Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 7th December 2010, 11:42   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I disagree with your analysis here. The Yeti is a very capable vehicle, the boot may not be as huge as the SUVs but is not that small that it cannot carry 4 passenger's luggage. Obviously unless you plan a month long trip.
What I gather is, if the rear seats are slided back as much as possible, the boot space is 400 ltrs (which equals boot space of Tuscon and GV) and if you slide the rear seats forward it can liberate as much as 500 ltrs! Only one needs to see what kind of leg space it leaves for the rear passengers when you do this.
One can only imagine the flexibility it offers if you collapse or even remove a seat or two (when there are only 3 people).
This is the utility at it's max.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 11:57   #62
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I disagree with your analysis here. The Yeti is a very capable vehicle, the boot may not be as huge as the SUVs but is not that small that it cannot carry 4 passenger's luggage. Obviously unless you plan a month long trip.
I think I did not put the point across well, or rather mixed up two points.

The Yeti does not really have too much ground clearance or interior space, with 4-5 loaded passengers. A Laura in that sense has more space, though not ideal for rough conditions.

Trips to Ladak would to me imply a large boot requirement and a full loaded vehicle is just one aspect, the other which was underlying is that this is a new generation Skoda (I too do have have a Laura) (which have not been as reliable as the Octavia I), and somehow taking them them to a distant cold hilly location seems ill advised. Though there would obviously be many trips that would go fine, there would also be those that do not and the risk is just not worth it - a guy who has burned this hands even with at simpler hilly trips with a blown turbo (possibly due to an aggressive drive uphill) even on a simple trip to Amby Valley which has a mild gradient and much warmer temperatures would think in that manner.

On another occations, the mecatronic unit in the AT gear changer developed a fault on a trip to Abu, I was sweating all the way to Mumbai - and driving with extra care - where the car did reach safely before requiring a complete overhaul of the AT unit.

Yes the components may be better suited to Indian conditions now, and may be more reliable, and these kind of things to tend to happen mainly after 2 year and 50k kms, and they Skoda does now give a 4 year warranty but it still plays in the mind.

A Safari is in my view a better bet with higher ground clearance and distance from critical components, just in that sense as service help would in theory be closer on hand.

Here am of course not doubting that the Yeti is a much more refined vehicle, with much better interior quality and would be much more confortable to drive on the highway.

It's finally all in the mind and we all get way with what we think are calculated risks.

Anyways it just a view point, let me now fill up the 2.0L AT Laura thread from you with clutter on the Yeti selection which neither of us has made.

Cheers, and happy journeys.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 18:41   #63
Team-BHP Support

Lovely pics, anshuman. Skoda easily has the prettiest cars on the road today: even the Superb is so byootiful! Fabia looks like the ugly sibling in the family now

In my weaker moments I still wonder why I didn't follow my heart and opt for the Skoda Laura DSG msyelf. Oh well...!
noopster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 11:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

Congrats on your latest acquisition. A splendid car. Despite all thats been written about Skoda on this community, I am still a fan of their cars. I missed buying an Octavia, but am in the planning stage for an upgrade to a Laura

Liked your Elantra as well
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 23:29   #65
BHPian

Wow.. you have two beauties in your garagae,, Superlike..

Manual Diesel are 110 bhp and 250 nm torque

How much Torque does the Auto Version has ? 250 nm or 320...

Also is it SOHC or DOHC
manyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 21:33   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyu View Post
Wow.. you have two beauties in your garagae,, Superlike..

Manual Diesel are 110 bhp and 250 nm torque

How much Torque does the Auto Version has ? 250 nm or 320...

Also is it SOHC or DOHC
The DSG AT version in Laura comes with the 140hp and 320nm output. The engine is DOHC. The engine is non-existent turbo lag compared to the previous PD engine.

I have driven the MT version, I'd suggest everyone to take that max torque from 1500rpm figure seriously, it pulls so well from low down, it has seriously good driveability. Surely it's not as punchy as the 140hp AT. And Yes the MT has the trademark VW/Skoda easy to stall tendency(Just like the Yeti and Jetta).
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 23:57   #67
BHPian

Quote:

I am actually happier with 15 inchers, i do have visit places with no roads, i love the little extra cushion they provide.
Really? For perspective, the Polo hatchback comes with 15 inch rims. If you ask me, I find Skoda's cost cutting a little insulting. Why not upsize the higher variants to 17 inchers and leave the 16 inch rims on the Ambiente?

Answer: higher margins in lower rims sizes and significantly cheaper 15 inch tires
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 10:05   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Really? For perspective, the Polo hatchback comes with 15 inch rims. If you ask me, I find Skoda's cost cutting a little insulting. Why not upsize the higher variants to 17 inchers and leave the 16 inch rims on the Ambiente?

Answer: higher margins in lower rims sizes and significantly cheaper 15 inch tires
I agree 17inchers will do wonders to the car's looks, but for buyers like me who at times have to see extremely bad roads they will prove to be a pain in long term. As i said earlier too i am happy with 15" rims, the ride in Ambiente is better than both Elegance and L&K, both of these come with 16" rims.

If my purpose would have been only city driving, i would have upgraded the rims to 17inchers without any second thoughts. Yes, smaller and cheaper hatchbacks like Polo and Punto come with 15" rims, but i do not find 15inchers insulting on my car. Just my thoughts.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:51   #69
Team-BHP Support

Default 2500kms. Update

Since the purchase the Laura has been on the road all the time. The car has already crossed 2500kms now. I do take running in a bit too seriously for my cars, so i did not push the car at all till 2000kms. Thanks to the running in period the FE has been amazing till now, it has been hovering around 17-20kpl for mixed use.

On highways the car is super efficient delivering over 20kpl+ with moderate to light foot and speeds not exceeding 100kph, that's even better than my Punto M-Jet. In comparison my previous similar sized car, Hyundai Elantra CRDi, which also had a similar sized Diesel engine consumed a lot more fuel, even though it was a MT.

The best thing about the car is the Engine and Gearbox combo. The Engine pulls really well from as low as 1300rpm and goes into max torque zone upwards of 1700rpm. When driven with a light foot in a relaxed manner the DSG 'box upshift very early, along with the quieter CR engine it feels very relaxed even in slowly inching traffic, a trait missing in most ATs. Otherwise the DSG 'box is fast and senses the driving style really well. Those coming from other Automatics may feel the gearbox to be a little too active. Thanks to the punchy low and mid range i never had to shift to the S-Mode even while fast overtakings, for those rare rapid overtaking manouvers the kick-down mode is good enough. Even though for fun sake i keep using the Tip-Tronic mode at times on open highways, i shift back to D mode as soon as slow speed traffic arrives. The ratios are well chosen. The tall sixth gear is just right gear to cruise on the highways, the car delivers fantastic FE in this gear and this gear is not
tooo tall like the sixth cog in Cruze AT. Overall the AT makes daily driving a lot easier, both on highways and city. Even after driving the car all day long, i now
feel a lot less tired compared to MT cars.

The Electro-Mechanical steering might be one of the better EPS steering systems on offer today but still it cannot match the feel and feedback of the older HPS systems. The steering feels direct but feels over-assisted at times, though i find it well weighted at speed. The Suspension too in the newer facelifted Laura is more focussed on comfort now, the Earlier Laura lacked
the well cushioned feel of the newer car but had better composure and handling. Just like most of the European cars this car too feels slower than it is on open roads.

The Ground clearance is more than adequate. I have taken the car to all kind of places and still the car did not scrape at even the worst of the speedbreakers, even Rohtak's tallest speedbreakers could not touch the underbody.

The huge boot with folding rear seats deserve a mention here. Recently i shifted my house, the car did not say no to anything except the furniture. Please find the pictures attached.

Another question everyone keeps asking- Do i miss the Manual Transmission?
No, not till now. The DSG is so much fun and yet effortless, it works brilliantly with a diesel. Yes i would love manual with a high revving petrol on trackday, but i'll pick DSG for
everyday driving.

I will keep updating as i log more miles...

Name:  DSC02589.JPG
Views: 4261
Size:  65.1 KB

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02593.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02595.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02599.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02598.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02601.jpg

Name:  DSC02606.JPG
Views: 2456
Size:  61.9 KB

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02607.jpg

Name:  DSC02608.JPG
Views: 2436
Size:  62.9 KB

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02609.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02612.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02619.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 14:55   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, great pics. And I am sure loading / unloading luggage will be a breeze with the notchback boot.
And the seats look pretty clean. Well maintained indeed!
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 10:45   #71
BHPian

As a car, Laura is unbeatable in its segment and it keeps proving it over and over again. Ride, handling, loading capacity and ability to clear most speed breakers (its an important trait in India but is generally overlooked at the time of purchase) are the strengths of Laura over its other rivals.

Whenever I look at this thread, I always feel I should have picked this TDI automatic over TSI manual. FE in petrol is par for the course but diesel is simply mind blowing with practically matching fun factor.

You are logging miles like crazy Anshuman, did you notice any change after the running in in the engine characteristics or smoothness like observed in the Punto?
v.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 11:21   #72
Team-BHP Support

I got my car registered in Gurgaon myself last week. The road tax rates in Haryana are about to be hiked to 6% very soon, currently i paid 1.5%. The Total i paid for Registration and Road Tax is 23.5k, so the total cost comes out to:
Ex-Showroom Price- 14.97
Insurance+ Skoda Shield- ~50k
Registration- 23.5k
Total= ~ Rs 15,70,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Wow, great pics. And I am sure loading / unloading luggage will be a breeze with the notchback boot.
And the seats look pretty clean. Well maintained indeed!
Being a notchback the Laura takes even biggest luggage easily. Well the seats are pretty clean but the car is just a month old, and even then i have already cleaned the Interiors thoroughly once. The seat and carpet fabrics get dirty so easily, a pain to maintain in a dusty country like ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
As a car, Laura is unbeatable in its segment and it keeps proving it over and over again. Ride, handling, loading capacity and ability to clear most speed breakers (its an important trait in India but is generally overlooked at the time of purchase) are the strengths of Laura over its other rivals.

Whenever I look at this thread, I always feel I should have picked this TDI automatic over TSI manual. FE in petrol is par for the course but diesel is simply mind blowing with practically matching fun factor.

You are logging miles like crazy Anshuman, did you notice any change after the running in in the engine characteristics or smoothness like observed in the Punto?
I have no doubts regarding Laura's capability. This car is Master of all trades. It surely is priced at a premium compared to the rivals but it is worth every penny they ask for.

Laura TSi is my favorite too but my usage is on higher side and my driving pattern is relaxed so i enjoy the Diesels more. If i had to buy a Petrol, i would have picked nothing else than the TSi.

I have not felt much change over the kms. The Engine must have become smoother at top end after running in but i don't know since i did revv the engine during run-in.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
I got my car registered in Gurgaon myself last week. The road tax rates in Haryana are about to be hiked to 6% very soon, currently i paid 1.5%. The Total i paid for Registration and Road Tax is 23.5k, so the total cost comes out to:
Ex-Showroom Price- 14.97
Insurance+ Skoda Shield- ~50k
Registration- 23.5k
Total= ~ Rs 15,70,000
1. Did you not get any discounts at all?
2. when are the taxes in Ggn increasing? I have plans to by a car in the mid of next year. Should I try to hurry up the process? 4.5% is a lot of money, especially for cars higher than 10 lacs. BTW, do you have any idea if the increase shall be 'slot/slab' based a.k.a Delhi or just a flat rate of 6%. If differential rate, do you have any idea for the rate between 8-10 lakh rupee cars. I am currently considering Vento Highline TDI.
Abhi_Automobile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 11:57   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
When are the taxes in Ggn increasing? I have plans to by a car in the mid of next year. Should I try to hurry up the process? 4.5% is a lot of money, especially for cars higher than 10 lacs. BTW, do you have any idea if the increase shall be 'slot/slab' based a.k.a Delhi or just a flat rate of 6%. If differential rate, do you have any idea for the rate between 8-10 lakh rupee cars. I am currently considering Vento Highline TDI.
The current rate is 1.5% for cars that cost more than 10 Lakhs. The prices may be hiked real soon, maybe within this month or even earlier.
Old 28th December 2010, 12:00   #75
BHPian

Quote:
The current rate is 1.5% for cars that cost more than 10 Lakhs. The prices may be hiked real soon, maybe within this month or even earlier.
Yes, I am aware of that. I want to know whether you have any idea that a differential taxation will be followed, just like Delhi taxation. If so, any idea what could be the new rate for cars ranging from 4-10 lakhs (basically Vento Highline TDI is 9.23 ex.)? I know this may sound like at trivial question..
Abhi_Automobile is online now   Reply With Quote