Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th January 2012, 20:38   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)

My experience with Mallik has been good overall. They have good technicians and the supervisors are decent and knowledgeable. It does make a lot of sense to get your regular service and oil changes done outside. Cheaper still if you can purchase the Oil yourself.
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 20:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Looks like the second Safari in the 1st pic posted by you is my Safari

I gave my car for similar suspension and brakes work yesterday 23rd Jan. I remember seeing you and your safari with the TBHP sticker on the rear.

Nice Coincidence
Yes. Nice coincidence. I will be coming to the service center tomorrow. May be we can catch up if you can let me know the time you will be visiting the showroom. I will try to come at that time. Please PM me if you are interested to catch up.

By the way, when did you see me? Is it in the morning or in the evening? If it is in the morning, it is my dad who came to see the work being done. If it is in the evening, then you saw me
I saw your ownership thread of safari. You should update the thread as and when you get time. And I would like to hear more experiences from you and so would many BHPians here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
The last pic is of Sedimenter.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 24th January 2012 at 20:47.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 10:29   #33
BHPian

I will be coming at around 1:30 - 2 pm today for picking up my car. If you are around lets catch up. I have PM my contact number to you.
chaxy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 23:05   #34
BHPian

@ Mods: Can you please update the thread name to Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 60,000 kms).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
I will be coming at around 1:30 - 2 pm today for picking up my car. If you are around lets catch up. I have PM my contact number to you.
And I have got a chance to meet fellow BHPIan Chaxy as well. Pic of both of us

It was great meeting you sir.

Coming back to my Safari, I have got the car back and first impression was simply great.

After servicing, the car behaved very very differently. I could feel the engine revving freely. The clutch is much softer while breaking improved tremendously. The new tie rods are doing their duty well and there were no squeaking sounds when the car hit a pot hole. The steering is much lighter and no steering vibration can be felt. The vibrations in gear lever also reduced drastically. Gears are slotting in much smoother.

I will be going on a long drive in Feb 2nd week and I will update the car behavior after the trip.

Major items in the work done:

1. Timing Assembly Changed
2. New Front Brake Pads
3. Alternator Belt
4. Rear Suspension Kit and rear suspension bushes
5. All Oils changed including coolant - Total 7 or 8 oils
6. Oil/Diesel Filter
7. Air Filter
8. New Wiper blades

Total bill: 34.5K INR
This may seem a huge amount, but I think with the amount of work done on my vehicle, this is a reasonable amount.

As per the service center guys, the front suspension bushes will last another 15k Kms. Rear Brake liners have another 15k Kms life left in them. So That should take another 3 to 4 months and I have to save up money so as to get those addressed when time comes. Apart from this, everything is fine with the engine.

Review of Service center (Mallik cars , Tolichowky, Hyderabad): Everything in Mallik cars for me was very professional. The service advisers were very patient to listen to all my problems. Prompt timing. Did not commit to unrealistic times. They said the will be ready by 6 30 and it surprising to see the car ready by 6 30. The exterior cleaning of car was not as good (They missed the tyres and some black soot was still remaining), but not a big problem. I dont want to be picky. Asked them to do the cleaning again and they obliged. However, the interior cleaning was top notch. However I took the car at night and I might have not seen the car in dark properly to assess their cleaning work of the vehicle.

As far as the equipment of garage and mechanics are concerned, they seem to be quite professional. When my car was being worked upon, I got a chance to see the work on my car. It was very good. I thought, since I was there they were being extra careful. So I was looking at other cars being worked upon and they seem to do it professional on other cars as well.
But when I was there, the team-lead (I think it is supervisor) was right near the mechanic of my car and asking him to fix a few bolts here and there. I think he was doing this just because I was there. However, other cars are also being taken care off well.
Note: Most of the praises for Mallik cars may be due to bad experience I had with Tejaswi motors. Finding a tata service center that is exactly opposite to Tejaswi took me by surprise and hence the praise for Mallik cars is even more.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 25th January 2012 at 23:19.
Old 25th January 2012, 23:11   #35
BHPian

@Mods: Sorry for the repeat post. I forgot to attach the pic in my previous post. And the Edit functionality does not have option of attaching a pic. Hence this repeat post

Pic of myself and chaxy.
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_18341.jpg   <div style=
Old 26th January 2012, 00:46   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post

I was particular about a 4x4 Safari with Airbags

The bulky bull bar came with the vehicle. And I do not have a store room at home to remove it and place it. Otherwise, if I can sell it off, that would be the best. For now I am stuck with the bull bar
Since you were very particular in having a Safari with Airbag, the first thing to do is remove the bull bar, as it can prevent the proper activation of the Airbag during a collision.Also the bull bar does not help dissipate the energy during collision, in the way it was meant to be. Though I agree some bull bars look macho safety is paramount
raj84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 00:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj84 View Post
Since you were very particular in having a Safari with Airbag, the first thing to do is remove the bull bar, as it can prevent the proper activation of the Airbag during a collision.Also the bull bar does not help dissipate the energy during collision, in the way it was meant to be. Though I agree some bull bars look macho safety is paramount
Great point. I myself am keen on removing this. I am not a big fan of bull bars myself. My father is a fan though. I have got the bull bar along with the vehicle when I bought. After that I wanted to remove it, but my home is small and there is no place to keep it. Once I move to bigger home, I will remove it. If I find a buyer also, the I will remove it. This reason may sound silly, but this is what it is for me. If I dont find a buyer, I will remove it before my planned sikkim trip in April and keep it in my room. After return, I will put it back again. Bull bar is one of the reasons, I do not cross 80kmph to 90kmph in my highway trips. The other reason is I generally like to cruise at lower speeds rather than rush like mad at higher speeds.
Old 29th January 2012, 15:48   #38
BHPian

I have a question.
The Front suspension bushes seem to have another 15000 kms life left in them. But my tyres hardly have another 10000 kms left. As per service advisor, he said if tyres are changed without the work on front suspension kit, there will be uneven wear and tear of the tyres. So he suggested that I get the tyres changed only after the work on front suspension is done.

I do not think that he is right here as I did not see any uneven wear and tear on my existing front tyres. But I want to confirm with other T-BHPians. Is it preferable to get both the works done at the same time? Or is it OK to first replace the tyres and after another 5 to 10 thosasnd KMs, get the front suspension done?
Old 21st March 2012, 02:33   #39
BHPian

@Mods: Please change the title of the thread from 40000 kms to update at 65000kms.

My Safari has recently done 3 beautiful trips over past 1 month
1. Gokarna
2. Maredumilli and Draksharamam
3. Munnar

It has now crossed 64000kms. Service is due at 65000kms.

Pic of the 64K reading
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_2702.jpg <br /> <b>Edit:</b> On my recent trip to Munnar, I took the Hyd - Bangalore - Salem route. I was cruising constantly at 80kmph with 70% AC on and returned me a stunning <b><u>16.1 kmpl</u></b> on a tankful to tankful method. There was no high revving in this trip and less breaking. Truly amazing considering this is a 2 tonne 4 wheel drive vehicle with 5 people onboard and luggage.<br /> <br /> <br />
Also my last trip has seen a tyre blast in my Safari. I knew that this tyre needed replacement. Hence I moved the tyre from front wheel to the rear wheel so as to reduce load and reduce the risk. Also due to this, I was driving my whole Munnar trip at 70-80kmph. But I did not know that the side wall was so weak that it would blast. Lucky that nothing happened to us and to the vehicle and the rims. <br /> <br />
Pic of the blasted tyre<br /> <a href=Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1376.jpg <br />
However, we continued with our trip without the spare tyre taking the risk. This is not advisable. <br /> <br />
Pics from the recent trip.<br /> <br />
On the move. (This pic is not photoshopped, but it was taken from another car while both cars were on the move)<br /> <a href=Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1410.jpg <br />
Another pic of my beast standing tall.<br /> <a href=Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1568.jpg <br />
After my 65k Service, I will update with the cost break up. As of now, the vehicle is running great. The vehicle is stable at speeds in excess of 120kmph although I am not going at such speeds due to tyres being in bad shape. After rear suspension work during my last service, I see a huge difference in performance and road manners. All the rattles and alignment issues are no longer seen as of now ( Touchwood ). <br /> <br />
I will get a new set of shoes to this vehicle soon before my next journey. I am looking for hard compound tyres as I want the tyres to last long. Suggestions are welcome. I liked the current Bridgestone Duellers (H/Ts) well. They performed well for me. However, I would like to know from experts if I would need to move to A/Ts. How much difference would it be when tackling bad roads on A/Ts as compared to H/Ts.</div>   <div style=

Last edited by himavanth_m : 21st March 2012 at 02:44.
Old 26th April 2012, 03:43   #40
BHPian

The Car has crossed 65000kms
Pic of the car at 65000kms
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_0016.jpg <br />
The car has gone to Mallik Cars again. Total bill was around 4200, out of which 2300 was for engine oil change and oil filter replacement, 500 for car wash, 900 odd for labour. In addition to this, there was a bulb replacement and other minor things, adding upto 4200. <br /> <br />
I wanted to get the front suspension work done as there is a lot of vibration and play in the suspension, but I had some urgent trip planned this weekend. So will get it done after my return.<br /> <br />
I am expecting the following work done after my trip to Valparai tomorrow.<br />
Front Suspension - About 20,000 Rs.<br />
Brake liners for rear Drum Brakes - About 5000 Rs.<br />
3 New Bridgestone Duellers: 7500*3 = 22500 Rs.<br />
Overall hit on my pocket will be around 50,000 in the next month for maintaining this beast. But it should be geared up for the next 50 to 60 thousand kms hopefully.<br /> <br />
@Mods: Could you please change the title to update at 65000kms?</div>   <div style=
Old 26th April 2012, 07:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
The Car has crossed 65000kms
Pic of the car at 65000kms
Attachment 920357

I wanted to get the front suspension work done as there is a lot of vibration and play in the suspension, but I had some urgent trip planned this weekend. So will get it done after my return.

I am expecting the following work done after my trip to Valparai tomorrow.
Front Suspension - About 20,000 Rs.
Brake liners for rear Drum Brakes - About 5000 Rs.
3 New Bridgestone Duellers: 7500*3 = 22500 Rs.
Overall hit on my pocket will be around 50,000 in the next month for maintaining this beast. But it should be geared up for the next 50 to 60 thousand kms hopefully.

@Mods: Could you please change the title to update at 65000kms?
Congratulations on achieving the milestone !!

Do you have any excel with the amounts spent at each service ?

Isn't the front suspension covered under warranty ?

I had opted for 4yrs extended warranty on my swift and the suspension is covered till 80,000 kms.

Did you not opt for extended warranty or suspension it not covered ?

Last edited by F150 : 26th April 2012 at 07:24.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 10:17   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Congratulations on achieving the milestone !!

Do you have any excel with the amounts spent at each service ?
Isn't the front suspension covered under warranty ?
I had opted for 4yrs extended warranty on my swift and the suspension is covered till 80,000 kms.
Did you not opt for extended warranty or suspension it not covered ?
Firstly thanks.
The suspension is not covered under extended warranty. Only engine and transmission are covered under extended warranty.
Moreover, it was not a manufacturing issue. It was just a wear and tear problem, nothing else.

I do not have an excel file that has all the details, but below is the summary cost and services done:

First Servce at 2000kms - Oil Change, Oil FIlter change, Washing, General checkups ~2500Rs
Second Service - 10,000kms - Oil Change to synthetic oil, Oil Filter Change, Diesel Filter change and misc~ 15000Rs
3rd service 25000kms - Oil Change, Air Filter replacement, Diesl and oil filters. Again about 15000 Rs.

From here on, I owned the vehicle as I bought it second hand.
28000kms : Engine oil top up and washing ~ 900 Rs
38000kms : This was a major service. 4wd hubs changed (under warranty), Tie Rods changed, Synthetic Engine oil, washing, general check up - Overall cost is 19000Rs
40000kms: At 38000kms, showroom guys acknowledged that turbo charger had problem. So went back to TASS to get it replaced under warranty at 40,000kms.
45000kms: Starter motor replacement (under extd. warranty), alternator belt replacement, Alternator pulleys replacement. ~3000Rs.
57000Kms: I was not happy with synthetic oil and I felt service interval is too long. So I moved back mineral Oil, Tie Rods again replaced, Rear Suspension Work Done, Front Disk Brakes replaced, Timing belt assembly replacement (14000Rs), alternator belt replacement
. Overall cost ~ 44,000Rs, but after discounts and all, I got the bill of 34,500
65000kms ~ Oil Change ( As I moved back to mineral oil), Oil Filter replacement. Rear light replacement, Washing, General Check up ~4300

total cost (including punctures and other misc ) = 95,000Rs
Total Kms Travelled = 65000kms
Cost per km: 1.46 Rs per Km (Had I used mineral oil, this would have been much cheaper to own)

Total Cost of ownership for me:
Total cost incurred : 65000 Rs
Total Kms Travelled = 40000 Kms ( I owned the vehicle after 60000kms)
Cost per Km: 1.6 Rs Per Km.

Expected cost of ownership after replacements front suspension, rear brake liners, tyre changes (estimated cost - 50000Rs) at 70,000kms
Total Cost : 65000 + 50000 Rs = 1,15,000
Total Kms Travelled (at 70,000kms) = 45000
Total cost per km: 2.6 Rs Per Km.
However, this number will keep going down as there will be not be any scheduled major service upto another 30,000kms.