Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 3rd December 2012, 12:58   #1741
BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Yaji! I am surprised nay shocked that your vehicle is still running! That it has not been noticed, by the ASC that the vehicle is in HL mode for so long perplexes me further.

For the record the vehicle must ONLY BE IN H mode for normal tarmac roads and city/highway runs where the wheels have adequate traction.

HL mode is ONLY for sandy slushy terrain where the wheels are losing Traction and can be done on the run. The vehicle must be kept under 100 kmph in this mode.

LL mode is for more serious offroading. Going up or down steep gradients when more torque is required and speed is not.

Here is a Pic of the vehicle H mode.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-gear-lever.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:17   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Yaji! I am surprised nay shocked that your vehicle is still running! That it has not been noticed, by the ASC that the vehicle is in HL mode for so long perplexes me further.

For the record the vehicle must ONLY BE IN H mode for normal tarmac roads and city/highway runs where the wheels have adequate traction.

HL mode is ONLY for sandy slushy terrain where the wheels are losing Traction and can be done on the run. The vehicle must be kept under 100 kmph in this mode.

LL mode is for more serious offroading. Going up or down steep gradients when more torque is required and speed is not.

Here is a Pic of the vehicle H mode.
Attachment 1021400
Manuuj,

Like i have already mentioned in an earlier post of mine, the ASC has insisted that "HL" mode is the right mode whenever i asked them about it during the service visits. I have never had an issue while driving but may be its like i dont know how H mode feels so i may be saying this.
Old 4th December 2012, 08:21   #1743
BHPian

^^
It's a worry, if that particular ASC is propagating the use of HL mode as a regular daily affair for most of its customers. Unfortunate lack of basic knowledge, on the part of the SAs.
Feel for them poor fortuners which are getting beaten up on HL modes on Tarmac!

No wonder yaji,
You were getting high revs on your car, during your first highway run.

On your part, you should have 'read' and not 'listened' to the ASC chaps.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 12:36   #1744
Senior - BHPian

Extract from Ship's Log Book:

Date: Dec 27, 2012.
Time: 1848Hrs/ 6.48 PM.
Location: Eastern Express Highway just after J-V Link Road (Sea lane - Powai to Thane).
Event: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro recorded 35,000KMs/18898.49 Nautical Miles on the odometer.

Days to 35K Clicks: 670: Date of Delivery - Feb 27, 2011.
Average Run Per Day: 52.23 KMs

Total Fuel Consumed: 2894.24 Lts
Overall FE: 12.09 KMPL
Best Recorded FE Figure till date: 16.2 KMPL (By MID)

No of Services/Inspections : 8. (1 due at 35K KMs will be done by Jan 2nd week - taken into account here.)
Total Service Expenses: Rs. 17364 (assumed at Rs. 2.5 K for the 8th Service) - Inclusive work done outside the ASC - washing & wheel alignment/s.
Cost per Service: Rs 2233.00 (Inclusive of 8th service charges assumed at Rs. 2.5K.)

Niggles: Nil.

Remarks from the Bridge: Ship running on an even keel. Routine watchkeeping duties turning out to be boring.

End of Extract.

After much huffing and puffing, Admiral sailed past the 35K KMs marker buoy last evening. (And so what do you expect ? With the daily average run being only 40 KMs and no sanction from Admirality Office for high seas sailing to show the flag overseas or engage enemy combatants in far away colonies ?)

Anyway, another slow milestone for Admiral. But yeah, as the great Indian Sadhus of yore remarked about the length one's life being dependent on the number of breaths one takes, likewise older Admiral gets agewise without too many miles/KMs on the odo, longer the period of companionship with the old boy.

A few snaps to mark the occasion.

The odo as seen this morning:
Name:  DSC01380.JPG
Views: 1543
Size:  174.0 KB

The MID as seen this morning:
Name:  DSC01387.JPG
Views: 1552
Size:  148.3 KB

Deep within the bowels of the office building - two silver road warriors.
Name:  DSC01390.JPG
Views: 1575
Size:  134.4 KB
Name:  DSC01391.JPG
Views: 1516
Size:  206.9 KB

The other silver road warrior being:
Name:  DSC01393.JPG
Views: 1503
Size:  159.3 KB

Admiral awaits sailing orders.
Name:  DSC01392.JPG
Views: 1517
Size:  243.3 KB
Name:  DSC01394.JPG
Views: 1510
Size:  183.3 KB

Aloha !

Last edited by Guderian : 28th December 2012 at 12:49.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 04:37   #1745
BHPian

Hi Guderian,

Hope all is well with the Admiral.

I have been sailing for a long time now-without any connection to the cyberworld:-(

Just arrived Barbers Point in Oahu,Hawaii. The first internet connection in 6 months for me!

Will catch up with Togo channel soon.

Happy new year and Aloha!!

charthom

Last edited by charthom : 29th December 2012 at 04:39.
Old 30th December 2012, 18:54   #1746
Senior - BHPian

And as a milestone gift Admiral got the exact shade of his silver - Classic Silver Mica - DupliColor paint pen. Have been busy touching up all the chips & dings thanks to highway pebbles and what not. They are almost invisible now. Very happy with it indeed.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-classic-silver-mica.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Hope all is well with the Admiral.
It's been a long time Charthom. Thanks for coming by and good luck, Sindbad, for all your exotic sailing journeys.

Trust all is well with your Honda City.
All is well, best as can be, with Admiral (touch wood !)

Wishing you a fabulous 2013.

Last edited by Guderian : 30th December 2012 at 18:56.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:23   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
And as a milestone gift Admiral got the exact shade of his silver - Classic Silver Mica - DupliColor paint pen. Have been busy touching up all the chips & dings thanks to highway pebbles and what not. They are almost invisible now. Very happy with it indeed.
Hi @Guderian,

Interesting product.
Where did you buy it from?
Is it available in all paint shades (I mean how about matching the exact shade, e.g. my Tucson is almost 8 year old, so I would need a little faded black)?

BTW, good to see the Admiral going on strongly and loved the way you described the ownership (high seas, admirality office), I have a fascination for a sailor life - something I have only seen in the movies. So of late, you have been keeping to the shallows, like me?

Cheers!

P.S. you bought a Duster as well?
Old 4th January 2013, 12:11   #1748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

1. Interesting product.

2. BTW, good to see the Admiral going on strongly...

3. P.S. you bought a Duster as well?
Hi Anand,

1. That is the Dupli-Color paint pen. Initially got the stuff myself on my visits to the US - these days I badger folks coming down from there to get it for me !
Here is the link for a Hyundai black.
http://www.duplicolor.com/scratchfix/
In case this is not the shade of black then play around on the site you'll get your T's exact black shade. However if nothing works then try their Universal Black - which is the one I used on my previous vehicle (a gorgeous black Scorpio CRDe) with fairly good results.
You can get the code details and ask someone to pick it up from Walmart of Pepboys or Jegs. Available on the e-bay too.
I am addicted to it for years now - works like a charm on souvenirs picked up by the vehicle while being driven on our roads. Nicks, cuts and bruises.

2. Thank you for the kind words.
Yeah of late been on extended coastal patrol duties only. Aching for the blue waters.

3. No. No way. It's a Silver Duster spotted the office parking lot. Just someone Admiral made acquaintance with...!

Since you are in Pune let's try and do an event where the black Tucson can join an Endy, a T-Fortuner and few others. Would be great to see & compare the generations together.
Old 4th January 2013, 18:37   #1749
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the references. I will try these.

Yes, we should meet - "SUV gathering" in and around Pune.
Old 13th January 2013, 22:46   #1750
Senior - BHPian

VIII/35K KMs Service.

So yesterday, Saturday, it was Admiral's date with the grease monkeys.

And the uneasy and queasy feeling was present in the gut throught out the week preceding. The feeling grips me everytime I had/have to give any of my vehicles - past or current - for servicing. Partly because of the poor ASC experiences and partly out of the annoyance of seeing unfamiliar hands pawing one's pride. And at times the vehicle coming out worse than when it went in...
I guess it is a part of the joys and sorrows of owning a vehicle. But I am slowly overcoming this condition. Partially thanks to Toyota therapy. And partially due to the ageing process.

Sailed in at 0930 hrs. The centre was more crowded than a Kerala toddy shop on a payday. Not an inch of space anywhere.

Sailed out by 1330 hrs. And between these two chronometric points spent Rs 2414/-.

And a lot of fun in between.
By now I know almost all the guys there.

As soon as the Chief SA saw me & Admiral and was assigning the task to a SA he asked the SA to first carry out propellor shaft greasing, smiling at me to signal that he got me this time. His face fell when I stated that there is no requirement to grease the prop shafts at 35K KMs.

Admiral was docked in at 1000 hrs.
Name:  DSC01415.JPG
Views: 1124
Size:  275.5 KB
Name:  DSC01417.JPG
Views: 1106
Size:  237.8 KB
Name:  DSC01418.JPG
Views: 1162
Size:  285.5 KB
Name:  DSC01419.JPG
Views: 1245
Size:  253.4 KB

Activities carried out:
- Brake/s cleaning.
- Hand brake tightened.
- Inspection/general check up.
- Brake/clutch oil topped up.
- Battery checked.
- Bumper (front) grommets (fastners) changed on my insistence as I felt there was a play.

- A rear fender fastner fixed. Previous one lost in action somewhere.
Name:  DSC01458.JPG
Views: 1120
Size:  246.9 KB

- Air filter HP air blow cleaned.
- Though normally I get the vehicle washed outside - this time thought of giving it to the ASC to keep their economy running. After all we too have a responsiblity to keep that rolling right ? If the ASC has a slump and winds up shop I & Admiral are going to be in a hole.
Name:  DSC01421.JPG
Views: 1091
Size:  291.2 KB
Name:  DSC01423.JPG
Views: 1092
Size:  371.6 KB

They did a good job I thought.
Name:  DSC01451.JPG
Views: 1038
Size:  269.4 KB
Name:  DSC01460.JPG
Views: 1041
Size:  242.8 KB

Dashboard was given a coat of plastic rejuvenator.
Name:  DSC01474.JPG
Views: 1144
Size:  206.3 KB
Name:  DSC01475.JPG
Views: 1064
Size:  202.5 KB

Even the rubber mats looked fresh n new.
Name:  DSC01480.JPG
Views: 1044
Size:  208.9 KB
Name:  DSC01483.JPG
Views: 1064
Size:  230.0 KB
Name:  DSC01484.JPG
Views: 1058
Size:  226.6 KB

The engine bay was a delight no doubt. Looking like the day it was delivered.
Name:  DSC01461.JPG
Views: 1065
Size:  279.0 KB
Name:  DSC01471.JPG
Views: 1014
Size:  286.8 KB

There was a vehicle nearby that caught my fancy. And I examined it inside out:
Name:  DSC01420.JPG
Views: 1355
Size:  146.9 KB
Yes, the Toyota Land Cruiser.

Finally Admiral was ready.
Name:  DSC01427.JPG
Views: 1069
Size:  149.9 KB

And the damages (inclusive of taxes/in Rs.):
- Front brake cleaning - 256.18
- Rear brakes - 426.97
- Service inspection - 713.49
- Washing & vacuum cleaning - 555.06
- Front bumper fastners - 442.26
- Battery water - 19.99

Total: Rs 2414.00 - Paid: Rs 2410.00 - Loyal Customer Discount: Rs 4.00
(I confess...that was a lie. The Cashier didn't have any change ! But then he knew I was a cantankerous old (loyal ?) customer.)

Overall a rather satisfactory experience.

Screwed !

In the previous week, thanks to the Sunday routine, discovered that the rear left tyre was loosing air slowly. And also discovered what embedded hardware (as opposed to software !) meant.

This was the offending piece of metal:
Name:  DSC01436.JPG
Views: 1019
Size:  350.6 KB

Relatively this big:
Name:  DSC01441.JPG
Views: 1012
Size:  125.5 KB
Fixed at a nearby tyrewallah using a standard strip patch. Rs 100.00

And so Admiral is all set for the next 2.6K Nautical Miles (5K KMs) in relatively calm waters.

Tally ho !

Last edited by Guderian : 13th January 2013 at 23:16.
Guderian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 23:02   #1751
Senior - BHPian

That's a pretty cheap 35k kms service.
Could you post pictures pic your tyre tread depth ?
No engine oil change ??
Old 14th January 2013, 08:45   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
1. That's a pretty cheap 35k kms service.
3. Could you post pictures pic your tyre tread depth ?
2. No engine oil change ??
1. Well it would have been about Rs 1971.74 had I not insisted on changing the front bumper's grommets/fastners that added up to a pretty penny.
However the 40K KMs service could be a relatively expensive one with the engine, differential oils for sure, & possibly the gear oil, being changed.

2. Engine oil change is always at 10X Kms intervals in the T-Fortuner.

3. Well, if you are getting at whether the treads/tyres have gone paper thin -no it hasn't, fair amount of depth and therefore enough life left in them I suppose. This piece of misreable metal had worked its way in between the tread blocks and lodged itself pretty deep. And the screw was found to be sharp, very sharp, indeed. These days all over Mumbai and Thane plenty of construction activities on, mainly Metro, Mono-Rail and flyovers - so good amount of metal debris of this kind is strewn about on the roads next to these sites.
And in the earlier puncture, the blessed piece of long metal had worked itself into the sidewall as you'd have noticed from the snaps.
Old 14th January 2013, 09:32   #1753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
3. Well, if you are getting at whether the treads/tyres have gone paper thin -no it hasn't, fair amount of depth and therefore enough life left in them I suppose. This piece of misreable metal had worked its way in between the tread blocks and lodged itself pretty deep. And the screw was found to be sharp, very sharp, indeed. These days all over Mumbai and Thane plenty of construction activities on, mainly Metro, Mono-Rail and flyovers - so good amount of metal debris of this kind is strewn about on the roads next to these sites.
And in the earlier puncture, the blessed piece of long metal had worked itself into the sidewall as you'd have noticed from the snaps.
Same is the situation here at my work place. I had 3 punctures in the span of 6 weeks. Moving to a new tower soon .

I was checking the pics earlier from the phone, so couldnt see the tread depth.

Tread depth appears to be decent. Another 5K kms ?

Did you finalize on the tyres ? Going for DUNLOP again ?
Old 14th January 2013, 09:57   #1754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

1. Tread depth appears to be decent. Another 5K kms ?

2. Did you finalize on the tyres ? Going for DUNLOP again ?
1. Hopefully much more than that (touch wood !). Looking at something like 20K KMs+. With Manuuj's tyre having lasted for about 75K KMs - I assume can hope for this, if all goes well.

2. Not as yet. But have been nosing around. Bridgestone has some tough tyres - but not in the A/T range for the Fortuner - just the H/Ts or HLs. Checked BS when I drove in for fixing the puncture.
MRF Wanderers are around too but haven't heard much about them. Wonder if any of the folks here have any opinion/s on the MRF Wanderers. Shall be glad to receive a/any feedback.
To my mind the Yokos are ruled out, much to my sorrow.
BF Goodrich my first choice is not to be seen anywhere - even in Michelin shops. They are out of the country for the time being.

So still a wait and watch situation.

Last edited by Guderian : 14th January 2013 at 09:59.
Old 15th January 2013, 09:24   #1755
Senior - BHPian

And before I forget & for those who are interested, I had a chance last Saturday to also poke around the 2012 Fortuner and ask for the price list.

Here are the details of the pricing (Rs.) in Mumbai OTR, inclusive of Octroi, for a 4X4 M/T (Individual):
- Ex Showroom - 23,62,374.
- Registration - 3,21,491.
- Insurance - 90,318.
- Depot Charges - 4,500.
- Accessories Package - 35,662.

Total OTR - 28,14,344.

The OTR for - 2WD - M/T - 26,64,720.
- 2WD - A/T - 27,82,655.
There is an LE variant in each of the 2WD variants. Couldn't figure out what that was - could be the Sportivo Edition.

Feels good to realise that Admiral costed me almost 5L less about 2 years ago. This factor should add a great value to the resale prices of the old Fortuners.
Feeling smug - though I envy the VSC/EBD and some chota-mota additional features of the new Fortuner.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th January 2013 at 03:33. Reason: corrected figure 32,14,91 to 3,21,491, thanks
Guderian is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread