Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th October 2014, 14:02   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!

Even in my 2009 Dec Vista the rear hatch struts went for a toss almost a year back. Not replaced them yet. How is the clutch holding up ?
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 16:18   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Even in my 2009 Dec Vista the rear hatch struts went for a toss almost a year back. Not replaced them yet. How is the clutch holding up ?
Yes it seems like a common problem for the Vista. In my friend's Vista as well the struts had died. But at that time we had attributed that to the heavy JBLs in his parcel tray . I didn't have any when the struts passed away. Since then now I have Pioneers, but the new wooden tray is not connected to the hatch at all. So no load for the struts.

As for the clutch - as good as new. Anyway I have done only 40k kms (only 4k in last whole year!!!) so don't expect troubles any time soon. It's extremely light and no choppy / jumpy behaviour. So much so that in the penultimate service around 32k kms, the SA had asked me if I had got the clutch overhauled / serviced. I hope it carries on well.

OT - The sparkling new-car look lasted very few days. It rained out of schedule in Pune when I was in office and the car was at home. All the accumulated dust on the car cover found its way through with the rain water and now she is back to looking like a rolling heap of mud on wheels. I've taken ajay_satpute's long standing advise. I'll take her to 3M for foam washes once every 3 months or so now on.

Went to some 3-4 accessory stores to check on art-leather seat covers. Absolutely nobody has any that match well with the rare (for Vista)vanilla beige + ebony black combination that I have. Not even samples to get made to order. Seems I'll continue with the stock fabric upholstery. It looks uber-fresh after the recent 3M interior enrichment and was thinking of using this opportunity to add good covers. Will check on Car-Cupid some day. I suspect he will have a better collection.

Last edited by Reinhard : 24th October 2014 at 16:26.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 12:25   #123
Senior - BHPian

And today we complete 4 amazing years of a robust relationship and enter into 5th year of looking after each other.

(This also means that Scharnhorst is now out of warranty protection but thats unimportant till the need arises.)

So now thinking of an anniversary gift. Have shortlisted -
1. Dash cam
2. Art leather seats
3. Alloy wheels.

Have been surfing a lot since a week now but haven't yet found alloys that please me a lot for the asking price. So the search goes on.

Will be hunting for seat covers with matching colour today.

Dashcam is really online buy thing.

And so we drive on...

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st November 2014 at 12:32.
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:19   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

1. Dash cam
2. Art leather seats
3. Alloy wheels.
So ordered an economy grade Dash-Cam from ebay. One of the most commonly seen units, with the wicked 6 IR LEDs popping out the front. Expectations are pretty low. Will post results when delivered.

Got it very cheap @ 1350/- on eBay and practically for free as I redeemed Payback points for it.

Hunt for alloys and matching seat covers continues. Went to Shree tires [Bridgestone Select outlet] Chandani Chowk on Saturday for alloys and was quite disappointed with the attitude at the store. The fellow wasn't interested at all in showing any wheels and showed me only TWO designs. Didn't even show catalog / online list when I asked for it. Worth mention though that he quoted 17500 for a set of 4 while Lokmanya tires (near Garware College) quoted 18500 and above.
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:44   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Quote:
Yes it seems like a common problem for the Vista. In my friend's Vista as well the struts had died.
One quick question: Does your office have those daily 'mundane and useless' security check where they open the rear hatch? if so that is the issue.
IMO, They pull up the Hatch lid forcefully against the pull of the struct, resulting in the damage. I faced the same issue, and now I just tell them that hatch open button is not working. So they just glance inside and let me through.
Arunshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:45   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
One quick question: Does your office have those daily 'mundane and useless' security check where they open the rear hatch? if so that is the issue.
No such checks at all. I just think its poor quality - nothing else
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:49   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
IMO, They pull up the Hatch lid forcefully against the pull of the struct, resulting in the damage. I faced the same issue, and now I just tell them that hatch open button is not working. So they just glance inside and let me through.
@ button not working. You are right. I work in IT like many. Somehow the companies feel we carry nitro-glycerin, C4 or things like that in the boot which must be inspected before allowing to be taken in. But then, all cars go through the Z+ standard security check. Haven't seen a Swift or a Ritz with a boot lid that tries to decapitate the owner if he/she doesn't show affection towards the hatch.

Perhaps the reason is that the Vista's boot lid is pretty heavy too & the struts should have been stronger than what they are giving? Or were giving in versions till mine. I'm yet to hear a complaint about them since the "Sedan Class Vista" [with the Manza mouth] rolled out.

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd November 2014 at 18:51.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 13:33   #128
Senior - BHPian

Got the Dash-Cam delivered. Attaching a picture. Seems to work pretty well for the price. But have recorded only in-house so far as didn't get time to buy a 32gb SDHC card for it.
Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!-dashcam.jpg

Some random pictures taken at sunrise around 7:30 am at Megapolis (Hinjewadi) on Sunday.

Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!-face.jpg

Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!-circle.jpg

Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!-megapoliscar.jpg

Odo on the brink of 41k kms now.
The internet is working (?) horribly slow for me today. It took me 1 hour to upload these 3 images!
Old 10th November 2014, 15:22   #129
BHPian

Nice pics Reinhard. Have they been clicked with the new dash cam? If time permits, please share some pics in low/no light where the leds have a role to play. Which brand of dash cam did you order? I am keen on ordering one myself that too on a budget!
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 16:22   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Nice pics Reinhard. Have they been clicked with the new dash cam? If time permits, please share some pics in low/no light where the leds have a role to play. Which brand of dash cam did you order? I am keen on ordering one myself that too on a budget!
Hi @Chaand, no they are clicked with cell phone

I did try the camera at home at night with all lights switched off. The IR LEDs did light things up at that close ranges in pitch dark pretty well. However, I won't judge how they'll perform at night on road just yet before I test it.

Give me a day or two, I'll get the memory card for it & take pictures & videos and post here. The SDs that I have are loaded with photos from SLR and I don't want to fiddle with those just yet.

Its a generic one. No brand really. You'll find this model on all online stores with different names. I took the cheapest one from eBay.
Old 12th June 2017, 12:38   #131
Senior - BHPian

Back after a LONG TIME! Was based out of the country for almost 2 years so not many updates to mention about the car other than that she behaved very well here. Not much use as the family is quite weary of using my car thinking about the backlash if something went wrong :P

1. Battery died - quite obvious considering the minimal use. Replaced with an Exide one. Worth mentioning that they replaced it in warranty without any fuss & charged only about 500rs.

2. AC had stopped cooling - it seems the relay had conked off since there was no tick/tack when AC was turned ON or OFF. Taken care of during service. They recharged the gas anyway & now the cooling is significantly better. I'd say at the same level as it was when I first got the car. Chills in seconds even at HALF cold setting.

3. Routine service with oil change, interior 3M cleaning & wheel alignment done along with that at PANDIT Auto Pune as usual. Nothing else was to be done as the car was barely used at all. The job was done well. Bill came to the usual expected 9k with the list of things asked for (including the AC service).

4. BAD! For the 2nd time in a row, 1 week after the routine service, a glow plug has died & so the coil blinks & Check Engine lamp is on. Its the 3rd glow plug gone now & so leaves only one original. Guess this much life is what can be expected from them. Will get that changed some time when I really have nothing to do. Not really urgent as yet to actually go out of the way from pending work to get that fixed.

Now back to daily Hinjewadi IT Park service since in a month. Loving to be back with the car 50kms a day even in these ghastly traffic and (non existent) road conditions. Going great together as always.
ODO is at about 54k kms. Terrible number for a diesel car 7 years old I know...But didn't use her at all for 3.5 of them in total. So OK.

Thinking of replacing the OEM ICE with a better one that has media-NAV + proper pre-outs for my amp & subW. Any suggestions welcome. I own a VISTA, so am budget conscious. Having used a Renault Megane - I have witnessed the usefulness of in-dash NAV & would prefer to have one in my car too.

Very high itch of a tuning box as well...But controlling myself.

Here's a little snap taken just candidly. So ignore the surroundings. .
Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!-img_20170529_120729.jpg
Old 12th June 2017, 15:18   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thinking of replacing the OEM ICE with a better one that has media-NAV + proper pre-outs for my amp & subW. Any suggestions welcome. I own a VISTA, so am budget conscious. Having used a Renault Megane - I have witnessed the usefulness of in-dash NAV & would prefer to have one in my car too.
On second thoughts - I'm OK with a good stand-alone GPS Nav unit as well, as long as it doesn't take too much of a hassle for wiring etc.
Any pointers? I'm quite naive in this field I'm afraid.
Old 21st June 2017, 12:16   #133
Senior - BHPian

After at about 4 years, filled up SHELL diesel again. Been running on HP / BP forever during this time & totally HP since last 1.5 months.
There is an unmistakable difference.

1. The in-cabin engine noise has reduced a lot. I'm sure I'm over optimistic here but it feels like it has halved!
2. Low RPM torque around 1100 to 1200 RPM has increased at least 20%. Way lower gear changes than normal after diesel fill.
3. At RPMs above 1800 the engine on HP felt extremely grumpy and noisy. All gone. Its butter smooth.
4. I could "feel" the engine rattle with HP much more than I do on Shell today. Much smoother idle clatter.

FE will be monitored over next 2 fills but the driving experience is unquestionably better. Didn't expect this drastic difference.

The reason behind trying SHELL again was in fact the 4 points above. I was simply not liking the feeling of the car over the last 1.5 month & was very suspicious about the fuel itself that I was filling. Had filled at 3 different HP stations but all had more or less similar results.

Filled up at the Shell station on Paud road after Manas resort. At 59.20 INR per liter.

Last edited by Reinhard : 21st June 2017 at 12:17.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 12:35   #134
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody done any DIY DRL installation on a Vista or a Punto? I intend to install DRLs on the airdam which seems pretty much similar to the previous Punto in assembly at least.

Can anyone give any pointers to how to remove it? I wish to do a DIY for it as its a fairly straight forward job other than removal of the air-dam itself. Don't want to go to any store for such a thing as they simply don't take the amount of care of the car that I wish for.

Any guidance will be very helpful! Thanks.
Old 6th July 2017, 15:36   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anybody done any DIY DRL installation on a Vista or a Punto? I intend to install DRLs on the airdam which seems pretty much similar to the previous Punto in assembly at least.

Can anyone give any pointers to how to remove it? I wish to do a DIY for it as its a fairly straight forward job other than removal of the air-dam itself. Don't want to go to any store for such a thing as they simply don't take the amount of care of the car that I wish for.

Any guidance will be very helpful! Thanks.
My bad above. I meant the lower grille that houses the fog-lamps. I don't think thats exactly the air-dam. The term is quite interchangeably used infact.

Short of patience, I went again to the parking (during office hours! ) and checked the whole thing again. It seems someone in the design team itself thought of attaching DRLs afterwards & the grille slats have a slope of about 25 degrees to the ground. So I might infact be able to screw in the DRL holders without having to remove it at all! Time to head to AliExpress.com for the procurement!

On a different note - a tankful FE calculation with Shell diesel has returned 18.5 kmpl. Considering the slow traffic route with ghat that I take to office (max total time on 5th gear is about 5 -10 minutes out of 50) via Pirangute-Megapolis (HJW slaves will know) this number is excellent I'd say with AC always ON.

Has anyone noticed that the tire pressure seen on Shell station air-fillers, is higher than that seen on other stations or on analogue gauges?
35 PSI on HP or on Manual gauge gets pegged at 38 on Shell fillers & they reduce the pressure instead!
I certainly feel that Shell station's 35 is way lower & this time asked him to fill up 38 in the fronts instead! And it feels just about right. After close to 3 lakh Kms of driving overall, one can easily "feel" the air pressure in tires.

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th July 2017 at 15:42.