Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th February 2011, 16:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!

Hmmm...Have got a service appointment rescheduled due to rush to 14th March now. That gets threateningly close to a planned Goa trip. Let's see how it works out now. Otherwise we'll end up taking Ajit's Vista to Goa once more.

BTW, does anyone know when exactly the LOW FUEL indicator comes up in a Vista? Is it linked to the OBD and goes on when the distance to empty goes below 80kms or something? Or is it connected to the fuel gauge instead?

I tried to find this on the internet, but no mention really. Overall I feel the internet doesn't have many enthusiasts with loads of technical information about the Indica at least when compared to say Swift.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 17:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

^^^ My 2009 Vista65 does not have DTE function. So, the Low Fuel indicator must be connected to the fuel gauge.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 19:40   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
^^^ My 2009 Vista65 does not have DTE function. So, the Low Fuel indicator must be connected to the fuel gauge.
Oh yes AJ, even my car doesnt have any MID / DTE. But our engines have the OBD chip collecting all the data. The same engine in Manza is connected to the MID (the 90 sibling i mean). So if we connect a ScanGaugeII like device with compatible interface to the diagnostics port, we do get all the error codes, FE, speed records and all.

So if they wanted to, the Low Fuel lamp could be logic-ed to use the available DTE data. (Hah! I just created a new phrase in English - logic-ed )
Old 20th March 2011, 06:09   #64
BHPian

Hi Reinhard your thread was a real guide on booking my C Grey AURA ABS . The car comes with Bridgestone 175/65 14" how does the stock tyres keep up? or would you recommend an upsize?
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 11:41   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Hi Reinhard your thread was a real guide on booking my C Grey AURA ABS . The car comes with Bridgestone 175/65 14" how does the stock tyres keep up? or would you recommend an upsize?
Hey smrtdvl,

Glad to know that my thread was of help. Hearty congratulations on your Aura ABS! Do post the initial ownership report as soon as you get delivery. So looks like I'm going to have a replica of my car on TBHP soon . I guess we are the only 2 as of now on TBHP to have the "refreshed" drivetech4 Vista on TBHP.

BTW, since its an AURA ABS, I presume its a Quadrajet? IIRC Tata has now stopped Aura ABS / + versions on SAFIRE65 and they come now only with SAFIRE90 (which IMO is a high priced petrol hatch)

As for the stocks, I got GoodYear GT3s. They are fine. A change is definitely not necessary. You'll be happy with your stocks too. Now all TATA small cars come with Bridgestones. I Have shelved the plans for tire change as of now, since I've done 5600 kms on these tires and won't get any good return price for them.

As for an upsize, I always have a plan for that on the back of mind. Some day or the other, my Vista will ride on R15s and possibly Yokohamas around a 190 odd profile. What upsize are you talking about? The patch? OR the rim size? As for the tire width, the stock 175/65 is nice. No need of wider tires. Upsize to R15 could be good, but mind you, tire upsize is generally used by car-co s to threaten you with "warranty void". Generally Tata doesn't give any trouble with warranty for such trivial things. But its still a catch, so keep it in mind in case you decide to upsize. Its totally your decision. I won't "recommend" it as a MUST since the stock R14s do their job really well.

Let us know what you do.

All-
An update about my car (and furious mood). Got her serviced at 5300kms on the odo, last Monday. Some points about the experience -

1. Went to Tilak Road Pandit Auto for service, expecting to fit seat covers along with service. Would have gone to Sahakar Nagar workshop otherwise. Unfortunately the covers in stock, were of a dark beige shade, that would suit the older Vista Aura's interior colours. So didn't opt for them.

2. As expected, the service cost was INR 0.00. No top-ups or funny charges anywhere.

3. The seat belt buzzer had gone lose in the dashboard and thus was creating tiny rattle and sounding different than originally for the last 500 or so kms. Told the service adviser about it and they have fixed it well. Problem solved.

4. They have changed the front suspension dampers + anti roll bar FREE OF COST. The reason - Tata has released a new design for the Vista with better dampers. The difference was evident within first 1km after taking delivery. The ride is really very good now, and the front definitely handles bumps even better than before.

I was pleasantly surprised with this (Again - due to the terrible experiences with Maruti in past). I'll try to get more details about this design change and will post if I succeed. Generally its impossible at Pandit, since very few people really know whats going on in their own cars.

5. As mentioned in point 4, the service adviser was not much aware of the change of interior colour schemes and believed the older grey/beige is still available. Typical Indian - own staff not aware of things that customers know.

6. The SA was also trying to prove to me that the SAFIRE 65 (petrol) is better than the Tata 475 IDI + Turbo Intercoller (Vista TDI). This utterly disappointed me, terrible lack of technical know-how was evident in that conversation.

7. Car external and internal wash was really very good. I stood there for about half an hour (Without them knowing I was a customer) and all cars they washed, were handled carefully, and also washed as if they were their own. Kudos for that job. Another pleasant surprise there. Also the polishing etc done was exquisite. 10/10 for that. BUT I never get everything perfect. So, they made oil stains on the seat fabric. I fainted looking at them at first. But then, they also did manage to completely remove them during the wash and clean job. So, no evidence of the stains now. I'm trying to find out which cleaning solution they used. Really a miraculous job!

8. Delivery time - This gets a 0/10. I had been promised a delivery at 4 PM and told the workshop closes at 5. I reached at 4, and got the car at 6. Its not all that bad unless I tell that I had traveled the terrible Pune public bus network to reach the workshop from my office in Hinjewadi (opposite border of the city), and had to return to office after delivery. Too much time wasted. The car was out for a so called "test drive" when I reached. Why it was needed is something I don't really know. The ODO had traveled 13kms further than what I had given them. Diesel needle unmoved. So they didn't use it more removing the odo wire at least. I suspect some mechanic went home for lunch in my car may be .

9. Overall, service was not a bad experience, but I'll always still be going to the Sahakar Nagar workshop and would advise everyone to do so too. Its even better than the Tilak Road one, and so is the staff.

10. Reason for the furious mood -I had parked the ultra clean sparkling car at my reserved safe spot in our co-op society. But the ***** chose the same place to play "Holi" yesterday, and that too when she was under car-cover. By the time I heard the noises and went down, the damage was done and she now looks like a rally car...Needs a wash again. No real damage, but I somehow continue to hate our people more and more every day. Absolutely no sense of social responsibilities and liabilities...What hurts is its always me who is John McLane (at the wrong place at the wrong time).

Goa trip planned 16-19 April again with Ajit (my best bud). Taking my Vista out so long for the first time. Sure she'll be good. It will be a trip, that will tell my car the reason why I bought her. As mentioned on page 1, it was the vacation to Goa in Ajit's Vista TDI that expedited my swap from Maruti to Vista a lot earlier than I had planned originally.
Current planned route is Pune-Kolhapur-Sankeshwar/Nipani-Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - Calangute. Anyone who has used this route recently? Is it okay? Any suggestions for other routes are most welcome (required!). Thanks!

Will post the travelogue as soon as back too.

Drive safe!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th May 2011 at 11:13. Reason: More than 2 smileys per post are not permitted.
Old 29th March 2011, 20:21   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey smrtdvl,

. I guess we are the only 2 as of now on TBHP to have the "refreshed" drivetech4 Vista on TBHP.
Count me in as well..I own a month old Vista Quadra refresh Aqua.Done 1500kms and first service done.After reading your post on the new dampers for the front suspension,i have a query.Mine also makes a tok tok sound every time i hit a pothole.It hasn't been rectified properly during 1st service.Also mu average is just about 12-13 as of now.Any idea how long it might take to gauge the optimum efficiency?
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 12:27   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Count me in as well..I own a month old Vista Quadra refresh Aqua.Done 1500kms and first service done.After reading your post on the new dampers for the front suspension,i have a query.Mine also makes a tok tok sound every time i hit a pothole.It hasn't been rectified properly during 1st service.Also mu average is just about 12-13 as of now.Any idea how long it might take to gauge the optimum efficiency?
Hey Sam.k, sorry for the late response.
Congrats on the refresh Vista AQUA.
First my query - being a refreshed AQUA, does it now LACK the rear de-fogger, full fabric seats & tachometer? (instead provided with body coloured door handles / mirrors & rear fog lamps?). Those are big things they pulled out of AQUA trim...

Well I had mentioned only the occasional typical spring "kyaunk" sound while going over small breadth-high hump speed breakers at ultra low speeds to the service advisor. They replaced it altogether. I had expected just some greasing stuff. I never faced any problems with the pot-holes really. For the tok-tok sound you better follow up hard. They tend to simply wash and return the car at 1st service.

A mileage of 12-13?!?! Is yours a SAFIRE65? For a QJD, I must say I'm dumbstruck at that figure. Since last 6 months, my car is consuming a consistent 45 liters for 22 working days @ exact 50km running a day. Which equates to a pleasing 24.44 km/lit without budging a bit. And, since last 2 months, I'm running fully with AC (half cold thermostat set) and there is absolutely no drop in the mileage.
Breakup is 25km highway + 25km 2nd/3rd gear traffic.

I believe you are driving totally in B2B traffic with full AC which is resulting in 12-13. Still its pretty low if you ask me. How are you calculating it? I hope tankful to tankful? Thats the only reliable method.
How are your driving habits? when do you up-shift? I'm in 3rd gear before hitting 30kph. And very seldom do I go beyond 1500rpm in gears below 5th. Its only 5th gear & highway where I'm around 1800 to 2000 rpm (which takes me to 90kph).
You may want to check your engine mapping with the service guys.

Update about my 2nd service -
I had received a feedback call from the Tata Motors office, Mumbai. I mentioned these 2 points -
1. below par care taken about seat fabric during service
2. While attempting to set the "T" on the steering in correct position as I wanted, they have ended up off-setting the steering column a bit, which is resulting in the car pulling to the left (very minute and took me about a week to notice that.)

They were really good at communications and customer care. Something that generally MSIL is at the top at. I was definitely pleased at this. But what impressed even more is, yesterday I got a call from Pandit auto regarding the feedback that Tata sent to them, and now I have an invitational appointment (for a time and day when i like) when I can drive in, and all my problems will be resolved on the spot. - IMPRESSIVE. Well done Tata motors, you may be a bit late at pulling your shoes up, BUT, you've done it nevertheless. I'm much delighted with this experience as compared to the foolish PARKER pens that I used to get from Maruti for complaints and negative feedbacks (mentioned earlier in the thread.)

Will update what happens IF I really go for re-work.

Cheers!
Old 7th April 2011, 00:53   #68
BHPian

Hey Reinhard,

Am too getting a mileage of 13kmpl with full AC city drive only. It would have been nice if we had DIS for this mileage calculation and stuff. Just completed 500kms today. Moreover i shift at around 2000 rpm only, maybe that is one reason for the poor mileage but seeing your mileage i have some serious thinking to do.
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 15:18   #69
Senior - BHPian

12-13 FE on QJD Vista! There's something wrong.

I get 12-13 FE on my Safire65 Vista, which is kind of expected from a petrol engine.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 10:41   #70
BHPian

This has been my problem as well. I generally do not get more than 14 KMPL in city (most of it is B2B traffic & around 50% A/C).
I have mentioned this to the service centre during both my free services. On each occassion, they clained that they had tuned the engine and done the necessary work, but the mileage does not cross 14.

During the second service the SA assured me that this issue has been resolved and if I still have this issue, then I can meet the Tata Motors representative who sits at the TASC every alternate Saturday and we can go out for a test drive on the highway. I have not yet exercised this option.

However, I have managed to touch 19 on highways (without A/C).
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 20:25   #71
DSK

Hi all...I own a Porcelain White Vista QJD Aura ABS DT4 BS4 which I purchased in September 2010. I have clocked around 13,150 kms till date and have had no issues at all with the car. Have driven it on rough roads, highways and high (unruly) traffic (Kolhapur city Interiors) !!! with a mileage of 19 kms per litre with full A/C on. I have not posted initial ownership posts here but will do a long term one shortly.
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 11:21   #72
BHPian

I was told by TASS that th mileage will stabilize only after 7-10k kms.Till then it will be erratic.However i dont buy that logic as many of you here claim 15-17 easily in city conditions.
Old 28th May 2011, 12:03   #73
DSK

@ Sam: Doubt that too. I have been getting a mileage of around 19 kms per litre right from the day I got my Vista. However I recently checked the mileage again after 13,500 Kms using the tankful to tankful method and it has given me an average of 21.30 kms per litre. (normal Diesel) which indicates that either the diesel was too good or my driving skill has got a bit better !!!
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 15:03   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
@ Sam: Doubt that too. I have been getting a mileage of around 19 kms per litre right from the day I got my Vista. However I recently checked the mileage again after 13,500 Kms using the tankful to tankful method and it has given me an average of 21.30 kms per litre. (normal Diesel) which indicates that either the diesel was too good or my driving skill has got a bit better !!!
DSK-Whoa!!! If what u r saying is in city conditions,so u run the car pushed/towed all the time or something!I am not a very rash driver as well.
Old 8th July 2011, 19:08   #75
Senior - BHPian

Okay! Here is an update about the latest servicing - 3rd Free.

KMS Covered before service - 9,900

Appointment lead time - 1.5 weeks

Problems reported -
1. There was a strange TOK-TOK sound coming from the bottom inside of the dashboard. This is a funny thing really. It started about 2 weeks before I booked the service appointment. To begin with, it used to come when I put the key in, and set to ignition. And it would stop after some time. At first, I was quite worried thinking it was coming from the engine bay & there was something terribly wrong with the glow plug or some electric circuitry.

One day, I opened the hood and did all permutations - combinations of switches, engine on-off etc. And it was confirmed that it was coming from within the cabin - under the dashboard. Everything was working well, including the AC which I suspected. But then just randomly, I pressed the "Air Recirculation" button to OFF. And viola! the sound stopped!! It was crystal clear what had gone wrong.

Unlike the not-so-new cars, that have a manual lever to pull the air mode to "Recirculate / Fresh air" (and the newest Toyota Liva), the Vista has a digital switch with "ON/OFF" for Recirculation. When it is set to ON, a motor under the dashboard, actually moves flaps on the air-inlets, closing them. Either the motor itself or the sensor for the flap closure, had gone kaput, and the motor kept turning even after the flaps had closed. That's all. And it caused that TOK TOK TOK. (I found a fellow BHPian's similar experience with MANZA 2 days later to confirm my theory.)

2. There was a minute rattle of probably a screw behind the steering wheel in the dashboard. Only happening when the car was on an inclined, and rough road.

3. Over the first 2 services I had forgotten to report this . In fact, I hadn't noticed it for quite long. Out of the 3 spokes of the steering, the left one's horn switch wasn't working to my liking. Its spring action wasn't as good as the other 2. It used to take more efforts than the other 2's feather light and precise horn press. Reported it this time.

That's all.

I specifically mentioned to the SA and made him write on the job card, that no engine settings were to be touched, no mappings amended, no screws to be touched other than the dashboard ones. And they did obey it as evident in the next mileage that I got.

What was done -

1. Air recirculation actuator motor changed. (I'm damn sure if I hadn't exactly explained what was happening, they wouldn't have managed to repair it. The SA's face when he heard the sound was like Kachra's in Lagan.) - Covered in Warranty.

2. Complete combination switch changed inside the steering - Covered in warranty.

3. Standard Oil change for 10k kms - Castrol, charged for exact quantity, not the whole can.

4. Wheel alignment - paid

5. Wheel balancing - paid

6. Filter cleanups - free (No filters were changed.)

7. AC Vent cleanup - i asked for this, since in the last 3-4 weeks, I had to drive with the fresh air mode and visited quite dusty areas. Paid.

8. Dashboard removal, and re-fitment. It was indeed a screw behind the steering column. Fixed. - free.

The hole in the pocket -

I was pretty anxious when I asked the SA for estimate while dropping the car for service. He said it won't be more than 2500 for all this.

The next day, the bill I paid = INR 1,408/- Inclusive of all possible robbery (aka taxes).
This was less, than my 1st free service of the Omni, which was nothing but car wash, and oil stain treatment on all interiors, costing 1560/-. Oil change service was way over 4000/-.

A negative note which didn't last too long -
The car had received a very superficial 2 cms line on the left front wheel arch. As usual I was checking the car in detail and spotted it. The SA was visibly sorry and said so a moment later. He summoned the polishing staff, and with a bit of rubbing compound, it vanished in 5 seconds. Well it was too superficial and I could have done it at home with the compound I have. But I was a bit off balance in the head seeing the scratch and shouted anyway!! There is no evidence of it being their. The compound did its job well.

Important points I always mention about the Tata service, due to my horrible experiences with Maruti -
1. As with 2 previous services, the car was thoroughly cleaned in and out, polished well and smelling very nice.
2. They hadn't touched any of the ICE settings
3. I had forgotten my AmbiPur bottle in the car. I was sure of it having gone "missing". But they had packed it in a small box and it was in the glovebox!!!
4. Car was well looked after. There are absolutely NO oil stains / patches on the fabrics (which are vanilla beige) nor on the metallic parts.

With each service I'm hating Maruti (Or may be it was just Chowgule's Ltd. I don't care) more and liking Tata even more.

None of the reported problems have re-surfaced so far. Received a call from Tata Motors office in Mumbai, requesting a very detailed feedback about the service. The guy really was quite eager to get every point noted.

It's worth mentioning that the Tata office calls more than 5 working days after the service. It gives us enough time to evaluate the car after service. Now whether that's due to their inefficiency, or purposefully planned is unknown . But I used to get Maruti calls next day after the service, when I could give absolutely no judgement since I hadn't driven the car too much.

Have completed 3 weeks since service, and done one tank full mileage calculation. It remains as nice as it was before the oil change and service. Returned 24kmpl with AC on my standard office travel.

As for the posts above mentioning low FE with QJD, guys have the problems been resolved? If still pending, I suggest you to write to Tata service instead of visiting the TASCs. The contact details are on Tata motors site. You'll get a good response I believe.

Cheers!

Last edited by Reinhard : 8th July 2011 at 19:09.