the sense it will not depress completely after I let go off my foot on the clutch. Hope you got it. Also, for the past couple of months, the clutch seems to be slipping. Now that I think about it, even after I let go of the clutch, seems to not release completely. I think I will ask him to change the clutch just to be on the safer side as I do not want to be stranded on the highway somewhere with a bust clutch when the cost of towing will be more than the cost of the clutch!!!

Mine is an Lxi so no tachometer so no way to let you know the engine speed unless it is guestimated
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 10:38   #25
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 781
Thanked: 797 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

Got the clutch of my car changed at the 50K service for 7K. The new clutch feels a lot better and I think the change was for the better.

After driving the i20 and swift, feel that the dead pedal is really required for all cars. In addition to providing comfort to the foot, I guess it also helps in increasing the clutch life as I feel that I otherwise always keep my foot lightly on the clutch pedal and this decreases its life.

Maybe it is a plan by the manufacturers to make us replace clutches often
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:12   #26
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 781
Thanked: 797 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

The car is chugging along as usual. Odo stands at 55k kilometers. The daily running has reduced since the i20 has come into the picture.

Change the tyres though and added alloys as well. Upsized (in terms of width) to 185/70/R14 with the tyres costing 4900 a piece (Conti Eco contact 3) and alloys 4800 a piece. No pictures right now, will post it across once I click some pics of the same. Plan to take the car on a MAA - BAN - MAA trip and see how the new tyres feel on the highway
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 10:18   #27
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 781
Thanked: 797 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

Faced a problem today. Sometimes (this is random), the accelerator continues to provide input for around 5 seconds or so even after I take my foot of the pedal. I am going to take it to the SA tomorrow. Is there anything specific that I should ask him to check? What could be the potential problem? The problem got rectified on its own now but I am sure it will crop up again. It is a 6 year old car with ~78k kms on the odo
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 10:46   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 521
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Faced a problem today. Sometimes (this is random), the accelerator continues to provide input for around 5 seconds or so even after I take my foot of the pedal. I am going to take it to the SA tomorrow. Is there anything specific that I should ask him to check? What could be the potential problem? The problem got rectified on its own now but I am sure it will crop up again. It is a 6 year old car with ~78k kms on the odo
Hi arvind71181,
If the accelerator pedal hinge is contaminated with some debris, the pedal may release slowly after you take the foot off the pedal. Or randomly, sometimes, the pedal may get stuck-up for few seconds during the release. In such case, it possible to observe the symptom you reported.

In case you see this next time, try to pull the pedal up with your foot, to see if the pedal was stuck-up.

Inspect the pedal hinge for contamination and smooth action. Spray some WD40.

If there is no problem with the pedal hinge, then you need to check the sensor at the pedal and the throttle motor (if yours is a fly-by-wire VVT engine).
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 11:02   #29
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 781
Thanked: 797 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi arvind71181,
If the accelerator pedal hinge is contaminated with some debris, the pedal may release slowly after you take the foot off the pedal. Or randomly, sometimes, the pedal may get stuck-up for few seconds during the release. In such case, it possible to observe the symptom you reported.

In case you see this next time, try to pull the pedal up with your foot, to see if the pedal was stuck-up.

Inspect the pedal hinge for contamination and smooth action. Spray some WD40.

If there is no problem with the pedal hinge, then you need to check the sensor at the pedal and the throttle motor (if yours is a fly-by-wire VVT engine).
Thank you. I did try pulling the pedal with my foot. It does not look like something is stopping the pedal from coming up. Mine is not the VVT engine, it is the older G13B one. So will it be different?
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 12:41   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 521
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: Ownership review of the Swift Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Thank you. I did try pulling the pedal with my foot. It does not look like something is stopping the pedal from coming up. Mine is not the VVT engine, it is the older G13B one. So will it be different?
I think G13B engine has throttle controlled through the linkage. Pressing the accelerator pedal moves a linkage, which in turn moves the throttle valve mechanically.

So, get the mechanical linkage (from the pedal to the throttle valve) inspected. Clean all the pivots / pins in the linkage cleaned and lubricated. Check the throttle spring and the throttle pin. This can even be done at an FNG.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Term Ownership Report: Swift VdI- 2 lakh kms, Cost of ownership on Pg 3 epicenter.rulez Long-Term Ownership Reviews 150 30th May 2017 20:35
Deep Black Polo 1.6 Petrol Highline- Initial Ownership Review - 200 Km hossdoc Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 83 20th October 2013 15:32
My Silver Bulldog - SX4 ZXI VVT Petrol - one year ownership review FrankMartin Long-Term Ownership Reviews 3 9th June 2011 22:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks