Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 24th March 2012, 00:11   #451
Senior - BHPian

Default re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Thanks Rohit! Yeah, have decided to keep the civic, and get a used SUV.. inclining more towards a petrol SUV (GV) as running will be low...
With a 10 lac budget, you have CRV and Outlander in your budget. You should get a mint condition 2008 CRV or outlander at arout 8-9 lacs max. My cousin just let go an outlander last week as he booked a new flat in gurgaon. It was a 2009 pre face lift with 32k on the clock. The owner was asking for 11 and with bargain could have got the car at around 9 lacs easy.

Search the market and you will get N number of CRVs within your budget in MINT Condition. You may be lucky to find an outlander too. Prices of petrol cars have taken a huge beating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
The growl is because of K&N typhoon SRI.
Please dont talk about Typhoon
Old 24th March 2012, 00:54   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
With a 10 lac budget, you have CRV and Outlander in your budget. You should get a mint condition 2008 CRV or outlander at arout 8-9 lacs max. My cousin just let go an outlander last week as he booked a new flat in gurgaon. It was a 2009 pre face lift with 32k on the clock. The owner was asking for 11 and with bargain could have got the car at around 9 lacs easy.

Search the market and you will get N number of CRVs within your budget in MINT Condition. You may be lucky to find an outlander too. Prices of petrol cars have taken a huge beating.
Thanks for chipping in. I wanted a capable 4x4, something I can use comfortably on ladakh and other rough roads, and unfortunately, a CRV or Outlander are not so good OTR vehicles. And from the ownership reports and other reviews, a GV seems to perfectly fit my requirement. its ideally sized, great engine for offroad, as well as for highways and being a maruti, servicing would not be much problems, though spare parts can take time to procure. but I guess, its a better proposition than a CRV or Outlandar. And my least worry is petrol price. I just need a cheap used SUV, that I can comfortably take anywhere.

BTW, hard to find a good used outlandar. and price is on higher side too. But the interior, auto tranny and paddle shifters are tempting...only if I could get it within 10 L

Last edited by iTNerd : 24th March 2012 at 00:57.
Old 24th March 2012, 02:16   #453
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW, Akshay is right, I have driven a 320D with BMW performance kit and the usual diesel sound was noticablely lower than stock in that car.
How did you find the drive? Believe me nothing comes close to driving involvement as the E90, not even cars double its price. Also the typhoon sounds good, but believe me on the Accord its even wilder, I need to put up a video soon.
Old 24th March 2012, 04:05   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
How did you find the drive? Believe me nothing comes close to driving involvement as the E90, not even cars double its price. Also the typhoon sounds good, but believe me on the Accord its even wilder, I need to put up a video soon.
Well, honestly it would be hard for me to comment on the drive since I drove the car for a very little time. But the difference in smoothness of the engine was evident clearly. Agree with E90's driving involvement, however my personal favorite among Beemers is E46 M3. Man, that thing surely moves. A close friend in Canada has one.

E90 is good but E46 is a legend. If only I could have one in India...

K&N in your Accord must be real music. I had asked you to put up a video of it quite a few months back if you remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Please dont talk about Typhoon
Old 25th March 2012, 16:00   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Thanks for chipping in. I wanted a capable 4x4, something I can use comfortably on ladakh and other rough roads, and unfortunately, a CRV or Outlander are not so good OTR vehicles. And from the ownership reports and other reviews, a GV seems to perfectly fit my requirement. its ideally sized, great engine for offroad, as well as for highways and being a maruti, servicing would not be much problems, though spare parts can take time to procure. but I guess, its a better proposition than a CRV or Outlandar. And my least worry is petrol price. I just need a cheap used SUV, that I can comfortably take anywhere.
Despite the fact that GV is a capable offroader, I believe that Outlander can do most of the stuff that GV can. I agree that in extreme off road conditions, the GV will survive better than Outy, but if you check the ladakh threads, cars like cedia and logan have made it to the top, so it should be a least problem for outlander.

I dont think that there will be a varied difference between the waiting time of parts of outlander and those of GV. Since, this will be your second car, it shouldnt be an issue.

Quote:
BTW, hard to find a good used outlandar. and price is on higher side too. But the interior, auto tranny and paddle shifters are tempting...only if I could get it within 10 L
Just sent you a PM. The person from whom I got my cedia has a 2010 black outlander, lets see if he plans to sell the outy soon. We can get the car at some BIG discounts compared to market price. Will let you know, if and when I get any update on the same.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 25th March 2012 at 16:02.
Old 29th March 2012, 07:04   #456
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night, my car finally had a big issue and frankly, I wasn't expecting any such thing to happen.

I left my office for home at 7:30. The car was doing fine, the engine warmed up nicely and I was redlining it wherever I was finding space for the same. In between, I got a phone call and I pulled over to have a conversation. All of a sudden, I see a stream of oil near front left wheel!!! I was like damn, what is this??? Did I hit my car's underbody just now?

Realized engine oil was leaking badly and my car had almost run out of engine oil. I took the car a nearby safe parking place, about 200 meters from where I realized the problem. Tried looking underbody but in vein since it was already dark. And the engine was completely out of oil...

In the end, while nothing came into my mind, I called up Gaurav_Chopra. After telling him the whole story, his first guess was, could be an oil filter leakage!

I asked him if something could be done since it was 8PM and my car was stranded in the middle of the way to my place. He replied he will come down with a mechanic to see what can be done. Thank you so much buddy for driving down all the way from Punjabi Bagh to Saket for helping me out.

Gaurav brought the mechanic Raju with him. We jacked up the car, and after looking at underbody, Raju took the faulty oil filter out. The oil filter seal was gone! Wow, I didn't see this one coming... seriously.

Raju said, same filter is being used in many cars and depending on how much pressure is generated during the run; the filter can go bad, like this one! He brought the replacement filter and a can of Mobil Super 10W30 mineral oil along with him. So, we replaced the filter and filled up the oil. The car was good to go again...

So, I lost 4 litres of Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 Synthetic oil and one oil filter due to this mess. Right now my car is topped up with mineral oil. Will see if I should use this one for this time for next 5000 kms or should I refill another pack of Shell Helix.

But the incident made us think I was darn lucky to be in Delhi and to be able to take note of the leakage. Had I been on a highway run gunning the car... I would have been looking at a serious engine seize. Fewwww... Thank god, this one was close!

Lesson Learnt: Need to buy the oil filter specifically made for Civic instead of listening to what the aftermarket parts guy says.
Ace F355 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 10:48   #457
BHPian

@ACE

Honda A>S>S uses same oil filter in my civic which is used in accord and CRV.

how did you find the shell Ultra 5w-40 in your civic ? was it better than the Honda synthetic ?
my car is nearing 50k and oil change is needed thinking of some better oil, trying to find OWS oil but its not available at proper rate anywhere in mumbai.

I too had encountered an same incident but in my good ol 800 but thankfully before engine could seize the oil light came up and car was attended too.
Happened on NH8 but thankfully bang opposite maruti service station.

For oil filter why dont you try out the high flow oil filter from K&N ? Heard it good from many forum members which are there on BB civic group.

Mobil super 10w30 is the best mineral Oil you cant get it easily lasts for 8-9k kms atleast it does in my lancer which runs on this oil from 20k kms and it has made nice wonders to engine.
My lancer has clocked 1.2L kms on this oil with oil change every 8k kms and engine is smooth and grunty as it should be.

Last edited by jatinpatel : 29th March 2012 at 10:50.
Old 29th March 2012, 12:13   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Raju said, same filter is being used in many cars and depending on how much pressure is generated during the run; the filter can go bad, like this one!
What did Raju The Mechanic mean by that?

Quote:

Lesson Learnt: Need to buy the oil filter specifically made for Civic instead of listening to what the aftermarket parts guy says.
In my opinion, if one of the reason you bought a Honda is for its reliability, then you should stick to genuine Honda mechanical parts - including filters, brake pads etc and not take the aftermarket route.
Old 29th March 2012, 13:49   #459
Senior - BHPian

A little research since morning has revealed that this filter is shared by many brands and their cars including Hyundai accent and other hyundais, Mitsubishi lancer, mitsubishi cedia, honda civic, city, jazz, bio, accord and others. In fact, my Cedia has the same filter from ASC and the lancer too is using the same filter from aftermarket for over 60k kms and have never had any issue. The same filter is branded by Honda India and Hyundai India with their names in blue color.

Rohit's car was running on this filter for last 10k kms and didn't have any issue. So I believe it's the very piece that had the problem. And I writing this after having seen Honda filter at ring road Honda, had given my cousins civic for service...

A rare event that can happen to anyone..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 29th March 2012 at 13:51.
Old 29th March 2012, 20:23   #460
BHPian

@gaurav
so u mean to say that the same filter was being used for last 10k kms???

Cause if so then this incident can repeat again as the Oil filter life in general is between 10-11k max!!
It might be the case that the K&N filters might last lil more kms but the oil filter should be changed at 10k.
Old 29th March 2012, 20:33   #461
Senior - BHPian

Any chance the filter was not properly fitted etc. The posts before mentioned the oil filter change at 60K. May be it was not fitted properly.I had a similar issue with the fuel filter of my 800 which leaked fuel because it was not fitted securely enough.
Old 29th March 2012, 21:30   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fewwww... Thank god, this one was close!

Woo hoo! That was a narrow escape, isn't it? Good that you noticed the leak at the right moment (sharp eyes I should say) preventing the engine from suffering extensive damage.

Less than a month back, a friend of mine had his Verna's engines engulfed in thick smoke in the middle of the road which was later traced to a faulty oil filter and oil seal.
Old 29th March 2012, 21:37   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He brought.... a can of Mobil Super 10W30 mineral oil along with him. So, we replaced the filter and filled up the oil. The car was good to go again...

Right now my car is topped up with mineral oil.
Will using mineral oil after using synthetic oil create any issues with the engine ?
Anyways , i guess you were lucky enough to notice the issue and get it fixed .

Cheers.
Old 17th April 2012, 23:32   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Any chance the filter was not properly fitted etc. The posts before mentioned the oil filter change at 60K. May be it was not fitted properly.I had a similar issue with the fuel filter of my 800 which leaked fuel because it was not fitted securely enough.
Naah, the filter was fitted properly, it was just that the filter seal gave up, could be due the the pressure generated in the filter under heavy acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Woo hoo! That was a narrow escape, isn't it? Good that you noticed the leak at the right moment (sharp eyes I should say) preventing the engine from suffering extensive damage.

Less than a month back, a friend of mine had his Verna's engines engulfed in thick smoke in the middle of the road which was later traced to a faulty oil filter and oil seal.
Yep, it was very lucky of me to notice this in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Will using mineral oil after using synthetic oil create any issues with the engine ?
Anyways , i guess you were lucky enough to notice the issue and get it fixed .

Cheers.
I do not think it will cause any issue as such. I have anyway, decided to use the mineral oil for coming 5,000 kms and I will switch back to Shell after that.

Gaurav had a word with the aftermarket guy from which we bought the oil filter and he said there is a chance we could write to the company and claim our losses. Wishful thinking I say, but I will atleast try.

Anyway, I noticed my thread is running dry of some pics. Here are a couple of pics of my present car and my (hopefully, fingers crossed!) future car together.

My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2304.jpg

My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2305.jpg

My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2308.jpg

My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2306.jpg

I so badly want this beast to come into my garage. Expect it happening very soon else it will not happen at all...

Last edited by Ace F355 : 17th April 2012 at 23:37.
Old 17th April 2012, 23:43   #465
BHPian

@ACE

You removed the bodykit ?
Something happened to it ?
Any chances of it coming back on ??

And also could you suggest me what stuff to get from bangkok from rstyles or any other shop you know of for my Rocket ??
Planning for a trip to Singa. Bangkok and so on in coming months.

My rocket is just 10k kms behind your odo reading As of today it completed exact 50,000kms.
Closed Thread