Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 10th July 2017, 15:41   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!

Progressing slowly towards a DIY DRL installation. Waiting for delivery from AliExpress to arrive.
After searching for genuine, affordable and well designed Philips / Hella DRLs around possible sources in Pune (which has a real shortage of these people!) found these on the other side of the disputed border on North-east -

EONSTIME 12V DRL with controller

Got it for INR 900.00 including GATI shipping in ~8 days. Which is less than peanuts compared to the Hella/Philips deals - none of which are available online on any reputed or their own brand stores. Not the right way to expand business in today's market I'd say. If they were available online even for 5k, I'd buy them instead.

My contribution to the wrong side of the border in the current diplomatic and military stand-off between India and China in Sikkim-Bhutan area...

The kit comes with a controller as well & so is truly plug and play. No fiddling with any wiring required. Just zip tagging and maybe extending the wires of the DRLs in case they come out to be too short for a Vista's engine bay.

Since its a DIY activity anyway - I don't mind if they conk off too soon compared to their claimed 50k hours life. I can then invest higher amounts in the better quality lights if required once I'm well versed with the process of installing them.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 10:54   #137
BHPian

So the package from AliExpress has been delivered yesterday & I must say the quality of the product is better than what I had expected. As of now, its justifying the 900.00 INR spent.

1. Build quality is average. Certainly will not stand up to Hella / Philips. Its ABS plastic all round. Seems sufficiently sturdy. I hope it is water proof as claimed. No way that it can stand up to pebbles and rocks larger than half an inch getting thrown at it. It will crack for sure.
2. No aluminium heat-sinks etc but I tested it for 10 minutes & there was no thermal output at all.
3. Wiring length seems just about there. Considering the Vista's large engine bay, I might have to extend them a bit - with proper connectors & not tape.
4. The combined current pull is 6mA. So should be quite easy on the wiring's health. LEDs are god-sent!

Attaching a few pictures here. Apologies for a shoddy job, did the test way late into the night after returning from office, so didn't care much about aesthetics.

The product -
The wiring already includes a proper fuse which is a pleasant surprise. I had otherwise decided to put an inline fuse in the wiring before installing it.
The package also includes 2 powder coated steel brackets, screws for installation. Each DRL is about 18cms in length.
Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!-img_20170713_213757.jpg

Testing - Medium exposure. The light is much brighter in reality than this also.
Note - the Intex Powerbank is not included in the package.
Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!-img_20170713_212537.jpg

Testing - Very low exposure.
Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!-img_20170713_230606.jpg

All that remains now is finding about 2 hours of time on a weekend to wash-up the car & find ACC point to tap into & install the DRLs as a DIY. Planning to use Araldite dipping for the screws + double sided tapes to fix the brackets firm. Zip tags obviously to secure the wiring.

Will certainly post pictures of the activity & result once done.

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th July 2017 at 11:01. Reason: Spelling correction.
Old 14th July 2017, 11:46   #138
Senior - BHPian

Hey, loooong time !

How are you doing? The last time we communicated was when you had an accident near Hinjewadi. How are things?

Awaiting completion of your DIY DRL job.
ajay_satpute is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 11:52   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Hey, loooong time !

How are you doing? The last time we communicated was when you had an accident near Hinjewadi. How are things?

Awaiting completion of your DIY DRL job.
Hey AJ! Yeah long time indeed. Was away on job for some time. Things nice! So you sold your Safire then. I love the SCross, congratulations on it!

Mostly the DIY job will have to wait till next weekend . Totally loaded next 2 days.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 13:12   #140
BHPian

So, visited Mumbai yesterday to get XP Micro Bi-Xenons installed in place of the stock fog lamps. And such a heartbreak.

1. The Vista AURA has a large windshield washer tank between the FR wheel and the FR fog lamp housing. I suspect it is larger in the AURA (Or VX afterwards) because these have a rear wipe/wash also and store more water + have 2 motors. While there is space between this tank and the stock fog lamp, it is about 3 inches less than what is required to install the XP Micro! There is absolutely NO room for any movement or replacement jugaad on this tank thanks to how the other components & monocoque frame structure is packaged in the engine bay around this area.

2. There also seems to be some sort of a thermostat/switch for the AC propping out from one of the radiator coils. This is leaving hardly any space to install the same FR XP light.

3. The LHS installation seemed pretty straight forward with only 2/3 mounting brackets ("patti")having to be made which was expected anyway.

Had gone to Mumbai after a very good conversation over last few days with Karan from XP; with very high hopes of finally having a lighting solution that ensured safety in my daily night drives through not so good rural roads.

All I can now hope is that the front cross member can be welded with basic custom L mounts. These will have to be propped out with cuts in the front bumper & then mounted with Neolite 1010 with 55W lights to begin with. If that doesn't help then upgrade the bulbs to 100W. Don't want to melt the oncoming traffic really.
Any pointers to a good place in Pune where this can be done reliably without damaging anything on the car will be very helpful. The Nana-Peth guys generally push for a bull-bar + lamp installation which is easy. But that would really be the last thing I opt for; for obvious reasons we all know.

The DRL installation also seems to have trouble now as while the bumper was already removed yesterday, I checked and there are hardly any good places to properly fix it. The possibility of even basic customization is so pathetic on the Vista that it justifies the low sales figures this car achieved.

Came back really really disheartened last night from Mumbai. But then the car always has something up her sleeve to bring the smile back. The journey was through all of Mumbai's traffic areas and bad traffic during return in the ghat on Sunday evening. However, tank full to tank full showed a nice 20.5kmpl. This time with standard HP diesel from COCO station on the Eway. Couldn't ask for more!

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th August 2017 at 13:17.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 14:03   #141
BHPian

So this crossed this milestone yesterday -

Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!-img20170818wa0000.jpg

Close to 7 years of companionship suggests very low running. But put in perspective that out of the 7, the car ran less than 300kms in 3.5 years when I was away. And the 55k running is done in only 3 years 3 months.

About the points in the image
The higher idling needle
It idles very well below 900rpm. I accidentally dabbed the accelerator peddle when the photo was taken. Hence the higher reading.

Check Engine light
Like Penny says in The Big Bang Theory, "Oh its always ON!".
Its actually caused by a dead glow plug that I mentioned in an earlier post. On the "To-Do" list but way down in it. Will fix it soon though.

Visiting Nana-Peth and a couple of accessory stores tomorrow and Sunday to try and complete installation of Neolite1010s with 55W halogens.

Last edited by Reinhard : 18th August 2017 at 14:04.