Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 12:36   #1771
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
With Tata AIG you can negotiate what you want.
Hi alto99,
Yes indeed. They are fairly flexible and 'appear' to dealing straight. And the Execs sure do know what they are talking and don't neccessarily irritate you with their melodramatics ('Pooch ke batata hoon' or 'Month end hai - last day hai offer ka' etc types) or fumbling at every step.
I guess the idea is to push hard but in a logical way and with some understanding of what goes on behind the scenes from experience.

OT
You are alto but drive a Civic eh ? Interesting !
Guderian is offline  
Old 14th February 2013, 13:19   #1772
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 344
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

OT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi alto99,

You are alto but drive a Civic eh ? Interesting !
When i joined tbhp I had a alto .
alto99 is offline  
Old 14th February 2013, 18:09   #1773
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
2. What the Yoko chaps told me was that each territory is allowed to (sort of) adapt the products to their local requirements.
======================
1. Obelix - Sounds like a great name. He's man after my own heart !
My fortuner just completed 60,000 kms (its 2.5 years old). The tyres needed replacement (they could have gone another 5-6000 kms but ididnt want to risk getting a puncture when on a long drive)and the OE dunlops were around 20K each in Chennai. They are fantastic tyres, i had only one single puncture in these 60,000 kms, but i thought they were pricey.

Went ahead and picked up Bridgestone D 840 (i think) for around 12.5K a tyre. They dont look as aggressive (tread) as the dunlops, and the drive is just a wee bit harder, though that could be due to incorrect tyre pressure in the older tyres.
Got them at LAL's and had to pay around 1.5K for balancing/alignment/nitrogen etc.
Will post an update on how these tyres perform but for the moment they seem to be doing a good job.
vc_naveen is offline  
Old 15th February 2013, 08:44   #1774
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc_naveen View Post
My fortuner just completed 60,000 kms (its 2.5 years old).
Went ahead and picked up Bridgestone D 840 (i think) for around 12.5K a tyre.
Hi Naveen,
Welcome to the channel !
60K KMs in 2.5 years is quite a bit of serious running. How about a long term ownership report ? Would love to hear your experiences !
BS-D840 - Those are H/Ts and not A/Ts and therefore the treads may not be very smashing to look at and the ride could also be a little stiff. But yeah, they should last you for quite some time - decent tyres for a 4X2. I have had good experience with them on the Scorpio.
I think if there are no other options in A/T - this or MRF Wanderers would be the choice for me as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
OT
When i joined tbhp I had a alto .
Well - TBHP certainly blesses its members with a lot of progress on the wheels of life !
One has to just look around for the numerous instances.
Welcome to the channel alto99.
Guderian is offline  
Old 15th February 2013, 16:56   #1775
BHPian
 
Viraat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 488
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Hi Guderian, I am back on the Togo channel after a very long time. I have been noting the progress from time to time as I had subscribed to this thread when it was about 10 pages old.

I have a question for you - What is the logic behind using regular diesel and not Hi-Speed or what have you? Recently got our first diesel car, so I was curious to know.

Wishing you many miles of happy driving/sailing!
Viraat13 is offline  
Old 16th February 2013, 13:08   #1776
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Hi Guderian, I am back on the Togo channel after a very long time. I have been noting the progress from time to time as I had subscribed to this thread when it was about 10 pages old.

I have a question for you - What is the logic behind using regular diesel and not Hi-Speed or what have you? Recently got our first diesel car, so I was curious to know.

Wishing you many miles of happy driving/sailing!
Hi Viraat13,
Been a long time ! Welcome back.

About the regular diesel - there was a long discussion about the subject in the early few pages of this thread.
Since then there has been one more reason added to the earlier reasons.
The earlier reasons were -
1. I was told of the apparent damage the additives laced drink can cause to the fine nozzles of the CRDe engines. Primarily the additives are finely ground/powdered substances and some liquid chemicals. Was given to understand that this can at high pressures (1300 millibars in the common rail) can damage the nozzles over a period of time. Frankly haven't done much research on this part.
2. However what was more of concern to me was the direct call from a Toyota Tech Team member in Bangalore who had read the earlier discussion here and warned me against using the additives laced diesel (BPCL's Speed or HPCL's Turbojet or whatever) as it would choke the pilot injector of the Fortuner's 1KD-FTV engine. Pilot injector injects small quantities of fuel ahead of the main spray and starts combustion and a flash later the main fuel comes from the nozzles and burns completely - which gives the engine its efficiency etc and with almost no uncombusted fuel fuel particles.

And this warning was enough for me to swear off non-regular diesel like an alcoholic, very emotionally, swearing off alcohol at an AA meet. Though I had never filled it in the Admiral ever. But had on my Scorpio CRDe once in a way and had liked the results to some extent in terms of smoothness and pick up but a fractionally lower FE.

After that discussion the fuel companies (and the gov't behind the scenes) have given another fabulous reason to stay off the non regular/additive laced diesel. The price difference ! When I last checked it was a difference of Rs. 19. So much so my regular bunk in Mumbai (BPCL King's Cricle) has stopped stocking Speed Diesel as the demand for it has completely dropped. Though the guys there mentioned there are still the die hard fans of the laced diesel who come asking for it.

Some great reasons innit ?

Last edited by Guderian : 16th February 2013 at 13:10.
Guderian is offline  
Old 16th February 2013, 14:55   #1777
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,674
Thanked: 742 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
2. However what was more of concern to me was the direct call from a Toyota Tech Team member in Bangalore who had read the earlier discussion here and warned me against using the additives laced diesel (BPCL's Speed or HPCL's Turbojet or whatever) as it would choke the pilot injector of the Fortuner's 1KD-FTV engine. Pilot injector injects small quantities of fuel ahead of the main spray and starts combustion and a flash later the main fuel comes from the nozzles and burns completely - which gives the engine its efficiency etc and with almost no uncombusted fuel fuel particles.
From the part in bold above, does that mean the engine consists of a separate injector for Pilot injection (PI) and a separate one for main injection (MI)? Or does every injector have a designated hole for PI and others for MI ? Any idea how many holes the injector has?

Spike

PS - Injector ~ Nozzles (usually)
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 16th February 2013, 15:32   #1778
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
From the part in bold above, does that mean the engine consists of a separate injector for Pilot injection (PI) and a separate one for main injection (MI)...
Hey Spike,
Trust all his well in Deutschland and Deutschland über alles and alles that !

From what little I know of the plumbing of the engine and even lesser of what I understood from the conversation with the TKML techie - I presume it is the same injectors doing the job with the ECU introducing minor quantities before the major event. So I suppose the injectors would have a separate, smaller aperture for the pilot act which is/are the one/s that are feared to get choked with the non-regular diesel.
Guderian is offline  
Old 16th February 2013, 16:14   #1779
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,674
Thanked: 742 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hey Spike,
Trust all his well in Deutschland and Deutschland über alles and alles that !
Ja, alles in Ordnung.

Quote:
From what little I know of the plumbing of the engine and even lesser of what I understood from the conversation with the TKML techie - I presume it is the same injectors doing the job with the ECU introducing minor quantities before the major event.
Usually, that is the case.

Quote:
So I suppose the injectors would have a separate, smaller aperture for the pilot act which is/are the one/s that are feared to get choked with the non-regular diesel.
Not sure if this is the case. Usually the injection is controlled through a needle valve which lifts (after getting the signal) to let the fuel flow. So, controlling it for MI and PI is a bit dicey. I have not heard of such an injector hence asked. For all the injection types, it is the quantity and the timing which s most important, apertures can be same I feel.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 16th February 2013, 16:29   #1780
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Not sure if this is the case. Usually the injection is controlled through a needle valve which lifts (after getting the signal) to let the fuel flow. So, controlling it for MI and PI is a bit dicey. I have not heard of such an injector hence asked. For all the injection types, it is the quantity and the timing which s most important, apertures can be same I feel.
Spike
Then a little puzzled as to why then would the TKML bloke be particularly be worried about the PI getting choked ?
Spikey - Then a request - could you please deepen your Auto Engineering studies in Deutschland and check out the Toyota 1KD-FTV engine and come to some definite conclusion on the PI ? Or may be the TKML techie himself was bamboozled by someone else in TKML and so did one me ? Or could it be a case of -In the country of the blind, every one eyed man with cataract and glaucoma thinks he is the king ???

Last edited by Guderian : 16th February 2013 at 16:31.
Guderian is offline  
Old 16th February 2013, 16:51   #1781
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,674
Thanked: 742 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Then a little puzzled as to why then would the TKML bloke be particularly be worried about the PI getting choked ?
Yeah, he must be referring to the injectors.

Quote:
Spikey - Then a request - could you please deepen your Auto Engineering studies in Deutschland and check out the Toyota 1KD-FTV engine and come to some definite conclusion on the PI ?
My query was to deepen my understanding on the same.

Quote:
Or may be the TKML techie himself was bamboozled by someone else in TKML and so did one me ? Or could it be a case of -In the country of the blind, every one eyed man with cataract and glaucoma thinks he is the king ???
Most likely, the second case. I will let you know if I have more on this.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 16th February 2013 at 16:53.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 18:16   #1782
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I will let you know if I have more on this...
Spike
Thank you Spikey.
While you are at it and presumably would be trawling through all sources could you also help me locate a Workshop Manual for the Toyota -Fortuner 2011 ?
Have been searching for it for quite some time - but no go. May be you could locate it through the academic sources.
I have bits and pieces of technical and service bulletins for the engine/other components from earlier years of the Fortuner - but was really looking for the Comprehensive Workshop Manual.
Appreciate your help !

Last edited by Guderian : 16th February 2013 at 18:18.
Guderian is offline  
Old 16th February 2013, 19:06   #1783
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,674
Thanked: 742 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

^^ That only someone who has / had access to can provide. Did you try with websites like Haynes, where you can buy workshop manuals ?

For me it is difficult to get access to these documents. I know someone in Bangalore, through him I can try, but cannot give any guarantee of getting you one. I will try though.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 16th February 2013 at 19:07.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 16th February 2013, 20:17   #1784
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ That only someone who has / had access to can provide. Did you try with websites like Haynes, where you can buy workshop manuals ?

For me it is difficult to get access to these documents. I know someone in Bangalore, through him I can try, but cannot give any guarantee of getting you one. I will try though.

Spike
Thank you.
Tried quite a few sources but the exact version required was not found anywhere even for purchase.

Another option was to get it off a friendly ASC supervisor. Still working on that but not very sure about a successful outcome.
Guderian is offline  
Old 16th February 2013, 22:15   #1785
BHPian
 
Viraat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 488
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Viraat13,
Been a long time ! Welcome back.

About the regular diesel - there was a long discussion about the subject in the early few pages of this thread.
...

Some great reasons innit ?
I suppose I hadn't been following the thread quite as keenly as I thought I was!

I will readily admit that I think you nailed it on the head with the price difference. The only reason we got the diesel W124 is for the savings. The E220 runs on 97 octane which is 90 bucks a liter and the Opel guzzles the regular stuff at a liter every 7.5 to 8 kilometers. This old horse is going to have to make do with the regular sticky stuff.

Cheers sir!
(Wait. Is that wrong? I mean after the little AA reference you made. )
Viraat13 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family MAS SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 121 24th November 2017 20:26
Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner dkaile SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 45 12th August 2011 22:20
Rear Admiral killed in 'accidental fire' sandeepmdas Shifting gears 13 9th July 2010 16:34
VW Touareg North Sails Design K-S-A The International Automotive Scene 6 23rd July 2008 23:29
Modified Corsa Sails dadudeonfire Modifications & Accessories 12 19th July 2005 01:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:04.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks