Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th August 2012, 20:15   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Maruti Suzuki Baleno @ 58000 Kms. EDIT: Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Could you give me details of After market lower arms? The SA did mentioned the same and i was slightly skeptical. Are these manufactured by local folks or are they branded? Where can i get them?
Similar case with my Baleno on the SGP lower arms. I had to replace the SGP make twice and the third time, I went to a local mechanic who put Rane make for 1800/- a piece. Running fine for 8k and still got much life.

Today, had been to another local mechanic who stitches and fixes fiber parts. 1800/- for stitching 2 minor tears and for painting, on the right side of the front bumper. A new front bumper from the M.A.S.S. would have costed 7k after insurance, from 11k, including painting. But I doubt how long the stitching and gluing would last.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 03:07   #122

My Baleno bumped into a roadside tree. It was night, raining and I was trying to avoid hitting someone who tried to cross the road suddenly. Was not speeding and no issues except damage to vehicle.

Claimed insurance and got the repairs done at Kalyani Motors, Bannerghatta Road.

Damages and repair cost:

Broken Right Headlamp(Replaced)-12,657
Bonnet and Fender dent-(Denting Labour Charges)-3,000
Broken Bumper (Replaced)-12,084
Painting-9,100
Broken Windshield Glass (Replaced)-8,210 - Labour charges-1517
Balance other consumables and Labour
Total Repair Cost - 48,811
My contribution:16,324
(Cost of parts replacement and Labour charges stated above inclusive of Sales/Service tax)
ponzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 08:57   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
My Baleno bumped into a roadside tree. It was night, raining and I was trying to avoid hitting someone who tried to cross the road suddenly. Was not speeding and no issues except damage to vehicle.

Claimed insurance and got the repairs done at Kalyani Motors, Bannerghatta Road.

Damages and repair cost:

Broken Right Headlamp(Replaced)-12,657
Bonnet and Fender dent-(Denting Labour Charges)-3,000
Broken Bumper (Replaced)-12,084
Painting-9,100
Broken Windshield Glass (Replaced)-8,210 - Labour charges-1517
Balance other consumables and Labour
Total Repair Cost - 48,811
My contribution:16,324
(Cost of parts replacement and Labour charges stated above inclusive of Sales/Service tax)
I am not sure about the headlamp, but you could have gone for aftermarket windshield glass and the bumper which would be almost 1/3rd the cost of SGP.

I had to replace the one tail lamp and rear bumper early this year on my Baleno. The MASS gave me an estimate of 35000/- of which 12000/- was for the bumper and 8K for the tail lamp and rest for minor denting and painting charges. My contribution for the repair would have been 12000/-

I spoke to my FNG and he suggested to check with an automobile parts store. I got the rear bumper without paint for 4000/- and the tail lamp for 1750/-. The entire repair cost along with oil change and minor service came to 12400/-
I still claimed insurance and got back 7000/- from the insurance company.

There are a lot of alternatives for cosmetic parts for Baleno in the open market, this will save you some serious cash.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:34   #124
BHPian

Does anyone know from where can I source headlights for Baleno in Bangalore? Would like to keep away from the SGP one, as it is quite expensive . . .
firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:06   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm View Post
Does anyone know from where can I source headlights for Baleno in Bangalore? Would like to keep away from the SGP one, as it is quite expensive . . .
So far I recall there are 2 variants of headlights. The one with the motor for headlight adjustment costs 10-12K, but the earlier variant costs <2K each.

It's a similar story for the tail-lamps. The 'white plastic' indicator lamps from the last model costs more. The older 'orange plastic' lamps is priced a lot lower.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 18:23   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I am not sure about the headlamp, but you could have gone for aftermarket windshield glass and the bumper which would be almost 1/3rd the cost of SGP.

I had to replace the one tail lamp and rear bumper early this year on my Baleno. The MASS gave me an estimate of 35000/- of which 12000/- was for the bumper and 8K for the tail lamp and rest for minor denting and painting charges. My contribution for the repair would have been 12000/-

I spoke to my FNG and he suggested to check with an automobile parts store. I got the rear bumper without paint for 4000/- and the tail lamp for 1750/-. The entire repair cost along with oil change and minor service came to 12400/-
I still claimed insurance and got back 7000/- from the insurance company.

There are a lot of alternatives for cosmetic parts for Baleno in the open market, this will save you some serious cash.
Agree ! I guess I need to do some homework to save cash But running around to source after market parts is a issue and finding a good non-MASS shop to do the job is just luck ! I have seen parts being swapped at non-MASS shops. Further, leaving the vehicle for days with them where there is no monitoring or check-In / Out process is scary. Hence prefer MASS for these jobs.

But to keep a Baleno, one definitely needs to switch to after market parts to the best extent possible.

Btw, I brought a set of fog lamps (Hella) from eBay @ around 3800. Yet to get them fixed. Below is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-ESTEE...sories&vxp=mtr

Looking for rear Antenna. Is there a after market one that I can source @ Bangalore ? Appreciate info.
ponzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 12:03   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking for rear Antenna. Is there a after market one that I can source @ Bangalore ? Appreciate info.
My Balenos rear antenna has been broken for last 2 years, it works as far as radio reception is concerned, but does not go up and down. In these two years i have tried various methods to get it replaced but in vain. I did ask a few places if there is an aftermarket one that can fit in there, but nothing has come out so far.

Will appreciate any info if someone has already solved this riddle.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 22:37   #128
BHPian

Quote:

Btw, I brought a set of fog lamps (Hella) from eBay @ around 3800. Yet to get them fixed. Below is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-ESTEE...sories&vxp=mtr
These don't look like original Hellas - could you open the package and check. The price is slightly mouth watering.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 02:19   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
These don't look like original Hellas - could you open the package and check. The price is slightly mouth watering.
Well, I guess they are originals !? Its a Hella Optilux-1452 - Part No:88192.
Attached Images

ponzi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 10:10   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I guess they are originals !? Its a Hella Optilux-1452 - Part No:88192.
Awesome! any idea if they also come with an option for aux driving lights for this model. Basically, I want aux driving lights, and these seem to fit the original fog lamp spaces without modification, so if they came with driving light mode, would love to buy them. Can't see this model on the Indian Hella site (though present on the US site), so can't figure.

thanks
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 18:32   #131
Senior - BHPian

Last week the Baleno crossed 70K clicks. As usual it's running fine with without any complaints, but as the time goes by I am starting to think of its retirement. Maintaining a Baleno aint cheap by any standards. Last week looked at a few used Fortuners and this week sometime I might pay a visit to take a look at Storme.

Is rebuilding Baleno a good idea or should I think of its retirement in another 10-20K Kim's.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 19:56   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Balenos rear antenna has been broken for last 2 years, it works as far as radio reception is concerned, but does not go up and down.
Though the power antenna motor is fine in mine, the toothed plastic chain that lifts the antenna got broken. This made the antenna stuck at one position. I had cut open the motor unit and disconnected the toothed plastic chain. Now I'm using the stock antenna as a manually lift-able one.

Good looking fixed antennas are available in the local accessories shop too.

Quote:
Maintaining a Baleno aint cheap by any standards. Last week looked at a few used Fortuners and this week sometime I might pay a visit to take a look at Storme.

Is rebuilding Baleno a good idea or should I think of its retirement in another 10-20K Kim's.
I am also in the same dilemma on how long I can persist with our beloved Baleno without retiring her.

True that the spares cost a bomb but isn't it almost at par with newer vehicles of the same class? The saving grace here is that the parts on the newer car won't break down in another 4-5 years where as we don't know what all parts are waiting to go kaput on the Baleno. And definitely, MASS are not stocking Baleno spares and hence downtime will be more if at all critical parts are to be replaced. I guess the official supports on spares are for another 3 years only? (experts please clarify; thanks)

The counter point is that there are few cars that match her beauty, reliability (once parts are replaced with original spares), and performance. For me, she is a stunner having an aeroplane profile which none of the newer generation cars have. Moreover, many parts on newer cars are built to a budget in comparison the Baleno.

Hope I could add to your confusion I'll be watching this space for clearing my own confusions on keeping vs maintaining.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:24   #133
BHPian

Quote:
My Balenos rear antenna has been broken for last 2 years, it works as far as radio reception is concerned, but does not go up and down. In these two years i have tried various methods to get it replaced but in vain. I did ask a few places if there is an aftermarket one that can fit in there, but nothing has come out so far.

Will appreciate any info if someone has already solved this riddle.
You do get after market motorized antenna. Got one for my Baleno for ~1K here in Thane about 6 months back. Works like a charm
sumithb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 22:52   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
The counter point is that there are few cars that match her beauty, reliability (once parts are replaced with original spares), and performance.
Agree it looks beautiful but i do not agree on replaced SGP parts lasting as long as the original. I replaced suspensions and on 1 year there is kat kat sound coming. Seems like lower arms have developed some play and they do not come in singles (only pairs) so that would set me back by 10K+ minimum and no guarantee if that will last more than a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
You do get after market motorized antenna. Got one for my Baleno for ~1K here in Thane about 6 months back.
Awesome, could you give me more details including (if possible) pictures of packing so as i can try and get the same one here in Bangalore.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 23:09   #135
Senior - BHPian

I also drive Baleno daily. Earlier, around 10K kms. ago, we had replaced the front lower arms. Now the left lower arm has gone bad. We had installed original SGP parts. What I feel is that the SGP last much lower than original. Cost of 1 lower arm = Rs. 10K + Labor. I am shocked by such a heavy price.
My right side ORVM got stolen and cost = Rs. 8.5K + labor. I have to replace entire assembly.
The headlamps are also getting yellow and I dont think that 3M treatment or coalgate/toothpaste trick will work. Overall, the maintenance would be close to Rs. 45K atleast if I plan to get the suspension ( front + rear ) serviced/repaired/replace parts ( if need be ).

This is one car which is really great to drive, lively and reliable, but somehow, against typical maruti Quality, is expensive to maintain and its getting tougher to get parts.

1) Do you notice steering rattle ?
2) What is cost of suspension parts in your city ?
3) Where to source the automatic Annetta mechanism ? Mine has gone bad too since long.
4) You know any source which can source me just mirror of right side ORVM ? The assembly electrical still work well.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote