Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 5th June 2012, 14:53   #346
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

Excellent and a very detailed 30K report Anshuman and a good cue to right mine when it touches 30K which is 2K kms away. That was a really honest and well summed up review. I am glad to note that this entire period your ownership has been trouble free.

I do agree with you that the PDI version of Laura had a stiffer suspension than the current one. However, current TDI suspension set-up is stiffer that the TSI variant though. Besides, the PDI version built quality was a wee bit better, it was almost built like a tank.

Btw, I never understood the reason for different PSI pressure for front and back Is there a logic to that? In all my cars, i have always set up same pressure for both front and back. If its 30psi then I keep all 4 wheels the same pressure. Only in my bikes, I use lesser PSI for front and higher for rear wheel.

I use 32PSI Nitrogen as standard for my Cruze both in city and highway. When I fill them up at 32psi the ride instantly feels harsher but, in a few days the ride becomes perfect due to some loss in PSI and I normally top-up once in 30-45 days and note the average drop is around 5-6psi

Wish you many more miles of happy crunching
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 14:58   #347
BHPian

Looking at the boot space this iis not a car but a Tata 407 ONLY in terms of carrying stuff.

Myself planning to buy a 1.8TSi Manual to replace my lancer and looking at various ownership reports the new laura is a Reliable workhorse then. Just the car i would want.

Hows the response from the EPS steering when compared to HPS of your Punto or your Ex Elantra?
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 15:12   #348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Anshuman, this is re. the injector cleaning you have mentioned. Was it just the additive poured into the fuel tank or was something else done to clean the injectors? I am thinking of getting the injectors cleaned on my Laura and hence the question.
Not sure, i did not ask them.

Quote:
O yes the boot - last weekend I shipped a quintal of wheat, 25kg of fruits and a 50"*36"*18" shoe rack in my car. With the rear seat folded there was still significant space left!
I have carried all kind of stuff from shoe racks to computer tables to AC and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Excellent and a very detailed 30K report Anshuman and a good cue to right mine when it touches 30K which is 2K kms away. That was a really honest and well summed up review. I am glad to note that this entire period your ownership has been trouble free.
Thanks, been following your thread, will be great to read your 30 k report.

Quote:
I do agree with you that the PDI version of Laura had a stiffer suspension than the current one. However, current TDI suspension set-up is stiffer that the TSI variant though. Besides, the PDI version built quality was a wee bit better, it was almost built like a tank.
Not sure, i do not find much difference and i do not find the current car lacking anywhere.

Quote:
Btw, I never understood the reason for different PSI pressure for front and back Is there a logic to that? In all my cars, i have always set up same pressure for both front and back. If its 30psi then I keep all 4 wheels the same pressure. Only in my bikes, I use lesser PSI for front and higher for rear wheel.
Since in my car the rear seats are not occupied and luggage for 2 is never very heavy i prefer to keep the 2 PSI difference.

Quote:
I use 32PSI Nitrogen as standard for my Cruze both in city and highway. When I fill them up at 32psi the ride instantly feels harsher but, in a few days the ride becomes perfect due to some loss in PSI and I normally top-up once in 30-45 days and note the average drop is around 5-6psi
I am still looking for a reliable guage, i still rely on tyre shops for checking pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Looking at the boot space this iis not a car but a Tata 407 ONLY in terms of carrying stuff.

Myself planning to buy a 1.8TSi Manual to replace my lancer and looking at various ownership reports the new laura is a Reliable workhorse then. Just the car i would want.

Hows the response from the EPS steering when compared to HPS of your Punto or your Ex Elantra?
Yes, the boot is very practical.

1.8 TSI is one awesome car. Also try out the Diesel variant, the performance is not much far apart. VW Jetta is also equally good but more focused on comfort.

Despite being EPS steering in Laura is better than Elantra's HPS. It's well calibrated, no slack, very direct but a little over assisted. Punto's steering is excellent too, i'd rate it better than Laura.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 15:18   #349
BHPian

What I would like to know of the EPS of laura is does it feel dead or does it have any delay as to application of turning force on steering to actual wheels turning ?
Cause am really very very very spoilt by the complete feel and feedback of Lancers, Civic and Go-Kart type direct steering of 800.

The eps cars i have driven are the Old Zen (USELESS is not the word for its Eps unit) and Swift(fairly decent) hence the question.

Going for Diesel means streching my budget a lot and back of my mind calculations show that its not worth for going for diesel with annual running of 12-15k kms, and alhtough modern diesels are not that clattery and all but still prefer the creamy smooth and refined Petrol and 1.8 TSi is one hell of a motor coupled with the 6speed MT box.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 16:16   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the excellent report Anshuman. I can echo so many of your statements which hold true for my TSI as well.

Everytime I read one your reports, I think to myself "I should have gone for the diesel DSG". We've just brought home an i10 AT recently to replace our Santro. The convenience of an AT is truly amazing. I am enjoying my TSI right now and all such second thoughts vanish out the window when I get behind the wheel. The fuel bills hurt though. Guess my next car will be an AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
[*]People in rural areas try their best to tell me that my foglamps are on, who can make them understand the concept of Daytime lights(i never try to).
One gentleman got down from his car, tapped on my window to tell me that my lights are on. I told him the switch is stuck
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 09:00   #351
BHPian

Quote:

I wanted to give my car for service to Fahrenheit Delhi ...
Yesterday, Got the first service for my TSI done at Fahrenheit. The SA was confident of his service and could interact well. They were not paranoid about customer entering the workshop (which I did few times at the fag end to check on dry cleaning) and the SA countered my reluctance to allow a body washing with confidence by offering me to observe the process and point out any issues, if any.

They charged INR 2,190 (pre tax) for interior cleaning by 3M Pro guys, which is higher than INR 1,700 you mentioned for Giriraj. Happy with the job though. The cleaning guys were wearing 3M uniforms (the kind you seen in 3M car care center pics) and using 3M products for cleaning. Did I pay extra for the labor in uniforms?

Another observation is that Fahrenheit continues to use Shell Helix Ultra, whereas Giriraj and Krishna (Chandigarh) have shifted to Castrol Magnatech.

I resisted fuel tank additive which is supposed to increase fuel efficiency.

Overall a satisfactory experience.
bloodred is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 12:35   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Yesterday, Got the first service for my TSI done at Fahrenheit. The SA was confident of his service and could interact well. They were not paranoid about customer entering the workshop (which I did few times at the fag end to check on dry cleaning) and the SA countered my reluctance to allow a body washing with confidence by offering me to observe the process and point out any issues, if any.
Is it worth going to Delhi for service? How long did they take?

Staff at Giriraj especially service advisers are good for nothing. I specifically asked the SA to clearly mention in Job card not to apply any kind of dashboard shiner, SA said he cannot do anything about it since it is job of cleaners and i finally got the car back with el cheapo Oily stuff all over the dashboard, spent almost half an hour removing it with a wet cloth.

Quote:
They charged INR 2,190 (pre tax) for interior cleaning by 3M Pro guys, which is higher than INR 1,700 you mentioned for Giriraj. Happy with the job though. The cleaning guys were wearing 3M uniforms (the kind you seen in 3M car care center pics) and using 3M products for cleaning. Did I pay extra for the labor in uniforms?
I do not know about the reason for price difference. I did not see them cleaning the car but they are listed as authorised dealers at 3M's website.

Quote:
Another observation is that Fahrenheit continues to use Shell Helix Ultra, whereas Giriraj and Krishna (Chandigarh) have shifted to Castrol Magnatech.
Last time they used Castrol SLX Professional, this time they used Castrol Magnatec.

Quote:
I resisted fuel tank additive which is supposed to increase fuel efficiency.
These are money making job for Dealerships.

Quote:
Overall a satisfactory experience.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 12:48   #353
Team-BHP Support

Clicked this before stickers were re-positioned.
Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc_6632.jpg

@ Pushkar Lake.
Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc_6937.jpg
Old 12th June 2012, 17:22   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clicked this before stickers were re-positioned.
Great pics as usual.

A small heads up from my side. After being kinda disappointed with the Fortuner I extensively TDed yesterday, I walked into the Skoda showroom today and took a serious look at the Laura L&K. Everything that was used, right from the knobs, to the leather, from the holders to the hinges, reeked of quality and finesse, something which was simply missing on the Fortuner, by a huge margin.

In fact, seeing the kind of reliability you have been getting out of the Laura thus far, I was thinking of retaining Hariya for people mover duties and going in for the L&K Laura as my cross country all road "terra plane".

What are your thoughts and opinions?
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 17:55   #355
Senior - BHPian

Can someone change the title from Koda to Skoda?

Reeks too much of that nasty piece of works Monseigneur le Vicomte de la Jharkhand, Madhu Koda, apart from being incorrect.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 18:07   #356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Reeks too much of that nasty piece of works Monseigneur le Vicomte de la Jharkhand, Madhu Koda, apart from being incorrect.
It actually reads Skoda but the S is with the german
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 18:29   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Great pics as usual.
Thanks

Quote:
A small heads up from my side. After being kinda disappointed with the Fortuner I extensively TDed yesterday, I walked into the Skoda showroom today and took a serious look at the Laura L&K. Everything that was used, right from the knobs, to the leather, from the holders to the hinges, reeked of quality and finesse, something which was simply missing on the Fortuner, by a huge margin.
Quote:
In fact, seeing the kind of reliability you have been getting out of the Laura thus far, I was thinking of retaining Hariya for people mover duties and going in for the L&K Laura as my cross country all road "terra plane".

What are your thoughts and opinions?
It's not only my car, all the newer batch cars we have on the forum are as trouble free as my car. Check this list: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2591258 (Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs)

With Skoda Shield and good resale value(atleast here in North) i do not find it risky. There are no known generic issues with newer batch cars. With the kind of ownership i have had i would not even think twice before buying another Laura. My cousin picked a new Laura DSG last month.

Maintenance cost is more expensive than the Japs, in return you get a car which shares its mechanicals with much more expensive cars and pays you back with the drive experience no other Japs or Koreans can dream of.

Anytime you are in NCR, feel free to come check out my car.

Quote:
Looks like your browser isn't showing '' word in the beginning.
Old 12th June 2012, 18:45   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639

It actually reads Skoda but the S is with the german Š
Sorry bud. That ain't showin' up on me iPad2!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 20:54   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry bud. That ain't showin' up on me iPad2!
Quote:
Looks like your browser isn't showing 'Š' word in the beginning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It actually reads Skoda but the S is with the german Š
Well, this specific piece should be in the Team-bhp app for iphone/ipad thread

This thread title is showing alright in the browser (IE/Chrome), but shown as koda Laura DSG CR 140... when viewed from iPhone/iPad. Probably something to do with special character support.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 21:08   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san

Well, this specific piece should be in the Team-bhp app for iphone/ipad thread

This thread title is showing alright in the browser (IE/Chrome), but shown as koda Laura DSG CR 140... when viewed from iPhone/iPad. Probably something to do with special character support.
Same with the Android app too which I am accessing on my Samsung S2!
Sorry about the OT posts Anshuman - maybe you can delete all these posts from the thread.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote