Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 14:45   #196
BHPian

Re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Fortunately, I don't have any engine noise problem. My ECM was changed in May due to a strange problem, which is discussed in the previous pages.

If 3 of you are having the same problem, then this is not a stray problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Same problem with mine. The difference being that the noise is only present between 30 and 50 km /hr and disappears after that. Also, this happens only under medium acceleration, the noise isnt present if feathering the accelerator or in kickdown.
I had complained to Safdarjang Hyundai during my 3rd free service about this, but as usual, the complaints were not heeded and I need to make a personal visit.
Just thought of updating the members in the forum - day before, I got a call from Hyundai addressing my specific problem with respect to engine noise/knocking and took it to the service station.
There is a new software update for the ECM issued which changes thefuel mappings and this has 100% addressed my problem.

Also the engine seems to have gotten smoother as well, though it might be my imagination at work too !

Fellow i10 owners should check with A** if their cars require the software update as well, or if it is only a particular lot which was affected.

Last but not least, Hyundai service has recently become quite responsive and kudos to the AGM /Service Advisors who have been following up quite diligently - a far cry from 6 months back.
JishD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 12:37   #197
BHPian

Hi Jish

Thanks for the pointer. I have a similar issue and was doubtful about the effectiveness of a software upgrade - my Service Manager recommended me this option.

Just few questions -

- How many days did they take to do this for you? Last time I heard from the Service Manager, they take it to Chennai for this.

- Has it affected your fuel economy? I get a decent figure of 11-12 with light foot in city conditions. My Service Manager wondered whether the upgrade would affect the fuel economy. Can you please share your observations so far?

- How has the overall driving experience changed? Any noticeable difference in the power delivery/overall drive?

Thanks
Jay

Quote:
Just thought of updating the members in the forum - day before, I got a call from Hyundai addressing my specific problem with respect to engine noise/knocking and took it to the service station.
There is a new software update for the ECM issued which changes thefuel mappings and this has 100% addressed my problem.

Also the engine seems to have gotten smoother as well, though it might be my imagination at work too !

Fellow i10 owners should check with A** if their cars require the software update as well, or if it is only a particular lot which was affected.

Last but not least, Hyundai service has recently become quite responsive and kudos to the AGM /Service Advisors who have been following up quite diligently - a far cry from 6 months back.
Old 24th January 2012, 13:03   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post
- How many days did they take to do this for you? Last time I heard from the Service Manager, they take it to Chennai for this.

- Has it affected your fuel economy? I get a decent figure of 11-12 with light foot in city conditions. My Service Manager wondered whether the upgrade would affect the fuel economy. Can you please share your observations so far?

- How has the overall driving experience changed? Any noticeable difference in the power delivery/overall drive?
Chennai for a SW upgrade ? It takes a few hours and can be done at any Hyundai A**.

In terms of the overall driving experience, I feel the the automatic gearshifts are less discernible and more willing to move up or down a cog based on throttle input translating into a more responsive drive.

Its still too early to understand what impact it has had on FE, but my last tankfull has given me a figure of 9.5, which is roughly the same as what I have been getting without AC in Delhi winters.
Old 24th January 2012, 13:52   #199
BHPian

True! But maybe that shows how equipped some dealerships are :-) I will anyway write to Hyundai (that is what he asked me to do - write to them and they will ask the dealer to do an upgrade) and take next steps.

Or does that route require so much formalities - just take it to the dealer and ask them to do an upgrade. I think I must look for another dealer if these guys cannot do it. Just to make sure the process isnt as complicated as I am advised. Writing to Hyundai, waiting for a response etc. - should I wait for all that?

Thanks a ton!
Quote:
Chennai for a SW upgrade ? It takes a few hours and can be done at any Hyundai A**.
Old 24th January 2012, 14:25   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Or does that route require so much formalities - just take it to the dealer and ask them to do an upgrade. I think I must look for another dealer if these guys cannot do it. Just to make sure the process isnt as complicated as I am advised. Writing to Hyundai, waiting for a response etc. - should I wait for all that?

Thanks a ton!
In my opinion, you should just find a different dealership who is aware of this upgrade. This upgrade is very new and not all dealers are possibly informed. Writing to Hyundai will be a longer route but will help you to zero in on the right dealer with minimal effort on your behalf.
Old 24th January 2012, 14:29   #201
BHPian

Thanks! I will check with other dealers too.

Meanwhile, could you share with me the e-mail address of HMIL to which you sent your complaint?

Quote:
In my opinion, you should just find a different dealership who is aware of this upgrade. This upgrade is very new and not all dealers are possibly informed. Writing to Hyundai will be a longer route but will help you to zero in on the right dealer with minimal effort on your behalf.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:41   #202
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi! Samurai

Picked up the same model, same colour i10 sportz (or rather my wife did for herself). Liked your alloys too but wifee does not wish to change that. Will get the OE fogs fitted soon already have the keyless entry fitted.

Also faced an issue in the first major drive when the engine would vibrate and stall immediately when put into D or even if left to idle in P for more than 30 sec.

The Airfilter was cleaned up on the road itself and fitted back and the problem has not recurred in the next 600 kms. Still am due to the first Service in the coming month.

There are 3 i10 AT in a row with both my neighbour (wives) going for them.

It is shame that more manufacturers don't offer AT in this segment.
Old 25th January 2012, 16:44   #203
BHPian

Got the ECM upgrade done. A pain in itself - something they promised would be completed in half an hour took around 2 hours. The technician selected the wrong version and applied it! Knocking got worse and it required their GM (!!!) to realize the mistake. After applying the new fix, there was still little knocking. They dug deep into the e-mail sent by the Hyundai Service Division and found a very important note (!). Change the spark plug if the knocking prevails even after the ECM upgrade. Changed the plug and butter smooth.

All is well......but somewhere I feel I have slightly lost the punch. The engine is now very smooth and composed, but I find it more than willing to shift to the lower gears which in some situations is most unwanted. I already have tuned myself to be light footed on the i10; maybe the ECM upgrade requires me to apply a "patch" on my driving style as well!

The technician happened to leave the print out of the e-mail in my car. Thats a funny thing. The technician who did it first doesn't do it right; the engine knocks effortlessly. GM walks in - says I do it when these guys cannot. Heads to the cabin, takes a print out and I am like . Imagine doing a software upgrade looking at a print-out and that too being a non-techie. I assumed and I was wrong. He was right - he checked the basic things and found a wrong update being applied. The print-out was an e-mail from Hyundai where its clearly written "this fix improves the knocking of the engine between 30-50kmph". To be applied on vehicles of these....these.....these.....models (batches). What surprised me was this - to be done only based on customer complaints. When they know for a fact that there is an issue, why dont they apply it during a regular service or let the customers know? Why do they then waste my time collecting my phone number and e-mail address. Well, satisfaction is guaranteed - Whose?

I had another customer waiting alongside - someone who had a challenge with his left leg. He has driven his i10 for about 20k kms and has been yelling about this knocking in all his visits to the service station. Today, they asked him to come and made him wait from 9AM to 2PM (poor man was standing outside wanting to meet whoever he can to solve this issue). At 2, he left the car and went away. I make some noise and they take a print out and Voila......

I look inside the shop floor and there is a BIG BOARD that says "Customer is the most important person in our premises. We are not doing him a favor by giving him service, he is giving us a favor ............."I dont know if anyone understands the meaning of those words.

Dont treat customers like Gods, at least stop treating them like Dogs.....

Note From Team BHP Support: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies. Also, please refrain from...typing...like...this...

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2012 at 23:47.
convivial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 17:03   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The technician happened to leave the print out of the e-mail in my car. Thats a funny thing. The technician who did it first doesn't do it right; the engine knocks effortlessly. GM walks in - says I do it when these guys cannot. Heads to the cabin, takes a print out and I am like . Imagine doing a software upgrade looking at a print-out and that too being a non-techie.
Is he GM for service? Then he must a very senior service engineer. Non-technical guys don't become GM for service.

Quote:
I assumed and I was wrong. He was right - he checked the basic things and found a wrong update being applied. The print-out was an e-mail from Hyundai where its clearly written "this fix improves the knocking of the engine between 30-50kmph". To be applied on vehicles of these....these.....these.....models (batches). What surprised me was this - to be done only based on customer complaints. When they know for a fact that there is an issue, why dont they apply it during a regular service or let the customers know?
If you still have the email, can you please scan the contents and post it here. Leave out the email addresses though. If our i10 ATs are from the affected batch, we can take it up with Hyundai.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 23:49   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Got the ECM upgrade done. A pain in itself - something they promised would be completed in half an hour took around 2 hours. The technician selected the wrong version and applied it!
Guys, I made a complaint in the Hyundai website the day before. Got a call from Modi Hyundai today.

The chap says the ECM would be sent to Chennai and it would take about a week!! Is this right?! Shall I again escalate to Hyundai?
Old 26th January 2012, 11:17   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Guys, I made a complaint in the Hyundai website the day before. Got a call from Modi Hyundai today.

The chap says the ECM would be sent to Chennai and it would take about a week!! Is this right?! Shall I again escalate to Hyundai?
Hi Deepak,

Please check your inbox - Modi Hyundai is not aware how to flash the ECU, this can be done at any dealership. Re-escalate to Hyundai helpline and I'm sure you'll get results just like Convivial has. (who was incidentally also told the same story initially )
Old 26th January 2012, 20:59   #207
BHPian

Quote:

The technician happened to leave the print out of the e-mail in my car. The print-out was an e-mail from Hyundai where its clearly written "this fix improves the knocking of the engine between 30-50kmph". To be applied on vehicles of these....these.....these.....models (batches).
Could you share the batch numbers? I would like to know whether my i10 requires the update.
Old 26th January 2012, 21:05   #208
BHPian

Am I missing some thing here or have I seen the Asta ?

Dosnt the sportz AT come with steering mounted controls ?
Old 27th January 2012, 10:32   #209
BHPian

Hi haithereitsme

You must have seen the Asta. I don't think Sportz comes with Steering mounted controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
Am I missing some thing here or have I seen the Asta ?

Dosnt the sportz AT come with steering mounted controls ?
Hi Deep Blue

Please give me a day. I have the print out at home. Will provide all information here in a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Could you share the batch numbers? I would like to know whether my i10 requires the update.
Hi D_himan

I knew that if they have a GSCan, all they need to do was to download the software patch and apply it. Last day they had the Scan and they did precisely that. I then asked them why they earlier said they had to send it to Chennai for an upgrade. They replied that their GScan had some issues and they were unable to download and apply the software patch. That's why they shipped the ECMs to the plant in Chennai. Please check with another service provider specifically mentioning that you want an ECM Upgrade to eliminate knocking between 30-50 kmph (precisely the words Hyundai used in their Tech Service Bulletin) and ask them if they can do it at their dealership.

Even I have the e-mail to Hyundai in my Drafts. Don't have to contact Hyundai; it is a known issue and dealers are notified to rectify it with an upgrade. From my personal experience, some of the dealerships don't update themselves with the Service Bulletins that Hyundai releases periodically. I maintain contact with a few Service personnel who regularly go for trainings in Chennai and get to know of these lesser-known glitches in the Hyundai models.

Lucky are those who interact with Service Advisors and Managers who are "passionate" about what they do! They would keep themselves updated of all these.

Any help, please PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

Hi Samurai

Yeah, he is a GM for Service.

I will post the contents in a day; it will be of help to others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is he GM for service? Then he must a very senior service engineer. Non-technical guys don't become GM for service.

If you still have the email, can you please scan the contents and post it here. Leave out the email addresses though. If our i10 ATs are from the affected batch, we can take it up with Hyundai.
Old 27th January 2012, 20:54   #210
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Deep Blue

Please give me a day. I have the print out at home. Will provide all information here in a day.

No hurry at all. Please do so at leisure. Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks