Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 22nd March 2011, 12:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 48000 Kms

Another question for folks who are reading this.

Got the suspension checked and the SA advised me to get them replaced as they are also making some noise (although very little and only on bad roads). The total cost would be approx 25k. Has anyone got this done before? Is it normal for suspensions to go bad @ 50K clicks? and cost of total 25K, suspension + other related parts etc does it look right?

Thanks
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

That is the driveshaft. Driveshafts usually have a longer life than what your car's mileage suggests. Should not have worn out so quickly.
Did you replace both the driveshafts?

The suspension of baleno holds good upto 60k to 70k kms. But it also depends on the terrain and driving style. 25K for the suspension is a little too much. You should be able to get it done for less than 20K.

Last edited by speedmiester : 22nd March 2011 at 13:04.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
That is the driveshaft. Driveshafts usually have a longer life than what your car's mileage suggests. Should not have worn out so quickly.
Did you replace both the driveshafts?
Yes both were replaced, Any idea what am i doing wrong that they went bad sooner than expected? Any ideas what i need to do to take care of them from here on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
The suspension of baleno holds good upto 60k to 70k kms. But it also depends on the terrain and driving style. 25K for the suspension is a little too much. You should be able to get it done for less than 20K.
Last 2 years she has been driven on really-really bad patches and that too quiet fast on daily basis. Hopefully she wont see those roads anymore on daily basis.

Any other parts you reckon i get checked while she sits at doctors bay for a few days when her suspensions gets changed?
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

Last 2 years she has been driven on really-really bad patches and that too quiet fast on daily basis. Hopefully she wont see those roads anymore on daily basis.

Any other parts you reckon i get checked while she sits at doctors bay for a few days when her suspensions gets changed?
I too have a black baleno and got a few suspension parts replaced recently when the odo read 60K. So the life of suspension parts was pretty good for my BlackHawk !

For the sound that you get when driving around, how harsh is it ? Does it sound like a click or metal to metal sound?

Usually, lower-arms are the "most susceptible to damage" parts in suspensions & for baleno, those are made by Suzuki and come at 12k a pair, pretty expensive. You can get these checked for additional play around the joints/bushes. An early diagnosis can save you a lot of money by just replacing the bushes instead of the whole setup.

Also, i think there is something called tie-rod ends which could be damaged due to bad roads/harsh driving. Get that checked as well.
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Yes both were replaced, Any idea what am i doing wrong that they went bad sooner than expected? Any ideas what i need to do to take care of them from here on?

You have answered your own question.
Driving fast over rough patches and pot holes jolts the wheels, suspension and also the drive shafts. This jolts will wear the teeth of driveshafts. This is one of the reason why the shafts gave up so early. Drive carefully.

Check the lower arms, if they is damage change it.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 19:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Whats the cost of tie rod ends? Anyone has any idea?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Whats the cost of tie rod ends? Anyone has any idea?
Is Tie Rod same as Drive Shaft? Then i can check the bill and update you tomorrow regarding the cost.
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

No tie rod ends are different. Its the part of steering mechanism while drive shaft forms the part of transmission. The front tie rod ends are the small metallic rods between the wheel hub and the main frame steering mechanism. The tie rod transmits force from the steering center link or the rack gear to the steering knuckle. This will cause the wheel to turn. The outer tie rod end connects with an adjusting sleeve, which allows the length of the tie rod to be adjustable. This adjustment is used to set a vehicle’s alignment angle. Someone correct if I am wrong, please.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 23rd March 2011 at 14:51.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 17:38   #39
BHPian

My Baleno Vxi is a 2006 November model and has done 51000 kms. When I sent it for 50000 kms servicing, my service centre guy told me that the tie rod ends, lower arms, bar ends and brake pads have to be replaced.

The cost of MGP for these spares is:

Tie rod ends - 1250.00 each

Lower arms - 7300.00 each

Bar ends - 600.00 each

Brake pads - 3900/set

Presently I have managed without changing the lower arms and replaced the other parts with local make. According to my service guy they will run without any trouble for another 5000 kms but after that I have to spend around 22-25k and get all these replaced.

This is the first major expenditure I will be incurring in last 4+ years. I had changed the tyres after 40000 kms due to wear n tear @16k. Otherwise the car has given me trouble free service.

I am in market to buy a new car but have decided to retain this for the use of my wife.

Was involved in an accident couple of years ago and the expenditure at that time came to 1.3 lakhs of which insurance covered 1.1lakhs and I had to pay 20k.

It is still a very good car to drive.
NoRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 23:04   #40
BHPian

Glad to see such a strong baleno fan base. I have a 2004 (Dec) Baleno, 55000 Kms. Maintained it like a baby. Just added Yokhamas & an upsize from 13s to 14s Off late I am getting a bit of an irritating noise on rough roads. I guess it could be the bushes. Will get this checked soon. I just took a friend's civic for a drive & by no means of exaggeration, the Baleno ride feels as plush as the Civic, although it being from a higher segment. There is only one car that you can graduate from a Baleno.....A Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI.
cedricsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 12:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to attach the 50k picture earlier
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-baleno50k.jpg  

Old 19th April 2011, 13:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Had updated earlier about the suspension problems. Last week we decided to give it for replacement as the suspension was making scaring noises and we were not confident of taking the car on highway. Following things were changed

1. Strut Assembly for Front suspension
2. Shock Absorbers Bushkit front
3. End component Steering Tie-Rod
4. Stabliser bush kit
5. Front Break Pad Set
6. Front Disc Brakes (Both sides) as they were rusted
7. Lower Arm assembly (both sides)

Total cost approx 31K
Old 19th April 2011, 13:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Along with the suspension and other repairs i took the car on highway for a small drive, it definately feels much better and on rough roads it no longer makes any noise.

Also decided to upgrade the Music System, i have been using the one which came by default and it only played Audio CD's and MP3 Cd's. This time i decided to get a USB/Aux supported music system as carrying CD's is pain.

Looked at the options and selected a Sony + JBL (Rear Speakers) combination keeping an eye on cost and at the same time music quality.

Following are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-disc-brakes-01.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-disc-brakes-02.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-new-music.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-front-panel-opens01.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-front-panel-opens02.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-jbl-rear-spekers.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-sony-head-unit.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!-usb-ipod-concealed-connector.jpg  

Old 19th April 2011, 14:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Sony DSX-S100
In-Car Digital Media Player

Flip-down LCD display Digital Media Player which comes with a tune tray that secures your iPod, Walkman® player or other USB devices inside the receiver, allows you to plug-in and playback your playlists from your device via USB 1-Wire technology. Also comes with a reminder alert.

ZAPPIN™, Quick-BrowZer, DM+ Advanced
USB, iPod Control Feature
Frontal Aux-In
52W x 4
Pre-Out: Front + Rear/Sub switchable
Comes with reminder alert which ensures you don’t leave your device behind

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 19th April 2011 at 14:06. Reason: Scrambled text, incorrect copy/paste
Old 8th May 2011, 08:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

Finally the problem i was anticipating for long happened. As earlier stated the battery of my car has been the same since i bought 5 years ago and can possibly go-bad anytime.

Last Thursday the car refused to started as the battery was down, i know there could be multiple reasons from battery dead, or some electrical leakage someplace in the car which led it to get drained. Anyway called the Carnation workshop on wheels. They came and did a jump start and said the battery was fine. As usual i was not convinced hence took it to carnation next day and we found one of the door switches on the left rear door had lost its rubber covering. This led to the light inside the cabin always on (as it sensed that the door was not closed) and somehow lead to battery discharge.

The rubber was fixed, and some other checkups done, total loss (INR 200)

I am still not sure if we have nailed the problem, will check in a few days and revert, but did something like this has happened to someone else?