Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2012, 13:01   #436
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,769
Thanked: 6,727 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
What size did you get Akshay? Rohit's civic is running on 225/45/R17, and he is quite happy with the overall grip levels. I think rohit is out of town and will be back in a week or so..
205/55 R16, the stock size. I wanted 225/50 R16 but there was only PS3 which was really expensive.
Akshay1234 is offline  
Old 27th February 2012, 12:24   #437
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 534 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
205/55 R16, the stock size.
Oh, I didnt know A-Drive R1 are available in this size. In fact, last year, my brother had to buy ER300 Bridgestone from grey market in the same size for cedia for Rs.6400.

Mind sharing the price of R1's in this size.

In btw: did you check S-drives, they are available in 205/55/16; 215/55/16 and 225/50/16; or until there is this ISI issue now a days. But even 205/55/16 should be around 7.5-8k.

And yes, PS3 are definitely expensive.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 27th February 2012 at 12:27.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline  
Old 27th February 2012, 14:23   #438
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Rohit's civic is running on 225/45/R17, and he is quite happy with the overall grip levels.
Spotted a Civic in Pune the other day with a similar tyre/rim configuration. It was a silver Civic. Looked different. Not sure if I really liked it, felt a little empty around the rims. Visual inertia perhaps.



Sorry no pictures.
dot is offline  
Old 27th February 2012, 14:39   #439
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
What size did you get Akshay? Rohit's civic is running on 225/45/R17, and he is quite happy with the overall grip levels. I think rohit is out of town and will be back in a week or so..
I would be more interested to know the riding comfort after the upgrade.
15" to 17" with low profile tyres, definetely the comfort level would have decreased.
sushrutha is offline  
Old 27th February 2012, 22:12   #440
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,769
Thanked: 6,727 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Oh, I didnt know A-Drive R1 are available in this size. In fact, last year, my brother had to buy ER300 Bridgestone from grey market in the same size for cedia for Rs.6400.

Mind sharing the price of R1's in this size.

In btw: did you check S-drives, they are available in 205/55/16; 215/55/16 and 225/50/16; or until there is this ISI issue now a days. But even 205/55/16 should be around 7.5-8k.

And yes, PS3 are definitely expensive.
I got the R1s for 7000 per tyre, and 4500 back for my 350km run NCT5s. S-drives nor C-drives were available in this side. The tyre guy said it will take another year to get the supply issues sorted because of the ISI mess.

If C-drives were available they would have been around 500 more per tyre.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 14:31   #441
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 534 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Spotted a Civic in Pune the other day with a similar tyre/rim configuration. It was a silver Civic. Looked different. Not sure if I really liked it, felt a little empty around the rims. Visual inertia perhaps.
The ones on Rohit's civic look wicked. So wicked that I would buy the same for my cedia if I get a relative bargain. In fact, before getting the new set of tires for my car, I checked Team Bhp classified for good 2 months for some good 17s, especially Konigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I would be more interested to know the riding comfort after the upgrade.
15" to 17" with low profile tyres, definetely the comfort level would have decreased.
The comfort definitely is compromised but not to a level that an enthusiast will say no to them. In fact, when I drove rohit's car, I didnt feel that the ride was back breaking like what I have experienced on a few swifts/cedias with 17"s. But more than the driver, its the passengers who would complain about the ride.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 29th February 2012 at 14:32.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline  
Old 29th February 2012, 14:49   #442
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post

The comfort definitely is compromised but not to a level that an enthusiast will say no to them. In fact, when I drove rohit's car, I didnt feel that the ride was back breaking like what I have experienced on a few swifts/cedias with 17"s. But more than the driver, its the passengers who would complain about the ride.
Good...
Oh Swifts with 17".... it's really back breaking in rough roads...
sushrutha is offline  
Old 29th February 2012, 20:08   #443
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,172
Thanked: 1,605 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Sorry guys, posting this from Hanoi. I have been quite busy off late because of my work.

Anyway, good to see some life in my thread. Just to pour in some music, I am posting another video of my car! Enjoy the sweet soundtrack...



Also, the car has clocked over 60,000 kms and due for a service. I will be updating the thread with more details very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hey ace, how are the A-drive R1 tires? I just had to get a set for my Laura because nothing else was available in stock at all. In terms of grip how are they?
Hey Akshay, apologies for the late reply mate. A Drive R1 are perfect VFM tires. They look fantastic and are grippy enough in most conditions. Just one complain; they used to be quite when new, now when mine have done about 10,500 kms on them, they have become a little noisy. Not that bad but still noticable.

I am 99% sure you have made a right decision. Would like to hear your feedback once to clock some miles on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
What size did you get Akshay? Rohit's civic is running on 225/45/R17, and he is quite happy with the overall grip levels. I think rohit is out of town and will be back in a week or so..
Thanks for the answer on my behalf, Gaurav. Tell us more about your new S-Drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Spotted a Civic in Pune the other day with a similar tyre/rim configuration. It was a silver Civic. Looked different. Not sure if I really liked it, felt a little empty around the rims. Visual inertia perhaps.

Sorry no pictures.
haha, not really. You have seen my car pics from every angle, haven't you! However I would say, it depends more or less on wheel/tyre combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I would be more interested to know the riding comfort after the upgrade.
15" to 17" with low profile tyres, definetely the comfort level would have decreased.
Oh, ride quality is compromised for sure. Check my posts after I upgraded the wheels and you will realize even my family members while riding the car with me noticed the difference.

Added Disadvantage: You have to be really careful with bumps and potholes.

BUT, dropdead gorgeous looks and the extra grip (those 225 cross-section tires really help there) makes up more than the comfort for me at least! I wish I could take my car to BIC and lap it around a couple of times. Sigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Good...
Oh Swifts with 17".... it's really back breaking in rough roads...
I am not very sure but I believe jolts will be more percievable in Swifts compared to Civic!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 13:29   #444
BHPian
 
dynomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 72
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

BUT, dropdead gorgeous looks and the extra grip (those 225 cross-section tires really help there) makes up more than the comfort for me at least! I wish I could take my car to BIC and lap it around a couple of times. Sigh!
I second that. The kind of tyres we're putting on Indian cars these days - we're rarely going to exploit their full potential.

Btw, would you know how much a 225/45 R17 A Drive R1 costs (per tyre)?

And Konigs - boy oh boy - Konigs. Have been trying to get my hands on a set. Preeti Trading Corporation doesn't deal in alloy wheels anymore. Gyro in Delhi has shut shop. BK Tyre doesn't deal anymore in Konig. I think I'm out of options.
dynomite is offline  
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:34   #445
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,172
Thanked: 1,605 Times
Default The Long Awaited 60,000 kms Service

Finally, I found some time for updating my thread with 60,000 kms service. As most of you know, I have been quite busy off-late due to my work, I do not really find enough time for TeamBHP now a days (though I try to sneak in once in a while to get the updates!).

My car was taken for 60K service on 11th March though the car had completed the mileage quite a few days back. Fellow BHPian Gaurav_Chopra accompanied me during the service.

The work was done at Raju's workshop:

- Shell Helix Ultra Synthetic oil (4 Litres): I decided to stick with Shell due to my good experience last time. Cost - INR 2300 IIRC.
- Oil Filter: INR 80
- Transmission Oil: Castrol SAF I believe, Needed appox. 1.9 litres (Cost: Can't remember, must have been close to INR 1000!)
- Clutch Oil and Brake Oil: Topped the oils and bleed the clutch.
- Tyre Rotation:
- K&N Cleaning: Did myself.
- Suspension components and other vital parts were checked and found to be okay.

Service Cost: INR 950

Total Cost: Approx. INR 4300

Car is back to what it was earlier: FUN! Those redlines with those slick gear shifts. Guess she is ready for another 10,000 hard kms of fun.

Had a weird incident in between though! It was one usual Friday night and I was roaming in and around Gurgaon late night. At about 3 AM, we stopped for a drink and guess what, after 10 minutes the car won't crank!!! Checked everything (and I mean, litrelly everything) but could not find any fault. While cranking, it would just give a grrrrrrrr... kinda sound with ABS and a (sort of) green steering light flashing! Ultimately, decided for a push start and the car started in the very first gentle push! Still can't figure out what was wrong that night!

Some issues that I am facing right now: Rattles! The car has filled with significant rattles recently. One from the roof-light, one from dash board in front of the front passanger sheet. Can't still figure out what it is! But, it is very annoying and driving me nuts! Will visit Honda dealership to rectify these if possible.

Rest, everything is swell...

Have been to Gurgaon-Faridabad road couple of times and boy, I have put in extra 1000 rupees of fuel during each run just for redlinings and high revvings!

Guess many of you didn't bother to check out the video I posted earlier on this page! You will know what I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
I second that. The kind of tyres we're putting on Indian cars these days - we're rarely going to exploit their full potential.
Yep, I don't care about slightly low FE, but I do care that my car stops on time when needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
Btw, would you know how much a 225/45 R17 A Drive R1 costs (per tyre)?
I paid INR 8000 a pop about 7 months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
And Konigs - boy oh boy - Konigs. Have been trying to get my hands on a set. Preeti Trading Corporation doesn't deal in alloy wheels anymore. Gyro in Delhi has shut shop. BK Tyre doesn't deal anymore in Konig. I think I'm out of options.
Understand your plight! And this is precisely why I need to be careful with my alloys since I won't be able to find a spare in case I manage to damage one!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 20:08   #446
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 503 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Nice to hear about crossing 60K. I am moving back to delhi in a month's time. So lets catch up sometime soon
iTNerd is online now  
Old 23rd March 2012, 20:28   #447
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,172
Thanked: 1,605 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Nice to hear about crossing 60K. I am moving back to delhi in a month's time. So lets catch up sometime soon
Thanks Rehman! PM me once you are here and we will plan a meet.

BTW, slightly OT here. I looked into your SUV query thread the day you posted but could not reply. Here is my take, you keep the Civic for those spirited low riding runs and buy yourself a nice pre-owned diesel SUV (on lines of a Pajero; I think fellow BHPian ricky_63 from Gurgaon has one bloody good Ironman Pajero for sale, check out the classifieds!).
Ace F355 is offline  
Old 23rd March 2012, 20:40   #448
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 503 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Thanks Rehman! PM me once you are here and we will plan a meet.

BTW, slightly OT here. I looked into your SUV query thread the day you posted but could not reply. Here is my take, you keep the Civic for those spirited low riding runs and buy yourself a nice pre-owned diesel SUV (on lines of a Pajero; I think fellow BHPian ricky_63 from Gurgaon has one bloody good Ironman Pajero for sale, check out the classifieds!).
Thanks Rohit! Yeah, have decided to keep the civic, and get a used SUV.. inclining more towards a petrol SUV (GV) as running will be low... I did check Ricky_63's classified listing of his pajero, but my budget is around 10 only. I hope he buys another GV and sell it within few months
iTNerd is online now  
Old 23rd March 2012, 20:45   #449
BHPian
 
taranonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: India
Posts: 279
Thanked: 105 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Hey buddy.. just saw the video.. what exhaust are you running? Its just music to the ears.

Wish diesels made sweet noises like these and not the usual tractor sound!!
taranonline is offline  
Old 23rd March 2012, 20:56   #450
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,172
Thanked: 1,605 Times
Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Thanks Rohit! Yeah, have decided to keep the civic, and get a used SUV.. inclining more towards a petrol SUV (GV) as running will be low... I did check Ricky_63's classified listing of his pajero, but my budget is around 10 only. I hope he buys another GV and sell it within few months
Why I am saying diesel is because of running costs of two petrol cars. But, if you find a well kept low mileage CR-V within 10, that will do as well I guess. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
Hey buddy.. just saw the video.. what exhaust are you running? Its just music to the ears.

Wish diesels made sweet noises like these and not the usual tractor sound!!


Thanks, the exhaust is stock... The growl is because of K&N typhoon SRI.

BTW, Akshay is right, I have driven a 320D with BMW performance kit and the usual diesel sound was noticablely lower than stock in that car.
Ace F355 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
300,000 kms in 7.5 years on my Esteem Diesel. EDIT: Sold @ 3.4 Lakh kms benzinblut Long-Term Ownership Reviews 72 8th March 2014 01:54
My Grey Hell Hound - Honda Civic SMT '11 - 5000 kms Ownership Report mjumrani Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 9th February 2012 11:57
The Sea Grey Shark Attack!!! Fiesta 1.6S delivered. capt_rocker Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 178 1st November 2011 17:34
Couple takes road-trip of 142,000 miles in an 83-yr old car! AVR The International Automotive Scene 4 8th April 2011 17:46
Honda City Vs Honda Civic E Vs Honda Civic V (pre-owned) drkunaldas Sedans 4 31st October 2010 18:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:21.

Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks