Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 16th November 2012, 23:15   #1726
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Let me officially wish you "season's greetings".

I read somewhere that you were keeping an eye out for Toyota recommended aftermarket tyres for the Fortuner.

Bridgestone's for Rs. 13.7 k

What do you reckon general ?

Look what I stumbled upon -
Hey Monaro,
Thanks.
Welcome back - after a long time here I believe !

Thanks for the info on the tyres. I did a little bit of checking on the BS tyres. Both - D683 and the D840 are H/Ts or simply put are for highways. Highway Luxury and Highway All Season respectively, as BS calls them. They are not A/Ts. Well I was primarily looking for A/Ts (All Terrains).
And the funny part was that these two tyres are not mentioned on the BS India site. So called up couple of guys I know in their Mktg set up and asked them about it. Was informed that this size (265/65/R17 for Fortuners) was recently introduced in India - mentioned to them about the info on these two tyres missing on their website and that they would be/ have been loosing some clients who think they have nothing to offer in this size. Was told later that they have give this feedback to their teams and the same would reflect on their website by early next week.
Incidentally, as per the Mktg guy, both these tyres are available from the BS dealers at Rs 12,500/- with additional discount/s from the dealer's side if you bargain well.

But then what does one do for A/Ts ? Limited choice ?

Last edited by Guderian : 16th November 2012 at 23:27.
Old 16th November 2012, 23:28   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hey Monaro,
Thanks.
Welcome back - after a long time here I believe !

Well I was primarily looking for A/Ts (All Terrains).
And the funny part was that these two tyres are not mentioned on the BS India site. So called up couple of guys I know in their Mktg set up and asked them about it. Was informed that this size (265/65/R17 for Fortuners) was recently introduced in India - mentioned to them about the info on these two tyres missing on their website and that they would be/ have been loosing some clients who think they have nothing to offer in this size. Was told later that they have give this feedback to their teams and the same would reflect on their website by early next week.
But then what does one do for A/Ts ? Limited choice ?
Chekced on BS and Michelin websites. This size in unavailable. The humble MRF has this size in Wanderer, its a AT tyre.

MRF Wanderer is standard fitment on Renault Duster.

Which tyres did you have on your scorpio ?

Last edited by F150 : 16th November 2012 at 23:35.
Old 16th November 2012, 23:46   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Chekced on BS and Michelin websites. This size in unavailable. The humble MRF has this size in Wanderer, its a AT tyre.

MRF Wanderer is standard fitment on Renault Duster.

Which tyres did you have on your scorpio ?
Hi F150,
Thanks for the info.
Yes MRF has them - but MRF tyres ride a little hard and are not very comfortable (plenty of noise in the cabin ?). But yeah, the Wanderers are worth a look.

The BS site should reflect the D683 H/L and D840 H/T by next week I guess, as mentioned earlier, but yeah no A/Ts.

I had BS Dueler 235/70/R16s - H/T first and then Yoko Geolandar A/T, of the same size, after 60K KMs with BS, on my Scorpio.

Last edited by Guderian : 16th November 2012 at 23:49.
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:54   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes MRF has them - but MRF tyres ride a little hard and are not very comfortable (plenty of noise in the cabin ?). But yeah, the Wanderers are worth a look.
General,

I have been on the lookout for feedback on the wanderers. Here is what raul had to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
2080km update. I travelled in an off day to Pune so things were a lot more relaxed on the expressway and I had room for even more testing.

I must single out the tyres. The MRF's are surprisingly quiet and grippy, the car hugs the road and loses speed rapidly when required. Brakes are very very good.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 10:43   #1730
BHPian

Question

I have had this issue with my vehicle since the last rainy season (rather whenever it rains). If i roll down by windows and roll them back up, a film of water droplets comes back up it upto 3 or 4 days even after the rains have stopped. I dont know whether this is normal as when asked at the service center they said that since the fabric at the bottom of the window glass (one which clings onto the glass) holds some water, it is letting it onto the window. Because of this issue I' am unable to have a clear vision from windows for sometime if i roll down and roll up the windows. Is this normal with Fortuner is this a problem ?

Another thing is that my vehicle came in "HL" mode while i drove out of the showroom and i have been driving it that way ever since. The other day i happened to read in the owners manual that normal roads are to be driven in "H" Mode. The vehicle has gone to service station thrice till now and now resetting from their side has happened. I' am confused as to whether i should continue in "HL" mode or should i get to "H" Mode.

Thanks again for all your help
Old 29th November 2012, 11:24   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaji View Post
I have had this issue with my vehicle since the last rainy season (rather whenever it rains). If i roll down by windows and roll them back up, a film of water droplets comes back up it upto 3 or 4 days even after the rains have stopped.~ Is this normal with Fortuner is this a problem ?

I' am confused as to whether i should continue in "HL" mode or should i get to "H" Mode.
- That is not normal to remain for 3-4 days. Maximum it should go away within 24 hours of driving in the rain.

- Shift immediately to H mode which is the normal driving mode.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 13:15   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
- That is not normal to remain for 3-4 days. Maximum it should go away within 24 hours of driving in the rain.

- Shift immediately to H mode which is the normal driving mode.
Dkaile, I just called up Toyota helpline and they gave a local dealer technical helpline number. I call up the guy and he states the Vehicle has to be in "HL" mode for normal driving !. I tell him that the manual states "H" mode and he is confused on it.

What will be the effect (on the vehicle mechanics) of driving in "HL" mode continuously for 15,000 Kms if the actual driving mode is supposed to be "H" ?
Old 29th November 2012, 13:24   #1733
Senior - BHPian

And a quick note...!

After a long, long time Admiral was able to hit the high seas for a very brief period of time and just a few nautical miles.
Last Sunday sailed across to Lonavala to meet a few good friends (all of them TBHP members !) from Pune and a lovely, graceful lady - Irene.

It was a delightful day for sailing.
Name:  DSC01236.JPG
Views: 1041
Size:  115.1 KB
Name:  DSC01238.JPG
Views: 1059
Size:  232.6 KB
Bright & cheerful.

At the rendezvous point Admiral had a couple of admirers.
Name:  DSC01241.JPG
Views: 1054
Size:  283.9 KB
Name:  DSC01242.JPG
Views: 1113
Size:  313.4 KB
Baloo, the bear, of course with some jiggery pokery on his mind.

Ahhh yes - the spot of course being the perpetual favourite - for all TBHP (Mumbai-Pune) meets. And who are we to break traditions ?
Sunnys - L'vala.
Name:  DSC01245.JPG
Views: 1083
Size:  190.9 KB

Not of course getting into the details of the wonderful meeting of good friends:
Name:  DSC01261.JPG
Views: 1144
Size:  296.4 KB

The highlight of the meet was of course getting introduced to and examining every inch of Irene besides lifting her skirt etc.
And before the MP (Moral Police, if you please) come after me and shut down this thread and process papers for my arrest and also of all those who like this thread - let me rush to push Irene to the front here:
Name:  DSC01270.JPG
Views: 1091
Size:  276.3 KB

Irene, circa 1968, Land Rover, of course is the proud possession of a fellow TBHPian.
Name:  DSC01274.JPG
Views: 1063
Size:  244.2 KB

Irene's skirt lifted:
Name:  DSC01294.JPG
Views: 1075
Size:  266.7 KB

What a glorious ol' girl !
Spent a long time with her and understood every aspect of her wonderful behaviour and quirks ( as all old ladies have, forgive me my dear M-i-L !).
And Admiral like a gallant sailor understood the reasons for my dalliance with Irene ! And I suspect Admiral too made eyes at her.

Anyway like all sea romances this too had to end though. And soon enough Admiral was back at his base.
Name:  DSC01317.JPG
Views: 1091
Size:  221.5 KB
Name:  DSC01320.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  154.7 KB

Some observations from the run:
1. Compared to the earlier runs this was one of the smoothest runs I have ever had with the Admiral. What I observed was that the engine drone which used to penetrate the cabin at high speeds had come down considerably. Not sure why.
2. Admiral's engine has turned quite smooth now which in between had turned a little growly and roughish. Now its truly smooth. Again not sure why.
3. The FE return (which inludes some city running) was nice though not surprising.

Aloha !

Quote:
1. I have had this issue with my vehicle since the last rainy season (rather whenever it rains). Because of this issue I' am unable to have a clear vision from windows for sometime if i roll down and roll up the windows. Is this normal with Fortuner is this a problem ?

2. Another thing is that my vehicle came in "HL" mode while i drove out of the showroom and i have been driving it that way ever since. The other day i happened to read in the owners manual that normal roads are to be driven in "H" Mode. The vehicle has gone to service station thrice till now and now resetting from their side has happened. I' am confused as to whether i should continue in "HL" mode or should i get to "H" Mode.
Hi yaji,
1. As dkaile mentioned that shouldn't happen. I have not seen the wet streaks for more than 3/4 hours after the showers. Ask the ASC chaps to open the door panel and check whether the felt strip is touching something else or is too long and collecting water in a pool in a channel below and therefore is perpetually wet.

2. Good lord my good man - how could this happen ? I hope you didn't drive at speeds more than 100 KMPH during this period in the HL mode. How could those chaps do this ? Anyway just have the transmission case checked after explaining the circumstances to the ASC Tech Head once.
Again as dkaike explained the normal mode of driving is 'H'.
Incidentally I am sure the dashboad light (HL indicator) would have been on - didn't that alert you ? Please read the manual end to end. Though terribly boring for the uninitiated or disinterested/disinclined (automotive-wise) folks - it helps a lot in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Q for dkaile !
Hi dkaile,
Remember the Q on idling RPM I asked you (linked to the NVH of the engine) - any come back on that ?

Last edited by Guderian : 29th November 2012 at 13:26.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 16:13   #1734
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Compared to the earlier runs this was one of the smoothest runs I have ever had with the Admiral. What I observed was that the engine drone which used to penetrate the cabin at high speeds had come down considerably. Not sure why.
2. Admiral's engine has turned quite smooth now which in between had turned a little growly and roughish. Now its truly smooth. Again not sure why.
3. The FE return (which inludes some city running) was nice though not surprising.
The weather has cooled down, it could possibly be the cold air that is making the engine run more efficiently and also bringing the noise levels down a bit.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 18:29   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dkaile, I just called up Toyota helpline and they gave a local dealer technical helpline number. I call up the guy and he states the Vehicle has to be in "HL" mode for normal driving !. I tell him that the manual states "H" mode and he is confused on it.

What will be the effect (on the vehicle mechanics) of driving in "HL" mode continuously for 15,000 Kms if the actual driving mode is supposed to be "H" ?
That guy was an idiot, and has put your vehicle under serious risk of short or long term damage. Driving in HL mode can cause severe strain on dry/high traction surfaces such as normal tarmac roads. And especially when taking turns.

If I were you, I would get a thorough check-up done of the vehicle, and I would also talk to Toyota and say that this is what happened. I do hope everything is fine with your vehicle.

In future, please Google or read the manual thoroughly - do not rely on Indian ASC folks as far as 4WD vehicles are concerned. Also read the card that is behind the driver's visor.

Anything happens to your vehicle, you should sue Toyota/that dealer. Nevertheless, I feel that the onus is on the owner/driver - especially when buying a 4WD vehicle - to do thorough research about their vehicle.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:29   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The weather has cooled down, it could possibly be the cold air that is making the engine run more efficiently and also bringing the noise levels down a bit.
Yeah possible - this was very apparent on my previous ride, the Scorpio CRDe during winters. But didn't notice this on Admiral last winter or during the trips when we drove down to cooler climes. Am a little worried about the differing quality of fuel - though I fill from the same bunk most of the times -as I've been explained that the quality of fuel differs from batch to batch depending on the source field and country, though from the same brand (BPCL) and despite the standard refining processes. Also was pondering about dirty injector nozzles thanks to fuel from countryside bunks during the long runs. Anyway, for the time being the SHP (Self Healing Properties) of the T-Fortuner seems to have kicked in !
Will look at throwing down the hatch a couple of cans of STP Diesel Fuel Injector Cleaner sometime in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
If I were you, I would get a thorough check-up done of the vehicle, and I would also talk to Toyota and say that this is what happened. I do hope everything is fine with your vehicle.
Hi Nils - Would you say the forward & rear differentials and axles could be badly shot ? I guess the vehicle ran for a long time with the central diff locked...wonder about the ill effects of that ? Or may be there is nothing to it as compared to running it and turning in LL mode.

Last edited by Guderian : 30th November 2012 at 09:37.
Old 30th November 2012, 13:49   #1737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nils - Would you say the forward & rear differentials and axles could be badly shot ? I guess the vehicle ran for a long time with the central diff locked...wonder about the ill effects of that ? Or may be there is nothing to it as compared to running it and turning in LL mode.
I do hope not! But there is high potential for damage - perhaps not apparently visible unless professionally checked - since it was driven for so long in 4HL.

The damage happens when the vehicle turns on a high traction surface like a normal road - while turning, the front axle travels a greater distance the the rear. But is prevented from doing so due to the central differential lock. Which leads to serious transmission windup.

Regarding 4HL vs. 4LL - gut feel says that the extra torque due to 4LL would cause greater damage. But overall the same rules apply - transmission windup risk whether on 4HL or 4LL (perhaps higher in this case) when driving on high traction surfaces - especially when turning.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:46   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding 4HL vs. 4LL - gut feel says that the extra torque due to 4LL would cause greater damage. But overall the same rules apply - transmission windup risk whether on 4HL or 4LL (perhaps higher in this case) when driving on high traction surfaces - especially when turning.
Is it possible that someone could post a picture of the default lever position in the fortuner ?

Like i said, the ASC guys still insist that HL is not an issue and Toyota redirects me to the ASC folks which is a joke. I was made to call Ravindu and Nandi since my ASC till now has been VIVA but both these guys give the same opinion that HL is the default mode !

I did tell the guy who spoke from Toyota that it makes no sense to reconnect me to the ASC folks but he did not seem to understand the point and i get a call from the ASC folks that the CRM wants to have a meeting with me. I told them that this is not about convincing me on something but setting things right. I have not got a call afterwards.
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:55   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible that someone could post a picture of the default lever position in the fortuner ?
I had posted it in this post here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2468461
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:38   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Sundays will be Sundays of course. Never ceases to be magical for more reasons than one.

And my Profumo...errr...Perfumo scandal.
And I had this vexatious issue for sometime of the vehicle perfume. Which was hitherto an Ambipure attachment hanging on to its dear life from the AC vent. And this over the last month has started creating a racket. Tried my best to fasten it better but no avail. Finally on Saturday, got Admiral a gel air freshner in a bottle. But then the issue was where to place it and how to ensure its rattle free existence in life.
Nowhere in the front was there any space. Nor did I want it there as the smell could be a little strong and irritate the eyes. Further the vapours would/could diffuse into my clothes and in turn I would smell like something/one having come from an house of ill repute - raising all kinds of doubts in the minds of colleagues and worse LoH !

And finally something that was absolutely of no use to me all these days came of some use.
Name:  DSC01329.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  230.5 KB
Name:  DSC01322.JPG
Views: 832
Size:  184.0 KB
Name:  DSC01328.JPG
Views: 794
Size:  174.4 KB

Yes the cubbyhole/cup holder in the last row ! Never though it would be of any use to me. The bottle was fastened there with two stips of 3M Two Way Tape. All snug and nice.
And now the dash and AC vents are clutter free and I like it.
Name:  DSC01330.JPG
Views: 873
Size:  187.6 KB
Name:  DSC01332.JPG
Views: 873
Size:  268.1 KB

And Sunday also saw a drive into town to a real leafy locale with old bungalows. The old boy was very comfortable indeed.
Name:  DSC01335.JPG
Views: 893
Size:  208.9 KB
Name:  DSC01336.JPG
Views: 845
Size:  199.0 KB
Name:  DSC01337.JPG
Views: 799
Size:  228.4 KB

Quote:
Which leads to serious transmission windup.
Ah yes the torsion wind up !

Quote:

2...both these guys give the same opinion that HL is the default mode !
Hi Yaji,
1. Here is another snap from this thread - giving you the relative position of the two levers.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...e-sails-3.html (Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...)

You can see for yourself the relative position from this and dkaile's snap.

2. Is this some kind of a joke ? HL the default mode ? Good lord - is the famed Toyota service and technical sense slipping into the netherworld ? Simply unbelievable.

Once again 'H' is the default mode.
Would suggest you write a mail to TKML ASAP. Anyway please have the vehicle - the transfer case and axles - checked out at the earliest.
Good luck.
Closed Thread