Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 19th December 2012, 12:21   #421
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The AC compressor has been a weak link with the Laura for long. Don't know if the same unit does duty on the current Superb TSI, then I too should be worried in the future.
Behemoth tells me the compressor design was changed shortly after i bought my car, my guess is this compressor is shared with Superb and Yeti.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 12:37   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Behemoth tells me the compressor design was changed shortly after i bought my car, my guess is this compressor is shared with Superb and Yeti.
Yes, If I recall correctly, the design for the compressor was changed around May 2011 and my Yeti's compressor was changed proactively to the new design when I complained of low cooling in my Yeti in July 2011.
There was a design change in the compressor as the earlier design had a lesser volume of compression and also had a sticky flow control valve (N80 Valve) which often used to get stuck due to internal metal scrapings from within the compressor.

Another known problem with the Laura is the stuck Air flap (which mixes the Hot/ cold air) and the flap motor needs to be reset to basic settings to correct this.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:21   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car will go for 45k service this week. The AC compressor is acted weird a few times last month, so will have to get it checked, apart from this there are no issues with the car.
Anshuman,

This is a direct comment from my mechanic who moved to Audi now from VW. He told me to complete 45K to ensure the AC compressor fails.

He says you should ensure the whole assembly is replaced in warranty.

The only thing that can and will go wrong in Jetta and Skoda is the AC right around 45K.

Underwarrantly one will save close to 2L. Else its 2L from the pocket.

He says you should insist of replacing the whole assembly and not just the compressor unit alone. He says as a customer keep insisting and refusing to take the car back if its nor replaced and most of these guys will accept and replace under warranty.

So be happy you hit the problem at 45K and ensure you follow up and change it under warrantly if there is a problem
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 16:43   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Problem is there are too many variables and not to blame the service guys for its not easy to completely pin point the problem.

Instead its a diagnostic nightmare where you have to go after fixing one after the other and hoping one will resolve it.

Check the tyre threads. Not just your front left. All four wheels.

To me it looks more mechanical which could also be as unrelated as a lose engine mount to completely related suspension and drive.

Even a mm of difference between left and right will create a bigger impact.

- When do you see this prominent drift- High speed or low speed.
- Slowly move the vehicle front to back and see if at slow speeds the car keeps its track.

Its tough on the mechanics as well for something like this. Wont blame the SA for this diagnostics does not come on a monitor.
Its only on speeds above 60.. Till 50-60 there is no left pull. I think it would be a straight forward fix for Skoda's workshop.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 12:18   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its only on speeds above 60.. Till 50-60 there is no left pull. I think it would be a straight forward fix for Skoda's workshop.
Usually the pull due to alignment is visible at lower speeds is my guess. This could mean the thrust angle is slightly off either at the front left or the rear left. They could be working on the front to correct this all this while, while the problem could be at the rear.

At speeds above 50-60 this small difference in alignment is not super pronounced is my guess again.

- At home rotate the front two tyres.(Check the left tyre for tread pattern or worning out pattern.
- Take the care on the same road and see if there is any difference

Post this it definitely needs SA to work on Suspension, struts, Engine mounts and steering column
-
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 14:45   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
@anshuman: Have you experienced a 'left drift' in your laura? If I leave the steering in dead centre position, the car steers towards the left. On the highways, its really annoying when you have to constantly keep the steering to a slight right position, its tiring for the arm, I tried wheel balancing, alignment, rotation, no change. Comments?
THis should be a job for wheel alignment guys. I remember having faced such issues with some of my cars in the past (Esteem, Santro etc...) where one would have to keep the steering slightly turned towards right or left to go in a straight line. They lock the steering in the straight position and then make adjustments with wheel alignment tools. I remember it being a simple job as the problem never recurred after the adjustment.

You need to tell the alignment guys to align the steering wheel with the front wheels. If they are not able to do it, try other alignment centres.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 17:29   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

THis should be a job for wheel alignment guys. I remember having faced such issues with some of my cars in the past (Esteem, Santro etc...) where one would have to keep the steering slightly turned towards right or left to go in a straight line. They lock the steering in the straight position and then make adjustments with wheel alignment tools. I remember it being a simple job as the problem never recurred after the adjustment.

You need to tell the alignment guys to align the steering wheel with the front wheels. If they are not able to do it, try other alignment centres.
Tried the wheel alignment too. Will take your advise and try other centres.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 17:10   #428
Team-BHP Support

Dropped my car for service and AC repair this morning. I was surprised to see a decent SA after a long time at this place.

SA called me sometime back and they say AC Compressor and Evaporator Bottle will have to be changed, which will be done once they verify the extended warranty.

Brake pads are almost worn out, will cost ~10K with labour for all 4 of them.

Will update with the details when i pick up the car tomorrow.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 13:26   #429
Team-BHP Support

There is a change in how the things will proceed now, claiming extended warranty is a painful process. First they verified my extended warranty policy(covered by Bajaj Allianz, simply clever), now they are compiling a report which they will send to warranty department in Aurangabad, only after approval by warranty department the compressor and other parts will be changed in my car. This whole process will take a few weeks(who knows if months), i just wish they get a new compressor before summers arrive. I will be charged for consumables mainly Gas and Compressor oil, which they say can be upto 5-7k.

Only good part is i can bring my car home and use it till they respond. Welcome to Skoda!

Skoda owners beware, if some critical part in your car fails when your car is under Skoda Shield, be mentally prepared to live without your car for a few weeks even if it is just one hour job and part is in stock.

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th December 2012 at 13:30.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 13:33   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First they verified my extended warranty policy(covered by Bajaj Allianz, simply clever), now they are compiling a report which they will send to warranty department in Aurangabad, only after approval by warranty department the compressor and other parts will be changed in my car. This whole process will take a few weeks(who knows if months), i just wish they get a new compressor before summers arrive. I will be charged for consumables mainly Gas and Compressor oil, which they say can be upto 5-7k.

Only good part is i can bring my car home and use it till they respond. Welcome to Skoda!
Wow, why do they need weeks to get approval under extended warranty, are they using file cabinets and searching for documents ?

I recently claimed extended warranty on my swift for replacing the A/C vents. It was done in few mins. Cost was very minimal for replacing the a/c vents, I agree.

It should at the max take a week.

Last edited by F150 : 24th December 2012 at 13:46.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 13:38   #431
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Skoda Anshuman.

Forget extended warranty, even in case of the normal 2 years warranty, they behave the same. My reverse gear engagement sensor went kaput and the car was still less than 2 years old. They wasted one full day in VAG-COM scanning, then taking pictures of the part and mailing to Skoda, then asked me to take the car and go home as they will look for the part only after getting a warranty approval from Skoda. When the approval came and I went there again (they never called me, I was the one regularly checking with them if approval has come), they said they have to take fresh pictures as the car went out with a gate pass and is now coming in again which means it's a fresh case!!!

Good luck.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 24th December 2012 at 14:06.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 13:40   #432
Team-BHP Support

^ They have verified the warranty, now they will wait for approval from warranty department.

Even with Hyundai claiming extended warranty was a smooth process, they even got parts for my car from Korea real quick. My previous car: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...rt-review.html (Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review)
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 13:46   #433
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I absolutely second that as well.
For the Tucson, sometimes I feel if Hyundai have laid a pipe line between Korea and Chennai, they are so quick. Skoda can not match Hyundai, at least as of today.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 13:56   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is a change in how the things will proceed now, claiming extended warranty is a painful process. First they verified my extended warranty policy(covered by Bajaj Allianz, simply clever),
What does Bajaj Allianz have to do with the extended warranty? I thought Bajaj Allianz just gave the insurance policy. My dealer confused me a lot at the time of my car purchase about this. Basically "Skoda shield" is a package , which includes extended warranty for four years + Bumper to bumper insurance by Bajaj for the first year. Something like a tied up sale. They could have sold the two products separately. Their insurance policy was overpriced and any smart customer would have chosen to get insurance outside. So they came up with the idea of clubbing the extended warranty with the insurance policy, gave it a fancy name and earned a hefty commission on the insurance.

Btw do you still hold a Bajaj Allianz insurance policy?

Quote:
now they are compiling a report which they will send to warranty department in Aurangabad, only after approval by warranty department the compressor and other parts will be changed in my car. This whole process will take a few weeks(who knows if months), i just wish they get a new compressor before summers arrive. I will be charged for consumables mainly Gas and Compressor oil, which they say can be upto 5-7k.
Fair enough for them to seek the approval of Skoda to go ahead with warranty repairs. But they have to do it soon. One week max. Lets hope they don't frustrate you and finish the entire process smoothly.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 24th December 2012 at 14:07.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 14:16   #435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
What does Bajaj Allianz have to do with the extended warranty? I thought Bajaj Allianz just gave the insurance policy. My dealer confused me a lot at the time of my car purchase about this. Basically "Skoda shield" is a package , which includes extended warranty for four years + Bumper to bumper insurance by Bajaj for the first year. Something like a tied up sale. They could have sold the two products separately. Their insurance policy was overpriced and any smart customer would have chosen to get insurance outside. So they came up with the idea of clubbing the extended warranty with the insurance policy, gave it a fancy name and earned a hefty commission on the insurance.

Btw do you still hold a Bajaj Allianz insurance policy?
The Skoda Shield extended warranty is covered by Bajaj Allianz, it is sold with first year insurance, you can move on to any other insurance policy the next year.

This year i moved to TATA AIG zero dep plan as the plan offered by Skoda guys was more than 10k more expensive. Current year insurance has nothing to do with Skoda Shield.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote