Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th December 2010, 00:34   #1
BHPian

Default Skoda Fabia Diesel - 60 K Ownership Report

It's been a year and 9 months since I bought my first car in India, a Skoda Fabia Diesel. Since then the vehicle has seen four states (namely Karnataka, Andhra, Tamilnadu and Goa) and has done 60+ K KM. It's been a hell of a ride and lots of it.

I guess it's time to share some of my experiences with this vehicle on this forum.

Car : Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.4 PD TDI
Odo : 62,000 KM

Services and Cost :

10 K - Re. 4000 (This was a free service)
20 K - Re. 9000
35 K - Re. 6000
50 K - Re. 8000
50 K Tire Changes - 4 Bridgestone Potenza GIII - Re. 16400
60 K - Re. 16000
(This one is too much, but I asked for it. They changed both filters, changed couple of damaged shockers from back suspension, changed transmission fluid and did the normal 60K service).

I would say the service cost is quite high as the Skoda parts are costly and the labour cost is also quite high. Also they put Synthetic Engine oil, which costs arround 3K per service. But over the period I have seen that the after sales service of Skoda (in my case TAFE ACCESS LIMITED) as a whole has been improving. At the begining, two years back, you would find simple mistakes in their work, it felt as if they don't care at all. Now I depend of couple of service people I came to know over time and they have not failed me yet. They deliver on time and do as requested. Overall, I am quite satisfied, but will be fully satisfied if the cost of the service came down a bit.

Driving :
For the car it has been almost two years of abuse when it comes to driving. My driving is composed of 95% Highway and 5% City driving. I don't take my fabia to office, I use my bike for that purpose.
It makes more sense not to add to traffic woes of my beloved city.

We have taken several long trips in the car. Most of the times it's been me and my wife. Couple of times the vehicle had to carry 4 people.

Trips taken :

1. Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Halebid - Shakleshpur
2. Bangalore - Gingi Fort ( near Pondycherry)
3. Bangalore - Kodaikanal ( 2 Times)
4. Bangalore - Mangalore - Udupi - Maravanthe - Gokarna ( 2 Times)
5. Bangalore - Hampi - Aihole ( 2 Times)
6. Bangalore - Chennai ( 5 times)
7. Bangalore - Goa

The car has seen a variety of roads, starting from butter smooth GQ to the horrible Shiradi Ghat and NH 17 after monsoon. It has also experienced the ghat roads of Ooty and Kodai.

Driving Experience :

Most of my driving has been on highways, and the Fabia really excels in it. In this 2 years the vehicle has never failed us. It has taken every road thrown to it with minimal effort and minimum fuss.

The solid built of the car and the composed control in high speed makes me feel very comfortable even at 100-120 KMPH range while cruising on GQ.
The braking capability has at least saved me 4-5 times from imminent accidents. This is a big plus, when you want to avoid suicidal pedestrians trying to get mauled by your car.

Positives :

I can directly relate to positives mentioned in Team BHP review on Fabia. It's the comfort and the control.

1. Solid Built, fit and Finish
2. Ride quality like a Sedan.
3. Diesel gives comparable fuel efficiency.
4. Driving comfort, control and feeling safe.
5. Stability of the vehicle (even at 120 - 130 K)

Negatives :

1. The Uderpowered engine ( 3 Cylinder ? )
2. Noisy Engine ( will beat a Sumo or Qualis)
3. Very costly service ( lowest 4 K, I am yet to see the highest.)
4. Service network. (very few dealers, only 2 in a big city like Bangalore. Even some of the Tier II cities have none).

Overall :
Overall it's been a smooth ownership experience till now. Initially the A/C had some glitches and Tafe's service was really worrisome. Things have improved with Tafe and I have not faced any major problems with the vehicle yet.

I am quite satisfied with my Fabia. It's been quite expensive to maintain it, but looking at my usage of the car I can't complain much.
I don't really think any of the Indian make hatchbacks would have been suitable for my driving needs. Looking forward to coming back to this section for a 100K review on the same vehicle.
KishoreC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 06:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Skoda Fabia Diesel - 60 K Ownership Report

Great to hear your experience Kishore. Hope they continue to better the service and bring down the cost. Not sure of the labour though, at least costs of spares and consumables should come down, given the platform for new Fabia being shared with Polo and which is highly localized.

Lets here from someone who has a new Fabia and how has his/her ownership experience been?

Congrats once again.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 15:22   #3
BHPian

Nice review there. The 20K service cost also seems a bit high. Can you please list which all components were replaced during service (if you remember)?
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 15:38   #4
BHPian

Nice to read about skoda fabia diesel 60k k.m review.

Quote:
KishoreC: 2. Noisy Engine ( will beat a Sumo or Qualis)
I believe that. Once , my friend came to my house in his fabia diesel and was parked in front of my house and yet, one could hear the 'boom' noise of the fabia diesel engine in my room on the first floor!!. By the way, did you asked the service advisor on your last service to check the engine mountings. Who knows the weakened mountings might accentuate the noise of this engine.
ritedhawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 15:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

A very good review. I have my fabia Elegance running at 77000kms in 30months but so far just changed the tyres once apart from regular service and A/C compressor and condenser changed under warranty. Have my next service due at 80k. Haven't faced any suspension issue so far. However this time will have to change the Timing belt along other consumables with Intake manifold cleaning.
1.4TDI PD is a great performer, it returns the mileage of around 18-20kms on the highway inspite of having a remap and some spirited driving.

Could you give break up on the cost of service done at 60k ?

Last edited by Invinsible : 16th December 2010 at 15:54.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 15:53   #6
BHPian

This is indeed a fresh breath of air. May you have many more happy miles with your car. 60K is a lot of miles in 2 years!
NevGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 16:06   #7
BHPian

Great review ! And you guys are surely clocking some miles i must say (60k, 77k !!).

Remove near 4k worth of synthetic oil cost from the service costs (per service) and then you will see more 'sane' figures there. Almost in the ballpark of what you'd expect at your Maruti/Hyundai workshops for paid services.

And I agree, hard to find a better ride (stability, handling, FE) for the highways in the segment.

Look at that 'engine cover' to take care of the engine noise.
It does cost as much as a decent sized solitare ring (just for some sensible comparision)
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 16:23   #8
BHPian

well I don't think that you spent a lot on service.

I had a swift, which needed to be taken to a service center at every 5000 km, and every time the dealer gave me a bill of at least Rs 1800 - 2600, during the times when the fluids and lubricants were replaced the bill sometimes touched 3000 Rs as well.

Now compare that with the 10000 Km service of your car, I don't think its much at all.

Nice review!
may you have many more trustworthy Km in this beauty!
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 18:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@Kishore, congrats on the 60k. Wishing you many more miles of happy, trouble free ownership.

Can you give cost of typical parts - like filters etc.
I thought filters are replaced more regularly.

Where are you getting it serviced ? Tafe Access Hosur Rd ?

And pls post some pics.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:40   #10
BHPian

This is the 60K service Bill.

As you can see in this service there are four parts for filters (no. 1, 3, 4 and 6).
These parts together costed Rs. 2036/-

Bigger ones are for Transmission Oil, Rubber Mount and Buffer (together around Rs. 3500/-).

Add to that engine oil of Rs. 2379.

Also look at the labor charges.

Yes, the work is done by TAFE.

KishoreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost forgot that it was a 1.4 but a 3cylinder PDI.

Isnt the labour cost on the higher side?

Filters would be fuel and air right? Would have been better if they have said what those were! Sniff SNiff!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 14:17   #12
BHPian

KishoreC,

You have mentioned that you have travelled thru Shiradi and NH-17 in the last couple of years. Can you comment on the ground clearance of Fabia? Spec says 158 mm when compared to 168 mm of Polo.

Thanks in advance.
TracerBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 14:20   #13
BHPian

KishoreC, sure you have done loads of running. Thank you for the crisp review.

Two questions. Please pardon my ignorance

1) What is the Item "Buffer" on the bill. Is it the one used for buffing wax?

2) Why is Interior cleaning charged separate? Isn't it part of paid service?. That one looks like a rip off to me
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
KishoreC,

You have mentioned that you have travelled thru Shiradi and NH-17 in the last couple of years. Can you comment on the ground clearance of Fabia? Spec says 158 mm when compared to 168 mm of Polo.

Thanks in advance.
Fabia's ground clearance was enough to handle Shiradi ghat, that too at the time when the road was in worst condition. On top of that I was extra careful especially with the big craters.

On the same trip I saw big sedans, specially Hondas struggling a lot on that road.

On regular road, ground clearance is enough to cross 99% of the speed breakers, only the nasty 1% (you know which ones I'm talking about) create some problems, where you'll have to cross the hump in an angle and have to be dead slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
KishoreC, sure you have done loads of running. Thank you for the crisp review.

Two questions. Please pardon my ignorance

1) What is the Item "Buffer" on the bill. Is it the one used for buffing wax?

2) Why is Interior cleaning charged separate? Isn't it part of paid service?. That one looks like a rip off to me
Even I don't understand what is this "Buffer" component. Any TBHP gurus please shed some light.

Interior cleaning was never part of the paid service from Skoda. They do exterior cleaning. True, It's a rip off.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd January 2011 at 18:33. Reason: posts merged
KishoreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 15:10   #15
BHPian

Hi Kishore,

That was a Good review with good running. So finally I'm hearing some good words about Skoda from an owner! Most of the time heard horrible After Sales Services stories that keeps me far away from thinking to go for Fabia (yet not sure P/D), but your post is encouraging. Thanks and keep updating.
iSpoke is offline   Reply With Quote