Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 9th May 2012, 20:44   #331
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Laura gets Curtains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyP View Post
Hi Anshuman, can you please share details of the dealer where from you got your cutrains. because i am also getting quots of 4500 from everywhere.
The MRP is quite high, i managed a good price as the shopowner was clearing his stock and my friend knew it. AFAIK he is no longer in business now.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 12:29   #332
BHPian

Default re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

@anshuman have you reached the 30k KMS mark yet? mine is due in a short while. I would appreciate if you can just give a nice heads up before I go in to the service center, and not get shocked at whatever they say needs to be done in a 30k KMS service.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 12:36   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
My car has done close to 26,000kms now. Nothing much to report *YAWN*, no issues, same FE, everything working like it should.
These are a Honda or Japanese ownership traits. Most of the Civics (Laura territory) threads feel like this.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 13:18   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Has the 30K service not happened yet? How is the car doing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
@anshuman have you reached the 30k KMS mark yet? mine is due in a short while. I would appreciate if you can just give a nice heads up before I go in to the service center, and not get shocked at whatever they say needs to be done in a 30k KMS service.
I gave my car for 30K service yesterday morning, got the car back by evening. There were no issues reported just regular service and interior cleaning job. Total Bill was 10,111 bucks including 3M Authorised Interior cleaning worth 1700(pre-tax) and Injectors Cleaning worth 2000(pre-tax). Since SA advisor was insisting for Injector cleaning, i approved him for the job, though i think it was not really required nor advised by Skoda at this service.

I wanted to give my car for service to Fahrenheit Delhi but schedule for next week was a little tight and i will be driving the car to Udaipur and back so car had to be done before weekend, finally ended giving the car to Giriraj, Gurgaon. Quality of job done is very good but staff could have been more professional, if not professional and English speaking, atleast ones who can speak in proper Hindi not a mix of Haryanvi and Hindi. Most Service advisors look and talk more like mechanics. I don't mind as long as they get the work done properly, and deliver the car on time. I gave my car at 10:45am and car was ready by 3:00pm.

Interior cleaning job was really good, considering the little time they took and my request to deliver the car back the same day. The carpet was not cleaned as it would have required days to dry up.

Even today morning seats were a little wet, so parked the car in sun on a concrete surface for drying. Some pictures of interiors, please excuse poor quality, pics taken using P&S camera.

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc04037.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc04038.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc04039.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc04040.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc04041.jpg

Will post fresh Exterior pics next week after the drive to Udaipur.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th May 2012 at 13:25. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 18:02   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I gave my car for 30K service yesterday morning, got the car back by evening. There were no issues reported just regular service and interior cleaning job. Total Bill was 10,111 bucks including 3M Authorised Interior cleaning worth 1700(pre-tax) and Injectors Cleaning worth 2000(pre-tax). Since SA advisor was insisting for Injector cleaning, i approved him for the job, though i think it was not really required nor advised by Skoda at this service.
Will post fresh Exterior pics next week after the drive to Udaipur.
So if I subtract 1700 + 2000 the service bill was roughly INR 6000.00 which is cheaper than what it costs to service a Scorpio at 30k Kms.

Does this include an oil change as well? What other parts were changed?

Delhi-Udaipur-Delhi should be cakewalk for the Laura. Do post a short drive report once you are back.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 19:25   #336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Does this include an oil change as well? What other parts were changed?
I do not have the bill with me right now, will upload the copy by tomorrow. Only thing i know is- this time cheaper Castrol Magnatec Synthetic Oil was used compared to the expensive Castrol SLX Professional used last time.

Drive report with pics will be posted for sure A detailed long term report is also due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Thanks for the clarification Anshuman.

If you are not finding the cooling less, no need to worry. What was happening in my case was the AC Vent temperature was increasing from the required 3-5 Degrees celsius to 8-9 Degree very frequently and it was not able to control the refrigerant flow properly. This appears as a temporary loss of cooling, especially in stop and go traffic. Skoda moved over the the new design of compressor from June 2011 onwards and if anyone reports low cooling, they replace the compressor (takes 2-3 days to get the part approval and get the replacement done). They have to take the car for a running Scan with a laptop scanner and then log the data for the Temperature, which they submit as evidence of low compressor performance.

Just to be safe, you can get this scan done at Giriraj workshop by the VAS team.
(AFAIK, the compressor is the same in the Laura and the Yeti.)
I checked with them, they said the ECM for Laura was already updated and new updates are not required. The AC is working great even without Sunfilm on these 43-44c days.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th June 2012 at 10:26. Reason: Posted merged
Old 26th May 2012, 21:15   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman

I gave my car for 30K service yesterday morning, got the car back by evening.
Thanks Anshuman for the update. The interiors indeed look showroom fresh. Especially the seats are so well maintained (assume its still stock).

And I really love the simple aluminium shade inserts on the ambiente trim. Find it much more modern and classier than the wood inserts in the higher variants.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 18:52   #338
Team-BHP Support

Back from 1600+ kms round trip to Udaipur.

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc_6911i.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd June 2012 at 19:00. Reason: Fixed attachment.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 00:27   #339
Senior - BHPian

Am on my way tomorrow morning to pay the token amount for the Laura L&K.
We are in dire need of another Diesel Automatic in the family and obviously there could have been no better choice. Just that the A.S.S horror stories and dealer behavior myths had made me a bit apprehensive but your car gives me a lot of reassurance !
Its one of the best examples of a hassle free and joyful ownership & i wish my L&K gives me reasons to smile.
Fingers crossed !
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 10:37   #340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Am on my way tomorrow morning to pay the token amount for the Laura L&K.
Congrats! Nice Choice, Which Color?

Off late i have been seeing so many new L&K's on the road. Seems like this variant is selling well, maybe due to the huge equipment difference compared to Jetta.

Quote:
We are in dire need of another Diesel Automatic in the family and obviously there could have been no better choice. Just that the A.S.S horror stories and dealer behavior myths had made me a bit apprehensive but your car gives me a lot of reassurance !

Its one of the best examples of a hassle free and joyful ownership & i wish my L&K gives me reasons to smile.
Fingers crossed !
After owning this car for 1.5 years and 30,000kms, i have no reason not to recommend this car. My car has seen ZERO issues till date. Not only my car all other newer Lauras on the forum are as much trouble free as my car.
Old 4th June 2012, 10:57   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats! Nice Choice, Which Color?

Off late i have been seeing so many new L&K's on the road. Seems like this variant is selling well, maybe due to the huge equipment difference compared to Jetta.

After owning this car for 1.5 years and 30,000kms, i have no reason not to recommend this car. My car has seen ZERO issues till date. Not only my car all other newer Lauras on the forum are as much trouble free as my car.

Colour ? Oh the usual....WHITE !
ALL cars in the family are white. Besides, the Laura does not seem to have a great palette of colours to flaunt as such. White looks the best, classy and i find it relatively easy to maintain.
About your ownership, yes i have been following the thread on & off and it truly seems absolutely flawless.
Lastly ,with due respect to all Jetta owner/lovers , it seems like a preposterous buy when compared to the equivalent Laura ! I am not really in a position to comment on Trendline vs Ambiente OR Comfortline vs Elegance but as far as Highline vs Laurin&Klement is concerned for me it was an absolute no brainer. No HIDs, A.S.S and genuine leather in a 20 lakh+ car ???? Ya right ! & they claim to position themselves ABOVE Skoda. I dont see how. There are so many features in the L&K that i noticed absent in the Highline and i also completely disagree with the 'Laura starting to look dated' rants ! I mean just look at it ...i dont see how does it look like its aging ? For me it looks better than the Jetta. Ok i would agree if anyone said that the Laura isnt exactly an eye-catcher. It isnt.
Its just a good looking, pleasing car that does everything well ! Jack of all trades ,master of some.
I was pleasantly shocked with the equipment list of the L&K...& all this after having an A4 3.0 TDi in my garage.
X1/320d/Cruze AT/ Jetta Highline/ Laura L&K...Laura it had to be ! That shows my faith in the vehicle
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 09:31   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same here at Blore as well. The only missing feature that I feel SHOULD have been there is a sunroof in the Laurin and Klement version of the Laura. They used to have it earlier but have stripped it now.

Quote:
What was the FE you got on the Udaipur trip and at what speeds? Your ownership report to is awaited for alongwith a scanned copy of your service bill.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 14:10   #343
Team-BHP Support

It's already 1.5 years since i bought this car. Hard to believe but this has been the most trouble free automobile i have owned till date. When i gave my car for 30k service i had nothing to report under problems when the jobcard was being filled up. For the last 30,000 kms it has covered the performance was nothing short of phenomenal. The way it adapts to varying conditions is worthy of an applause, it is as comfortable inching in gridlocks as much as doing triple digits on Expressways. Even for a car this old anyone can easily confuse it for a brand new car after wash and wax job. The best thing about this car along with the Ride and Handling Balance is Power and FE balance, it has performance to smoke most petrol cars from the segment but still does return small car like Fuel Efficiency.

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc_6918i.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc_6914.jpg

Just back from a 1600+ kms round trip, this is just the right car for cross country touring.

What makes it a phenomenal touring car:
  • The huge boot can swallow a month's luggage(Check pics in next post)
  • The ground clearance is good enough for worst of places. Underbody armor essential for our country(something non-Euro manufacturers do not care about).
  • The high profile tires can take abuse without bending rims.
  • Widely spread 320nm of torque means you can make Rapid progress despite shifting real early. In the midrange it feels like big V6 Petrol with endless power reserves.
  • Real world 1000km range when driven easy, even at good speeds it returns 16-18kpl easily.
  • DSG reads your mind, at times it upshifts at 1600rpm, the other moments it downshifts furiously to let you overtake and within a second goes back to 6th again for comfortable cruising. Still does not hurt the FE.
  • Well setup chassis and suspension, excellent high speed manners, eager handling and cosy ride. Though ride is not as flat as pre facelift Laura.

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc_6818.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc_6845.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc_6907.jpg

Other comments:
  • AC was stronger in my previous car- Elantra CRDI, takes slightly longer to cool in peak summers when car is parked under sun for long time. Not something worth complaining though, even the Rajasthan's 47c temperatures we never felt it lacking even without the sunfilm. Variable load compressor does help FE and that temperature knob works.
  • Laura is very sensitive to tire pressures, i normally keep 30psi for daily usage, this time for Highway trip got it bumped up to 34 PSI front and 32 PSI rear and i could instantly feel the difference in Ride. Ride got bouncy even with slightest increase.
  • Overall city FE has seen some drop as i have started driving it more aggressively, but it still is better than what Petrol small cars manage.
  • Tip-tronic mode remains unused in my car, Both D and S do they job well to render tiptronic useless. Unlike what the S mode word may suggest, it does not unnecessarily revv the engine all the time unlike older ATs, works wonderfully on twisty roads. D mode is the best mode for this TDI engine, it shifts early and makes it possible to use all that torque.
  • Don't expect the coolers in the glovebox and armrest storage to keep stuff chilled for you. All it can do is keep a Coke can/Water bottle drinkable on a hot summer afternoon on highway or maybe prevent Chocolates from melting.
  • I sorely miss cruise control on open highways, sometimes i think i should have gone for L&K variant.
  • Double barrel OE headlamps have very good light spread and intensity. Low beam has good wide spread while high beam has a long narrow throw.
  • ASR(Traction control) works wonders checking torque steer, which is quite noticeable with ASR off. Even when taking corners aggressively, it does keep the unnecessary wheelspin in control. TCS in my Elantra rarely every had to kick in, maybe the power delivery was not as aggressive.
  • I like the stiffer ride of pre facelift Laura better than this one. My guess is even the current vRS comes with same setup as previous Laura. Even in the current form ride gets flatter with speed. Despite having a springy feel to it, mid corner bumps do not upset it much.
  • An over-assisted steering is not always a bad steering. Yes, the steering is very light but it is direct, fast and there is no slack near the centre. There is good amount of road feel and it gain weight at turns. Amongst the nicer EPS systems i have seen.
  • Build and Quality is top notch. No squeaks, no rattles, no falling screws, no gaps, no worn out plastics, no clogged windshield washers every week.... Yes that generic distant rattle from boot showed up sometime in the early days only disappear on its own.
  • People in rural areas try their best to tell me that my foglamps are on, who can make them understand the concept of Daytime lights(i never try to).
  • Do not try squeezing a fifth passenger, he will be uncomfortable. Rear legroom not an issue unless everyone at your place is a six footer. Though i never get to use the rear seats.
  • OE sound system sounds punchy, sound quality good too for a OE system without a sub-woofer. USB option missing.
  • Both front seats have good adjustment range with wide range of adjustments including height and lumber adjustment for both seats. I like constantly changing my seating posture for long drives. Reach adjust for steering helps too.
  • Small turning radius helps in squeezing the car into narrow passage. Much easier to take U turns compared my other car- Fiat Punto.
  • Parking sensors have good detection range and are pretty accurate, they are the reason i never noticed the poor rear visibility.

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc_6908.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc_6920.jpg

Will keep you updated.. Thanks for reading
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 14:22   #344
Team-BHP Support

Talking about bootspace:

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-29042012274.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-02042012269.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 14:46   #345
BHPian

Anshuman, this is re. the injector cleaning you have mentioned. Was it just the additive poured into the fuel tank or was something else done to clean the injectors? I am thinking of getting the injectors cleaned on my Laura and hence the question.

O yes the boot - last weekend I shipped a quintal of wheat, 25kg of fruits and a 50"*36"*18" shoe rack in my car. With the rear seat folded there was still significant space left!

Last edited by Cesc : 5th June 2012 at 14:49.
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote