Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 26th April 2012, 07:28   #1486
BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
So yaji...when is the booking date ?!!
After lots of dilly dallying between the facelifted model and the previous model, I ended up booking the Classic fortuner (Silver Mica)
I know, i know that VSC is a great safety feature which i may end up missing but most of everything else was a put off for me....and when i visited the showroom it reiterated when i saw both the models side by side.

Expecting the delivery at the end of next week. Will be modifying the ICE to have USB functionality (similar to dkaile's but with xcarlink stuff). Even ordered this stuff as i plan a 1K kms drive the next day of delivery and i want to have my music while i drive which is all stored on a USB MP3 player.

None of the aftermarket head units impress me when i compare them to the Tablets available today so i did some lookup on the web and felt that using a Tab may be a better choice than a head unit. Also spares me the trouble of making any change to the stock ICE except for the USB compatibility.
Now studying Tabs and the pro's and con's and seems like i may end up with the Galaxy Tab 720. Could not see any of the T-Fort owners thinking of a Tab as an alternative to the after market ICE system so was wondering whether I' am not on the right track or whether I' am missing some point....
Old 26th April 2012, 08:26   #1487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaji View Post
After lots of dilly dallying between the facelifted model and the previous model, I ended up booking the Classic fortuner (Silver Mica)...
Let me...sir...be the first one to congratulate you ! And welcome Admiral's identical twin to the fold in advance.
Yaji - may you and all those who ride in your vehicle have a fabulous time of your lives in it. Wishing you the very best. Good luck !

No clue of the ICE matters except the cubes that go into a glass for liquids of various kinds. I am sure the experts here on the forum would push you gently in the right direction.

Also to all Togo Channel Directors, Subscribers & Viewers - Celebrations and raise a toast ! This is Page No. 100 of the thread - ushered in by Yaji. Congratulations to all of you and thanks for being around.
Old 26th April 2012, 08:36   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaji

After lots of dilly dallying between the facelifted model and the previous model, I ended up booking the Classic fortuner (Silver Mica)
Is the classic model still available?
Old 26th April 2012, 08:53   #1489
BHPian

Quote:
Let me...sir...be the first one to congratulate you ! And welcome Admiral's identical twin to the fold in advance.
Yaji - may you and all those who ride in your vehicle have a fabulous time of your lives in it. Wishing you the very best. Good luck !
Thanks for your wishes Guderian. Togo channel played a very large role in my decision to buy the Fortuner against all other available choices for an SUV at this price point (which are anyways very very few).

Your take on ICE is humorous as usual. It took some time for me initially to understand what exactly ICE expanded into (or is it melted into) but eventually figured it out

on a side note, I also saw the Etios interiors while at the showroom (i' am neither a Sedan nor a Hatchback person) and the storage looked very good on it when compared to the Fortuner ! They even have stuff like cooler for the glove box and stuff like that which is very much practical (something like what the XUV 5OO has) . May be Fortuner owners are NOT supposed to get used to stuff like that as they drive a rugged vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Is the classic model still available?
I think very few classic models are still available till the dealer empties the stocks. The dealer that i went to had 2 No.s of the classic model in stock and once i buy he will be left with 1 No. of the Super white in stock.
yaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 14:49   #1490
BHPian

Yaji

So classic it is. Congratulations. Personally never liked the looks of the new one but additional features are a pulling point towards the newer one. It must have been a tough call to make. Now sit back and enjoy the ride .

General saab.

Congratulations for the 100th page. An epic is in the making here ... Maximus sends greetings to Admiral.
Old 26th April 2012, 14:57   #1491
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2012 at 12:16.
sirius1845 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th April 2012, 17:53   #1492
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. For the Fortuner you need Coleman cooler boxes, tents, mattresses, bbq kits, tripod etc. stored at the back. Who cares about cooled gloveboxes?
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 19:18   #1493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on a SUPERB choice.
Quote:
Celebrations and raise a toast ! This is Page No. 100 of the thread - ushered in by Yaji. Congratulations to all of you and thanks for being around.
Cheers to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Congratulations. For the Fortuner you need Coleman cooler boxes, tents, mattresses, bbq kits, tripod etc. stored at the back. Who cares about cooled gloveboxes?
You are so right. We don't need cooled glove boxes in the Fortuner as yaji will note that it has cup holders below the side air vents which chill the Pepsi Can just as quick as the cooled glove box in my Superb. So in effect these are just 'chochlas' that manufacturers resort to, to sell their vehicles. A 'fridge' would have been a different matter (a la S Class). What matters in the end is the superlative drive, trouble free existence and supreme reliability of the Toyota brand.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 19:44   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Well i surely will store up the tent and tripod in my fortuner. Will just find it hard it pull it out of my present ride (scorpio) as it has been with me through all my drives into all kinds of odd places without really troubling me much.

Like i said, the Etios glove box thing was a side note since i always find it hard to store things when i go out with 7 people and i loose the 3rd row storage option. And honestly i found the Fortuner glove box to be too small even when compared to my present ride. I suppose eventually everything will be gotten used to

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congratulations on a SUPERB choice.
Cheers to that.
Thanks very much dkaile.
It was the TOGO channel, Nilanjan's, Manuuj's and your posts which made me finally decide on the Fortuner I would have probably spent a major part of my free time (and probably good amount of work time too !) in the last 1 1/2 months reading all those posts. My wife who was observing the team-bhp site on my laptop screen all the time asked me "is Toyota selling the Fortuner online now since it looks like you will be making the purchase online itself"

Note From Team-BHP Support Team: Only TWO emoticons are allowed per post. Please stick to it. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd May 2012 at 22:19. Reason: See note in post :)
yaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 20:40   #1495
BHPian

Congrats Guderian & Togo for hitting the century! Time to celebrate with Imposing pics of Admiral.

Congrats Yaji for the classic T Fort. This one is pretty close to my heart and i feel it has some character. The Classic's Grill, headlights, Tail-lights blend very well with the rest of the body.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 16:35   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Now studying Tabs and the pro's and con's and seems like i may end up with the Galaxy Tab 720. Could not see any of the T-Fort owners thinking of a Tab as an alternative to the after market ICE system so was wondering whether I' am not on the right track or whether I' am missing some point....
Congratulations on joining the Classic Fortuner Family. It is a no-nonsense vehicle with great performance and reliability. Even the FE is pretty good for a vehicle this size. Look forward to a detailed thread by you now on the acquisition and ownership.

The OE System is easily taken by the Accessories shops in exchange for the a system that you buy from them. I suggest you go for the Pioneer P4250 DVD that gives you the freedom to play Cd's, Mp3's, DVD's, USB etc.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-music-sysytem.jpg

..and for 1000/- more a reverse camera option which is a real boon trust me.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-rear-camera-view.jpg

If you are planning a 1000 km trip do remember to have the Fort taken to a Toyota Dealer for a check up right after for its 1000 km look over. Also i remember that the balancing on my wheels was out when i took delivery back in 2009 which caused some slight wobbling in the steering at speeds over 80 kmph.

I suggest you have that checked and done (for free) at the workshop itself when you take delivery. Ask them to check the alignment also to be sure.

Just a reminder also that the tyre pressure to be maintained is 32 psi.

Congratulations once again! *thumbs up*

Quote:
Also to all Togo Channel Directors, Subscribers & Viewers - Celebrations and raise a toast ! This is Page No. 100 of the thread - ushered in by Yaji. Congratulations to all of you and thanks for being around.
Century maar li? Wheres the Party? Congratulations Admiral and Herr General!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd May 2012 at 22:16. Reason: Note: Only TWO smilies allowed per post.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 17:46   #1497
BHPian

Post Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Hail Guderian!

Good going for the TOGO Channel, & its popularity seems to have hit the charts! 100 is good.
Wonder where have the rest of the directors gone?

Quote:
None of the aftermarket head units impress me when i compare them to the Tablets available today
Hey Yaji,
Congrats on the Purchase..and welcome to the TFort Club!

IMO, if you are looking for an external MMI device to hookup to the existing system & play your music; have you considered the new Navigator Gadgets like Map My India and the likes. HG has also a similar concoction on the Admiral (check out his earlier posts). So, apart from the road maps, you will also get the multimedia features & the works..
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 18:54   #1498
BHPian

Lightbulb Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hey Yaji,
Congrats on the Purchase..and welcome to the TFort Club!

IMO, if you are looking for an external MMI device to hookup to the existing system & play your music; have you considered the new Navigator Gadgets like Map My India and the likes. HG has also a similar concoction on the Admiral (check out his earlier posts). So, apart from the road maps, you will also get the multimedia features & the works..
Thanks Monaro CV8
For the ICE i was thinking of hooking up a Galaxy TAB 630 or 720 along with the stock ICE. There are contraptions available (with the suction cup mechanism) which help in holding a Tablet on an Automobile. This is similar to the MMI holding contraption.

Below are the points which make me consider a tab seriously :
1. These tablets have very high resolution screens and a fantastic display clarity.
2. Can play anything and everything.
3. Can be easily detached and carried off from the car
4. Customization and Apps from Android market
5. Maps can be loaded too if needed.
and over and above all a very reasonable price for all those features.

I have already ordered the adapter for USB / SD / AUX.

I was looking at the Pro's and Con's for this from experts over here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Congratulations on joining the Classic Fortuner Family. It is a no-nonsense vehicle with great performance and reliability. Even the FE is pretty good for a vehicle this size. Look forward to a detailed thread by you now on the acquisition and ownership.

The OE System is easily taken by the Accessories shops in exchange for the a system that you buy from them. I suggest you go for the Pioneer P4250 DVD that gives you the freedom to play Cd's, Mp3's, DVD's, USB etc.
..and for 1000/- more a reverse camera option which is a real boon trust me.

If you are planning a 1000 km trip do remember to have the Fort taken to a Toyota Dealer for a check up right after for its 1000 km look over. Also i remember that the balancing on my wheels was out when i took delivery back in 2009 which caused some slight wobbling in the steering at speeds over 80 kmph.
I suggest you have that checked and done (for free) at the workshop itself when you take delivery. Ask them to check the alignment also to be sure.
Just a reminder also that the tyre pressure to be maintained is 32 psi.

Congratulations once again!
Thanks Manuuj. Yours was one of the threads i read from start to end before i decided on the Fortuner, so thanks a lot for sharing all those experiences which made me decide for the Fortuner. I' am not sure that i have the writing skills to start and maintain an ownership thread the way you guys do it. Hats off to you guys

Regarding the ICE, like i mentioned above, i' am fiddling with the idea of hooking up a Galaxy TAB for a couple of reasons i mentioned above...but i have not seen anyone else here thinking of doing that so i was wondering whether there is something wrong with doing this....except for the reverse camera thing everything else and more is possible with a TAB.
As an afterthought, there may also be some contraption available which can hookup the reverse camera too onto a Tab

There was a time when i wanted to make a carpc and integrate that into my car but with the advent of Tablets that will be a dumb decision to make now.

I will take care of the tyre pressure and the balance issue when i take delivery. Thanks for the tip.

Note From Team-BHP Support Team: Only TWO emoticons are allowed per post. Please stick to it. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd May 2012 at 22:18. Reason: See note in post :)
Old 28th April 2012, 09:50   #1499
BHPian

How would you change tracks and other settings on the tab (hooked on contraption) while driving? I am sure it will be cumbersome and deviating. The height of the tab wont be comfortable to operate while driving and can be highly distracting. I suggest to invest in a good after market unit (like that of manuuj) which will be easier to operate, no hanging/mounting stuff (clean looks/safe,), will come with remote/steering controls etc/ reverse camera friendly and above all the output will be far better and the sound settings/options would be immense. Pre-outs would help you to add amps and subs very easily whenever you wish!

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 28th April 2012 at 09:52.
Old 28th April 2012, 16:19   #1500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
How would you change tracks and other settings on the tab (hooked on contraption) while driving? I am sure it will be cumbersome and deviating. The height of the tab wont be comfortable to operate while driving and can be highly distracting. I suggest to invest in a good after market unit (like that of manuuj) which will be easier to operate, no hanging/mounting stuff (clean looks/safe,), will come with remote/steering controls etc/ reverse camera friendly and above all the output will be far better and the sound settings/options would be immense. Pre-outs would help you to add amps and subs very easily whenever you wish!
I agree with both the points above especially the safety factor of using the music system without taking hands of the steering wheel. Its a safer more durable option in my honest opinion.

The very day i had this system with reverse camera fitted i was reversing out of my driveway. Infact i was stationary and had just engaged reverse and had looked at the screen to help me reverse when i got the shock of my life. My gardeners grandchild who had recently started walking was sitting right behind my rear bumper playing. He had been left in the lawn and strayed onto the driveway for shade.

If i had did not have the advantage of the rear view camera i would have probably reversed over the child, who had no idea of knowing he was doing something dangerous. I froze in my seat and thanked providence for saving that childs life and me from unimaginable guilt. It was the best investment i ever made.
Manuuj is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread