Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 14th April 2014, 08:57   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!

An update after a very very long time.

The ODO reads 38500kms and all going well. Nothing extraordinary or troublesome to mention about yet. Its hard to believe that it has been 1 year since the life threatening accident that the car went through, keeping me safe.

2 New additions to the car over this weekend -
1. Philips XV 55W H7 low beams -I had sourced these almost 6 months back but didn't get time to give it a full try to replace the lamps as DIY. Over last few days I did attempt it. And here's a note to the Vista owners who might be fancying a DIY replacement. It is not a DIY job. The headlamp assembly design though great & effective, is horrible when it comes to replacement of bulbs. I removed ALL bolts holding the headlamp, top bolts of the bumper, metallic retaining strips that run along the curved edges of the bonnet on the inside - heck even those holding the radiator from top. But no luck. Turns out the bumper has to be removed or at least loosened from multiple places. Which is impossible unless your home has a walk-down pit in the garage. So if a bulb dies during a drive, there is no way to fix it without finding a garage. Next time I curse a Vista driver running with high beams, I'll first check if the poor bloke's low beam is fused.

So, visited Concorde Motors with the bulbs. They replaced it without complaints even on a packed Saturday & job was done in 20 minutes, for 250/- which I find quite reasonable at an A.S.S. for the job.

However - the car came out with a nasty dent on the rear left door - With about 2 cms of paint chipped away - not scratched away. Quite sure that a spanner or similar heavy metal tool slipped somewhere and impacted with the car in whatever attempts they may have made to catch it. Very disappointed about this. However, didn't waste time arguing with the staff too much. I'll buy a Cavern Grey spray and touch it up with. Please note that the handling of our dear cars at Concorde Motors Pune is appalling to say the least. It would be a miracle if any car returns with 0 newly added scratches / dents.

As for the lighting performance - will get a real chance to test them on the highway tonight. Will post the experience here afterwards.

I had purchased the H7 bulbs from a Philips dealer on F.C. road for around 600 apiece.

2. Pioneer 500W 3 Way rear speakers - I'm travelling to multiple locations in Konkan around next weekend. Since there will be 4 people and their luggage in the car, I'll have to remove the sub-woofer in the boot (calling Vista's rear storage BOOT reminds me of the fishing boat named "TATINIC" in the movie Go-Goa-Gone ).

So, at long last added a pair of 500W Pioneer 3 way speakers at the rear to make up for some of the sound quality lost by the woofer removal. Did this at a trusted store - Phadke Car accessories in Kothrud.
Inclusive of fitting here is the breakup -
Speaker pair - 3500.00
Wooden parcel tray to replace the original one - 750.00
(Now I have to find a place to keep the original one at home.)

The fellow there suggested that I keep the 2 OEM rear speakers in the door and add this pair. He was confident that this would be fine & that they regularly do it on Vistas with OEM Blaupunkt HUs. It was a tempting solution that would make it 6 speakers + 2 tweeters + 1 sub-woofer! But I resisted & asked him to disconnect the rear door speakers & add the 2 new ones. I don't want to test the limits of that HU which I can't afford to replace any soon should it go kaput!!

Wiring was taken from the B pillar from where the rear speaker wires enter the rear door panel. Then tucked away nicely under the floor panels along with other cables that run to the rear of the car. Sound quality is excellent & I'm certainly happy I made the change.

For information - JBL speakers would cost around 4600-4800 & are definitely worth the price difference. But since I have a sub-woofer already, I opted for Pioneer & saved 1.3k.

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th April 2014 at 09:06.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 10:23   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

1. Philips XV 55W H7 low beams - Next time I curse a Vista driver running with high beams, I'll first check if the poor bloke's low beam is fused.

So, visited Concorde Motors with the bulbs. They replaced it without complaints even on a packed Saturday & job was done in 20 minutes, for 250/- which I find quite reasonable at an A.S.S. for the job.
Glad to see there are no issues with your Vista. My Vista's odo crossed 50k last week. All super smooth.

Well, I am currently one of those unfortunate drivers, who has been driving with high beams, since the RHS low beam has gone kaput and also the RHS fog lamp. I will visit some TASS this week to get it all replaced.

BTW, how about OSRAM night breakers or something similar? I am not sure if TASS people store OSRAM stuff. Any advice for better bulbs is most welcome.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 10:49   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
...BTW, how about OSRAM night breakers or something similar? I am not sure if TASS people store OSRAM stuff. Any advice for better bulbs is most welcome.
Dealers would NOT have Osram. You have to either get it online or from some accessories shop. Recently people seem to be happier with Philips Extreme Vision 55/60W because those seem to have a better life than Osram.

And FYI, Night breaker+ is the latest one and succeeded Night breaker.

More details can be found below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-here-539.html
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 12:01   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad to see there are no issues with your Vista. My Vista's odo crossed 50k last week. All super smooth.

Well, I am currently one of those unfortunate drivers, who has been driving with high beams, since the RHS low beam has gone kaput and also the RHS fog lamp. I will visit some TASS this week to get it all replaced.

BTW, how about OSRAM night breakers or something similar? I am not sure if TASS people store OSRAM stuff. Any advice for better bulbs is most welcome.
Hi AJ!, hope you are doing well. As @swiftnfurious has already mentioned - TASS will only have the stock OEM replacements. You'll have to source the NB+ on your own.

The blue collars at the workshop may try to get smart with you in teaching you how bulbs and electronics work & how you've got the wrong bulbs. It will be a very funny interaction. Enjoy it.

I went for Philips XV for two reasons.
1. The stock bulbs are OSRAM (Not NB of course) and 2 of them have died in 3.5 years on my car.
2. A German friend of mine has tried NB+ & Philips XV both in his Civic Sport, and on phone he uses words for NB+ that I can only write as $#^(@#*&$^@#&#!* here on the forum. Now thats something when a German man says a Dutch company's (Philips) product is better than that of a German one (Osram). I think I read somewhere that the NB+ has a bit more illumination whereas XV lives longer.

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th April 2014 at 12:04.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 14:32   #110
BHPian

Quote:

The ODO reads 38500kms and all going well. Nothing extraordinary or troublesome to mention about yet. Its hard to believe that it has been 1 year since the life threatening accident that the car went through, keeping me safe.

1. Philips XV 55W H7 low beams -

2. Pioneer 500W 3 Way rear speakers -
Congrats on 38500 on ODO. My Vista too crossed 20K on ODO last week. Its been trouble free, blissful ownership till now. Wishing more miles wit new Headlights

I was planning to do a DIY on changing headlights. After reading this, I'm thinking twice.

On speakers, initially had plans to change the OEM speakers, but after tweaking the Audio settings, It sounds great.
The CD quality files play awesome, but yet mp3 format do lose some edge due to compression.
Arunshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 12:40   #111
Senior - BHPian

Report on the performance of the Philips XV - The illumination & light throw is certainly better. Instantly noticeable. Resulted in direct reduction of strain on eyes during night drive trying to spot pot-holes.

On the flip side I think the bulb's thermal output is significantly higher than the stock bulbs. The headlamp's lens was quite hot on the outside. It was not alarmingly high, but I suspect that temperature may result in shading on the lens over a long period of time. Lets see.
Old 6th October 2014, 09:08   #112
Senior - BHPian

Writing this using the free wifi at concord motors

Here for the routine service of the car with odo reading 40736kms

Things I'm to report-
1. Kaput struts of the rear hatch resulting in the hatch not staying open.
2. Lose water hose in rear hatch spilling water inside the hatch panel when rear wash wipe us used.

3. Slight thud when in potholes. But I'm unsure if that's due to horrendous rally track called nh4 bypass or the bushes are worn out.

4. Going for interior enrichment n cleaning.

5. Normal service- oil change and wheel alignment.

Plenty rush already here. As it turns out me and 4-5 others (all cabbies) are here before any service advisors.

Will update the experience when the car returns, hopefully today.
Old 6th October 2014, 11:15   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Writing this using the free wifi at concord motors

Here for the routine service of the car with odo reading 40736kms

Things I'm to report-
1. Kaput struts of the rear hatch resulting in the hatch not staying open.
2. Lose water hose in rear hatch spilling water inside the hatch panel when rear wash wipe us used.

3. Slight thud when in potholes. But I'm unsure if that's due to horrendous rally track called nh4 bypass or the bushes are worn out.

4. Going for interior enrichment n cleaning.

5. Normal service- oil change and wheel alignment.

Plenty rush already here. As it turns out me and 4-5 others (all cabbies) are here before any service advisors.

Will update the experience when the car returns, hopefully today.
Car handed over in pretty good time. Points -

1. Shockingly the SA added "Oil Flush" and "oil additive" on the job card without consulting / looking at me. This has NEVER happened in a Tata workshop with me till now. The poor soul must have done this with a calculated guess that I was blind + tranquilized + all limb amputee + permanently brain dead. Unfortunately for him I'm blessed and none of these. They seem to be not trained to answer ultra simple questions like "Explain what these 2 are". So those 2 useless things (IMO) totaling to something like 1200rs went out promptly.

Learning the wrong things from other brands are we now, Concord, TML?

2. The first question that the SA asked me was if I can take the delivery tomorrow. Quite disappointing given I had been there at 8:45 am, before even their staff! So which cars do they return on same day? Those who come only for washing? Quite sad...

Other things have been promised to be addressed. Fingers crossed.
Old 6th October 2014, 18:48   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car handed over in pretty good time. Points -

1. Shockingly the SA added "Oil Flush" and "oil additive" on the job card without consulting / looking at me. This has NEVER happened in a Tata workshop with me till now. The poor soul must have done this with a calculated guess that I was blind + tranquilized + all limb amputee + permanently brain dead. Unfortunately for him I'm blessed and none of these. They seem to be not trained to answer ultra simple questions like "Explain what these 2 are". So those 2 useless things (IMO) totaling to something like 1200rs went out promptly.

Learning the wrong things from other brands are we now, Concord, TML?

2. The first question that the SA asked me was if I can take the delivery tomorrow. Quite disappointing given I had been there at 8:45 am, before even their staff! So which cars do they return on same day? Those who come only for washing? Quite sad...

Other things have been promised to be addressed. Fingers crossed.
Back home WITHOUT THE CAR.

A. I got a call from the SA at 3:30 with quite an accusative tone questioning me why I still wasn't at the workshop to take delivery. It was the first call that I got anyway. Sorry TML, but I'm yet to master the intelligence to guess the correct delivery time all by myself. I'm lagging behind just like your incompetent car development departments.

B. About the service. Do read, fun at point 3.
1. Rear hatch struts (telescopes) : NOT Repaired. "Part Not available" just like previous service visit.

2. Rear wash water spill : NOT Repaired. "Part Not Available". I'm sure its just a water hose that has gone lose, but SA insists the whole assembly needs replacement.

3. This is the winner. For the THIRD straight visit to Concorde Motors Pune, the staff has provided a free long dent, chop & paint removal treatment covering the left rear door & quarter panel.
Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!-20141006_164227.jpg

This time the SA [NAME: PRASHANT M.] was bold enough to claim it was already there when I handed the car over! I cannot write what happened after that, as I respect TBHP's norms of decency & don't want this post to be deleted for the language I used.

I certainly hope that TML will see the results of what I did in at least 1-2 potential customers lost at the showroom. This post on TBHP should also enlighten potential buyers in their decision making.

All Pune TBHPIANS with Tata cars - Please refrain from using Concorde Motors service for anything with your car if you care wee bit for your car. The highest qualified & most professional staff there occupies the gate-room & wears "Security" uniforms. Everything after that has never even visited pre-schools. Let alone B-schools.
Trust me - I'm not exaggerating at all. The way these humans(?) handle our multi hundred thousand rupees cars is appalling. I'll burn my engine out with outdated oil but not visit this facility again.

I've driven this car for 4 years now & it looks like new. And these people(?) cannot handle a small car like Vista for 4 hours? Its a miracle and challenge to Darwin's theory that these are not yet naturally selected for extinction.

So these people really have entered "GenerationNext" or whatever they call it. And turned the customer service department 180 degrees. Now they sell you engine coating, oil flush, oil suppliment. But will not repair any fault reported. And they'll provide plenty of complementary damage to your vehicle.

Overall an excellent, consistent & enlightening experience.

A note to TML - I was done saving for the STORME. Was only waiting a bit to see if the elusive refresh did arrive. Thank you very much for this experience before I made that grave mistake.

I'll buy a fleet of 3-4 Mahindra MAXIMOs with that money but won't buy your car that your own stores can't handle.
You can use this instance as a case study in your organizational trainings. Heading should be "How to lose an assured 14L paying Safari Storme Customer". Or perhaps you already have plenty of these. We see them working in your showrooms & service stations.

I request god's mercy and forgiveness for making the mistake of promoting Tata cars & getting at least 4-5 of my friends & relatives (Latest being an Indica eV2 emax last week!!) to buy them...

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th October 2014 at 19:04.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 09:20   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Back home WITHOUT THE CAR.

So these people really have entered [/b]"GenerationNext"[/b] or whatever they call it. And turned the customer service department 180 degrees. Now they sell you engine coating, oil flush, oil suppliment. But will not repair any fault reported. And they'll provide plenty of complementary damage to your vehicle.
They call it "HorizoNext". Must be some polar horizon where the sun won't be rising any time soon...
Old 7th October 2014, 09:51   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a shocker, and yes - most of these SAs have the courage to quickly reply that the scratch was already there before it visited the showroom.

Had the same experience with FIAT once where the SA quickly replied in the same negative tone. However, since the car was covered in dust and the area where the scratch came was wiped free of it - they couldn't argue more and quickly apologized and offered to repaint at their costs.

Have they agreed to repair finally? Why dont you try rubbing and polishing? Looks like most of it could be minimized.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 10:09   #117
Senior - BHPian

Reinhard: Sad to see the service quality from Concorde. But believe me, nothing new about it.

When I had visited their service centre (unfortunately), I had the exact bad experience. While driving my Vista out of the service bay, the idiotic driver brushed my Vista against a Manza parked right at the turn. Thankfully, my Vista did not get any scratch as such. But the Manza's rear right door was badly damaged.

I also told the SA that one of our forum members had had the same experience and you guys have not improved. He was all apologetic and all, but I pity for the Manza owner. When the hell are these guys going to grow up???

I had a better experience at Pandit service center of all the Tata service centres in Pune in the last 5 years of ownership. Even if it is hard to get an appointment at Pandit, it is worth waiting IMO.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 11:29   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thats a shocker, and yes - most of these SAs have the courage to quickly reply that the scratch was already there before it visited the showroom.

Had the same experience with FIAT once where the SA quickly replied in the same negative tone. However, since the car was covered in dust and the area where the scratch came was wiped free of it - they couldn't argue more and quickly apologized and offered to repaint at their costs.

Have they agreed to repair finally? Why dont you try rubbing and polishing? Looks like most of it could be minimized.
Of course! Do they have a choice but to repair it? And no, its not a "Scratch" if the picture makes you believe that way. Its a deep dent with even cut in the metal. It has started even further up the door panel, which unfortunately is not captured in this picture. In fact its not about the damage at all anymore. Its about the pathetic mindset at this disgusting place with a Tata logo.

Quote:
Reinhard: Sad to see the service quality from Concorde. But believe me, nothing new about it.

When I had visited their service centre (unfortunately), I had the exact bad experience. While driving my Vista out of the service bay, the idiotic driver brushed my Vista against a Manza parked right at the turn. Thankfully, my Vista did not get any scratch as such. But the Manza's rear right door was badly damaged.

I also told the SA that one of our forum members had had the same experience and you guys have not improved. He was all apologetic and all, but I pity for the Manza owner. When the hell are these guys going to grow up???

I had a better experience at Pandit service center of all the Tata service centres in Pune in the last 5 years of ownership. Even if it is hard to get an appointment at Pandit, it is worth waiting IMO.
Agree with you totally. I used to go to Pandit earlier. But moved to Concorde as the place is a bit more convenient from my home. Anyway. The damage is done. I'll be looking for a service after another year. At that time I'll go to Pandit perhaps . All I really need is one of those European type "do-it-yourself" garages with tool-kits. What do I do in service? Oil change. The only reason why I need a service station visit is because I live in a flat & not a bungalow & don't have a parking with a pit in the middle to go under the car. Had I got that I'd never even see a service station.

I'll hope they never grow up & keep paying the price of this behaviour for a long long time.
Old 8th October 2014, 18:46   #119
Senior - BHPian

So no contact yesterday. No contact till 5 pm today. And a lady called from Concorde and very politely, asked for my feedback about the vehicle that I had gotten serviced from Concorde motors.

So broken is the overall chain of communication that the person seeking a feedback had NO CLUE that the vehicle still sits in Concorde. I explained the situation to her with a lot of self restraint. She apologized on behalf of Concorde - this I felt really sad about - and promised a speedy resolution.

Some minutes later I got a call from the GM Mr. Hemant & he made a kind effort to resolve the situation. Sadly for him, the fact remains that my car still sits in Concorde with damage inflicted by them, and no resolution to the issues I reported. He also suggested that I should have spoken with him personally before going public with the issue. Which I found amusing given that I was literally screaming in the service station to speak with the senior most possible person available there, and nobody was available / ready to point to the right door.
So he has now done the only thing at his disposal - promised a resolution to the issues, fixing of the damage.

At around 6:15 I got a call from Mr. Sidharth Date who is the manager of the bodyshop & the BEST person I met there & he gave me a proper update about the car being in paintshop & that it will take a night's time for it to dry etc (which we know anyway).

So the wait continues. Just hope to get the car back in working order with no further damage / tampering.

Last edited by Reinhard : 8th October 2014 at 18:59.
Old 11th October 2014, 20:28   #120
Senior - BHPian

A quick update via mobile app. Apologies for any grammatical/spelling mistakes.

The car is back!!
1. Dents repaired. Paint resprayed. At first glance, didn't look like a 100% match. But it was getting dark and my eyes could be playing games. Will confirm in light. Any way, not a big deal, I won't count that as a negative at all. Plus - they've voluntarily repaired an existing dent on the rear quarter panel. If I complain now, I'll be a criminal.

2. Rear wiper washer - whole assembly has been replaced. They say the point where the hose gets connected was damaged. I didn't get to see the damage. But it was covered fully under warranty. Browney points here as always to TASS in hassle free warranty approvals.

3. Hatch shockers - Both have been replaced and after a long while the hatch stays open when opened.
This wasn't approved in warranty with the explanation being it's a hydraulic part and not covered. That's a bit odd as even some suspension parts are covered. But its ok. They are mrchanical parts and normal wear and tear will play its part. So I paid the 1000rs for it without any arguments.

4. Interior enrichment. As always done well. New car like feel on the inside. Worth every penny.

5. And again a bit of fun!! At delivery I saw another couple of scratches at front left fender and door handle. It was a moment where the SA (shankar r.) And me actually honestly laughed!! Now neither of us know if these scratches were there when the mayhem broke on Monday evening. I only know they weren't there when I dropped the car for service. However, without any words, they took the car downstairs, did touchups and rubbing where required and fixed it all up.

So? A Happy ending.
Except for the damage done and claim that I had done it, was there anything wrong? Absolutely not!!! The GM, Mr. Hemant & the manager of the body shop Mr. Sidharth Date, really made all possible efforts to resolve the matter. Never did they pull comparisons with other vendors, no defensive talk. Very professional approach. I cannot ask for anything more at a service station. So an honest and certainly due thanks to them.

If only the damage didn't happen on 3 successive visits or even was simply rectified without shying away from it, this service would fall into a premium experience. But ok, it ended well. No open wounds.

Apart from this, At the showroom, felt really nice to see a good rush for the zest! At every 5 minutes a zest TD car went out with excited family and equally excited sales rep on board. The FTronic XMA is available for TD. I was offered one too, but declined as I have driven the QJD and revotron in mumbai and was more interested in my own baby :-D.

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th October 2014 at 20:34.