Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 23rd October 2012, 09:36   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Agree it looks beautiful but i do not agree on replaced SGP parts lasting as long as the original. I replaced suspensions and on 1 year there is kat kat sound coming. Seems like lower arms have developed some play and they do not come in singles (only pairs) so that would set me back by 10K+ minimum and no guarantee if that will last more than a year.
I agree. I have changed SGP arms twice and felt that lower arms are the Achilles heel on the Baleno. But I doubt that if it is a design flaw, when they carried over the same lower arm with larger tires of the Vxi.

The last time, I have put aftermarket lower arm at a lower cost, and is going great. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2865798

And they are available in singles, SGP or otherwise. A single side SGP lower arm costs around 6-7k including labour. This was a year and a half back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Do you notice steering rattle ?

4) You know any source which can source me just mirror of right side ORVM ? The assembly electrical still work well.
I too have steering rattle on going over bad roads. Looking for some solution.

The mirror alone is available at MASS which costs 1.5k. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2018024.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 17:44   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Agree it looks beautiful but i do not agree on replaced SGP parts lasting as long as the original. I replaced suspensions and on 1 year there is kat kat sound coming. Seems like lower arms have developed some play and they do not come in singles (only pairs) so that would set me back by 10K+ minimum and no guarantee if that will last more than a year.

Awesome, could you give me more details including (if possible) pictures of packing so as i can try and get the same one here in Bangalore.
Don't have picture of the box, it was just a plain brown box with no labels or anything. Had got two back then, one for me and one for my BIL. Here's the picture of the antenna though, the design is a little different from the original but works well.
Attached Images

sumithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 22:11   #138
Senior - BHPian

Lately i have been having thoughts of selling this car and buying an SUV, just waiting for the right SUV to come around. At 84000+ Kms it has almost served its life.

So sent her for service and repairs which were long pending, and in the evening went to pick up the car. The work involved some suspension, steering, bushes replacement, and some denting+painting, apart from usual oil and fluids changes.

One look at her, with the shiny new paint, and my heart wondered do i really want to sell this amazing baby. Then came the time to drive and check the car. Absolutely no rattles, non whatsoever (Surprised), the engine which was sounding coarse earlier is now super smooth again (Beautiful), and the car overall felt wonderfully new and agile. Makes it so easy to drive in the city (a large car with compact dimensions).

Now my heart's wondering, why sell her now, but the mind says what will i do with her when i decide to buy an SUV?

Latest pictures coming up.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 27th February 2013 at 22:12.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:34   #139
Senior - BHPian

Drove the car for a few errand runs in the city. With lower arm work done its absolutely quiet now. No rattles whatsoever. Earlier i was very slow in passing through rough roads mostly because of the irritating noise that it used to create. Even now i slow done, not because of irritation but to keep the car as this for as long as possible.

April the insurance is going to expire and i need to get it renewed. Got an email from Bajaj Allianz to renew it before April 01 as third party insurance cover is going to be increased? Is that true?

Or would folks suggest after ~8 years its best to take third party cover only?
Old 5th April 2013, 13:28   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drove the car for a few errand runs in the city. With lower arm work done its absolutely quiet now. No rattles whatsoever. Earlier i was very slow in passing through rough roads mostly because of the irritating noise that it used to create. Even now i slow done, not because of irritation but to keep the car as this for as long as possible.

April the insurance is going to expire and i need to get it renewed. Got an email from Bajaj Allianz to renew it before April 01 as third party insurance cover is going to be increased? Is that true?

Or would folks suggest after ~8 years its best to take third party cover only?
IMO, dont go for third party insurance. Recently I had a minor crash with a biker. The cost of spares was simply alaraming.
Bonnet = Rs. 18K
Headlight = rs. 10K
Bumper = Rs. 10K.
Front windsheild = Rs. 4K ( replacement bill = Rs. 11K )

Add up the total and you will come to know its very expensive machine to maintain as the parts are directly imported from Japan ( most of them ).
My right side ORVM was stolen, though the assembly is still there. Cost was for complete assembly and it was Rs. 10K. Did not replace the ORVM assembly and instead installed a Bajaj pulsar Mirror in assembly, a juggad which I had to opt for.
Fortunately, the condensor and radiator were fine as the hit was only on the right hand side.
Reality is that Baleno parts are quite expensive. And running this car without compherensive insurnace is very risky as I found out. The car is really nice, drive it and enjoy, but keep full in insurnace coverage. We dont know when will we need that insurance.

Purely my view though. With resale value really less, its worth using the car and enjoying the drive.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 13:55   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Reality is that Baleno parts are quite expensive.
So i did go and got a comprehensive insurance done, and i agree the way this car drives its worth keeping it for as long as it runs.

I have found a do a cheaper maintenance of this car, what i buy is OEM parts which are of the same quality as SGP and 50-70% cheaper. This time i got the lower arm+suspension work done at much lower cost as compared to what i would have paid if i had used SGP parts.

There were two reasons to do this, my low confidence level on SGP parts, and their quoted price.

Question to Baleno Owners, mine is ~80K on the odometer, and i am constantly thinking life beyond Baleno, also because there is a urge to buy an SUV. Options on the table are.
  • Keep the Baleno and keep using it as we do today, with SUV and Civic also there in the garage. Kindof Baleno serves as a Beater car. Once it touches 150K on the odo sell it.
  • Mod the Baleno to make it pleasure to drive, occasionally to Office and some fun drives. SUV for long drives and Civic for runaround in the City.
  • Sell the Baleno and buy a SUV
  • Move the Baleno to my hometown, to be driven only when we fly there. This way it is parked most of the times. Problem with this i see is parts availability in that town, and i do not like re-registering my cars in the different state. I would rather sell it and buy another one in other state.
  • Although i am not very emotional about "things" still my family is and they love the Baleno, so Selling is possible if i cannot think of any alternative use.
  • Parking is not a problem, i can maintain 3 cars, although i would agree that i do not need three cars.
  • I personally prefer getting the Baleno heavily modded, and use it for self within city limits, but i sixth sense tells me it would be a overhead later on. i.e. in terms of selling or maintaining it.
  • Any other ideas, that have not thought about?
Mods, is it worthwhile creating another thread for this query for visibility and wider responses?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 5th April 2013 at 13:58.
Old 5th April 2013, 14:09   #142
BHPian

Quote:
[*] Sell the Baleno and buy a SUV
Over my 4 years of ownership (mileage = 68000kms), I realized the engine was a gem & AC was too good for Chennai weather, but the brakes were shockingly bad while driving at highway speeds (i.e.) 80-100kms/hr. I can't comment on the quality of parts from SGP since I never replaced any major one during my ownership. I had to sell it off after a minor accident, the important elements like the engine, radiator, suspension were not damaged but still the repair bills came to nearly 1.5 lakhs.

Always stick to comprehensive insurance for baleno.

I would personally never use the baleno as a primary vehicle, any damage/accident can take months to repair, down the line it can be very difficult to sell if the car is a non-KA registration.
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 16:02   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

@mayank, unless there are enough people in the family to make use of the 3 cars regularly, it is pointless to have that many cars. Years ago, money was at a premium, but today it is time that is at a premium. Who has the time to use/maintain 3 cars ? Though I have no plan of selling my 8yr old Baleno, I suggest you keep her till you buy the SUV and then dispose her off.

@Mr-Bean, problem with the brakes in a Baleno ? From my experience and what I have read here, they are one of the best in the business. After I had to change the rear brake-shoes recently, I was worried that the braking will go down, but after somel judder initially during the time the new shoes bedded in with the drums, it is now back to OE performance. And @ 67K kms, this is with the OE front disc-pads. Ofcourse this reference is with the speeds you mentioned which is what I mostly end up doing - only rarely get a chance to go above that since highway drives are rare.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 04:27   #144
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ^^.

Me too, i do not find brakes of Baleno any problem, at least till the highway speeds you mentioned. Beyond that is when it starts to inspire less confidence and that is (i believe) because of lack of ABS, Rear Drums etc.

@SB, Why do you think getting Baleno getting modded is a bad idea? This thought is coming from this believe that a 8 year old car will not fetch me much, so why not use it for some good use. Anyway i am going to use it till it crosses 100K Kms, the question is beyond that what?

Apart from this, Civic is slightly big car for the City (especially for my wife), and an SUV would be even bigger for her. So a 3 car scenario does not look too radical to me. The only problem is using Baleno as a beater car pains my heart, but for financial perspective it looks a very good proposition. A 2L worth car can be easily given to the Driver, especially if i have found cheaper means to get it repaired.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 6th April 2013 at 04:29.
Old 6th April 2013, 07:42   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lately i have been having thoughts of selling this car and buying an SUV, just waiting for the right SUV to come around. At 84000+ Kms it has almost served its life.

So sent her for service and repairs which were long pending, and in the evening went to pick up the car. The work involved some suspension, steering, bushes replacement, and some denting+painting, apart from usual oil and fluids changes.

One look at her, with the shiny new paint, and my heart wondered do i really want to sell this amazing baby. Then came the time to drive and check the car. Absolutely no rattles, non whatsoever (Surprised), the engine which was sounding coarse earlier is now super smooth again (Beautiful), and the car overall felt wonderfully new and agile. Makes it so easy to drive in the city (a large car with compact dimensions).

Now my heart's wondering, why sell her now, but the mind says what will i do with her when i decide to buy an SUV?

Latest pictures coming up.
Where do you service your car? My cousin has a Baleno and he is having a hard time finding a good service center.
Btw his car rattles like crazy.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 13:52   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806
@SB, Why do you think getting Baleno getting modded is a bad idea? This thought is coming from this believe that a 8 year old car will not fetch me much, so why not use it for some good use.
In theory it is indeed a good idea. The only problem is the possibility of reliability taking a hit once mods are done. Which is why I keep the car stock, though I would like atleast a free-flow on my car (more for the sound than anything else though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806
Apart from this, Civic is slightly big car for the City (especially for my wife), and an SUV would be even bigger for her. So a 3 car scenario does not look too radical to me. The only problem is using Baleno as a beater car pains my heart, but for financial perspective it looks a very good proposition. A 2L worth car can be easily given to the Driver, especially if i have found cheaper means to get it repaired.
This option does make sense. No point using the costlier/bigger Civic or SUV for city runs. Your wife/driver can use the Baleno for quick runs around town.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 22:47   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Where do you service your car?
Btw his car rattles like crazy.
There is this guy in HSR layout, he has his own garage and i specifically ask him not to use SGP parts as i have bad experience with them.

If you need his contact number let me know.

I got the following things done
  • Bumper replacement and painting (Rear), as older one was completely torn.
  • Right rear panel (Next to tail lamps) - Denting and painting
  • Full Service, Synthetic Oil, All fluids, Oil filter replacement.
  • Rear Door beading replacement
  • Suspension replaced with bushes and lower arm
All put together came to 30K+, which i think is far-far cheaper than if i would have got it done at Service Center.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:43   #148
Senior - BHPian

As promised long time back, posting some pictures. The car always gets dirty in summer because of dust. Last week took her to beauty parlor to make her look her best in pictures .

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-baleno01.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-baleno02.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-baleno03.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-baleno04.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-baleno05.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-baleno06.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-baleno07.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-baleno08.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-baleno09.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-baleno10.jpg
mayankjha1806 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 07:21   #149
Senior - BHPian

Last weeks incident made me believe this such a fuss/hassle free car.

I am not sure how but somehow the brake fluid tube got ruptured and started leaking brake oil on the wheels. The car gave enough indications for me to understand like for example the brake oil spilled on the tyres (I saw that but choose to ignore ), and then a few days later the handbrake sign was always on on the dashboard signalling something was wrong, I again choose to ignore.

One fine morning the brakes faded away (That too very slowly) the driver was able to realize the brake aren't biting well before they were completely gone. So this gave him enough time to park the car on the road side and call me.

Took it to my usual mechanic and it was fixed. Total cost Rs200/-.

Last year similar thing happened with coolant liquid and the car ran without complaining for i am not sure how long before i fixed it myself. Now i try and ensure i open the hood either every week or worse case alternate weeks so as surprises like these are caught well before they become a problem.

And lately we have been finding AC of Baleno far more effective and Civic . Not sure if someone else has also noticed this.
Old 25th April 2013, 07:57   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any other ideas, that have not thought about? Mods, is it worthwhile creating another thread for this query for visibility and wider responses?
- First question on your idea of SUV. What plan do you have for it? Highway cruising? If yes, then where does Civic figure in the scheme of things?
- More than Baleno, you need the answer for your Civic. That would give you the plan for Baleno.
- Best according to me would be a good efficient AT hatch for the city and Bigger car/SUV for the highway.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote