Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th November 2011, 14:21   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman

I was thinking, the 110hp MT version or the even smaller 1.6TDI Vento/Rapid would do even better in same conditions.
Hi Anshuman,

Have you test driven the MT of Laura and vento/rapid? Can you Say how do you compare the the MT with Vento/rapid as both Laura MT and the vento have almost similar power outputs I.e. 110 bhp bs 105 bhp and 250NM is the same. However the engine size is different but so is the weight.

Can anyone having driven both the engines put a comparison?

Cheers
Sid
kumarsiddhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 16:56   #317
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarsiddhi View Post
Hi Anshuman,

Have you test driven the MT of Laura and vento/rapid? Can you Say how do you compare the the MT with Vento/rapid as both Laura MT and the vento have almost similar power outputs I.e. 110 bhp bs 105 bhp and 250NM is the same. However the engine size is different but so is the weight.

Can anyone having driven both the engines put a comparison?

Cheers
Sid
Yup, I have driven both these cars. My FE comment was based on the European FE figures mentioned at the back of the owner's manual, where the 1.6 and 2.0 110 engines mentioned as slightly more efficient than 140hp.

In Europe the 105hp 1.6 TDI(same as Vento/Rapid) is the starting range Diesel for Octavia(our Laura), it is the most efficient engine in the line up. Even Superb greenline comes with this same engine.

I cannot really tell you the exact comparison of both these engines because here i have driven these engines in different cars which have different size, weight and gearing. The 2.0 Engine definitely is more refined and with more linear power delivery compared to the 1.6. Both engines have similar 250nm torque output which stays for most part of the revv band, both are driveability champions from their segments here, credit to sensible gearing and flat torque curve.

I really cannot make sense out of why the 110hp 2.0 TDI is sold in Laura MT, if they want to go for economy get the 1.6TDI, and if they are keen on offering a 2 litre engine then why not 140hp version(like Jetta), which too has brilliant FE.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 11:07   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I was thinking, the 110hp MT version or the even smaller 1.6TDI Vento/Rapid would do even better in same conditions.

Very true. In fact my 1.9TDi 110bhp MT Laura does manage to return some great FE even in city traffic condtions. Today morning, on the way to work, I did happen to see the FE returned. It showed 5.5l/100kms. Thats in Hinjewadi traffic (slow as ever and chaos at its best).

Highway FE, the last time I checked was 22 kpl. That was with some spirited driving at its best.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 18:26   #319
BHPian

Hello anshuman,
After completing 6 months my laura dsg i've noticed the odd rattle from the boot and the vibration entering the cabin on bad roads. My pedantic nature is just not letting this small issue go ! My friend suggested dynamat for the wheel wells and the trunk floor to solve this issue ( he also suggested this for the doors but im dead against dismantling the door panels). I would like your opinion and suggestion on this as i have zero knowledge on noise dampening!
vinj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 20:39   #320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Hello anshuman,
After completing 6 months my laura dsg i've noticed the odd rattle from the boot and the vibration entering the cabin on bad roads. My pedantic nature is just not letting this small issue go ! My friend suggested dynamat for the wheel wells and the trunk floor to solve this issue ( he also suggested this for the doors but im dead against dismantling the door panels). I would like your opinion and suggestion on this as i have zero knowledge on noise dampening!
The rattle from boot in my car has self healed Actually when i vacuum cleaned the carpet and interiors last month i took out everything from the boot including stepney and rearranged it back, i did not check it the same day but some days later when i noticed the rattle was gone. I drove on a really bad stretch of road today, the AC and Audio were off and i don't remember any rattle.

Instead of going for dynamat, find the actual source of rattle. Maybe like someone else driving and you in the boot with a stethoscope Or may be rearranging everything again ensuring every thing held tightly like the emergency reflector and spare bulbs box etc.

My favorite Polaroid sunglasses do not like Laura's sunglasses holder, they start rattling. My other sunglasses including the metal frame Ray Ban Aviators fit fine and do not make any noises.

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th January 2012 at 20:42. Reason: added glasses part
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 01:32   #321
BHPian

@ Anshuman:
Since you own the Laura for a longer period than I have, i wanna ask you about a small issue which is bothering me with my Laura DSG. I have noticed that the RPMs often increase at idle, close to a 1000 on the dial. car usually shifts in to 5th, the moment i touch 50 kph on the speedo, but when the idle rpm is high, it shifts to 5th only after 60 kph. at the same time, if i turn off the ignition after such an event, the engine fan stays on even after locking the car. I then restart the car and then the RPM reaches normal 800-850 and fan turns off. have you faced this problem in your laura? this has happened only 4-5 times in the 7 months i have had the Laura till now.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:25   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
@ Anshuman:
Since you own the Laura for a longer period than I have, i wanna ask you about a small issue which is bothering me with my Laura DSG. I have noticed that the RPMs often increase at idle, close to a 1000 on the dial. car usually shifts in to 5th, the moment i touch 50 kph on the speedo, but when the idle rpm is high, it shifts to 5th only after 60 kph. at the same time, if i turn off the ignition after such an event, the engine fan stays on even after locking the car. I then restart the car and then the RPM reaches normal 800-850 and fan turns off. have you faced this problem in your laura? this has happened only 4-5 times in the 7 months i have had the Laura till now.
Hi Adi_Petrolhead,
Don't worry this is quite normal and is on account of something known as DPF (Diesel Particulate filter) regeneration. What happens is that over a period of time, soot and carbon particles collect in the DPF (which is part of the exhaust system). If you are doing frequent short drives the buildup rate of the carbon particles is higher. To burn off the deposited soot in the DPF, the engine automatically goes thru cycles of DPF regeneration. In these cycles, what will happen is that the engine will idle higher than usual (950-1000) like what you have noticed and for periods as long as 15-20 minutes and you may also notice a funny smell from the exhaust fumes. During this time, what the engine is trying to do is to raise the exhaust gases temperature to a higher level so that the soot will burn out completely from the DPF.
This regeneration cycle is vital for the health of the engine, and I would recommend not worrying about it. In fact, what you should do (at least once a week) is to drive the engine spiritedly at higher rpms (3500-4000) after appropriate warmup, to burn off the soot deposited in the DPF.
You can also find some good info in the owner's manual.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:53   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth

Hi Adi_Petrolhead,
Don't worry this is quite normal and is on account of something known as DPF (Diesel Particulate filter) regeneration.

Regards,
Behemoth
Thank you very much @behemoth for the valuable post and such detailed explanation. Its sure helpful for other Laura owners too. But I now remember, same thing used to happen in my verna too. Higher idle rpm. If I am not wrong, it's common to all modern day diesels?
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:21   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Adi_Petrolhead,
Don't worry this is quite normal and is on account of something known as DPF (Diesel Particulate filter) regeneration.

You can also find some good info in the owner's manual.

Is the Indian Laura equipped with DPF?
When I causally asked the service guys they said no, DPF is only used in "F-O-R-E-N" .
Of course, they are Skoda service guys so thay can say anything...he he he.

Incidentally, in my petrol Laura (TSi), the idle RPM fluctuates between 800 and 1100 upon cold start for a few seconds and I always assumed it to be an ECU bug...

Quote:
If I am not wrong, it's common to all modern day diesels?
Not sure, my 2005 Tucson does not do it, but then I think it does not have DPF.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 23rd January 2012 at 10:26.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:34   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye

When I causally asked the service guys they said no, DPF is only used in "F-O-R-E-N" .

Incidentally, in my petrol Laura (TSi), the idle RPM fluctuates between 800 and 1100 upon cold start for a few seconds and I always assumed it to be an ECU bug...

I'll have to refer the manual to know exactly whether Indian Lauras have DPF or not. If @Behemoth is so sure abt the problem he must be right. Any how, definitely, u can't take a word from Skoda Seriously. They are only and only worsening their image with small issues all the time. Diverting from the current topic, just another bad experience from Skoda After sales, They destroyed my newly installed windtone horns in the front o the engine bay, while te car was there for cleaning. When I asked them to replace it under warranty, they said 'ok sir, you can pick up your car tomorrow!' I was like heh??!! Yea it was a very stupid thing, first they made me wait for 3 hours at the workshop just so someone could attend the problem! Den they said u cn very well leave the car here till tomorrow evening! For unscrewing two horns and fitting them back?! On asking they say it was a warranty policy! Ridiculous...
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:42   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much @behemoth for the valuable post and such detailed explanation. Its sure helpful for other Laura owners too. But I now remember, same thing used to happen in my verna too. Higher idle rpm. If I am not wrong, it's common to all modern day diesels?
You are welcome! The DPFs were introduced in India with the implementation of the BS4 norms (in 13 major cities which happened in April 2010). All diesel cars which satisfy BS4 should have a DPF, though some high capacity diesels can still manage without a DPF due to lower fuel/ air ratio (specifically the Toyota Fortuner/ Innova 3L Diesels are an example. Smaller 2L diesel engines from VW/ Skoda / Audi / etc) all have DPFs now and same should be with Hyundai. All these engines equipped with DPFs will go through regular DPF regeneration cycles, but subject to individual driving styles, the frequency of the cycles will vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

Don't believe the Skoda guys ! Even though they are supposed to be "experts" this community actually knows a lot more than them!

In case of Petrol Skodas, there is no DPF , it is just a catalytic converter or CATCON, which is there is almost all petrol cars , since BS3 norms.
Idle RPM fluctuation in case of petrols also happens due to Idle rpm stabilization process which takes around 2-3 minutes will the engine warms up. For example on a startup in cold conditions, the rpm will be raised to a higher rpm to allow for quick heating of the engine and also to prevent stalling. Also, often the loads fluctuate (switching on / off of fan / AC / lights) which the engine automatically compensates for.

The 2005 Tucson would not have the DPF and also would not meet the BS4 norms, which is why it is also very difficult, if not impossible, to get it re-registered in any of the BS4 compliant cities if you are bringing it from another city.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 23rd January 2012 at 10:43.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 14:31   #327
Team-BHP Support

My car has done close to 26,000kms now. Nothing much to report *YAWN*, no issues, same FE, everything working like it should. Expect a proper report when the car goes for 30k service in next month.

I got a few PMs requesting me to update the thread. This thread is not abandoned, it's just there is not much to update.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 16:34   #328

Default Re: Laura gets Curtains.

Hi Anshuman, can you please share details of the dealer where from you got your cutrains. because i am also getting quots of 4500 from everywhere.

Thanks.

Quote:
I always liked the OE curtains some luxury cars like Mercs etc...

...how easy i am on the acc. pedal. The DSG continues to bring a smile to my face every KM.
Note From team-BHP Support-Team: Please avoid quoting large/entire posts as it may inconvenience small-screen/mobile users. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th May 2012 at 16:58. Reason: See note in post :)
RockyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 17:16   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car has done close to 26,000kms now. Nothing much to report *YAWN*, no issues, same FE, everything working like it should. Expect a proper report when the car goes for 30k service in next month.
Has the 30K service not happened yet? How is the car doing?
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 19:50   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Has the 30K service not happened yet? How is the car doing?
Around 1100kms away from service. Car is doing great, no issues.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote