Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th December 2010, 23:22   #16

Nostalgia !! Owned one between 200 - 2002. I was the 6th owner. Was great and rock solid on highways and a pain to find parking space. Huge on maintaenance even then. Quality of electrical parts like PWR windows was pathetic.
godseed1670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 23:54   #17
Ice
BHPian

Brings back SUCH fond memories. We had one for 15 years (92 - 2007). The car took a serious hit for me when I was 15 - we toppled down a 40-foot slope after a section of the shoulder caved in. The car bore the brunt of the impact, leaving the 5 occupants completely uninjured.

I miss her terribly. TN 01 E 7077 - if any one sees her on the road tell her I said hello
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 12:12   #18
BHPian

Thumbs up Absolutely Adore the TATA Estate

This was the car I really learnt driving in. This was my dads car and mine was a zen. He did not like the big turning radius of the car and hence it became my car. Mh-04-1948. Drove it for more than 1 lakh KM and love the boot space; spent nights in it car camping.This is one car I would love to buy again if they start production.

Met with an accident and the car was a total loss. Not a scratch on me. Thank you for the write up. God bless.
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 16:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Though I've never owned one, a relative of my had bought one back in 1994. A silver color Tata Estate (IIRC), and it had a fancy number KL-x-C-1.

It was the most luxurious vehicle I had sat in at that point of time. It sure was an attention-grabber.

But the owner had a lot of trouble with the vehicle and sold it off within 3 or 4 years.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 17:37   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Forgotten MUV of 90's - Tata Estate

A neighbour has been having a silver Estate for the last 15 years or so. He is around 70 years yet drives it around the city and even makes 2 trips to Goa each year!

He has maintained the car immaculately. I remember as kids, we were hugely impressed by a car that had a red courtesy lamp at the door foot and a wiper on the rear windshield. In those days, the car itself was quite a statement!

Only thing though, the car leaked more oil than it retained! And when it started, it sounded no less than a truck!

But having a ride in that car was one awesome feel.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 17:50   #21
BHPian

WoW ! that is a kind of honest review from a great owner.. i love this car from the time it was launced.. still remember my friend used to put bags full of soil for better handling...!!!
CrazyStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 20:07   #22
BHPian

Thanks a lot for such kind and warm responses,
As regards maintenance, i have been a little lucky as you can see i have not had a very bad time till date
And yes even i learnt to drive on this mammoth machine, the advantage is simple - you can maneuver any similar size car easily (or maybe a minitruck too)
I tend to disagree a little with rulerofsun, i have driven safari / scorpio but i feel this car compares well on turning radius to them considering they are of similar length (Please! I am not comparing any other specs, i know this car does not stand a chance there)

Now here are a some things i am planning,
  1. The RPM meter has suddenly gone KAPUT, i plan to get it replaced
  2. Planning to fit a pair of Projector lamps to improve headlight quality
  3. Replace the rear light assembly with the ones from Tata safari
  4. Go for a pair of Halogens from Hella
  5. Repair the suspension, the rear one uses plates so it will be a little costly affair

Any other ideas are welcome
shridhar.s.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 22:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Shridhar, do you have the full tech specs of the Estate ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
1. Planning to fit a pair of Projector lamps to improve headlight quality
3. Go for a pair of Halogens from Hella
Suggest not to go for projectors / HID's - but stick to 90/100 Halogens, with relay. May be add a pair of aux lights if required.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 02:53   #24
BHPian

I too have some great memories of this car.
Way back in the mid-90's, we did many trips to nearby cities in this car, owned by my father's the-then friend. It was very spacious and was a highway king. Never gave any problem to us.
It was also one of the best looking cars of that era.

Last edited by Johnny_ : 9th December 2010 at 02:59.
Johnny_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 16:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

shridhar i too like the estate,few months back i drove a TATA 207(1995) which is actually a estate without back seat (i guess).

Though the pick up is not that great i liked the way other people gave way after see it in their RVM.

I suggest you remove the suncontrol film from the car and change the rear tail light and paint/polish the car.it will not cost beyond 3-5 k for these work but car will look better.

Also pleas check if you can get a 2nd hand dash of TELCOLINE/207 DI and find out if you can have their dash fin it estate.
Tata 207 DI EX – Small Commercial Vehicles from Tata Motors
Tata Telcoline, A Pickup Truck from Leading Trucks Manufacturer - Tata Motors
http://gotruck.tatamotors.com/

All the best Dude !

Last edited by joshguy : 9th December 2010 at 16:10. Reason: added links
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 17:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Just one suggestion mate, get a good dashboard shiner and spray it liberally.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 17:32   #27
BHPian

Smile Re: The Forgotten MUV of 90's - Tata Estate

Hi
Excellent write up. When some people still talk about poor customer service of tata this post comes as a big surprise. Just last week i saw a post debating about nano and its falls. This post could not have come at a better time. Yes i had one of my seniors own this car duing my college days and had a couple of trips in it. The same guy shifted to tata sierra and he still owns it now. Though we had joked about it he is still bent upon maintaining it. Of course he has got a reliable mechanic. I guess for some the memories that come with the vehicle is so important that they experience those moments when they go for a drive. Enjoyed reading your post.
Cheers
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 18:03   #28
BHPian

Nice review of a nice car.

1. Remove the ‘L’ sticker from Front & Rear wind screens. It is spoiling the elegance.
2. Apply Dash board polish on plastic parts in interior.
3. Are you have the press & push type reverse gear?
4. Correct the steering orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post

Now here are a some things i am planning,

3. Replace the rear light assembly with the ones from Tata safari
It will not a direct fit. Also try to keep the originatlity.
Also search the market for ESTATE badge at rear. Though your’s is intact but keep it safe for future.

For what purpose this holder is here?
Attached Thumbnails
The Forgotten MUV of 90's - Tata Estate-image0503.jpg  

Last edited by (Alok) : 9th December 2010 at 18:06.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 19:35   #29
BHPian

"An effort to build a Mercedes Station Wagon by a truck manufacturer" I remember reading this comment in an auto magazine when Tata Estate was launched.

Still respect it because it was the most comfortable long distance travel diesel car of that time.
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 20:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
shridhar i too like the estate,few months back i drove a TATA 207(1995) which is actually a estate without back seat (i guess).

Though the pick up is not that great i liked the way other people gave way after see it in their RVM.

I suggest you remove the suncontrol film from the car and change the rear tail light and paint/polish the car.it will not cost beyond 3-5 k for these work but car will look better.

Also pleas check if you can get a 2nd hand dash of TELCOLINE/207 DI and find out if you can have their dash fin it estate.
Tata 207 DI EX Ė Small Commercial Vehicles from Tata Motors
Tata Telcoline, A Pickup Truck from Leading Trucks Manufacturer - Tata Motors
Tata Motors 4x4 TL

All the best Dude !
TATA 207 had leaf springs in the rear whereas ESTATE had coil springs at the rear, if I'm not wrong.

My late dad and I were fond of Tata Estate. We used to go "Window Shopping" for a car in those days and ended up gaping at the Estate in the showroom for longer minutes and promptly poked the eyes of the salesman who got our details. He brought home a RED Estate and then we had to fend him off saying that the 5lakh sum was too much for us even in the form of EMIs. Yesterday, coincidentally, I overtook an Estate and told my wife that I wanted to buy this car as it was the only car in those days that could fold its rear seat and become a bed for passengers in the rear. I've driven this car around as my friend had brough it as the fourth owner-a white Estate for 55k. The gear stalk required some effort and I used to stand on the clutch to engage the gears. The power windows put to shame the vibrasonic twin horns it had.
But yet, I wanted to buy it and restore it to the glory of yesteryears. The headlights looked like they were dabbed with the particles from the Pulpy Orange drink. Can someone build such a car again cos this one fills your heart though its leaky in every other area
JEHU is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote