Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 17th June 2013, 13:01   #1891
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
How did the brakes fare after the wheels went submerged for those few patches?
Hi Monaro,
As with any vehicle, which has its wheels submerged, here too one emerged from the pool with absolutely squelchy, soggy, ineffective brakes.

Normally what I do after such episodes is to very slowly go to the side and then press the brakes hard 3/4 times as though literally squeezing it dry and then move ahead, again very slowly, for about 25 odd mts and do it again and then cast off.

Works well for me - as it did yesterday as well.

Last edited by Guderian : 17th June 2013 at 13:02.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:00   #1892
BHPian

Maximus too got a "Booster" dose a couple of days back. And boy what a change it has brought. The brakes have become really snappy. Definitely a 30-40% improvement as said by General.
So those of you who are sitting on the fence of Brake Booster Upgrade... just jump without any delay. The upgrade is just WORTH it.

I shall be posting a detailed report on my thread. Since this thread has become 1 stop shop for info. on Toyota Fortuner i am adding my experience here too.

And General thanks for uploading the photographs of BB upgrade. They came very handy in guiding the ASC grease monkeys.

Last edited by columbus : 18th June 2013 at 12:01.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:57   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Monaro,
As with any vehicle, which has its wheels submerged, here too one emerged from the pool with absolutely squelchy, soggy, ineffective brakes.

Normally what I do after such episodes is to very slowly go to the side and then press the brakes hard 3/4 times as though literally squeezing it dry and then move ahead, again very slowly, for about 25 odd mts and do it again and then cast off.

Works well for me - as it did yesterday as well.
Yes, this is recommended by the Fortuner manual. I also take the next 1-2 kms easy after going through water.

Water and mud are poison for all vehicles, in spite of all the cool/feel good photos of mud bashing and water crossings.

I try to avoid water and mud unless I have to go through them. I am lazy, so I don't look forward to all the cleaning that one has to do after a water/mud session.

But if one can't avoid, then the vehicle is capable enough
Old 20th June 2013, 15:27   #1894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
1. Maximus too got a "Booster" dose a couple of days back.
2.Since this thread has become 1 stop shop for info. on Toyota Fortuner i am adding my experience here too.

3. And General thanks for uploading the photographs of BB upgrade. They came very handy in guiding the ASC grease monkeys.
Hey Columbus,
Long time dear chap !
1. Great news indeed. Glad it worked out well. Have reports from other owners that their ASCs are trying to figure out as to what exactly is this booster upgrade business, while furiously scratching their heads !
2. Ha ha ha...amusing !
3. My pleasure. Awaiting your detailed BB upgrade report on Maximus' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I try to avoid water and mud unless I have to go through them. I am lazy, so I don't look forward to all the cleaning that one has to do after a water/mud session.
Couldn't agree with you more on this.
Salt water - never. Can be a killer for the vehicle if you intend keeping it for a long time.
Mud - I try and avoid mud as much as possible - it can get into every crevice and damage moving parts - like prop shaft.
Water - Well, least of the evils but avaoidable. But in a shehar like Mumbai unavoidable for certain periods of the year. So best hope is to keep it well washed !
And those rare OTRs ? Well, sometimes the best way to beat temptation is by giving in to it !

Last edited by Guderian : 20th June 2013 at 15:46.
Old 30th June 2013, 18:47   #1895
Senior - BHPian

A Weekend Like None Other...

Weekend cleaning.
As usual. Spit and polish.
Hard labour.
Name:  DSC02333.JPG
Views: 1312
Size:  223.0 KB
Name:  DSC02335.JPG
Views: 1309
Size:  195.7 KB
Name:  DSC02336.JPG
Views: 1311
Size:  186.9 KB
Name:  DSC02337.JPG
Views: 1308
Size:  197.0 KB
Name:  DSC02341.JPG
Views: 1321
Size:  282.8 KB

And all for what ?

This ?
Name:  DSC02398.JPG
Views: 1317
Size:  268.6 KB

And this ?
Name:  DSC02399.JPG
Views: 1291
Size:  292.5 KB

And what's this ?
Name:  DSC02379.JPG
Views: 1265
Size:  326.3 KB

But this does make it certainly worth it...
Name:  DSC02401.JPG
Views: 1273
Size:  244.7 KB
Name:  DSC02405.JPG
Views: 1468
Size:  232.4 KB

Well, report certianly would follow.

But after some time, for my brain & lungs to get rid of the fresh, crackling mountain air from the system and think straight after a few hours of chemical laced Mumbai air.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 20:46   #1896
Senior - BHPian

And, as promised, here is the report thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...chi-trail.html (Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...)

Shall mention about Admiral's performance here in due course of time.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 11:45   #1897
Senior - BHPian

Now coming to Admiral's performance and individual snaps.
Needless to state that Admiral performed commendably except in one area.

Started off with these figures.

MID- FE:
Name:  DSC02345.JPG
Views: 1263
Size:  203.9 KB

Trip Meter:
Name:  DSC02344.JPG
Views: 1239
Size:  186.4 KB

And ended with these:

FE:
Name:  DSC02422.JPG
Views: 1217
Size:  185.6 KB

Total distance done:
Name:  DSC02425.JPG
Views: 1198
Size:  141.4 KB

I was particularly delighted with the FE figures. Though there was a good highway run, about 40 odd KMs of the total was done on the trail with the gear constantly on 1st or 2nd. And some sections done with the TC on HL and some spots on LL.

The conditions were quite trying especially some clay-filled sections. The power, the torque and the way the old boy handled himself - all superb.

And one point which was a major let down. The tyres. The clay slaughtered it. That was a real pity. While many tyres have the self cleaning feature the Dunlop seemed to have clay attracting feature !

And some more snaps.

A brief pause before a water crossing:
Name:  DSC02377.JPG
Views: 1246
Size:  285.8 KB
Name:  DSC02378.JPG
Views: 1220
Size:  283.9 KB

A clean splash in the water & out !
Name:  DSC02380.JPG
Views: 1200
Size:  295.9 KB

Poised approach:
Name:  DSC02386.JPG
Views: 1179
Size:  248.9 KB
Name:  DSC02393.JPG
Views: 1172
Size:  208.0 KB

The Master and the Slave. (Slave on the right)
Name:  DSC02395.JPG
Views: 1201
Size:  216.1 KB
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 15:31   #1898
Senior - BHPian

One point by way of feedback I had forgotten to state in my earlier post and last few individual snaps of Admiral from last Sunday's OTR.

Name:  DSC02397.JPG
Views: 1177
Size:  264.0 KB

The brakes !
After upgrading the brake booster this was the first longish drive on the highyway. And boy, am I glad that I upgraded Admiral's brake system. It helped greatly with some sharp, precise braking on the trails especially round the bends and where it called for precision steering and maneuvers.

And on the expressway on the way to Khandala there was a scare when I had to brake in a hurry when some joker jumped on to my lane out of the blue. The braking distance has, I must say, reduced quite a bit. And the soggy, squelchy, 'standing on a marshland' feeling has disappeared.
The confidence level to push Admiral to higher speeds has increased no doubt.
That's that.

Admiral amidst the scenic sorroundings during the photoshoot session.
Name:  DSC02388.JPG
Views: 1112
Size:  257.8 KB
Name:  DSC02392.JPG
Views: 1107
Size:  252.5 KB

On the return run:
Name:  DSC02416.JPG
Views: 1199
Size:  267.2 KB

Back at base. With a layer of coating...awaiting the next Sunday's spit and polish ministrations. It's going to be a long session with the ol' boy !
Name:  DSC02428.JPG
Views: 1113
Size:  285.1 KB

Tally ho !

Last edited by Guderian : 4th July 2013 at 15:34.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 07:23   #1899
BHPian

5 Star rated thread. Guderian, this thread is by far the most comprehensive and educative thread for owners and future owners of the Toyota Fortuner. This is my first post on this thread but I must say that there is not a day when I do not visit this thread to see the updates. Have been following all the posts made by the other proud owners well. I have recently picked up a Fortuner and love it to bits.
Old 6th July 2013, 20:04   #1900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
The Master and the Slave. (Slave on the right)
That is the problem with male vehicles. "The Mistress and the Slave" is so much better in multiple dimensions.

Btw, which coating?

P.S. I had to replace my right side mirror after some idiot bumped into it. It cost me 17K all inclusive!!

Last edited by nilanjanray : 6th July 2013 at 20:06.
Old 7th July 2013, 23:25   #1901
Senior - BHPian

And as usual the Sunday after any OTR is a busy day !
And the GDW is not amused at all.

There is the usual maha-mega cleaning:
Name:  DSC02436.JPG
Views: 1031
Size:  236.6 KB
Name:  DSC02438.JPG
Views: 1047
Size:  249.7 KB

And a thorough inspection.

-Tyres found OK. After last week's run over some terribly sharp stones was a little worried about cuts and nicks on the tyres. Today's inspection showed nothing amiss from whatever I could visually check. And no loss of air etc as verified by the inflator. Big relief.

- All lines found OK and no leaks spotted. No oil drippage anywhere. Everything else in the engine bay/elsewhere checked and nothing unusual to report.

- Suspension components seem fine and in its places as usual. The steering check over the last few days and today's drive showed everything to be normal. Must give due compliments to the Fortuner's tough/robust suspension system.

- Everything else seems OK but for two things I guess I picked up from the OTR:

A scrape on the protective skid plate no. 2 protecting the oil sump. A minor one and I had felt the thump of the rock when Admiral sank into the clay while moving ahead on the way back near the landslide point at Rajmachi.
A minor bend in the plate which shall be straightened out at the next service.
Name:  DSC02439.JPG
Views: 1030
Size:  211.7 KB

And while the cleaning was on I spotted this high above Admiral:
Name:  DSC02429.JPG
Views: 1023
Size:  259.8 KB

Name:  DSC02443.JPG
Views: 1063
Size:  235.5 KB

I guess Admiral must have picked up this chap from the jungles last week and this week it decided to move along.
The little fella is lucky that I am not a Frenchman. Though a little butter and garlic would have helped.

And a scene from outside a nearby mall we drove to during the day. Don't get to see these kind of scenes very often:
Name:  DSC02444.JPG
Views: 1008
Size:  226.3 KB

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Chief View Post
5 Star rated thread. Guderian, this thread is by far the most comprehensive and educative thread for owners and future owners of the Toyota Fortuner...
Hi I-Chief,
Congratulations on getting the magnificient black Fortuner ! I am sure you'll have great fun with it.
Thank you very much for the kind words which warmed the cockles of my heart.
Have sent you a PM - do catch it.

Look forward to your ownership thread and experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

1. Btw, which coating?

2. P.S. I had to replace my right side mirror after some idiot bumped into it. It cost me 17K all inclusive!!
1. A coating of clay, mud, grime and highway muck !

2. Sorry to hear that. That must have hurt ! Incidentally is it 17K for the pair or single piece ? And do they sell it as a pair or single piece ?

Last edited by Guderian : 7th July 2013 at 23:29.
Old 8th July 2013, 21:52   #1902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have recently picked up a Fortuner and love it to bits
Not to spam HG's thread, congratulations i-chief for your new fortuner.

Will help if you can start your ownership thread and start sharing your experiences.

Agree with you that this thread of Guderian is a compendium of Fortuner knowledge, amazingly useful for all of us.

Happy Motoring!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 09:47   #1903
Senior - BHPian

Long time.
Nothing much to report except that Admiral is running on an even keel and everything appears to be tickety boo (touch wood) !

A Toyota Fortuner event on Sunday:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post3192351 (Fortuners in search of Heaven through the "Slopes of Hell" !)

Missed by Admiral & me.
Name:  DSC02446.JPG
Views: 1126
Size:  201.0 KB
Do catch the reasons for this rather strange snap on the thread linked above.

Aloha !
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 13:09   #1904
BHPian

Hi Folks,

We are considering the Fortuner as our Innova replacement. I was just wondering if we could make the ride of the 4x4 more compliant? perhaps some sand bags in the trunk to increase the payload? Everyday use will involve 50 kms of highway, city and broken roads with 2 people and perhaps it will even replace the Innova as our car for city runs with 4-5 people over weekends as well.
If this is a no go, then the Santa Fe is what we will probably end up with, though god knows the wait for the Fluidic is getting increasingly frustrating (we've been looking for a suitable replacement for a very long time).

Thanks

imp!
Old 8th August 2013, 09:25   #1905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hi Folks,

We are considering the Fortuner as our Innova replacement. I was just wondering if we could make the ride of the 4x4 more compliant? perhaps some sand bags in the trunk to increase the payload...
Hi imp!
That's going to be rather unfeasible (sand bags or other ballast materials) & I don't think it is going to make much of a difference to the ride quality. Though I do feel that the ride Q of the Fortuner is rather good, as I like the stiff suspension set up. But I guess that is something of personal preference.
Would suggest you look at the Pajero Sport as well in addition to Santa/Banta Fe...
Do let us know of the outcome and your experiences.
Closed Thread