Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th February 2014, 13:45   #511
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.*UPDATE*3 Years/60k Kms service rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thanks for uploading the bill. It surely helps other owners like me.
Some interesting observations:
- Double VAT on parts (12.5% and then 20% on top of it)?
- Single VAT on labor (12%)
- 9000 rupees labor????????????????????????
AFAIK the Oils are charged VAT at 20%, all other spares are charged at 12.5%. Not sure about this. Even Mahindra service center in Delhi charges 20% VAT on Engine Oil.

Quote:
BTW, you are saying the timing change replacement costs 50K+? Why?
My guess is based on estimate from Service Advisor. But by the time my car will touch 90k kms mark it will be out of warranty and i will find some competent independent garage to maintain my car.

Quote:
It's ridiculously expensive to maintain a Skoda!!!
I can bear high spare costs(frequently used spares especially filter etc are actually cheap) but the labour rate is ridiculously expensive for the quality of technicians they have.

Strangely, most of the times i have seen Skoda bills, these service centers put all these labour charges manually under Miscellaneous charges instead of a standard defined charge, the standard excuse every time is system error/network error. Is this a scam?
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 06:52   #512
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.*UPDATE*3 Years/60k Kms service rep

Wonderful to know your car is doing great Anshuman at 60K kms. Iam quite far behind you in terms of odo reading which is just at 53K kms

However, the total bill is a huge shocker as already pointed out by many labour charges are exorbitant and wondering if they tell you about it prior to taking in the car?

Also I note they charge 100 bucks for as simple a thing as windsheild wiper liquid which is nothing but regular water with shampoo satchet thrown in which is done free at Cruze center

Keeping my fingers crossed and let me see what bill I run up when I hit 60

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th February 2014 at 08:26. Reason: Correcting typo
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 10:50   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Also I note they charge 100 bucks for as simple a thing as windsheild wiper liquid which is nothing but regular water with shampoo satchet thrown in which is done free at Cruze center
Its not an ordinary windscreen wash fluid. It has properties to work under varied temperatures from hot scorching heat to -70 degree celsius. Though our Indian temperature wont justify -70 degree celsius but it can be useful in North India as the water wont freeze. On top of that its Made in Germany.

Also you can purchase a 500 ml bottle of it for Rs 250 and its last long compared to Rs 100 charged at the time of service. Purchased two of them long time back.

I'm not trying to justify VAG, but just putting up facts.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 20:54   #514
BHPian

Hi Anshuman. I have been silently following your thread for quite sometime now. Its the single source of all information for owners and prospective owners of the Laura diesel DSG.

I have done considerable research over the past 3 or 4 months and have decided that I would be buying a pre-owned Laura Diesel DSG (Although I like the Tsi engine more, I need an automatic and can't risk it with the Superb's 7 speed DSG with Tsi)

I needed to know 2 specific things.

1. How easy is it to get paddle shifters and steering mounted controls ? (If we change the steering wheel). How much would it cost approximately?

2. I have read that someone has got the Laura Tdi DSG remapped to produce around 180 BHP. I read that the 6 speed DSG gearbox can handle upto 350nm of torque and can easily handle 180 horses. What is your opinion on it?

If these 2 can be done easily, I will start my lookout for a Laura Tdi DSG immediately (There are already quite a few used ones in classifieds)

Thanks in advance.
Kimified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 20:58   #515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
I needed to know 2 specific things.

1. How easy is it to get paddle shifters and steering mounted controls ? (If we change the steering wheel). How much would it cost approximately?

2. I have read that someone has got the Laura Tdi DSG remapped to produce around 180 BHP. I read that the 6 speed DSG gearbox can handle upto 350nm of torque and can easily handle 180 horses. What is your opinion on it?

If these 2 can be done easily, I will start my lookout for a Laura Tdi DSG immediately (There are already quite a few used ones in classifieds)

Thanks in advance.
1) Extremely easy. The steering wheel needs to be swapped out, thats it. Sometimes you may need a new steering controller. See vinj14s thread, hes done it all.

2) This is possible too, the DSGs limit is 420nm or so I believe. Lamborghini has remapped his Laura DSG and hes very happy with it.

But let me tell you, a TSI with a remap is much more fun that the TDI
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 21:05   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
1) Extremely easy. The steering wheel needs to be swapped out, thats it. Sometimes you may need a new steering controller. See vinj14s thread, hes done it all.

2) This is possible too, the DSGs limit is 420nm or so I believe. Lamborghini has remapped his Laura DSG and hes very happy with it.

But let me tell you, a TSI with a remap is much more fun that the TDI
Thanks True, a Tsi with a remap is too damn tempting - Not only for the fun it offers, but, its also a lot more lighter (around 30% or more) on the pocket in the used car market !

But, like I said, it has to be an automatic (Mind over heart really ) and I can't see any better compromise than the Laura Tdi DSG.
Kimified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 11:56   #517
Team-BHP Support

All was well till 65,000 kms, then an engine malfunction light popped up last week. I dropped the car at Giriraj Auto, Gurgaon and the car is there with them for more than a week now.

Exact issue-
On a rainy day, some ten days back the visibility was bad so i had front and rear fog lamps turned on as i drove to my office in the morning. After parking the car, when i pulled out the key the engine did not shut off. This was a strange sight, there were no warning light, i had the key in my hand and still the engine was running.

I tried everything to turn the engine off, put the key in, used different sides of the key but the engine would not shut down. If it had been a Manual Transmission equipped car turning off the engine would have been an easy task but with DSG this engine was impossible to shut down now. After fiddling with the controls for a while i turned off the headlamp switch and the engine shut down.

There was something wrong with the headlamp switch. When i tried to crank the engine again, the starter did not fire, just a blank tik noise and a spanner started flashing. Tried for a few time and same thing happened every time. I turned on the parking lamp and the car started normally as if nothing was wrong!

I drove back home, car was fine, everything including DSG and the engine worked normal. Just an engine check light popped up, to stay on. Now on turning on the parking lamp became a necessary procedure to start the engine.

I took the car to Giriraj Skoda. They quickly scanned it and found this error "B116229 Selector Lever Park Position Lock Error". They indicated some problem with DSG. They kept the car to run a detailed scan and forward the report to Skoda India. I was told the work would begins only after Skoda India replies.

Keeping their reputation intact, Skoda India replied after a few days, 5 days if i remember it correct. The dealer was advised to change some part in DSG 'box, the exact name of the part and other details have not been shared with me despite asking them several times. The Service Advisor told me they did not have any of the parts related to DSG in stock, so they will have to order the required part from the factory(and i guess from Europe!). So my car is waiting at the dealer till the part arrives. The SA called me again yesterday to indicate it may take long time for parts to arrive, they are not expecting parts any time before next Monday!

Good Part-
  • Car is still under extended warranty, for another 2 months. I hope they deliver it before it expires.
  • The staff at the dealership have been courteous so far, calling me up on their own to update and gave me a realistic time frame i can expect to get my car back.
  • This time around i did not have to prove i had extended warranty like last time when i was made to run pillar to post, where Skoda India's response was just an automated mail.
  • I do have a backup car in my garage for now.

Bad part-
  • Stuff at Skoda India moves at snail's pace. From forwarding the reports, to getting replies and then dispatching parts... it just takes forever! then public holidays and weekends step in. There are so many cars waiting for parts at Skoda dealerships. Before buying a Euro car, ensure you have a back up car in your garage.
  • Warranty expires 2 months later.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th September 2014 at 13:58.
.anshuman is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 12:17   #518
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.*UPDATE*At workshop, waiting for Sp

Hope you get your ride back on road soon.
Frankly DSG is mystery to Skoda technical staff as well.
Raosaheb Desai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 13:54   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The dealer was advised to change some part in DSG 'box, the exact name of the part and other details have not been shared with me despite asking them several times. The Service Advisor told me they did not have any of the parts related to DSG in stock, so they will have to order the required part from the factory(and i guess from Europe!).
Probably they themselves are not very clear, and is waiting for the part to arrive t know what exactly need to be changed???

Once the work is completed, they should be providing you a complete report on what changes were done on your car right?
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 14:52   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.*UPDATE*At workshop, waiting for Sp

I think the ECU is unable to detect that the gear lever is moved to park position. In the Laura DSG , does the engine shut down if you turn ignition key off while in 'D' mode?

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 19th September 2014 at 14:56.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 15:26   #521
BHPian

Quote:
All was well till 65,000 kms, then an engine malfunction light popped up last week. I dropped the car at Giriraj Auto, Gurgaon and the car is there with them for more than a week now.
I think I saw your car, is it a White Skoda Laura with team-bhp sticker? Mine is also lying there from a week. I had a major problem which I updated in the other thread of Skoda technical problems. I hope Deepak is not the service adviser for your car because he just rips off the customer.
There is a mechanic in the workshop, his name is Shahid. He is very helpful and friendly, talk to him, you can give him my car's reference. My car's no. is DL 3C AY 2793 its a silver Skoda Laura L&K AT. I am sure he will help you out or at least save your pocket.

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th September 2014 at 16:12. Reason: Please dont quote entire post for a short reply. Thanks
ricky_1605 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 16:37   #522
BHPian

Default Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.*UPDATE*At workshop, waiting fo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I think the ECU is unable to detect that the gear lever is moved to park position. In the Laura DSG , does the engine shut down if you turn ignition key off while in 'D' mode?

It will shut down but it won't start up again until the gear lever is in 'N' or 'P'. But as Anshuman said, the problem occurred after interference from the headlight switch and that is mysterious. If the dsg was not locking in to P, at least on the ECU, then how did the key come out of the chamber while engine was still running?

In normal case if you shut down the engine in D mode, key will not even move backwards until you put it in P mode. I dont think Skoda has any clue regarding the actual problem, all they saw was DSG error and that sums it up for most of them. Hope they have ordered the correct part otherwise Anshuman's wait could be endless.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 19th September 2014 at 16:42.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 16:49   #523
Senior - BHPian

I seriously doubt that the problem has been diagnosed properly. I feel it is more of an electrical issue rather than a DSG issue. Kindly also check for any chewed/torn electrical wiring.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 17:21   #524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
"B116229 Selector Lever Park Position Lock Error".
Hope this is NOT a park light switch error

Anyone has access to Skoda error code list?
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 18:01   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I seriously doubt that the problem has been diagnosed properly. I feel it is more of an electrical issue rather than a DSG issue. Kindly also check for any chewed/torn electrical wiring.
Now the car is in Skoda work shop's hand :( we can just wait for them to change the part and then check if that was indeed the reason for the error message.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote