Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 5th January 2011, 08:40   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update

Hi Folks,

My experience with Team-BHP as a member is one month now, however as a guest it was more than 3 years. Every time when I read ownership report, I would want to post mine however laziness and tight schedule has delayed this report for long time. After using a pre-owned Toyota Corolla for 2 years I fell in love with Toyota brand, simply because they are very practical and reliable in terms of build quality (read – Manufacturing quality and not A.S.S). Post my purchase two of my other friends bought a Toyota Corolla based on my feedback and they are also having a happy moment with the car. Well, you may then why did you sell the car?? My friend who works with Toyota dealership called me one fine day and talk to me about this Camry which one of his customer want to sell as he is not using anymore, the rate which was quoted was very attractive which I could never decline. So I traded my Corolla and bought this Camry.

I bought a pre-owned Toyota Camry about 6 months back with Toyota U-Trust for a sweet deal and this car has done 42k KM at the time of purchase. This is a 2004 model top end MT (W3) model which was owned by a big corporate in Chennai. Car was in good condition at the time of purchase though there were few things which need some attention. Below is the brief note about the vehicle.

Model – 2004
KM done – 42K
Color – Green
Exterior body – Good condition with minor scratches
Interior – Center arm rest lock is broke, AC vents are broke, right OVRM need some service (doesn’t lock in the correct position) and left OVRM has a duplicate mirror (read – Not a convex mirror)
Features – Climate control AC, retractable heated mirrors(left heating function not working due to duplicate mirror), OE Leather seats, Auto wipers, Auto lights, ABS, 4 airbags, Alloy wheels, reverse sensor, remote bonnet lid open, immobilizer, rear fog lamps, power seats for both driver and front passenger, MID, instrument cluster dimmer, 2 12 volts outlet, lumbar support, tilt steering, power antenna. (This is all I can remember)
Tires – They are in good condition, came with Dunlop
OE system – Sony 11 CD changer with 6 speakers
Service history – Car was serviced from the time of purchase at Toyota Dealership

What I like about Camry:-
• Premium feel
• Built tough and built to last
• A reliable partner(Toyota’s reliability)
• Supreme comfort level(both in front as well as in rear)
• Excellent ride quality
• Powerful VVTI engine
• Surprising fuel economy
• Practical features which can be used every day
• Low speed gear box (You can drive in 5th gear at 40 - 50 KM without any fuss)

What I dislike about Camry:-
• Expensive spares
• Steering not that much enthusiastic
• Body roll
• Low GC
• No HID or projector lamps
• Blunt design
• Poor OE audio equipment
• A.S.S.

Experience so far:-
Toyota Camry is a very practical car and you can drive effortlessly within the city. If you are a enthusiastic driver and try to test drive Camry then you would be disappointed, Camry doesn’t has the road manners or driving experience as what you get it in a Mitsubishi or Ford or Any German car. However their USP is reliability, practicality and fuel efficiency. I need to accept that it’s very difficult to drive in a bumper to bumper traffic however in highway it’s a real cruiser. At high speed the vehicle is plunked well to the road and you would not get any scary experience in the highway, albeit body roll will be there and you need to prepare yourself for it. I have made only one long trip in this car and it went well without any hiccups, I was able to cruise at 200 KMPH. I also need to mention that finding a parking spot for Camry is a tough job, you need to have lot of patience in searching the opt location. Car still has some rattles which need to be looked into. Overall I am very happy with the car and it has not let me down in any occasion.

Expenses so far:-
• Removed OE system and replaced with Pioneer single DIN MP3 player(this came out from my sold Corolla, Santro) - 5k including new speakers, wiring, casing for front speakers and labor
• Added a Pioneer sub-woofer with Sony 2 channel AMP(same as above)
• Replaced front speakers with 6” * 9” component speakers (I guess the make was audio dynamics)
• AC Cooling coil went kaput and replaced in aftermarket. Part including labor cost 13k wherein A.S.S. quoted nearly 30K

Things to be looked in to:-
• So far I have driven 6K KM post my ownership, at 10 K a regular service has to be done
• Whenever I press clutch pedal I am getting a hiss sound, I would need to service the clutch assembly (Mechanic said some issue with Clutch bell)
• AC vents are broken and needs replacement (someone from Delhi or one who visits Thailand frequently can help me sourcing this). OE parts costs a bomb and I am not going for it
• Need a duplicate key for my car as it came only with one key
• Left OVRM mirror has to be replaced and someone can help me sourcing this, OE mirror costs 1.5k. Is it worth it??
• Need to put a HID as low beam is not powerful
• A dent in left arch of front wheel which needs a tinkering and a paint job
• Rattle noise
• Additional 4 channel amplifier and may be another sub-woofer in the future.

I want to put a dark tints but my auto accessory guy is against it, he says Camry should be driven like this and not with dark tints. People advise please

So here I am ending my review and will keep updating this thread as and when it needs an update. End of the day, I am happy with my Toyota Camry and would go for another Toyota car any given day. STRICTLY NO SECOND THOUGHTS HERE.

Oops I missed the important thing. GRRR.

Fuel economy:-
City – 9.5 – 10.5 KMPL
Highway – 13 – 14.5 KMPL

Now, why did the thread title say Sweetness of sadness??

Sweetness of owning a Camry
Sadness of missing my Corolla

Sorry for the long post, my first ownership experience here so it became so long. Please bear with me on my English writing skills

P.S. I will post the pictures once I slap a Team-BHP sticker on it, I love the LTD sticker however I slapped it in my Corolla. So now I am in a dilemma in slapping which one. Just thinking whether do I need to buy a set of stickers for one LTD.
camchennai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 08:57   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update

Sweet deal you got there!
To-the-point writeup and I liked it.
BTW, the LHS mirror is a concave, I think. Not sure though.
I was searching for pics and then I read your note. Still, at least a single pic would have been good
14.5 KMPL for a car of this size,
Thread - subscribed!
hdnivara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 00:31   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update

Thanks Hdnivara.

I am getting doubt now as you have pointed out it is concave, let me check with the dealership and update you.

Camry with its VVTI engine delivery very good mileage if driven well, albeit AT gives 7 or 8 only.

273 views and only one reply, did i start a boring thread??
camchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 01:10   #4
BHPian

oh come on dude, post some pics and watch the replies pour in
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 02:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats an honest report. Made a good read. Awaiting pics with the stickers slapped.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 03:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

@camchennai: Did you call the duplicate keymaker in the number I gave you? Please update.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 15:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you dont mind, would be good if you can share the price at what you picked it up. Can serve as guidance for others who are probably looking for the same

I think at 1.5k you should go ahead and replace the mirrors with OE itself.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 15:58   #8
BHPian

Congratulations on your buy. Being a Toyota, you are guaranteed of reliability! Do put up the price if that's OK with you.
Is it in it's first set of tyres? If yes, you'd do well to change them, after all this years, regardless of their condition.
And 1.5K for a mirror sounds cheap compared to the prices of ones for new vehicles!!

Last edited by MalluDude : 8th January 2011 at 15:59.
MalluDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 07:49   #9
BHPian

Folks,

As promised, attaching pictures.

Eagle eyes
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-1eyes-large.jpg
Camry logo
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-2rear-eyes-large.jpg
Rear View
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-3rear-profile-large.jpg
Front View
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-6front-view-large.jpg
Side Profile
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-7side-profile-large.jpg
Front door controls
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-8front-door-controls-large.jpg
Front seats
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-9front-seats-large.jpg
Instrument cluster
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-10instruement-cluster-large.jpg
Power seat controls
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-11power-seats-large.jpg
Steering with MID controls
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-12steering-mid-control-large.jpg
Side Airbag
Name:  13Side airbag Large.jpg
Views: 4204
Size:  67.7 KB
Rear Bench
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-14rear-bench-large.jpg
Rear leg room
Name:  15Rear leg room Large.jpg
Views: 4266
Size:  53.3 KB
Rear bench with armrest
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-16rear-bench-arm-rest-large.jpg
Rear windshield with Team-BHP sticker
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-18rear-wind-shield-tbhp-large.jpg
Power antenna
Name:  19Power antenna Large.jpg
Views: 4191
Size:  58.3 KB
Alloy with Dunlop tire
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-20shoes-large.jpg
Tire life
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-21shoe-quality-large.jpg
Accident prone zone
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-22accident-prone-zone-large.jpg
Manuals
Name:  23Manual Large.jpg
Views: 4028
Size:  100.2 KB
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-24user-manual-large.jpg
Team-BHP sticker
Sweetness of sadness - My Toyota Camry MT Ownership experience - 47K KM update-4rear-side-profile1-large.jpg
Old 10th January 2011, 15:41   #10
BHPian

What is the price you paid for this vehicle?
lalitk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 16:43   #11
BHPian

The car looks really nice...

That's a bad hit on the left front side... did you try removing the dent atleast?
getsriram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 17:50   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your luxo-barge! Cars like the Camry make for the sweetest pre-worshipped deals. Personally, I think your previous gen Camry has a lot more character than the currently sold model. The styling works, even though it's clearly targeted at the American market, with its gigantic swoopy lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
This is a 2004 model top end MT (W3) model which was owned by a big corporate in Chennai. Car was in good condition at the time of purchase though there were few things which need some attention.
42k kms is nothing, keep the vehicle well and it will outlast you

Quote:
Supreme comfort level(both in front as well as in rear)
You can say that again. This is one heck of a refined long distance cruiser.

I know there are some odds & ends that need to be sorted out with your car, but hey, you got it for a fraction of the $$$ of a new Camry. Used cars inevitably require a certain amount of work, yet in the end, they make for tremendous value.

Congrats again. And drive safe.

P.S. If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pick her up for?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 18:05   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pick her up for?
For all of 6 lakhs !!! He mentioned it in his Intro thread.

Just 6 lakhs for a 6 year old Camry which I am guessing would have cost 20L new. The used car deals at times are so sweet that they tempt even folks like me who prefer new cars.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 00:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
For all of 6 lakhs !!! He mentioned it in his Intro thread.

Just 6 lakhs for a 6 year old Camry which I am guessing would have cost 20L new. The used car deals at times are so sweet that they tempt even folks like me who prefer new cars.
He got it right!!! I got this Camry for 6L about 6 months back and I have driven 7500 KM so far, will update this thread on 10K service.

O.T. Usually I get a good deal with U-trust, I bought my Corolla from them for 3.6L (2003 H2 model 83K KM done) and I used it for 20 months. When I sold the car with them I got 3L, at the time of sale it clocked 1.28L KM. I believe this can also be called as a sweet deal

@getsriram - Dent will be removed in coming service, just waiting to get the insurance changed to my name.

Last edited by camchennai : 11th January 2011 at 00:09.
Old 11th January 2011, 12:15   #15
BHPian

That's sweet as well

Is U-turn generally a good place or is it because you have someone there? Sorry . Because one of my friend sold his 3-4 years old swift for 3.3 lacs (close to 45k kms on it), you got a corolla itself at 3L
getsriram is offline   Reply With Quote