Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2012, 09:23   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Educational in terms of preventive maintenance and regular check-ups. I should do that more. Only time I open the bonnet is before I go for a long drive, or in the morning after my vehicle is parked in the jungle.
Old 29th May 2012, 22:40   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Only time I open the bonnet...
And hence the sincere advice to all owners of multiple wheels - at least once a week to open the bonnet and just look around. Not that you have to do anything great - but at least you know if something is amiss or out of place and scream for help.
Goes a long, long way.
Old 4th June 2012, 13:06   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Now di this.
Came across this site recently. An armour protected Toyota Fortuner !

Manufacturers Bullet proof Ford Endeavour India,bulletproof endeavour suppliers,bullet proof vehicles manufacturing India

Liked the snaps and the work done. Though I know it'll be hell on the FE (would be around 6 KMPL, I suppose) and clutch parts besides the strain on the engine I guess.
Old 4th June 2012, 18:32   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Now di this.
Came across this site recently. An armour protected Toyota Fortuner !

Manufacturers Bullet proof Ford Endeavour India,bulletproof endeavour suppliers,bullet proof vehicles manufacturing India
Can hardly make out the difference in the snaps except in the snap with the boot open. But i guess that is the way it should be else there is no point.

Considering that the SUVs are the favoured mode of transport for the white clothed/gold chains class i think the company might be doing good business.
Old 5th June 2012, 06:28   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Can hardly make out the difference in the snaps except in the snap with the boot open...
Hi Amit, Well, I can see quite a few changes from the stock - must be because of seeing Admiral day in and out.
Apart from the rear hatch protection, look at the rear - side windows (rearmost seat windows) all boarded up with a manual view port, the driver's side glass and passenger side glass, front and rear windshields - all changed for a thicker substitute as evidenced by a different beading.
The metal skin toughening - armour protection - they would have provided full door inserts (6 mm SS) at the sides and at some points around the engine bay.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 08:35   #1566
Senior - BHPian

All right then so Admiral had a rather busy (last) week with lot of running around on official and domestic chores. And Mumbai traffic is certainly not getting easier by the day. Huge snarls everywhere and at anytime of the day. Murder on the FE and a testing time for the vehicle and its drivability. Came out good on both counts though.
Name:  DSC00406.JPG
Views: 1063
Size:  268.8 KB

Battery was under watch - but everything was hunky dory.
Name:  DSC00410.JPG
Views: 1119
Size:  258.8 KB

As mentioned earlier thanks to the spilling of the battery fluid/acid, I had noticed that two of the plastic ' fuel tube clips/holders' had completely corroded. Suprisingly I was told at the ASC that the fluid doesn't corrode anything...anyway ! Had ordered the clips at the ASC during the check up visit earlier on and was informed it would take sometime to arrive. Funny but simpler items take quite a bit of doing to get - would have been easier to order a new engine I thought !
Since the tubes it held up or supported were fuel both lines and I didn't want to take a chance and so applied some horse sense jugaad/s learnt from the Scorpio days. A sling support which kept the two tubes apart as well supported them and kept them away from other nearby tubes and hoses.
Name:  DSC00414.JPG
Views: 1102
Size:  315.9 KB
Name:  DSC00415.JPG
Views: 1060
Size:  350.2 KB

Apart from that the mighty heart was thumping away gloriously.
Name:  DSC00416.JPG
Views: 1015
Size:  297.2 KB

Couple of days ago the friendly Tech Head informed me that those infernal clips were taking time to come as it was an unusual order (what ?!!) and I gently reminded him of a long trip in the offing towards the third week of the month, whereupon he mentioned that he would arrange for it from the demo Fortuner, which he did and gave me a ring last Saturday to come in and pick it up anytime.

Had some spare time yesterday and popped in at the ASC.
Name:  DSC00426.JPG
Views: 1005
Size:  253.5 KB

One of the old corroded clips:
Name:  DSC00420.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  195.3 KB
Name:  DSC00421.JPG
Views: 973
Size:  264.8 KB

The other one had fallen off somewhere after the battery had shed tears.

New 'old' clips inserted in place:
Name:  DSC00424.JPG
Views: 957
Size:  263.9 KB
Name:  DSC00425.JPG
Views: 947
Size:  301.9 KB

Had a thorough check done of the sorrounding tubes, hoses and plastic parts and nothing seemed amiss.
And Admiral looks set for another long drive in about 10 days time.

And when I looked up from all my efforts what do I see ? A near identical twin of the Admiral. 'Near' identical because it's the new kid on the block !
Name:  DSC00427.JPG
Views: 1365
Size:  236.5 KB
Name:  DSC00428.JPG
Views: 1478
Size:  215.2 KB

Enough has said and written about the Classic Fortuner and the New 2012 Fortuner - so I am not going to belabour it again.
But yes I did like the alloys on the new kid:
Name:  DSC00429.JPG
Views: 996
Size:  235.1 KB

'Rear' Admiral/s.
Name:  DSC00430.JPG
Views: 927
Size:  183.5 KB
Name:  DSC00431.JPG
Views: 891
Size:  135.0 KB
Name:  DSC00432.JPG
Views: 928
Size:  193.7 KB

But yes the Fleet Admiral turned up his nose on this one, near twin or not - as it was only a 4X2 city slicker Automatic !
Name:  DSC00433.JPG
Views: 917
Size:  248.2 KB

Aloha.

Last edited by Guderian : 6th June 2012 at 08:56.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 03:41   #1567
BHPian

Hello sirjee it's been a while did go thru a couple of your posts, the Togo channel, it's Star performer and writer/producer/director (you) seem to be doing really well. All the best with your trip. Keep sharing the good work, regards.
Old 8th June 2012, 13:52   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Hello...
Hi Ro,
Yeah, it's been quite a while since you were here.
Thanks for the kind words.
Must say am immensely enjoying the drive till date with Admiral.
Except for the minor battery issue mentioned here - there has not been a single issue with Admiral, nary a peep from it on anything at all. No shakes, no rattles, no rolls - which should have come up in about 14 months and 27K KMs of non stop usage for a behemoth of this size. Feels fresh and as tight as it was on the first day.
The only annoyance I have, as of date, is the thin skin (metal sheet) and paint quality which has a tendency to chip and scuff at the drop of a hat...on it, literally.
So life goes on. I trust everything is fine with your white behemoth. Haven't seen any updates there either.
Old 8th June 2012, 14:33   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guderian,

I read through this thread after a long time. Nice to read that you have crossed 25K kilometres and the Admiral is serving you well. Also equally happy to read that Toyota service is efficient, quick and not too taxing on the pocket.

See you and the Admiral at the mega-meet on the 16th June
Old 8th June 2012, 20:45   #1570
BHPian

Hail HG!

I always wanted to write my first post on your channel - I have been following your thread from the day you started this thread. My profile just got authorized and I am super happy. Thanks to you, Manuuj, Dkaile and Nilanjanray I have booked my 4x4 MT but unfortunately will not get the classic T-Fort. My 'Megalodon' will be delivered hopefully this month and will try my best to keep an updated thread like you all have here.

I got to learn a lot from your thread and will try and employ my learning accordingly.

Too excited to write any more - Just too happy to be here !

Regards and proud to be a part of Team-BHP
Ahmed
Old 9th June 2012, 05:13   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I read through this thread after a long time.
Hi W.A.G.7,
Welcome back...it's been a long time ! Thanks for the observations. Have been reading with interest your Tadoba & Sunny threads but haven't left my scent marks there ! Good going.
To me the Toyota ASC offering has truly come as a surprise and delight. After the initial cynicism (thanks to experience of earlier ASCs from previous vehicles) it has now settled down to an easy going relationship and understanding. And with every interaction the experience seems to be getting better. However I am still being cautious in my pronouncements as one needs to check whether is it only with one particular ASC or across the board and/or whether it is a case of solid improvement of services or just individual based service/s and perceptions. But yes, on a relative basis they are superior indeed.
Costs - I guess one needs to wait and watch as the vehicle ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
I always wanted to write my first post on your channel - I have been following your thread from the day you started this thread.
Hi Ahmed,
What can one say to such a heart warming post on the thread ? But let me attempt !
Firstly - welcome to TBHP. Congratulations on the membership.
Secondly - welcome to Admiral's thread and I am honoured that you have posted your very first post on TBHP here.
Thirdly - Congratulations on booking Megalodon. A unique name no doubt (an extinct species of Shark !) and a superb choice of vehicle I can assure you. Glad to be of help, through the role this thread has played in helping you make up your mind - along with other great/better threads from GTO (official review), Nilanjan, Manuuj, dkaile et al.
Let me assure you that with all the additional goodies - VSC, Navigator etc your new Fortuner will be a great source of delight.
Eagerly await the Megalodon thread with all your experiences.
Good luck and do pick up the delivery day PDI checklist from TBHP to ensure a hassle free experience and a flawless vehicle.
Should you need any additional inputs/help give us a shout.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 12:36   #1572
BHPian

Hi General, Ahmed may be one of the many who have set your thread as a standard and would love to open a long innings through the first post in your thread. Incidentally, this is my first post in T-Bhp. Got my membership approved yesterday. It is an honor for us newbies to get an opportunity to post in the thread & vehicle so lovingly maintained. I have been keenly following your thread and during your trip to Chavara, I was hoping to see the Admiral in flesh, as my office is situated in the highway – the Kollam – Chavara stretch. Back then I was not a member, so lost the opportunity to meet you. May be another time. I own a Honda City 2012 model and have not named him yet.

Reegards
KL01BE
Old 10th June 2012, 17:09   #1573
Senior - BHPian

And this morning...
As usual Admiral underwent his weekly spa treatment, was clean as a whistle or why, even clean as a hound's tooth. Sparkling, bright and whatnot.

We stepped out to run an errand - to South Mumbai and got back in a couple of hours. And what do I see ?
Name:  DSC00442.JPG
Views: 780
Size:  183.8 KB

Which basically means - The Rains are Here.
Admiral's favourite season. Hurrah !
Groan...and more cleaning for the GDW and me.

Brakes, battery, wipers, all fluids, tyres - all checked. And we are set for the glorious Mumbai monsoons.

Ala re paus ala !

Name:  DSC00436.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  319.8 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01BE View Post
...I have been keenly following your thread...
Hi KL01BE,
Welcome to TBHP and Togo Channel. Congratulations on being approved as a TBHP member. Have a great time on the forum.
Thank you for the kind words and it comes to me as a great delight that you chose to post your first message on the forum on this thread ! Deeply touched.
Pity we couldn't link up on my Chavara run - but we'll surely meet up on my next run. Have fun with your new H-City & the faster you name it better, part of the fun of owning a vehicle really. But thankfully at least you have decided upon its sex, so I guess the name should come easy.

Last edited by Guderian : 10th June 2012 at 17:12.
Old 12th June 2012, 06:19   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Ahem !
When all the good folks in the world were decking and 'seriously accessorising' their Fortuners with electronic stuff like sound systems, DVDs, navigators, alligators etc and DRLs, horns, Billsteins, Pete's and whatnot I did not want to be left too far behind. And this was a long overdue bit I wanted.

Always wanted a chunky grip on all matters in life.
So when I was traipsing along, behind the LoH really, on one of those mind numbing 'Let's get stuff for the house' chukkers in a mall - came across this:
Name:  DSC00444.JPG
Views: 904
Size:  190.3 KB

The manufacturers claimed that:
Name:  DSC00456.JPG
Views: 699
Size:  187.6 KB

And informed me that it was manufactured in:
Name:  DSC00450.JPG
Views: 709
Size:  223.3 KB

By a company called:
Name:  DSC00454.JPG
Views: 715
Size:  203.7 KB

And insisted that installation was a breeze:
Name:  DSC00449.JPG
Views: 680
Size:  176.2 KB

And costed:
Name:  DSC00452.JPG
Views: 702
Size:  115.9 KB

They also promised me easy EMIs to help me purchase it after being informed that it was for a Fortuner and giving me a once over. Must have realised that a guy like me wouldn't have much left after bringing home the vehicle.
So after much mental debate and checking the bank balance etc - took the plunge.

Installing it was not too tough. No wires were cut, no electricals, electronics, relays etc were messed around with:
Name:  DSC09911.JPG
Views: 709
Size:  196.4 KB

Name:  DSC09913.JPG
Views: 720
Size:  241.2 KB

I trust the existing warranty clauses would not be impacted either. Must check with the ASC blokes or Toyota next time around.

Matches the dashboard and the original leather on the wheel fairly well. Gives me a great grip and is easy on the palms now. Feels good.
Name:  DSC09915.JPG
Views: 696
Size:  228.3 KB
Though I am not sure whether looks wise it's doing Admiral any good. But then what the heck !

Checked up all the prevailing laws on the matter and adhered to it.

Hope the Hon'ble Supreme Court doesn't take up a PIL for hearing and pass a judgement banning steering wheel covers in vehicles, ships and control columns in aircrafts, anytime in the near future.

Amen.

Last edited by Guderian : 12th June 2012 at 06:22.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 10:20   #1575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Though I am not sure whether looks wise it's doing Admiral any good. But then what the heck !
General - Admiral already had a leather wrapped steering wheel right? So why this additional thing.

Am i allowed to say that it is not going down well with the Admiral? I hope i am not court martialed for this and banned from TOGO channel.
Closed Thread