Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 18th March 2011, 10:07   #166
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi ACM, What kind of remapping are we talking about here ? Akin to the Pete's Box type ?
Remapping is different from "The Box" treatment, in remapping they do not add an external box and the settings of the ECU itself are mapped again (remapped) to open up the reserve preformance from the engine. In the "Box" method they add an external easy to remove box that fools the ECU into thinking that the car needs extra fuel to various magnitudes at specific points along the rev range.

Remapping can not be reversed by us laymen and a professional is required, while the Box can be removed by us anytime and both fitting and removal are simple. (We need to remove it to keep the car within warranty). The Box can be removed without a trace, but the remap can be detected in a service centre.

A remap is more comprehensive and gives higher and smoother (read better) preformance, but there is more that can go wrong as well in the hands on a not too competent mapper. There is less that can go wrong with a Box.

You will find multiple threads on this on TBHP if you wish to go that way at some point of time. Also one of the many options for remapping and "boxing" - Petes site has both options and reading that too is quite informative. Check it out it has options for the fortuner.

Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited

Last edited by ACM : 18th March 2011 at 10:15.
Old 18th March 2011, 16:21   #167
BHPian

Default re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps!

guderian
nice car nice name nice language and nice humour ! i enjoy all your posts a lot.
This is vinod from chennai, a newbie.
Old 18th March 2011, 16:25   #168
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff :

POST DELETED. Do not post one lines that add no value to the thread

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further

Last edited by Mpower : 19th March 2011 at 00:22.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:54   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
This is amazing. So we have the manufacturers checking out T-BHP for all the ownership reports and feedback. That is good. It seems that T-BHP is being spied upon. But that would be helpful for both the customers as well as the car makers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Really liked the proactive approach of Toyota calling you up and offering their matching offical position (that too so soon) . Other Vendors could take a leaf from this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This is why Toyota rocks. I dont see the need to have friends over at corporate or technical with this manufacturer to make yourself heard and get advice.

The gravity towards the dark side is becoming infinitely stronger to resist!
Sure enough that is one very positive trait that Indian companies need to pick up - but never do !
And Venkat - time to think seriously now ? The only way to tackle temptation is to - give in !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Remapping is different from "The Box" treatment, in remapping they do not add an external box and the settings of the ECU itself are mapped again (remapped) to open up the reserve preformance from the engine. In the "Box" method they add an external easy to remove box that fools the ECU into thinking that the car needs extra fuel to various magnitudes at specific points along the rev range.

Remapping can not be reversed by us laymen and a professional is required, while the Box can be removed by us anytime and both fitting and removal are simple. (We need to remove it to keep the car within warranty). The Box can be removed without a trace, but the remap can be detected in a service centre.

A remap is more comprehensive and gives higher and smoother (read better) preformance, but there is more that can go wrong as well in the hands on a not too competent mapper. There is less that can go wrong with a Box.

You will find multiple threads on this on TBHP if you wish to go that way at some point of time. Also one of the many options for remapping and "boxing" - Petes site has both options and reading that too is quite informative. Check it out it has options for the fortuner.

Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited
Thanks indeed ACM. It means the remapping would mean playing around with the sofware and the ECU. Gulp ! No wonder a incompetent nincompoop can bugger it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
that's a uber cool TFort boss
Thanks for all your comments Vinod !
Old 18th March 2011, 20:14   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And Venkat - time to think seriously now ? The only way to tackle temptation is to - give in !
HG, you are one bad bad bad man! Venkat, ignore him!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 18th March 2011, 20:22   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
HG, you are one bad bad bad man! Venkat, ignore him!

Cheers,
Vikram
No, no Viks - all I meant was retain the old temptation and go in for a new one - see ?!! (Hey what does one do with the constantly growing horns at the top on my head ?!!)
Old 18th March 2011, 22:23   #172
Senior - BHPian

The Fleet Admiral Explores His Wild Side ! Mar 18, 2011.

For long now, since I brought home the Admiral, was itching to take him to someplace real wild and rough.

For long there was one location of the company which I was not too keen to visit given the fact that it was in a place which was rough and wild.

And when I was posed the killer Q by my boss as to whether I had ever visited that remote outpost of the company's empire it didn't take me a fraction of a second to respond that I was leaving for the place the very next day. (Ahem, my appraisal too is round the corner......please understand !)

And the day of the killer Q was yesterday. And the day of my response was today.

And now the pictures should be doing all the talking for once with some helpful (?) hints from my side.

First after I reached the rendevouz point and waited for my colleague who was to be guiding me to the site - had enough time to put in place the suggestion from Manuuj (Thanks mate that was a good tip !):

Lowered the rearmost seats - no more rattling !
Name:  DSC06612.JPG
Views: 1892
Size:  182.3 KB

Besides it gave me a fantastic view !
Name:  DSC06709.JPG
Views: 1743
Size:  169.7 KB

The moment my colleague came and had a look at the Admiral, his face turned white, as though he had seen a ghost. Short of shaking him and sprinkling water on his face I did everything else. And asked him the reason for his facial pallor. He mumbled, mainly to himself, that it was a Fortuner. I told him that indeed it was a Fortuner. Sensing something was amiss as when you are envious/jealous you are supposed
to turn green. Right ? And here the fellow was turning white ! And finally he picks up courage and mentions that where we were supposed to go - the ground was rather treacherous and many, many of the company vehicles had met their doom here etc and would require a lot of effort on the brakes. When prodded further he mentioned that he heard had heard that the Fortuner had no brakes !

Now here was a guy who was as close to knowledge about automobiles as I am to good deeds and the Pope. He doesn't even know the front end of his Verna from the back and every morning his poor ol' wife has to tell him which door to open to slip into the driver's seat ! Now even this kind of a guy carries/carried a perception that the TFort ain't got no brakes. Wow ! I then told him patiently about the upgrades in April 2010 etc. Still not very convinced, he nevertheless hopped on, having no choice and with my now grimmacing face and and gnashing teeth very near his face.

The reason I mentioned this is, that the Toyota folks who are reading this (including my now good friend !) - please do something to correct this perception ! Even automobilically challenged bozos seem to be carrying this perception and spreading the carnard as well. An ad blitz perhaps ?
(Errr....."Take a Brake.......try the Fortuner !" Bad joke you say ? OK you come out with your ads - but fast ! Altruistic Mr. Guderian ? Nope just keeping the resale value of the TFort intact or improving it !)

Then began the journey on the Mum-Pune Expressway. At Khandala had to get off to head deep into the mountains.

Name:  DSC06613.JPG
Views: 1759
Size:  212.8 KB
Attachment 519734
Name:  DSC06615.JPG
Views: 1713
Size:  229.5 KB

I knew the guy was not joking about the trail when I saw it. And his facial palour, thinking about the poor brakes, was not misplaced:
Name:  DSC06617.JPG
Views: 1733
Size:  265.9 KB
Name:  DSC06619.JPG
Views: 1690
Size:  176.5 KB
Name:  DSC06620.JPG
Views: 1627
Size:  240.4 KB
Name:  DSC06621.JPG
Views: 1704
Size:  302.0 KB
Name:  DSC06623.JPG
Views: 1604
Size:  153.7 KB

Believe me - there were/are no roads. Slippery, dusty, stony tracks which suddenly dropped into chasms without warning. No wonder he insisted on the presence of brakes !

And there were sudden rewards too - some great sights !
Name:  DSC06624.JPG
Views: 1617
Size:  163.4 KB

But then, back to the bowel shaker:
Name:  DSC06626.JPG
Views: 1586
Size:  166.2 KB
Name:  DSC06627.JPG
Views: 1613
Size:  202.8 KB

And finally the lovely site where after parking, I went around examining the Admiral for wear and tear:
Name:  DSC06630.JPG
Views: 1597
Size:  223.3 KB

No W&T. Nothing at all. But dust, dust & dust ! (All those dusty lines came to my mind......Eat my dust, bite the dust.....)
Name:  DSC06631.JPG
Views: 1565
Size:  194.5 KB
Name:  DSC06632.JPG
Views: 1546
Size:  190.2 KB
Name:  DSC06633.JPG
Views: 1567
Size:  231.3 KB
Name:  DSC06660.JPG
Views: 1568
Size:  147.8 KB

Even the 'Kaki' of the site was impressed by the dusty, menacing T Fort.
Name:  DSC06638.JPG
Views: 1545
Size:  226.0 KB
Name:  DSC06661.JPG
Views: 1569
Size:  252.8 KB

Task completed in a few hours (Really ? Task ? Or was it just an excuse to drive out the Admiral from the confines of the city - be honest !) and headed back. Same route, same scares. But the passenger now was far more comfortable having seen the Admiral's prowess in the morning.
Name:  DSC06695.JPG
Views: 1608
Size:  213.9 KB
Name:  DSC06696.JPG
Views: 1501
Size:  216.9 KB
Name:  DSC06698.JPG
Views: 1496
Size:  212.5 KB
Name:  DSC06699.JPG
Views: 1509
Size:  273.1 KB

Stopped at another site of the company. This time the terrain changed from 'sandish' to absolute 'Nam terrain ! Expected the VietCong to jump out with their ubiquitous AK47s.......
Name:  DSC06701.JPG
Views: 1554
Size:  335.8 KB
Name:  DSC06702.JPG
Views: 1539
Size:  415.1 KB
Name:  DSC06706.JPG
Views: 1518
Size:  254.7 KB

The mission completed (Oh c'mon - stop giving an excuse fancy names like mission, task, goal, KRA etc ) headed straight back before darkness fell.

On the Pune-Mum EWay Admiral ran pretty hard. Was home in a jiffy !
Ahh......end of another wonderful day with the Admiral.

Overall impressions after the mild off roading (to me it was anything but mild !):
1. Breaks - Behaved very well. No sweat at all.
2. Tyres - The Dunlop AT20 worked very well this time I feel. May be I was hasty in passing my judgement earlier about it being just adequate. Today I certainly felt it exceeded expectations. Not a single place did it slip.
3. Torque was amazing. Never felt the need to ever engage the HL range. Even in foot deep dust.

This place really turns really treacherous and like a bog pit in the rains. That's the time really to hit this place !
Incidentally all the vehicles deployed by the company are 4X4s. Largely Sumo 4X4s. First time I was seeing them in this format. Drove one for some time. Don't ask me to comment on it.

And some tidbits:
1.Filled up fuel yesterday. The city average was showing to be 11.89 KMPL ! Very happy. This would be as good if not better than the Scorp.
But with today's hunt for the leather the next average is going to be pits perhaps !
2. I was not happy with the landing deck ( parking bay at home) of the Admiral. So gave him a ski jump and an angled deck. Meaning I did the resloping of the ramp. Now the Admiral is very happy and doesn't have to hang on for his dear life. And the bay is now complete. Cladding at the back and enough space in the front:
Name:  DSC06712.JPG
Views: 1541
Size:  230.6 KB
Name:  DSC06714.JPG
Views: 1551
Size:  189.0 KB

And now awaiting another adventure with the Admiral.

And tomorrow the GWD (Gaadi Dhone Wallah) is going to be one angry young man !
Attached Images

Last edited by Guderian : 18th March 2011 at 23:07.
Old 18th March 2011, 23:46   #173
Senior - BHPian

Great going General. So now the Admiral has conquered the expressways, highways, city traffic jams, stony, dusty tracks. Any thing else remaining for the Admiral to say Bring it on?
Old 19th March 2011, 09:53   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Great going General. So now the Admiral has conquered the expressways, highways, city traffic jams, stony, dusty tracks. Any thing else remaining for the Admiral to say Bring it on?
Hey Amit, Thanks.
But frankly heart o' hearts I feel I haven't done much with the Admiral - just kidstuff, which'll have the real roadies to snigger into their cuffs.

For a real highway run I think it is GQ dash or bust.

For some real offroading - needn't say much but some repeated incursions into real hard terrain, slush, rocks, deep water filled trenches; sand dunes of the deserts and what ever you have.....

Something for endurance ? Some tough sectors need to be done on the Ladakh run - Wari La or some such thing ?

Well so many runs to be done ! How ? When ?
Old 19th March 2011, 10:20   #175
Senior - BHPian

HG, bring your tfort to Bangalore, prabhu and I will take you offroading ;-)
Old 19th March 2011, 10:50   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
HG, bring your tfort to Bangalore, prabhu and I will take you offroading ;-)
Hi Venkat - Firstly - change your grocery cart - as you have described it ! And then the off roading challenge in Bangalore will be accepted with glee and hands rubbed in anticipation. Even the Admiral needs company right ?
Old 19th March 2011, 20:53   #177
BHPian

You are most welcome Sir! Glad to be of service to a fellow Bhpian and Fortuner Owner! (Actually its a more a case of the Fortuner owning me!!)

Saw your mini trip/mission and could not help but chuckle to myself as it dawned on me that i too have been quite the eager volunteer whenever a visit to the boonies is called for!

Cure for Ulcers while waiting for Fortuner..10,000/-
Toyota Fortuner..21,00,000/-
Smile it puts on my face every single time..Priceless.
Old 19th March 2011, 23:55   #178
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well so many runs to be done ! How ? When ?
What about joining a Pune TBHP meet? Our thread on the Tapri meet is pretty infectious. The Admiral has been warned.
Old 20th March 2011, 01:06   #179
Senior - BHPian

Wow! You had me in splits. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post.
The tfort as all fortuners is one capable machine. Making light work of your off road excursion. And as you mentuoned is at ease on the highway too. You just cant beat the robustness and reliability of a toyota ladder chassis. Had even read somewhere that these beats are so well built that they would probably even outlast their owners. No wonder theres a huge waiting list outside toyota dealerships for these beats.
Old 20th March 2011, 10:34   #180
BHPian

@Guderian: though I am late to join the 'battle' please accept my heartiest congratulations on owing a truly well engineered marvel (a la Panzerkampfwagen). For many of us mere 'civilians' your thread provides a ringside view of owning an SUV and makes us aspire to own one someday.

ps: A five star officer deserves a five star rating. You have got a truly delightful way of putting even mundane things across. Keep up the good work.
Closed Thread