Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th September 2013, 12:21   #496
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
@.anshuman - thanks so much. Also, did you have to top up the engine oil in the first 5k kms or so? Reason for asking is because I'm planning on a long trip as soon as I get delivery of the vehicle and would like to prepare for that situation if necessary. Sorry if these questions sound newbie, this is going to be my first diesel and hence the basic questions
I(or any other Laura Diesel owner i know of) never had to top up engine oil. Only the TSI engine has appetite for Engine Oil in its early days, TDI does not require Oil top up.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 19:59   #497
BHPian

@.anshuman - thanks, that's very re-assuring. Can't wait for the delivery of the car now
vignesh.cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 13:15   #498
Team-BHP Support

After a 9 month long hibernation period, Laura is back in town. As crisp and peppy as i left her, doing absolutely great at 53,000kms. Only signs of her age are slightly worn steering wheel and worn out tires.

I shifted to Yokohoma A-Drive tires from crappy Stock Goodyear NCT5 at 15000kms. The A Drives have done 38000, they now look quite worn out, but still look good for another 10k kms atleast. No signs of uneven wear, despite rare visits for Alignment and balancing job. The tires have become noisier now.

Nothing to report, the only minor issue i have with the car is a whistling sound at 140kph +/-5kph, i guess it is result of some rubber beading leaking air. I will get it fixed as soon as i get time.

Another expected surprise is the reduction in my Diesel bills, For urban commute Laura around returns atleast 2-2.5 Kpl more than my XUV. For now i am relishing the 140 German horses and DSG, Indian 140 horses are going get some rest for next few months.

3 Day old picture-
Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-20131030_132521r.jpg   <div style=
.anshuman is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 20:47   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
After a 9 month long hibernation period, Laura is back in town. As crisp and peppy as i left her, doing absolutely great at 53,000kms. Only signs of her age are slightly worn steering wheel and worn out tires. I shifted to Yokohoma A-Drive tires from crappy Stock Goodyear NCT5 at 15000kms. The A Drives have done 38000, they now look quite worn out, but still look good for another 10k kms atleast. No signs of uneven wear, despite rare visits for Alignment and balancing job. The tires have become noisier now. Nothing to report, the only minor issue i have with the car is a whistling sound at 140kph +/-5kph, i guess it is result of some rubber beading leaking air. I will get it fixed as soon as i get time. Another expected surprise is the reduction in my Diesel bills, For urban commute Laura around returns atleast 2-2.5 Kpl more than my XUV. For now i am relishing the 140 German horses and DSG, Indian 140 horses are going get some rest for next few months. 3 Day old picture-
Looks tip top! My Yokohoma DB-V series tyres were quite good! Still had 25k worth of kms left in them before the car was totalled. I vouch by those tyres. Even have them on my Innova.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 10:35   #500
Senior - BHPian

This is good to hear. Hope the Laura goes on and on without any of the "classic" Skoda issues. I can imagine the joy of the extra FE. For a week or so, I have been doing "in-gear" coasting during the daily commute and I see a good improvement. The TSi engine really has "dual nature": brutal power if you need it and "frugality" if you drive peacefully. DSG, I think, would help improve the FE even further - amazing technology.

BTW, my TSi MT has done 33000 km and I am still on stock NCT 5's. I have used Michelins on other cars, I honestly think NCT 5's are not as bad as they have been made out to be on the forum. I am glad that Rehaan also candidly reported the same on the official vRS review.

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 21:48   #501
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Looks tip top! My Yokohoma DB-V series tyres were quite good! Still had 25k worth of kms left in them before the car was totalled. I vouch by those tyres. Even have them on my Innova.
I had worn out almost 3 pairs of db V550 tires in my previous car- Elantra. When the time comes for change, this time again i am going to switch to Yoko db v550, if the pricing is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
This is good to hear. Hope the Laura goes on and on without any of the "classic" Skoda issues.
I haven't haven't heard of any classic Skoda issues in any of the TSI and CR TDI Skoda cars.

Going by my car's service history, and considering the time my Laura has spent at service centers, plus number of times zero complaints were reported at the time of writing job card at the time of scheduled services, i can confidently say that this is the most reliable car i have owned till date.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 13:58   #502
Team-BHP Support

I have been driving my Laura for 3 months now, after a long break where the car spent time at my hometown with my Dad, mostly used for highway runs. The car has done close to 60,000 kms till now, in the last 3 months i spent with the car, Laura was used for my daily commute to work and i could not spare enough time to hit the Highways.

At 60k kms, there are close to zero signs of ageing, the switchgear retains the crisp euro feel, nothing has faded, the only indicator of age is the slightly worn out steering wheel. In contrast to the endless Skoda horror threads that keep popping up on the forum, my car has been flawlessly reliable. The only time my car had to visit a service center was for 60k scheduled service. There were no issues to be taken care of just regular scheduled service jobs, that also included the expensive Automatic Transmission fluid change which costs near to 15k and rear brake pads had to be replaced too. Brake fluids and Coolant were replaced too as per schedule. The service cost turned out to almost 35,000 Rupees, which obviously is on higher side but not really shocking since i always knew about it.

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-bill1.jpg <a href=Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-bill2.jpg <br />
Next expensive service will be 90k kms service where the timing chain will have to be replaced. According to the Service advisor the timing chain job alone is going to cost close to 50 thousand rupees.<br /> <br />
Service experience at Fahrenheit Skoda at Moti Nagar, Delhi was strictly average, but a lot better than Giriraj Skoda, Gurgaon. <br /> <br />
I also visited the showroom to check out the Octavia, but the showroom just had a single display car, no test-drive car, not even a brochure and price list was so badly photocopied that i could not even read the prices. Still the desperate Salesperson had courage to ask me whether i would like to book the car rightaway. What?! I was looking at a 20 lakh plus car, you do not even have a brochure and i did not even mention i was there to buy the car.</div>   <div style=
.anshuman is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 14:04   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The service cost turned out to almost 35,000 Rupees, which obviously is on higher side but not really shocking since i always knew about it.
What I find shocking is not the gearbox oil (8.5k + taxes) but the labor under "General repair". How many hours did they work on your car? In a few years, it will be cheaper to hire consultants for your business than get your Skoda serviced!
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 14:07   #504
Team-BHP Support

Not that i really drive to squeeze maximum kpl from my car, i love to revv the engine and sport mode is really addictive, but for the other times when i drive with light foot the DSG is smart enough with shifts to deliver jaw dropping figures. All these figures are for city use, mix of mostly daily commute with light foot and and some good amount of revving in S mode when road conditions permit. I never switch off the that A/C button, not even in winters.

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-1.jpg <br /> <a href=Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-2.jpg <br /> <a href=Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-3.jpg <br /> <a href=Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-4.jpg <br />
This car delivers approx 3kpl more than my XUV, which again is quite an efficient car for its size. Good part is i do not have to make a conscious effort to squeeze extra kpl, i can concentrate on other stuff and while the electronics do their job.</div>   <div style=
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 14:10   #505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
What I find shocking is not the gearbox oil (8.5k + taxes) but the labor under "General repair". How many hours did they work on your car? In a few years, it will be cheaper to hire consultants for your business than get your Skoda serviced!
Total Labour cost including taxes- Rs.10,168. I dropped the car at 10 AM and picked it at ~6PM.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 14:44   #506
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.*UPDATE*3 Years/60k Kms service rep

Quote:
Total Labour cost including taxes- Rs.10,168. I dropped the car at 10 AM and picked it at ~6PM.
How come no oil changed Anshuman?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 15:10   #507
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How come no oil changed Anshuman?
Oil change is mentioned in the bill.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:32   #508
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.*UPDATE*3 Years/60k Kms service rep

Quote:
Oil change is mentioned in the bill.
Oil change says Shell Helix Diesel P - Is it the Helix Diesel Ultra ?

Also pleasantly surprised to see that the 2L engine takes in only 4.5 lts of oil . Compared to our i20 diesel which wants 5.3 lts for a 1.4L engine. Wonder why!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 3rd February 2014 at 13:34.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 18:49   #509
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for uploading the bill. It surely helps other owners like me.
Some interesting observations:
- Double VAT on parts (12.5% and then 20% on top of it)?
- Single VAT on labor (12%)
- 9000 rupees labor????????????????????????

BTW, you are saying the timing change replacement costs 50K+? Why?

It's ridiculously expensive to maintain a Skoda!!!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:05   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thanks for uploading the bill. It surely helps other owners like me.
Some interesting observations:
- Double VAT on parts (12.5% and then 20% on top of it)?
- Single VAT on labor (12%)
- 9000 rupees labor????????????????????????

BTW, you are saying the timing change replacement costs 50K+? Why?

It's ridiculously expensive to maintain a Skoda!!!
Its not double VAT. Different items attract different rates of VAT. Some items attract 12.50% while others 20%.
Labour attracts service tax only.

5.7 K labour for gear oil and brake pad replacement is a bit too much! Don't know if its such a complex job.

Maintenance costs of these Euro cars are definitely high when compared to Asian mfrs. In fact that is one major reason why many buyers have reservations for going for Euro cars. I guess its OK if things are reliable and last for the period its designed to last. When things start failing that's when the owner starts feeling the heat.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote