Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 11th November 2013, 10:09   #1951
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
I wanted to know from the people who have been driving the fortuner about how is the actual ride in the second and third row
Hi Torquepeedo,

Good query! I appreciate your clarity on the 'expectations' of a true blooded SUV and hence my 2 cents.

1. If you manage/work on the tyre pressure to suit your needs, I found the ride not bad at all(compartive to the Scorpio with Lotus tuned suspension).
2. The long drives on smooth tarmac are superb, on the bumpy roads can be little bouncy. The good part of the 'bounce' is it is not the horrible swaying boat motion that you get on a Fortuner but the vertical movement.

One good method of saying that Fortuner has an acceptable ride quality on all roads is my mother's willingness to get into it rather than asking to take the sedan out(whch earlier she would do, as she has motion sickness!).

I hope this helps!

Hi Guderian,

Sorry for digressing on your thread but to aid somebody's good decision making!
getsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 12:43   #1952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Have been reading about the uncomfortable ride in the second and third row of the fortuner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Sorry for digressing on your thread but to aid somebody's good decision making...
Hi TorquePeedo,
Firstly, getsurya has very succinctly captured the Fortuner suspension experience.
I can state a few points from my ownership experience over the last 2.5 odd years.
- I have never occupied the 2nd or worse the 3rd row seats ever. I don't think Admiral's 3rd row seats have ever been used. But it is of great value as luggage stabilisers !
- I have had many passengers in the 2nd row - family, friends and the odd foe. And some of them on very long drives. Overall they have been very satisfied with the ride quality on the highway. The stiff suspension helps here as per me.
On rough roads it certainly is bouncy and could wake you up from sleep if the vehicle is driven unduly fast. At sane speeds appropriate to the road conditions it is not too bad.
However let's be clear that the suspension is stiff and so while there is no yawing/pitching/rolling motion - it might on occasions cause an increase of the occupants' altitude before gravity takes over. But no horror stories to be worried about.
However as a driver I simply love the stiff suspension set up. Gives me a taut feeling and aids the handling greatly is what comes to my mind.

getsurya: The only place I felt you digressed was when you made this statement - "The good part of the 'bounce' is it is not the horrible swaying boat motion that you get on a Fortuner..."
I am sure you meant some other vehicle !
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 12:52   #1953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"The good part of the 'bounce' is it is not the horrible swaying boat motion that you get on a Fortuner..."
Hi Guderian,
Probably, I should frame my statements more carefully. Fortuner does not have that boat motion sway is what I meant!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 09:12   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Guderian,
Probably, I should frame my statements more carefully. Fortuner does not have that boat motion sway is what I meant!
Ha ha...Got you there getsurya !

Another interesting fact I've been observing on the streets of Mumbai is the large number of...hold your breath...brand new Toyota Fortuner private taxis - with yellow number plates.
Sacrilege ! No doubt. Sacre bleu !! No doubt, no doubt.

Saw one today and discovered that it was a 4X2 MT. And then realised that with the release of the 4X2 MT variant a whole new market has possibly opened up for the Fortuner (much to my annoyance of course).
But then the question that begs an answer is - as to why would a private taxi operator want to run a fleet of Toyota Fortuner 4x2s when the Toyota Innova is available as a much cheaper option ?
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 09:22   #1955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Saw one today and discovered that it was a 4X2 MT. And then realised that with the release of the 4X2 MT variant a whole new market has possibly opened up for the Fortuner (much to my annoyance of course).
But then the question that begs an answer is - as to why would a private taxi operator want to run a fleet of Toyota Fortuner 4x2s when the Toyota Innova is available as a much cheaper option ?
Hi Guderian,

Agree with you that Fortuner taxis is a huge surprise!

The taxi operator is probably trying to provide the 'elan' of a Fortuner for the few who can afford it as a taxi service(most of them would be paid/reimbursed by companies/corporates).
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 11:10   #1956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
On rough roads it certainly is bouncy and could wake you up from sleep if the vehicle is driven unduly fast. At sane speeds appropriate to the road conditions it is not too bad.
However let's be clear that the suspension is stiff and so while there is no yawing/pitching/rolling motion - it might on occasions cause an increase of the occupants' altitude before gravity takes over. But no horror stories to be worried about.
However as a driver I simply love the stiff suspension set up. Gives me a taut feeling and aids the handling greatly is what comes to my mind.
I've been doing a crazy thing since day one. Whenever I see a bad stretch of road (bit uneven gravel road), I slam on the gas. I feel higher level of comfort going at say 50km/hr on a bad stretch vs 10-20km/hr. And the passengers also find it fun to zip through.

Please share your experience driving over bad roads.
Old 12th November 2013, 12:15   #1957
BHPian

Quote:

Ha ha...Got you there getsurya !

Another interesting fact I've been observing on the streets of Mumbai is the large number of...hold your breath...brand new Toyota Fortuner private taxis - with yellow number plates.

Well there are mercs too as luxury taxis
TorquePeedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 08:47   #1958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizanfan View Post
Please share your experience driving over bad roads.
kaizanfan - As far as bad roads with gravel and bumps are concerned I pretty much do the same and Admiral handles it rather...errr...admirably. And I see no major issue in such conditions. But of course do it at sane speeds - quite lower than tarmac speeds.
However when there are potholes and craters - that's when the throwing around begins and I slow down quite a bit. Both for passenger comfort and to prevent ill-effects on the suspension (though I know it can take it).

OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Well there are mercs too as luxury taxis
TP - What you are possibly talking about are the Mercedes taxis/vehicles owned by luxury hotels and other outfits - black number plates and yellow lettering. Yes, I have seen plenty of them including a fleet of Jaguars of Taj-Mumbai and a Rolls Royce of the Royal Orchid, Bangalore and some fancy wheels of Hotel Sayaji in Pune.
However what I am referring to is the private fleet cab types with yellow number plates and black lettering. Personally haven't seen fancy wheels in that variety. Of course now the Fortuner (4X2 MT) seems to have gone there, if at all you can call it fancy wheels.
Old 13th November 2013, 17:17   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
Of course now the Fortuner (4X2 MT) seems to have gone there, if at all you can call it fancy wheels.
I regularly see a group of 3 white Toyota Fortuners,all of them full-time 4x4 :o in Andheri East with yellow plates and these are all the post-facelift 2012 models!
Old 13th November 2013, 18:09   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
I regularly see a group of 3 white Toyota Fortuners,all of them full-time 4x4 :o in Andheri East with yellow plates and these are all the post-facelift 2012 models!
There you go ! It adds quite a bit of mystery to the already bubbling pot.
Quite possible that many of them could be leased full time to senior executives of corporates. But would be interesting to confirm it and the thought behind doing so with a 4x4/AWD version.
Old 13th November 2013, 18:18   #1961
BHPian

Quote:
There you go ! It adds quite a bit of mystery to the already bubbling pot. Quite possible that many of them could be leased full time to senior executives of corporates. But would be interesting to confirm it and the thought behind doing so with a 4x4/AWD version.
One theory which I feel is the actual case might be that these yellow plate Fortuners are bought as taxis but used as personal vehicles,like some of them do with high end cars(some tax saving plan ???).But why 3 ?
Old 14th November 2013, 19:12   #1962
BHPian

It's the same story as the Innova if you think about it. Even though initial investment is there, but the reliability and terrific resale ensure good ROI from a taxi operator perspective. The same will hold true for the Fortuner, with the higher initial investment being taken care by higher fares.

Lastly, you have to remember that taxi operators are also an aspirational lot If they can afford buying one, the first and foremost choice will be the fortuner.
Old 20th November 2013, 12:21   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Interesting weekend 'twas which went by...

Firstly a two day trip to nearby Lonavala for an official do with a few colleagues. A routine run but uncharacteristically I got Admiral to open up on the expressway, on the way out and while getting back, for brief bursts at top speed (XXX KMPH) just to check out if all was well with the old boy.
It was and is.

A few snaps.

Charms of the night at the location:
Name:  DSC02947.JPG
Views: 1157
Size:  263.8 KB
Name:  DSC02953.JPG
Views: 1140
Size:  310.4 KB

Day break:
Name:  DSC02958.JPG
Views: 1149
Size:  237.5 KB
Name:  DSC02959.JPG
Views: 1149
Size:  247.3 KB

And a few shots from a short break on the run back to Mumbai:
Name:  DSC02964.JPG
Views: 1123
Size:  122.7 KB
Name:  DSC02974.JPG
Views: 1103
Size:  149.2 KB
Name:  DSC02976.JPG
Views: 1061
Size:  226.2 KB
Name:  DSC02978.JPG
Views: 1068
Size:  281.8 KB
Name:  DSC02979.JPG
Views: 1042
Size:  226.2 KB
Name:  DSC02984.JPG
Views: 1038
Size:  178.2 KB
Name:  DSC02988.JPG
Views: 1046
Size:  189.9 KB
Name:  DSC02994001.JPG
Views: 1024
Size:  273.9 KB

Needless to state my colleagues (mostly all young ladies...ahem !) were rather impressed by Admiral and his ways.

And the aggressive driving saw me getting a lower than normal FE figure of 11.5KMPL on the MID.

Next day the routine Sunday morning cleaning saw a bit of a kerfuffle. And herein lies a small tip for fellow Fortuner owners here.

It was the day I had to lower the stepney and top up the air. Now everyone and his uncle knows that the Fortuner's three piece rod mechanism used for lowering the stepney and deploy the bottle jack is the worst in the business. I have stated this at the begining of this thread as well.
Name:  DSC09428.JPG
Views: 2157
Size:  232.8 KB
Name:  DSC09429001.JPG
Views: 2080
Size:  245.2 KB

So this day I assembled the rod as usual, lowered the stepney...
Name:  DSC09432.JPG
Views: 1150
Size:  199.1 KB
...topped up the air and then raised it back. And then while removing the tool realised that the hooked end section which goes into the aperture remained there as it disconnected from the section preceding it. Annoyed, as this can be a real pain.

Was thinking about a trip to the ASC next day and the wasted time when I decided to explore and voila ! Discovered that the hooked section can be easily retrieved. If the stepney is raised and firmly back, then one has to kneel down and insert your hand between the nearest spokes to the stepney stowing mechanism.
Name:  DSC09445.JPG
Views: 1025
Size:  133.7 KB
Name:  DSC09434.JPG
Views: 1023
Size:  236.4 KB
And you can feel the hooked section in between the mechanism and the bumper. Gently push the disconnected section back to the aperture and when you see it appearing - glare at it and pull it out. Spank it for being a naughty item if you are upto it.

If the hooked section jams in the mechanism when the stepney is lowered, it is much easier to put your hand below locate it and push it back and retrieve it from the apperture.
Name:  DSC09444.JPG
Views: 1039
Size:  220.8 KB

And soon the mechanism was secured and stashed away:
Name:  DSC09450001.JPG
Views: 1021
Size:  205.5 KB

And as advised by TBHPian and fellow Fortuner owner Nilanjan - will purchase a single piece rod from the ASC to be safe, on my next visit there.

OT

And Sunday evening was fun too. Hooked up with TBHPian Book Keeper who stays nearby and went to a spot near my house for a look-see of this beast which was resting there. Seeking a new owner.
Name:  DSC02997.JPG
Views: 1125
Size:  211.4 KB

Yeah, it's a 1986 (or thereabouts) GM Suburban Scottsdale. Had mentioned about this sometime ago on the thread - about it lurking somewhere nearby and moving around like the Loch Ness monster. Finally cornered it just next door.

This creature gave Admiral the jitters just by the looks and size.
Name:  DSC02998.JPG
Views: 1040
Size:  220.3 KB

Had the engine started, peered at the insides etc. Was tempted to drive but finally didn't.

Name:  DSC03000.JPG
Views: 1032
Size:  296.1 KB
Name:  DSC03001.JPG
Views: 985
Size:  116.0 KB
Name:  DSC03002.JPG
Views: 1007
Size:  285.6 KB
Name:  DSC03003.JPG
Views: 988
Size:  281.7 KB

An interesting mechanism to hold up the bonnet. Has it on either side.
Name:  DSC03004.JPG
Views: 1076
Size:  267.0 KB

Wasn't too impressed otherwise - by the upkeep, the original petrol V8 was swapped for a DCM-Toyota diesel. A/T replaced by a M/T. And worse wasn't a 4X4. Pity. But otherwise looked nice by and large.

Name:  DSC02999.JPG
Views: 1238
Size:  292.2 KB

Interesting day really.

Last edited by Guderian : 20th November 2013 at 12:34.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 17:20   #1964
BHPian

The rod assembly is really a pain.I was stuck in the same situation a few months back when my tyre got punctured in the middle of the Mumbai Pune expressway.But thanks to the calm nature of my friend he got it out after some efforts.

Can you elaborate on the single rod which fellow bhpian nilanjan was talking about?
Old 21st November 2013, 08:25   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
I was stuck in the same situation a few months back when my tyre got punctured...
That, truly, is mighty strange - tyre punctured on E-Way and changed there. Did your friend have to replace the tyre on his Fortuner with a new one - because of a large rupture ? What caused it ?

And a single piece rod, as the name suggests, is a single piece rod in place of the three section/piece rod !
Only thing would be that because of its length it'll have to be stashed away in the rear/luggage compartment area possibly, under the mat, in place of the neat stowage of the 3 piece tool along with the tool kit in the tool compartment.
Closed Thread