Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 18th June 2012, 14:50   #1591
BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Hi General, Is everything ok with the attachments? Is not getting loaded on the page and also when clicked on, gets directed to a page which says "Invalid attachment specified".

Since the pictures say a lot, waiting eagerly to see them.

Regards
KL01BE
KL01BE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 15:31   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01BE View Post
Since the pictures say a lot, waiting eagerly to see them. KL01BE
Now they should be saying a lot !
There was a glitch I think and I reposted them. Have a look.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 21:53   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
And why Pune ? To meet a few friends (most of them TBHPians):
It was an absolute honour and a big pleasure to meet you Herr Guderian!!
Incase any of you guys are wondering, this guy is a RIOT!
We were so glad you could make it.

PS : The blue-collar guy in the blue shirt is me!

The Admiral's engine bay is unbelievably squeaky clean. Tells a lot about its fastidious owner and his upkeep of his steed.

Can you believe this is a vehicle which has just done a couple of hundred KMs in rain and slush ?

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-img_0829_1.jpg

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-img_0828_1.jpg

Quote:
Another great Sunday you'd gladly agree !
Sure do ...more than Gladly agree!!
Old 19th June 2012, 07:57   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Siiigh...with such very subtle messages...I guess I have my task cut out for the coming Sunday. The steering wheel bikini comes off ! Shall adduce evidence here.
Thanks for removing that "thing" General. BTW it did'nt looked like a bikini.. more of a zillion times washed gown covering all the curves .

I agree with the speed vs FE figures you have posted. I get similar FE figures for Maximus.
Old 19th June 2012, 16:46   #1595
BHPian

General good to see the offending article consigned to the bin. Enough about that misadventure.

I do agree though that it would provide for a meatier grip but IS that always better? I find the steering thickness in the Fortuner rather optimal and quite easy on the fingers.

The FE run was very well done and great information to share. I concur with the findings completely.

Looking forward to more from you soon,
Old 19th June 2012, 21:40   #1596
BHPian

Smile Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Hail HG !

Seeking permission to update you on Megalodon

I got a call from dealer asking me to have a look at the vehicle which had arrived 'by road' from Pune specially for me. Had discussed this issue with GTO personally at the Mumbai Pune Mega Meet on 16 June 2012 and was asked to not take the delivey of that vehicle. (Would have loved to meet you there) Came back to Aurangabad and threatened the dealer that this is being published on the internet and that I am being forced to take this vehicle which I never wanted and that it was a violation of the consumer rights - the very next moment I am told that there is another Fortuner from the same batch with came from Bidadi directly to Aurangabad and I can take that. Saw the ODO and it read a decent 6KM. at delivery it should be around 45 KM something post the registration process and the drive to the showroom from stockyard. Finally the Silver 'Megalodon' ! should reach home on 22 June 2012.

Here are some pics from the stockyard...

Name:  IMG2012061900059 800x581.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  322.7 KB

Name:  IMG2012061900060 800x600.jpg
Views: 1842
Size:  333.2 KB

Name:  IMG2012061900061 800x600.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  318.2 KB

Name:  IMG2012061900063 800x600.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  284.1 KB
Old 20th June 2012, 07:17   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
It was an absolute honour and a big pleasure to meet you Herr Guderian!!

The Admiral's engine bay is unbelievably squeaky clean. Tells a lot about its fastidious owner and his upkeep of his steed.

Can you believe this is a vehicle which has just done a couple of hundred KMs...
Hi Sajo,
And so finally we were able to meet. Finally - because you've been one of the earliest members and subscribers of Togo Channel. And it was a delightful interaction - thank you !

My only grouse with the state of the engine on Sunday was that it hadn't undergone the standard regular wash n care for about 2 weeks - as I was taking care of other bits in the weekly chores like interiors, tyres etc. So this weekend is the engine care slot. Possibly post this you will then find the engine bay a little more cleaner.
Thanks Sajo for making it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Thanks for removing that "thing" General. BTW it did'nt looked like a bikini.. more of a zillion times washed gown covering all the curves .
I agree with the speed vs FE figures you have posted. I get similar FE figures for Maximus.
Hi Columbus,
Siiigh...another crack on that 'thing'. Believe me it was a bikini when it started off...the S Wheel then put on some weight and the bikini turned into a Kimono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
General good to see the offending article consigned to the bin. Enough about that misadventure.
The FE run was very well done and great information to share. I concur with the findings completely.
Hi Manuuj,
Now the 'thing' becomes an 'offending article'...
So many episodes of emotional outpurings over what I did for Admiral. Guess my huch was quite right about the old chap having far too many admirers than one imagined.
Next time around I follow a process of seeking a popular vote here before trying out any funny stuff.
Guys have made me feel like Guy Fawkes.

But - Manuuj & Columbus - after the Sunday drive - an insane thought has entered my mind (behind million others already there) - can the 17 KMPL barrier be broken ? I think I'll be weird enough to attempt it once at least. Just for the sake of betterment of mankind and Fortunerkind.
Hold steady between 65-70 KMPH for about 100 KMs. I have not found the engine lugging at 65 KMPH in 5th gear. Even if it does then hold steady at 70KMPH. That should do it I guess.
No such scientific endeavour is free from risks. Think of Copernicus, Darwin et al and the scorn they faced from the society at large, when in pursuit of their endeavours. So does my effort.
"His Granny must have had great influence on him when he was growing up - he drives like her."
"Open highway & a Fortuner at 70 KMPH...he deserves a cycle-rikshaw if someone is willing to give him one."
"Stark raving mad, I believe, to be attempting to arrive at a finding which doesn't matter at all in the final analysis."

Siiigh - things one has to face in the pursuit of knowledge. So much for scientific temper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Seeking permission to update you on Megalodon
That, Ahmed, is one gorgeous creature ! You have done well in naming it Megalodon. A rare creature indeed. Soon to be extinct ? Now that's where the dissonance with the name starts. This creature is for sure going to be around for a long, long time.
Congratulations - great colour and it sure looks fabulous - even when just in the yard.
Looking forward to your experience/s.
Sorry to have missed the mega meet. We'll meet up, I am sure, sometime soon.

Let's organise & get together for a 'Fortuners Meet' or something.

Last edited by Guderian : 20th June 2012 at 07:26.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:24   #1598
BHPian

Respected sir,
Being an ardent admirer and a huge fan of TOGO Channel, kindly accept my greetings to you and the ever youthful Admiral!

Looking at your worn out steering wheel, I have come across a useful link for restoring its former leathery glory.

Here is a link for the same:
M3 Steering Wheel Leather Restore? - E46Fanatics

I'm looking to procure the product for myself, but I've not found a dealer for the same in chennai.

DISCLAIMER: I'm in no way related to the product/ its manufacturer or its dealer. Just found it useful and hence posting the link.

Regards
Aveoman19
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 18:09   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
Looking at your worn out steering wheel, I have come across a useful link for restoring its former leathery glory.
Sacre bleu ! Sacrilege !
The steering wheel is not worn out. Just needed a thicker grip.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words aveoman and great to have you here.
I tried to open the link but wasn't able to - IP address blocked or some such thing it intoned to me rather impolitely.

But then have decided not to do anything with the steering wheel at all - fearful of a public outcry.
Old 27th June 2012, 18:11   #1600
BHPian

Quote:

But - Manuuj & Columbus - after the Sunday drive - an insane thought has entered my mind (behind million others already there) - can the 17 KMPL barrier be broken ? I think I'll be weird enough to attempt it once at least. Just for the sake of betterment of mankind and Fortunerkind.
Hold steady between 65-70 KMPH for about 100 KMs. I have not found the engine lugging at 65 KMPH in 5th gear. Even if it does then hold steady at 70KMPH. That should do it I guess.
You can try another setting. 50 - 55 kmph 4th gear. During my daily drive i can't cross 60 due to road conditions and trafiic. So no chance of engaging 5th. 50 at 4th gives me pretty good FE figures. But then 50 kmph on a highway will be more of a test of patience rather than the FE .
columbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 18:29   #1601
BHPian

Unhappy Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

The link works out perfectly in my i4s sir. Not sure if it doesn't open in pc. It is just a cleaning sponge. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. What it does is just remove the dirt, grime and oil from all surfaces, making it look like brand new. Even the leather steering of a decade old BMW E46 M3 looked as if it was part of a brand new car which just rolled off the showroom! You can rest assured that it isn't something like the steering wheel cover made from the exotic south east asian country!
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 20:36   #1602
BHPian

Hi General, after a lot of hard work, I have finally started my thread on owning the Honda City. Please have a look at the same on the link given below.

Regards
KL01BE
KL01BE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 11:43   #1603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
You can try another setting. 50 - 55 kmph 4th gear...
Hi Columbus, Thanks for the tip off. But then the 4th gear doesn't work the same magic as the 70 KMPH in 5th gear. Have checked 4th gear speeds on the instant average readings. While it would return good FE figures - won't match the 5 gear efficiencies per me.
Another Q for you & Nilanjan coming up in my next post regarding 4HL & LL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
The link works out perfectly in my i4s sir...
You can rest assured that it isn't something like the steering wheel cover made from the exotic south east asian country !
No go aveoman...still unable to get through. Nevertheless thanks for the description - sorts out the curiosity. I do have a spray to clean up the leather which works well on the steering wheel as well, no I was only looking at increasing the girth of the wheel. But now think otherwise !
Ha ha - exotic SE Asian country indeed...well good ol' Admiral himself (or atleast 60% of his components) is from a exotic SE Asian country - the land of the rising sun. No wonder his affinity for things from exotic SE/FE Asian countries !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01BE View Post
Hi General, after a lot of hard work, I have finally started my thread on owning the Honda City. Please have a look at the same on the link given below.
KL01BE
Hi KL01BE,
Thanks for the info will certainly go there in a bit.
Incidentally there was no link in your post...but nevermind shall trace out the thread.

Last edited by Guderian : 1st July 2012 at 11:45.
Old 1st July 2012, 23:53   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
I was only looking at increasing the girth of the wheel. But now think otherwise !
Ha ha - exotic SE Asian country indeed...well good ol' Admiral himself (or atleast 60% of his components) is from a exotic SE Asian country - the land of the rising sun. No wonder his affinity for things from exotic SE/FE Asian countries !
Hail General,
For that you should not follow the link what Mr. Aveoman has given, rather look for some links in your spam folder. (asking to be banned!)

Why is this sudden discussion of saving fuel when you "fortuners" are running on Diesel? Moreover, even petrol prices have come down by Rs. 2. Why worry, just pedal to metal! One question though, General why are you asking to maintain the speed between 65-70 when you have something called as "cruise control" - developed for lazy footers to save some oil. Is the Admiral not equipped with it?

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 1st July 2012 at 23:55.
Old 2nd July 2012, 00:49   #1605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
One question though...
Hi AK, No Admiral doesn't have cruise control. Even in the new Fortuner 2012 cruiser control is only available on the 4X2 AT variant.

Incidentally noticed the change of your avatar. Are you a fly boy and/or a fan of Manfred von Richthofen ?
Closed Thread