Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 15th November 2013, 00:22   #256
BHPian

My i10 AT has started giving incredible mileage of 11.5 -12.5 in city drives suddenly ! At first I thought I was dreaming but this is over 5 tankfuls. It could be due to less AC usage but the engine characteristics too seem to have changed after my last service. ECU secret reflash ? Earlier FE was at a steady 9-9.5.
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 07:37   #257
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
My i10 AT has started giving incredible mileage of 11.5 -12.5 in city drives suddenly ! At first I thought I was dreaming but this is over 5 tankfuls. It could be due to less AC usage but the engine characteristics too seem to have changed after my last service. ECU secret reflash ? Earlier FE was at a steady 9-9.5.
- Have you started driving on open stretches in the city?
- Have you changed your timings to beat traffic ?

Both the above items contributed in a big way for me. The FE went up from 8-10 to easily 11-13 range.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 08:39   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Both the above items contributed in a big way for me. The FE went up from 8-10 to easily 11-13 range.
Well - driving in highways shoots up the i10's FE in a big way. I once got 18-19 kmpl driving on NH2 a few years back. Other than that - over the past 4 years, my average FE has been 12.5 kmpl.
I drive on a 'so called' highway (NH 34) every day, and when this stretch was in ruins (you had to see it to believe it) - I avoided the road altogether and took smaller winding village roads. The FE tanked to somewhere around 10.
Again - when they repaired this 10 km stretch to motorable standards, I have started taking the original route, and even a bumpy undivided highway contributes to the FE again shooting up to 12-13.

Last edited by blackasta : 15th November 2013 at 08:43.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 14:35   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I am driving exactly the same route at exactly the same time everyday - attribute that to my mundane corporate existence. So both the above cannot be contributing factors to the increase in FE. Also, I dont understand how the engine characteristics have changed ....kickdown now produces a much more linear surge.
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 12:51   #260
Team-BHP Support

Trident Hyundai service lady calls me today and tells me my car is due for service. She says my i10 was last serviced in May. By now I knew it was a scam. I told her if that was the case why is my pollution certificate is valid until March. She had called in December too with the same reason. But my car was last serviced on Sept 10th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
I am driving exactly the same route at exactly the same time everyday - attribute that to my mundane corporate existence. So both the above cannot be contributing factors to the increase in FE. Also, I dont understand how the engine characteristics have changed ....kickdown now produces a much more linear surge.
I had heard this story, probably 20 years back in US.

A fellow bought his first new car and kept talking about it all the time to his colleagues. After a while all of them were sick of it. One day they had a brilliant idea. Everyday, they started adding 2 gallons of gas into the tank when he is busy at work. This was at a town where nobody used to lock their cars. Such places exists, believe me.

He started literally glowing everyday at work about the amazing improvement in his FE. Some of them knew the real reason, but they smiled and kept quiet. They let him get used to the new FE for a month, and then stopped the filling at work. He stopped talking about his car.

But the story continues, they started removing 2 gallons everyday... I forget the rest of the story, it was a long time back.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 11:05   #261
BHPian

Anyone face issues of jerking in the 2 mode or the 2nd band on the i10 Auto? I have faced this twice in the last week randomly, once on open road, and once on a slope. Unable to reproduce the issue, ECU scan shows no thing amiss. Both in the day time when the car is "hot" in terms of having been used for 15 mins+.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 12:24   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Anyone face issues of jerking in the 2 mode or the 2nd band on the i10 Auto? I have faced this twice in the last week randomly, once on open road, and once on a slope. Unable to reproduce the issue, ECU scan shows no thing amiss. Both in the day time when the car is "hot" in terms of having been used for 15 mins+.
May I know why were you driving in 2 mode for 15 mins? That mode restricts the gearbox to 1st and 2nd gears only and IMO should be used on slopes, slush or snow.

edit: I see that you mentioned slope, but why drive using 2 on open roads?

Last edited by blackasta : 27th October 2014 at 12:25.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 21:18   #263
Team-BHP Support

Remember this dent from 2013, I didn't all this time. Meanwhile, the i10 had picked up many smaller scrapes at the corner thanks to driving in Bangalore.

Last week I had to drive the i10 to Manipal because the Vitara was already in Manipal and I had to take the kids along. So i10 is in Manipal after nearly 5 years. It also completed 5 years this month, the odometer is at 22K.

Since i10 was not needed everyday in Manipal (Vitara takes over), we decided to give it for paid service as well as complete dent repair. They did a wonderful job I think.

Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT-dsc_0001.jpg

Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT-dsc_0002.jpg

Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT-dsc_0003.jpg

Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT-dsc_0004.jpg

And... this is the first time my i10 service bill is lower than Grand Vitara service bill.

Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT-dsc_0005_9.jpg
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 19:02   #264
Team-BHP Support

Unhappy Re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Merely 5 days after fixing 5 year collection of dents, this happens today.

Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT-dsc_0012.jpg

The driver started claiming he was going straight and I rammed into him, as if I am blind. But he was bit stunned when I showed him my dash cam and told him it is all on video.

The tempo was sitting on my fender, and the couple of boys with him had to push the vehicle up for me to reverse out.

In the video I have edited couple minutes right after the accident because I was screaming and cursing during that. The video clearly shows I was stationary when it happened.

They were 3 young guys, and I was with my 9 old kid. I stopped at the next signal and got a traffic cop involved. The cop checked the DL/Insurance of the tempo, and it was all in order. When cop started wondering who could be at fault, I merely pointed at my dash cam lens and said I have video evidence of the accident. The moment he saw that, he told I have the choice of either getting the money from the other driver or press charges at the J.B nagar police station.

I took photo of his DL, insurance, vehicle, phone number, etc. Then I drove away telling the driver he will hear from me.

Later when I looked at his DL, I realised he is only 20 year old and had gotten his license just 4 months ago. He is just an inexperienced kid, guess I won't pursue him for repair bill or press charges.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd February 2016 at 19:04.
Old 23rd February 2016, 19:27   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

<snip>

Later when I looked at his DL, I realised he is only 20 year old and had gotten his license just 4 months ago. He is just an inexperienced kid, guess I won't pursue him for repair bill or press charges.
Sorry about the unfortunate incident - especially as it is due to no fault of yours.
I faced something similar couple of years back with a dent in the exact same place.
May I suggest a hack job repair for that dent?
Take out the right side headlamp assembly, and press the metal from inside to pop it out.
The scratches shall remain though.

Also, if not an FIR, put in a GD at the nearby PS.
blackasta is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 14:24   #266
BHPian

Ouch, It pains when this happens just when you have fixed it. Ask your FNG to see what they can do to make it less sore to your eyes.

We have i10 Auto in same colour which is now a little over 6 years old. Its a wonderful little small car and has cost peanuts to upkeep over the years. Only major part failure I have had is the radiator fan failed on me last month, easily replaced. Other than that its nothing besides the routine stuff. I think even after 6 years I would be paying less than 10K annually for the services.

I have not had the jerks as mentioned earlier in this thread nor do I think my service centre did any form of ECU reset. While my Mumbai city mileage sucks it does manage 15 + KMPL when doing its occasional Mumbai - Pune runs.
manishkapadia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 11:53   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Sorry to hear about this incident. I had subscribed to your thread since I own a Hyundai AT.

About this incident not being reported, my opinion is that by letting him go, you have essentially given out the message that he could get away with an incident like this. People lose fear of law and continue to be careless. I'd have taken him straight to the police station and filed a charge and have HIS third party insurance pay the bill for the damages. Why did't you opt for that? After tall that is why third party insurance is mandatory. For his mistake, a record in the police books should be enough to deter him. With such a strong evidence, I feel you should have actioned it regardless.
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 13:52   #268
Team-BHP Support

My i10's media player is having a weird problem since last few months. It can't remember which song it was playing from the USB before I switched off the car. As a result I am forced to listen to Adele every time I turn on the car, or stick to FM. Obviously, some non-volatile memory which kept track of it, is not working anymore.

Today I left the car for service at Trident Hyundai (Kalyan Nagar) for paid service. I mentioned the above problem as the only issue with the car.

He: No Sir, that is the normal behavior. It always starts from the first song every time.
Me: What? Are you saying I was imagining things all these years and now I am seeing the normal working?
He: Ok Sir, I will check it then.

Let's see what they will do today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
People lose fear of law and continue to be careless. I'd have taken him straight to the police station and filed a charge and have HIS third party insurance pay the bill for the damages.
For that to happen, both cars have to be left at the police station for few days until insurance surveyor does his job. I can't afford that. Besides, he was a kid and I had already scared the hell out of him with severe tongue lashing. The accident happened because of his inexperience, and not because of any rash driving.