Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2011, 15:12   #46
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 33
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Hi Samuraj

How do you rate the headlight? I have i10 Asta( Kappa 1.2 ) bought in 2009. Headlight is very weak, gives very poor night visibility.

Krish
krish-iitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 15:33   #47
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,460 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
You are kidding right
The sports is not a 'mode' in i10 but just a variant - with extra features (like ICE, rear seat headrests etc).
(compared to other variants) there is nothing more 'sporty' about it in true sense, apart from the variant tag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What sportz mode? It is an AT car, there is no quick acceleration. I always accelerate gradually keeping the revvs low all the time.
.
Whats wrong with you guys.

There is a button on the shifter lever (Overdrive switch maybe), not the regular shifter button. Press that, and the car is ready for a spirited drive

Surprising you guys have not noticed.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT-auto-box-query.jpg  


Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 12th February 2011 at 15:37.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 16:39   #48
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,384
Thanked: 14,314 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Whats wrong with you guys.

There is a button on the shifter lever (Overdrive switch maybe), not the regular shifter button. Press that, and the car is ready for a spirited drive

Surprising you guys have not noticed.
That's the over-drive button. Looks like you haven't understood that button. When it is on, it makes the i10 a 4-speed automatic car. When you are in higher speeds, it will let the drive shaft turn faster than the engine rpm. Very useful in highway drives. It is like the 5th gear on a manual i10. If you turn it off, the i10 becomes a 3-speed automatic car.

Switching off O/D is useful while climbing a hill or descending hill where overdrive is not required. It gives engine braking and better control over the speed. But it won't make the i10 accelerate faster. If you floor the pedal, the transmission will down shift and use lower gear. Therefore, all the sudden accelerations for sporty driving are provided by lower gears and. Switching overdrive on or off doesn't have any effect on sudden acceleration. By switching it off, you are merely limiting the AT to just 3 lower gears.

The O/D is by default on. If you turn it off, it will get activated again when you restart the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish-iitm View Post
How do you rate the headlight? I have i10 Asta( Kappa 1.2 ) bought in 2009. Headlight is very weak, gives very poor night visibility.
Well, I found it adequate if not excellent as in my GV.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 17:52   #49
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The i10 keeps surprising us with features. For the record we haven't bothered to read the manual yet.
  • If I stop and open the doors when the engine is running, the hazard lights come on by itself.
  • The hazard lights come on by itself when I switch to reverse gear.
  • If any of the doors are not closely properly when I try to lock, the alarm goes off for a brief moment.
I think you added remote lock/keyless entry system as an accessory. The hazards coming on in reverse and when you open the door is a feature of the keyless entry system and not a feature in the i10. Same for when the door is not properly closed. It's the keyless entry feature.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 20:35   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 176
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Congratulations Samurai on your newest acquisition. Nice report and very nice pictures. Someone in our office also has bought the same car very recently, and I always keep looking at it admiringly in the parking area.

On the issue of the overdrive button, I like to share this: I have very limited experience with AT. Out of the 11 cars I have bought since 1983, the only AT was the Nissan Sentra GXE bought in the US new in 1992. That car also had this O/D button that could be used on the fly (as far as I can remember). I always thought the O/D option button is a standard feature on all reasonable implementation of AT cars. Is it not?
asitkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 21:14   #51
BHPian
 
Skyline GT-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 594
Thanked: 202 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Samurai,

The alloy/tyre combination is spot on for the blushing red i10.

I would have preferred Michelin over B'Stone personally. Any specific reasons to go with B'Stone?
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 22:37   #52
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,384
Thanked: 14,314 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I think you added remote lock/keyless entry system as an accessory. The hazards coming on in reverse and when you open the door is a feature of the keyless entry system and not a feature in the i10. Same for when the door is not properly closed. It's the keyless entry feature.
They gave remote keyless entry for free. BTW, Asta has built-in remote keyless, does it behave differently? What I have is also Hyundai brand, not a third party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
On the issue of the overdrive button, I like to share this: I have very limited experience with AT. Out of the 11 cars I have bought since 1983, the only AT was the Nissan Sentra GXE bought in the US new in 1992. That car also had this O/D button that could be used on the fly (as far as I can remember). I always thought the O/D option button is a standard feature on all reasonable implementation of AT cars. Is it not?
Hmm, no. Among my previous AT cars, the Santro AT had it, the Acura 3.2TL didn't since it was a 5-speed tiptronic AT. If I go even earlier, Chevy Malibu, Mercury Sable and Toyota Corolla were all 4-speed ATs, and I don't recall O/D button in them. It has been a while, I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I would have preferred Michelin over B'Stone personally. Any specific reasons to go with B'Stone?
I have Michelin on GV and had it even on Santro. The sidewall is not that strong. This time wanted a tyre with stronger sidewall.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 23:28   #53
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They gave remote keyless entry for free. BTW, Asta has built-in remote keyless, does it behave differently? What I have is also Hyundai brand, not a third party.
The Asta has that fancy flip type key with the remote integrated. Thats OEM stuff. I don't think it has all those features you mentioned. Mpower can confirm this though.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 23:50   #54
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,629
Thanked: 10,861 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Well, congratulations once again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I ordered it as part of accessories, costs some 3K.
Adds to the glamour definitely, though I wonder how much fog there might be in the BLR-Manipal region.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
  • If I stop and open the doors when the engine is running, the hazard lights come on by itself.
  • The hazard lights come on by itself when I switch to reverse gear.
  • If any of the doors are not closely properly when I try to lock, the alarm goes off for a brief moment.
I was about to respond the same as vid6639, then I noticed the post below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I think you added remote lock/keyless entry system as an accessory. The hazards coming on in reverse and when you open the door is a feature of the keyless entry system and not a feature in the i10. Same for when the door is not properly closed. It's the keyless entry feature.
Indeed, those are functions of the remote keyless entry unit, not features installed by Hyundai.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 00:07   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,985
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Congrats Samurai! Grrreat car you got there! Very pricey though for a petrol hatch but then what choice do you have, other than A-Star that is?

Samurai, since you are an AT veteran, I have a question for you. We all know how the auto box upshifts optimally without over-revving the engine. Unlike in manual car where many learners and boy-racers often shift gears at redlines, consuming more fuel. Now how is an AT car less fuel efficient that MT car? I am sick and tired of hearing this everywhere that autos are not fuel-efficient. I am sure it is a myth. Right?
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 01:02   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,777
Thanked: 959 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I am sick and tired of hearing this everywhere that autos are not fuel-efficient. I am sure it is a myth. Right?
Quite a lot of power generated by the engine is lost at the torque converter. Also, sometimes an auto box downshifts where there is no need. 2 main reasons for lesser FE. But new age autoboxes with clutch lockup, and dry/dual clutch autoboxes often are more efficient than their stick shift siblings.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 07:02   #57
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks guys.

It only vibrates at low frequency sound, can't be loose screws. Besides, the door wasn't opened for anything.
Hmm so you need to adjust bass settings

I am sure the driver side door was opened to fit the Keyless Central locking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The i10 keeps surprising us with features. For the record we haven't bothered to read the manual yet.
  • If I stop and open the doors when the engine is running, the hazard lights come on by itself.
  • The hazard lights come on by itself when I switch to reverse gear.
  • If any of the doors are not closely properly when I try to lock, the alarm goes off for a brief moment.
As other have mentioned, this is because of the Keyless entry system, I had all these features when I added auto cop to my Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They gave remote keyless entry for free. BTW, Asta has built-in remote keyless, does it behave differently? What I have is also Hyundai brand, not a third party.
Well the System is usually by the OEM makers like AutoCop, they just redesign/label the key differently for different Manufacturers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I forgot to mention the AC performance. I kept the cooling at max, but the fan at just 1. It kept me totally cool whole time through the sunny day, I have no sunfilm either. Once the sun set, it became too cold. I had to bump up the temp setting almost close to the beginning of the heat setting. So the AC performance is just outstanding.
How would you compare it against the Santro's A/c?

Also how hot does it get in your area? Dont get me wrong but A/c is something where Hyundai's always scored less than the Maruti's.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th February 2011 at 07:04.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 07:59   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
How would you compare it against the Santro's A/c?

Also how hot does it get in your area? Dont get me wrong but A/c is something where Hyundai's always scored less than the Maruti's.
Infact AC has always been the strong point of Hyundai.

In chennai, temperatures touch 44 deg C inside the car and the AC is pretty effective in tackling that!

IMO, MUL and TATA are the ones which have a poor AC in their cars!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 09:16   #59
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,384
Thanked: 14,314 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Adds to the glamour definitely, though I wonder how much fog there might be in the BLR-Manipal region.
You had to ask? The following travelogue was shot 50kms from my house.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...tml#post926030

In fact, I drove through the same section to arrive at Bangalore. Hmm, that tree in the hairpin is gone.



Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT-p2090537.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Samurai, since you are an AT veteran, I have a question for you. We all know how the auto box upshifts optimally without over-revving the engine. Unlike in manual car where many learners and boy-racers often shift gears at redlines, consuming more fuel. Now how is an AT car less fuel efficient that MT car?
Modern ATs are far more efficient than earlier ATs. Also, in highway runs they can almost match the MT. One has to drive correctly to get good FE from AT. I have gotten 15.5kmpl for the Santro AT in highway drives. The i10 may exceed that once the engine is run-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Hmm so you need to adjust bass settings

I am sure the driver side door was opened to fit the Keyless Central locking
Hmm, you are right. Let me see how to change the bass settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
How would you compare it against the Santro's A/c? Also how hot does it get in your area? Dont get me wrong but A/c is something where Hyundai's always scored less than the Maruti's.
The coastal area gets really hot. The i10 AC is much better than Santro AC. In fact, it reminded me of Baleno AC, which was legendary.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 17:02   #60
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,629
Thanked: 10,861 Times
Default re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You had to ask? The following travelogue was shot 50kms from my house.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...tml#post926030 (Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats)
Hmm, yes, and thanks to you I've been on that road too. But then, we could always start a new thread to argue about fog being worse in whose backyard, mine or yours!

Name:  fog1.jpg
Views: 2064
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  fog2.jpg
Views: 2098
Size:  91.5 KB
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai i10 AT Sportz - Hyundai Stock / Brand Value in the Eyes of a customer ACM Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 16 18th November 2012 13:53
Finally finally finally finally... s4ch Introduce yourself 3 29th March 2012 19:44
i10 Magna (1.2 Kappa) Vs i10 Sportz (1.2 Kappa) MutantX Hatchbacks 52 12th September 2010 00:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks