Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th December 2010, 14:24   #1
Default Journey of 12000 KMS on my i20 Sportz

Hi BHPians!

It has been quite a while since I posted anything here. Have been busy, but I have been meaning to write my 10000 KM update ever since I crossed the 10K mark! It is now 12K on my Odo!

hmm...to begin with, my i20 Sportz has been a fantastic car! I cant think of anything seriously bad with it. yes...the ocassional steering rattle, some service goof ups did put my spirits down in some parts of the journey so far...but I must say that I am happy with the whole drive to this minute!

Model: i20 Sportz, Petrol
Color: White
Accessories: Fitted with original fog lamps (Asta Bumper)

Driven so far : 12000 KMS
Mileage in city: 13-14 KMPL (Depending on traffic, weather)
Mileage on highways: 23 KMPL (if I am alone. Yes it is 23 kmpl!)
Mileage on highways: 18-19 KMPL(If the car is fully loaded with passengers)

About the Car

A/C : I use it on and off, I dont like using AC too much though. But I am very impressed with its effectiveness thus far! (contrary to many in this forum!) What I do is - I cool it down to 19 degrees initially for about 3-4 minutes, full blast, then bring it up to about 20-23 degrees and reduce the blow. It has worked really well so far.

Music System: I am not the full blast Dhoom dhoom types. I listen to sober, light music...Kannada bhaavageethe and ghazals combined with old hits being my taste. So I dont have anything to complain about the Music system.

Space: More than adequate - The Legroom, Headroom and the shoulder space. I am particularly pleased with the legroom. (the tallest in my family is 5'10" and I am close to 5'8)

Headlights: I am NOT impressed. It hardly is adequate on highways. Planning to change to 90/100 bulbs in the next service.

Rattle: here and there. The steering column rattle has been "fixed". I am yet to test it. It seems it is still there though. But it is nothing that really annoys me yet.

on a scale of 10...I would rate my i20 Sportz 8 for its features, looks and driveability.

Now the Driving Experience:

It has been a pleasure really! I have driven the car for about 11500Kms myself, with my wife driving it for about 500 Kms. I find it very comfortable and easy. I would have liked a little more power in the second gear, but i am not complaining for I am not exactly the racing type. I usually drive @ 90 KMPH on highways in daylight and stick to 80KMPH during night drive. I only cross/touch 100KMPH when overtaking. I use the 5th gear overdrive quite often. I dont exactly zoom in the city but dont crawl at the same time. 50-60KMPH being my usual speed.

The suspension is a boon and a bane. The chasis never fails to scrape the raw/bad speed breakers...but for that, the suspension is a real boon, what with my prolapsed disk and all that.

The seats give you a wrap around feel. I love the driving position.

The top speed I have touched is 135KMPH. That was a rush of blood and near stupidity. I didnt enjoy it...my heart was racing all the time. But the car took it beautifully and didnt show any sign of tiring! so...I think that is great!

The longest trip so far has been the Bangalore-Sringeri-Kollur-Bangalore trip. The car was fully loaded with 5 adults and my 3 year old son. It returned 17.5 km to a litre. (uphill, downhill, ghats, plain roads all included)

On a scale of 10 I would rate my driving experience @ 9 so far.

Service: The only thing I have to complain about...

It has not been very good so far...but the Blue Hyundai Team is getting there, they are showing a lot of ownership since i wrote a nasty email. Now things are looking up. They even replaced the gear knob which had started peeling away.

I would rate the service 8 on a scale of 10

To sum it up... I am very satisfied with the car. It is easily the best or one of the best looking cars today( I have attached pics). Its style statement is unmistakable. It has the best interiors. Super Mileage so far (correct me if I am wrong)

To sign off... I would say...So far so good!

Attached Thumbnails
Journey of 12000 KMS on my i20 Sportz-img_0073.jpg  

Journey of 12000 KMS on my i20 Sportz-img_0075.jpg  

Journey of 12000 KMS on my i20 Sportz-img_0083.jpg  

Journey of 12000 KMS on my i20 Sportz-img_0092.jpg  

Ravi Krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 18:13   #2
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Journey of 12000 KMS on my i20 Sportz

excellent write up ravi. covered almost all aspects of the car and you are getting very good mileage. The pics are great and the car has good road presence. how does it take ghat roads? and is overtaking on the highway difficult? I mean does it require lot of space?
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 19:49   #3
Default Re: Journey of 12000 KMS on my i20 Sportz

Thanks Goandude,

It takes the ghats/swirls quite well. I used to drive a palio earlier. I can only speak in comparison here...the palio had excellent road grip and I can say my i20 is not too far behind. As for the overtaking...well...I drive only at 90KMPH...that way I only have to overtake those slower than that which is quite easy! I really dont try to over take cars that are going faster than me...so no question of any nerves or anxiety there.

It does take is well actually...if the gears are changes are slick!

Will try and post some more pics of the car

Ravi Krish is offline   Reply With Quote