Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2012, 08:16   #1546
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hey F150, Why disappointed ? In any vehicle higher the speed lower the FE. Same when the speed drops below the optimum range. Want to get a fabulous return stay in the range. In the Fortuner it is of course 70-90 KMPH. In my old Zen it was 45-55 KMPH and in the Scorpio CRDe 60-80 KMPH.
Well, I was expecting to see something in the range of 11-12Kmpl for 120 - 140 KMPH range, general saheb. I had read few reports on the forum about Laura's returning 15Kmpl at speeds of 120-140kmph, that was the rationale behind my expectation.

Quote:
But then of course the flip side is you reach two days after the party is over just in time to pay the bills. And calls for extreme patience of course.
So true,cant put it better. Driving for better FE takes the fun out of the drive. If I drive my swift D at 90-100kph, I would see an FE upwards of 20, I am happy with the 18kpml it returns at speeds of 120kmph. Cant compare my swift to the mighty admiral.

Quote:
Admiral peeking into the temple to seek blessings from the Devi which were showered by her with of the LoH performing a small ritual.
Attachment 930016
This pic is not loading general saheb.

Quote:
Admiral loves greenery.And other colours too.Quite a eco friendly chap.
What a stroke saheb, glimmers of your literary genius.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:27   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
1.Well, I was expecting to see something in the range of 11-12Kmpl for 120 - 140 KMPH range, general saheb. I had read few reports on the forum about Laura's returning 15Kmpl at speeds of 120-140kmph, that was the rationale behind my expectation.

2. This pic is not loading general saheb.

3. What a stroke saheb, glimmers of your literary genius.
Hey F150,
1. Well I guess the fact remains that the figures are an approximation at best. And when you drive you are in a wide range thanks to the conditions even on the best of roads in India. To be fair to the Ol' Boy and Fortuners in general - I feel if you are able to hold steady at 120-130 KMPH you should still get about 11.5 KMPL. But then when you reach those speeds you tend to go beyond it. But then strictly not advisable ! Stay within sane, recommended speed limits please.
Can't of course compare it to a sedan - weight and other factors.

2. Double click on the attachment and it opens in a new window. Loading fine on this side.
In case you are still not able to see it...here it is again:
Name:  F.JPG
Views: 1463
Size:  83.0 KB

3. Darn & curses ! That should have read as - "Quite an eco friendly chap."

Last edited by Guderian : 21st May 2012 at 10:40.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 13:08   #1548
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 11-12Kmpl for 120 - 140

@ F150

This is a 2 ton SUV with permanent 4WD. Not a much lighter sedan or cross-over.

I fail to understand how you can expect even more FE at such speeds on Indian highways.
Old 21st May 2012, 15:01   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray
@ F150

This is a 2 ton SUV with permanent 4WD. Not a much lighter sedan or cross-over.

I fail to understand how you can expect even more FE at such speeds on Indian highways.
Yes, I agree. Permanent 4WD does change the equation.
I had explained the rationale behind my expectation in my previous post. As explained by the general saheb, 11.5kmpl is achievable if we maintain constant speeds.
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:20   #1550
Senior - BHPian

'allo Folks,
While you may have read here that Admiral completed 25K KMs milestone somewhere between Calicut (Kozhikode) and Thalaserry on May 11, 2012 - I realised that I had forgotten to put up the customary statistics here on crossing the milestone - possibly because I was driving at that time and the traffic was thicker than a native Mallu's accent !
But then to make ammends here are the stats at 26.5K KMs.

Total fuel (Diesel) consumed till date - 2561.35 Lts.
Total Cost of Fuel - Rs. 1,13,854.54
Average FE for the total period - 10.35 KMPL.
Average FE for the total period as per MID - 10.63 KMPL.

Total Cost of Servicing (Including Wheel Alignment) - Rs.8,014.00
Total number of services till date - 6.
PUC (2) - Rs. 240.00

Year 2 Insurance - Rs. 26,020.00
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:07   #1551
BHPian

Good to see that Admiral got to stretch its legs in our beautiful South. Almost 4000 kms is quite a trip i must say (3945.7 to be exact).

There was no harm in having Admiral serviced in a Toyota Service station elsewhere General. Mainly because the 25 k service is a minor one with just some cleaning and topping up required but more so because Toyota service is pretty standardised across all its workshops. I am sure some workshops are better than others as they may be larger or more experienced but overall the level of service is very satisfactory in all the outstation ones I've been to.

Under 700/- for a service is quite a deal isnt it?

Did they not wash your the Admiral by the way? There wasn't any mention of it from you..

Toyota Service is the reason i snicker when people compare Mitsubishi as a competitor. The new issue of Autocar boldly stated "Fortuner rival finally here- Pajero Sport".

Does Mitsubishi really have the same level of commitment and investment in India like Toyota?

Toyota has more than 150 dealerships across 92 cities in India. There are about 14 Toyota workshops or showrooms in all in the NCR alone. That level of commitment from a company deserves recognition as it stands for something.

Mitsubishi had a mere 26 dealers up until March 2010. They've inaugurated 14 dealerships since, and plan to bring 22 more by March 2011.

With this, HM-Mitsubishi will have 62 dealerships in total across India which is even less than half of Toyota's.

My Qualis is 9 years old and a discontinued model to boot but i send it to the Service station like any other car and all services are carried out and parts changed as per schedule. No fuss - No drama.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 11:02   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
1. There was no harm in having Admiral serviced in a Toyota Service station elsewhere General.

2. Under 700/- for a service is quite a deal isnt it ?

3. Did they not wash your the Admiral by the way? There wasn't any mention of it from you..

4. Toyota Service.

5. My Qualis is 9 years old...
Hi Manuuj,
Good to have you back here.

1. Had quite a bit of apprehension initially, of visiting an ASC outside the base port as it went against my travel SOP. But in the end I am glad I went in for it as the service was good and I quite enjoyed the experience. Now I have a wee bit more confidence to tinker with the travel SOP vis a vis servicing as long as it is not a major service and it is with a Toyota arm.

2. You can say that again !
I have been quite flummoxed by the low rates of Toyota service charges in general, which is quite contrary to my expectations. But I guess the X5K KMs services are soft check ups and the XOK KMs services are the big ones with oil/filter replacements etc. The next one will be a costly one. But yeah again overall, under normal circumstances, quite low and eye popping in a positive manner.
(Gulp... Our goose would be cooked if Uncle Toyota reads this and decides to increase the rates/service charges !)

3. As mentioned in the write up - I begged and pleaded with them not to wash Admiral as there was a long line at the wash point and it would have taken the better part of 3 hours to get it done - time I could spend fruitfully counting coconuts at home or swatting bugs off Admiral for entertainment. Of course with Admiral getting washed almost every day out there and to the best of my abilities, twisting and crouching, under the chasis HP wash too, meant that it was not really required.

4. Truly so. Am begining to appreciate T Service these days after the initial days of cynicism.

5. The snap of your Qualis on the Fortuner thread was magnificient. As admired even before - what a delightfully well maintained and good looking vehicle. Very nice indeed. Keep it for as long as you can - sure going to be a collector's item any day now.

Last edited by Guderian : 24th May 2012 at 11:08.
Old 26th May 2012, 00:47   #1553
Senior - BHPian

General HG,

I had read reports on the forum about ALTIS requiring brake pads change every 20K kms.
Admiral is much bigger and heavier, how are the brake pads holding up after 25K kms ?

NOTE: Comparison is only TOYOTA|TOYOTA not a sedan|suv comparison.
Old 26th May 2012, 17:04   #1554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post

On the way back, Admiral at another temple, the Snake Temple at Mannarsala.
Oh my my! Looks like I've missed your declared prize by whiskers. I belong to the Mannarasala temple family.

Anyway Congratulations for your great trip of >4000Kms. You've maintained your steed well.

Last edited by Vasuki : 26th May 2012 at 17:07.
Old 26th May 2012, 22:59   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
General HG,
I had read reports on the forum about ALTIS requiring brake pads change every 20K kms.
Admiral is much bigger and heavier, how are the brake pads holding up after 25K kms ?
Hi F150,
The last time the brakes were opened up for regular checks and maintenance (cleaning) was at 20K KMs. Was informed that the brake pads looked very good and would hold out well for another 20-25K KMs. I guess it would be at around 40/45K KMs when a call would be taken to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Oh my my! Looks like I've missed your declared prize by whiskers. I belong to the Mannarasala temple family.
Anyway Congratulations for your great trip of >4000Kms. You've maintained your steed well.
Hi Vasuki,
Thanks for you kind comments.

OT
(Sorry ! But can't resist it. Just goes to prove how small the world has been turned by technology and wonderful forums like ours. Hooray T-BHP !)

Vasuki - Small world indeed. My family (in- Laws) have been associated with Mannarsala Temple and the family (Subramanyam Thirimeni) for decades. In fact on every visit of ours (self, wife and offspring in tow) to those parts we visit Thirimeni's home (Ahem...my chief interest, among other spiritual pursuits, being the delectable lunch served to us - never miss the heavenly fare their home).
In fact the Annual Pooja and all rituals of our family temple at Chavara are conducted and overseen by Subramanyam Thirimeni and family. A few snaps from the Annual Pooja this year - you will of course recognise the folks...!
Name:  DSC00870.JPG
Views: 1236
Size:  227.4 KB
Name:  DSC00146.JPG
Views: 1275
Size:  294.3 KB
Name:  DSC00132.JPG
Views: 1219
Size:  258.5 KB
Name:  DSC00127.JPG
Views: 1189
Size:  241.0 KB

Next time we shall indeed meet.

Last edited by Guderian : 26th May 2012 at 23:04.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 22:07   #1556
Senior - BHPian

A Back Breaking Sunday to Remember or The Battery Kerfuffle - May 27, 2012.

After the long drive, had to thoroughly clean up the insides of Admiral today.
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 2211
Size:  325.1 KB

The car vac saw tonnes of fine sand from Kerala & other places being collected deep in its bowels.

As it was over a year since Admiral started its operations decided to check all the wiring especially sensor wire ends and sure enough as expected many of them had slowly peeking out of the protective wrappings. And as learned from the Scorpio if not corrected - can at the most unexpected time cause immense grief. And exposed sensor & other wires in the engine bay cause me immense discomfort. Called for action.
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 1201
Size:  243.4 KB

Tried to check visually all the possible explosed wires which were slowly begining to peek out from the factory wrapped protection/s and wrapped them with Steel Grip. Caught quite a few.

At the fuel filter:
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 1566
Size:  261.5 KB

MAFS ( Atop the air filter):
Name:  4.JPG
Views: 1105
Size:  245.4 KB

At the turbo:
Name:  5.JPG
Views: 1127
Size:  310.2 KB
Name:  6.JPG
Views: 1097
Size:  307.0 KB
Name:  8.JPG
Views: 1075
Size:  250.4 KB
Name:  9.JPG
Views: 1105
Size:  310.4 KB

It was at this time that I noticed that there was some leakage around the battery. Instinctively knew what it was - battery acid ! And quite a bit of it. To be sure ran my finger tip through it. Felt the salts and felt a light burning at the finger tip. Confirmed.
Name:  91.JPG
Views: 1235
Size:  233.2 KB

Checked the battery top - no leakage from the vent caps. Opened the top vent caps with a coin. Water levels seemed OK. So was assuming the worst. Cracked battery case. But how ? The battery was securely anchored. And the water levels seemed OK.If the case had cracked due to whatever reason then the entire fluid should have drained off. The other reason - boiling over/out through gas side vents.
Whatever the reason the battery had to be removed and checked. Heavy equipment was called for as the company supplied tool kit was more of a nuisance. Absolutely irritating to use.
Name:  92.JPG
Views: 1121
Size:  297.7 KB
Name:  93.JPG
Views: 1113
Size:  288.8 KB

Terminals disconnected: (Negative first and Positive next.)
Name:  10.JPG
Views: 1061
Size:  281.3 KB
Name:  15.JPG
Views: 1119
Size:  292.2 KB

Meanwhile a frame nut fell from my fumbling hands deep into one of the recesses. Despaired - when I suddenly remembered a nifty device. A magnetic, telescopic pick up/retriever. The nut was recovered in a jiffy from the bowels of the engine bay.
Name:  13.JPG
Views: 1043
Size:  218.3 KB
Name:  14.JPG
Views: 1050
Size:  217.5 KB

Battery and battery tray checked and cleaned:
Name:  17.JPG
Views: 1037
Size:  314.0 KB

A view of the area where the battery fluids flew !
Name:  18.JPG
Views: 992
Size:  259.7 KB
Name:  19.JPG
Views: 1054
Size:  230.8 KB
Name:  20.JPG
Views: 989
Size:  251.4 KB
Name:  21.JPG
Views: 978
Size:  267.6 KB

The entire area was washed and dried thrice.

As all this was on - I was still struggling with the reason. Excess fluids ? Overcharging ? Regulator faulty ? Cracked battery case ?
Called up the Toyota help line. The first chap on the line very helpfully suggested towing to the nearest ASC assuming that the battery was dead - though I had explained everything to him. Re-explained that - battery was not dead, water level was fine, cranking was fine, engine was starting. Very innocently he asked me as to then what was the problem. He had forgotten about the acid all round the countryside !
Anyway he then put me on to a Techie with whom I went through the entire rigmarole, but was of help and a knowledgeable bloke, and we went about eliminating all the reasons one by one. The only plausible reason surmised could be of venting of excess battery fluids thanks to the ambient heat and possibly some bad jumps over roads bumps or some such thing. Coming to think of it couple of days ago in blazing heat in Mumbai had sailed over a nasty hump which was a camouflaged offering from the municipal corporation at a good speed. But anyway that I am not sure about - and so it was discussed that the battery be cleaned, placed back and kept under observation for couple of days.
And so it was done. Battery fixed:(Positive terminal first, negative last)
Name:  22.JPG
Views: 993
Size:  200.7 KB
Name:  23.JPG
Views: 981
Size:  304.5 KB
Name:  24.JPG
Views: 957
Size:  198.4 KB
Name:  25.JPG
Views: 987
Size:  308.6 KB

Admiral started at/with half a crank.

Would land up at the ASC one of these days for a thorough check and to see if there are any effects of the corrosive liquid on any of the rubber/plastic components. Though nothing is visible to me - I think a couple of platic clips may need replacement.
Will also touch up the area the paint has been discoloured by the acid.

Realised then that the automatic feature of the driver's window winder needed to be 'normalised' as described in the manual (once battery is diconnected this feature goes on the blink and needs to be 'normalised' - page 21 of the manual !). Done by keeping the switch pulled up for 5 seconds, with the window would up fully.
Name:  26.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  225.3 KB
Also the radio channels needed to be reset, as well as the MID clock etc.
Name:  27.JPG
Views: 1063
Size:  294.1 KB

The trip had also ensured that Admiral received a fair share of paint chips on his uniform thanks to the flying debris from our highways. Some of them, the bad ones, were lightly touched up:
Name:  28.JPG
Views: 992
Size:  164.2 KB

And after about 5 odd hours Admiral was ready again to face the world.
Name:  29.JPG
Views: 973
Size:  232.6 KB
Name:  30.JPG
Views: 1074
Size:  277.8 KB

Boy ! Lifting and shifting ol' boy Sparks (the battery, to landlubbers) sure did wonders for my back. Brokeback...ummm...Mountain ? No, not quite.

Thank God for my Sunday routine - a major problem possibly nipped in the bud perhaps.

Coming week would see quite a bit of running around for the Admiral and a visit to the ASC. And with the battery under watch - it should be fun !

Aloha.

Last edited by Guderian : 27th May 2012 at 22:28.
Guderian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 07:55   #1557
Senior - BHPian

A very nice routine maintenance Herr' Generale'! It does seem like battery water boiling out in extreme heat conditions rather than any major issue. Well done to have taken immediate corrective action. The 'normalisation' of the window is a very nice tip for all of us Fortuner owners to remember.

That telescopic magnetic retriever is a great tool and I need that asap as one of my stereo screws is deep down in the bowels of the Fortuner, lolz. It had dropped there when I had fitted the ipod connector and I had fitted the stereo on 3 nuts as I couldn't retrieve the missing 4th one. Do let me know where it can be procured (some link to buy etc.).

Thanks for a nice detailed and helpful post. Keep revving and posting...
Old 28th May 2012, 11:44   #1558
Senior - BHPian

^^
Edit: I finally got this Extendable Telescopic Light Magnetic Long Comfortable Black Pick Up Tool C | eBay from ebay for around 300 bucks. Seems good. Thanks for the idea for a telescopic magnetic retriever.
Old 28th May 2012, 14:00   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
A very nice routine maintenance Herr' Generale'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Thanks for the idea for a telescopic magnetic retriever.
Hi dkaile,
Thanks. Was good fun.
Glad that you were able to locate the magnetic retriever or pick up tool.
In addition to the Craftsman magnetic pickup tool I also have this pick up tool which is also worth its weight in gold. Has saved me many a blushes picking up things and wires etc from inaccessible spots.

Craftsman® Flexible Pick-Up Tool with Spring Jaws -

Very handy indeed to grasp and pull out plastic stuff.
Old 29th May 2012, 06:22   #1560
Senior - BHPian

And with the battery under observation yesterday did an almost 100 KMs run on an assignment and checked the battery post the run. Everything seemed fine.
Name:  DSC00392.JPG
Views: 1798
Size:  301.1 KB

And an 'outstanding' visit to the Toyota ASC...
...and literally that is what it turned out to be !
Name:  DSC00393.JPG
Views: 871
Size:  247.3 KB

Not wanting to take a chance dropped in at the ASC on my way back for a quick check. Ahhh...the joys of living close by to the ASC. Had already phoned the Head Technician in advance and had threatened him with a quick 'check up visit' or as they call it - for 'running/run-in repairs'. Parked Admiral outside and saw a very, very busy ASC inside with a zillion vehicles under various stages of undress. Was wondering whether I would get any attention at all. Needn't have worried as by now I am a familiar face (Mr. Pest) round these parts and Admiral an admired denizen of the national highways. Soon enough my regular SA came scampering across. Mentioned the issue and my chat with the Head-T. In no time had a couple of Mechs peering into Admiral's innards.
Name:  DSC00398.JPG
Views: 867
Size:  288.4 KB
Externals of the battery checked and cleared.

Probed for SG - Specific Gravity. Water level checked and adjusted.
Name:  DSC00399.JPG
Views: 861
Size:  314.2 KB
Name:  DSC00400.JPG
Views: 883
Size:  157.7 KB

Meanwhile the Head-T landed up with the diagnostic tool. Hooked up.
Name:  DSC00402.JPG
Views: 1756
Size:  268.8 KB

And all vital parameters checked:
Name:  DSC00401.JPG
Views: 860
Size:  250.5 KB
Name:  DSC00403.JPG
Views: 977
Size:  279.5 KB
All found to be 'A-OK'. Especially alternator charging.

Ol' boy Sparks seems to be in a mighty fit condition. After all the discussions - it seems it could be just a case of a simple 'spurt'...ummm... of battery fluids, even though the level was fine, possibly was a combination of circumstances. High ambient temperature meant that the fluids were on the boil and gas was being discharged from the side vent and at that very moment I went over a road bump in a rather cavalier manner (which indeed had happened ) and all the fluids were displaced and the rushing gases forced some out ,causing it to spray all over. Nothing more, nothing less. One of those things, really.

But Sparks did cause a lil' bit of constrenation though.
Name:  DSC00404.JPG
Views: 815
Size:  276.1 KB

I had to explain about Admiral's name plate and the history behind it.
Name:  DSC00395.JPG
Views: 873
Size:  187.8 KB

Order has been placed for the two corroded rubber tube holder (plastic) clips which will be picked up on Thursday.

Truly an 'outstanding' check up as Admiral wasn't even wheeled into the ASC. And carried out without even the littlest of fuss in about 30 minutes.

My admiration for the Toyota ASCs and their ways grows.

Last edited by Guderian : 29th May 2012 at 06:26.
Closed Thread