Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 4th March 2014, 13:18   #2011
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Purpose ? What was the purpose you ask ? But my lips are sealed for now.
All I'll share is the snap below for now and request your patience. A report will certainly follow. But in due course of time.
Watch this space for more goes the cliche, doesn't it ?
Aloha !
And here's the report !
Two Sundays ago had a chance to test drive the 2014 Santa Fe and compare it the Fortuner...Admiral really... thanks to T-BHP.
Name:  DSC03681.JPG
Views: 3734
Size:  159.0 KB

Read all about it here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3382971 (Hyundai Santa Fe : Official Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Successfully completed reading your thread the n'th time HG! Just for the sake of reading your kind words. Love your attention to detail and hope Toyota uses you for Fortuner endorsements !
Thank you Ahmed - you are very kind indeed !
Look forward to our next drive.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 15:26   #2012
BHPian

Quote:
Two Sundays ago had a chance to test drive the 2014 Santa Fe and compare it the Fortuner...Admiral really... thanks to T-BHP.
My all time favorite Fortuner for its bulletproof reliability is what i would prefer any day. I have been hooked to your thread just for that and the way Admiral is maintained along with low cost of ownership, fortuner has earned more respect in my view.

When you posted the comparison picture with Santa Fe, i thought either you are adding it to your garage along with Admiral or parting way with Admiral, but thanks to the Team-Bhp report my doubt was cleared.

Wish you many happy miles in Admiral
Old 4th March 2014, 15:42   #2013
BHPian

Hey Goody Saar, doubt my namesake speaks at any time, to seek votes or otherwise, I was just submitting my vote of confidence in you and your ride.
Balvinder does happen to be mum's name ( i am amazed at the coincidence ), guess dad would have had a word or two if I had named my Fortuner after his wife and it would have led to all kinds of confusion as you can imagine.
My Fortuner remains unnamed and will be 3 this month. A Ownership thread is unlikely. I have been enjoying it the same way you enjoy Admiral and there is really nothing different to put up. It is truly tough and dependable. We have been taking it almost all over the country and not a squeak to report in its performance.
So cheers.
Manmohan.

Last edited by manmohanmaan : 4th March 2014 at 15:46.
Old 5th March 2014, 09:48   #2014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Wish you many happy miles in Admiral
Hi driving_smartly,
The Santa Fe does have some very desirable features though. But yes as mentioned on the official thread with each of these features, these days, comes greater level of electronic wizardy which in our dusty, humid and other general weather conditions can go on the blink faster.
That stated the ride and handling is excellent of course on the Santa Fe - thanks to the low slung design and GC - which again brings its own set of issues while driving in India, even for a soft roader.
Siiigh ! You can never get a perfect blend of anything in life, can you ? Such is life.
Thank you for the wishes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
My Fortuner remains unnamed and will be 3 this month. A Ownership thread is unlikely. I have been enjoying it the same way you enjoy Admiral and there is really nothing different to put up. It is truly tough and dependable. We have been taking it almost all over the country and not a squeak to report in its performance.
So cheers.
Manmohan.
Hi Manmohan,
1. Ha ha ha ! The jibe about your namesake was great.
2. And so was the clarification about the namkaran of your Fortuner. But then, sorry about the moniker mix up of course ! But I still vaguely remember an exchange we had in the past...but anyway...
3. Great to read the pithy and very precise report on your Fortuner. What has taken me about 135 odd pages here, seems to have been canned by you in 3 lines. Bravo !
Any stories from the ASC ? And news on the service/maintenance cost front ? Quite curious to know.

Last edited by Guderian : 5th March 2014 at 09:50.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 10:04   #2015
BHPian

Before buying the Toyota Fortuner I had taken a look at the Hyundai Santa Fe. I didn't go for it for the following reasons:
- Not much company on the road. I am able to spot a Santa Fe only once or twice a week.
- Trouble free and low cost maintenance is not proven (again not much data available due to fewer vehicles on the road)
- Low GC
- Pricey for an Hyundai. Difficult to accept a Hyundai in the luxury category. They need to do some marketing on this aspect. German soft roaders available around Santa Fe's price point.
- Felt like it was an old model since the fluidic version continued to be in the making for a long time.
- Test drive was not available. Trident informed me that they would be able to provide a short test drive only when a vehicle arrives for delivery to a customer.

First four points still hold true.
kaizanfan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 16:06   #2016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizanfan View Post
Before buying the Toyota Fortuner I had taken a look at the Hyundai Santa Fe...
Pertinent points kaizanfan. You should put it up on the Santa Fe thread.
Yes, it's scary when you own one of the few models of its type on the road !
Old 1st April 2014, 09:42   #2017
BHPian

Smile Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

RESPECT.
This is the only word which crossed my mind while I was reading your "epic" on Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro. Starting from your evaluation process to narrow down to the Toyota Fortuner, to the detailed daily / weekly activities of cleaning, refuelling.. sorry bunkering, (which smaller souls like us treat as mundane) to some of the (mis)adventures in the wild and the running in with the ASC chaps (aka "grease monkeys"). Your details on the service activities like the propellor shaft greasing and battery electrolyte checking, (which we hitherto thought would be taken care of and did not bother to reconfirm) have now instilled us with confidence to take it up with the ASC guys. The ample doses wit and humour thrown in made it a fabulous read. Naming of vehicle parts (like battery being Mr. Sparx) was indeed hilarious. The episode of front wheel alignment and linking it to the movies of yesteryear
Finally I would like to say that you have shown that if one has a passion for one's ride, one need not be a technical person to solve the problems.

I am very very late to tune in to the "TOGO CHANNEL", but better late than never. As I have been messaging you in the course of my read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It will me honour to share my 2 cents in "TOGO CHANNEL"

HATS OFF TO YOU!!!! GENERAL HEINZ WILHELM GUDERIAN!!!
samish_g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 08:06   #2018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
RESPECT.
Hi Samish,
Thank you very much for coming across to Togo Channel and you warm words of appreciation. I am glad you liked what you read so far - I have also had some great fun putting it up here.

Though I must say that you are one brave soul to have plodded through 100+ pages of mind numbing trash & poppycock !

Gracias once again and be around.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 19:53   #2019
AJo
BHPian

To add to Samish's words - Respect, Admiration & Inspiration: Herr General!
I have been inspired by your wonderful words to actually take the plunge & buy the Fortuner AT, just 10 days back. Your self-deprecating humour is a delight to savour & takes me back to a world akin to those woven by PG Wodehouse or Pu La.

I had a question for you (regards the "kitna deti hai" phenomenon ) - My Fortuner "info display" shows 3 different figures with the "Km/Lit" unit. One, I guess is which shows the "instant average" & varies from 0.00 to crazy figures like 50, 99 km/lit, etc. Of the other figures - one reading started at 6km/lit on the day I took delivery & has steadily crept up to 9.1km/lit while the third reading was at 16km/Lit on delivery day & has now crept up to 19km/lit. I looked at the service manual but this did not throw much light on what these figures are. What do these figures represent?

Please can you enlighten me
AJo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 21:10   #2020
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Samish,
Thank you very much for coming across to Togo Channel and you warm words of appreciation. I am glad you liked what you read so far - I have also had some great fun putting it up here.

Though I must say that you are one brave soul to have plodded through 100+ pages of mind numbing trash & poppycock !

Gracias once again and be around.
Thank you very much General for the kind words.

Well, "all being quiet on the western front", may we (viewers of TOGO channel) construe this as a lull before the storm? Any voyages planned in the near future? Any plans of sailing down south? I am sure with Admiral is raring to test the rough waters errr ... highways with the hiatus he's been enjoying of late.

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 16:02   #2021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
To add to Samish's words - Respect, Admiration & Inspiration: Herr General!
I had a question for you (regards the "kitna deti hai" phenomenon...
Please can you enlighten me
Hi AJo,
Thank you very much for the effusive words ! Warms the cockles of me heart. Glad that you picked up a Fortuner. Congrtulations. Treat it well (or otherwise as well - though I wouldn't recommend that at all really) and it will last you for ages.

About the MID figures - on the Admiral there are only two FE readings - one the average FE and the other the instant FE. The one after these two is the average speed for the duration. Nothing other than that as far as the FE is concerned. Mind you Admiral is a 2011 Fortuner and may be the later versions (and an AT at that) have had a trick or two added. I can check with the ASC and get back to you.

Thank you once again and do be around. Shall await your ownership thread with lots of snaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Well, "all being quiet on the western front", may we (viewers of TOGO channel) construe this as a lull before the storm?
Hi Samish,
Right now and for some more weeks Admiral is deployed only on coastal duties unfortunately. For blue seas adventures we'll have to wait for some more time - possibly towards the end of the year or so. But you never know - the odd surprise can spring from any quarter, if I have interpreted life correctly so far. But yeah we're itching for a long sailing season.
Thank you for asking.

Last edited by Guderian : 5th April 2014 at 16:06.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 06:51   #2022
BHPian

Hi Guderian,

A warm greetings from an unknown admirer, disciple, fan follower (or whatever you may call me) of your Golden Classic thread. Thanks to Team-BHP, I am out of the box in open and can now show my gratitude & respect for you, which i carried over last 7-8 months. I had promised to do it the moment, I join Team-BHP.

Well I bought the Fortuner-4X2 MT last July and thereafter come across your thread or as said the famous TOGO Channel. Had it happened before my purchase i would have gone for 4X4.

I use the Fortuner mainly for my office travel (Gurgaon-Noida) & some long distance travels during holidays. Have clocked 7000 KM till date and its gives a FE of 12.5 (from MID). The FE increased to 13.6 during winter without A/c. The best FE Figure has been 15.5 during long highway trip.

Well look forward to be around you!
Old 10th April 2014, 09:42   #2023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
The best FE Figure has been 15.5 during long highway trip.
Avg of 15kmpl from a 2 ton beast with a 3-litre engine is excellent.
The 3.0 d-4d is a gem of an engine. One of the best engines I have driven so far.
Nothing less than a freight train. No lag , no downshifts no nothing. It just pulls and pulls.
dean5545 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 11:02   #2024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
The 3.0 d-4d is a gem of an engine. One of the best engines I have driven so far.
Nothing less than a freight train. No lag , no downshifts no nothing. It just pulls and pulls.
The 4x2 AT is also good at FE. I get between 12 and 13 km/l commuting to office in Bangalore traffic. Not bad for so much pull (besides plenty goodies).
kaizanfan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 09:37   #2025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post

1. A warm greetings from an unknown admirer, disciple, fan follower (or whatever you may call me) of your Golden Classic thread.

2. Well I bought the Fortuner-4X2 MT last July...

3. I use the Fortuner mainly for my office travel (Gurgaon-Noida) & some long distance travels during holidays...
Hi Wanderers,
1. Firstly, thank you very much for the warm words of appreciation and deep interest in Admiral's thread !
2. Congratulations (though I am just about 8 months late) on the acquisition. I am pretty sure it'll serve you well for decades - if you are interested in retaining your Fortuner that long. Don't think too much about not having gone in for a 4X4. The 4X2 M/T can do almost 90% of what the 4X4 does. May be just a couple of real nasty places (which really you may have to go looking out for, like we do once in a way !) could be a bother - or else it is just the same. With the added benefit of being lighter and churning out better FE than the permanent AWD - 4X4.
3. That's some great FE readings for a heavy levathian like the Fortuner. Of course you have the advantage of it being a 4X2 and not a permanent AWD like the classic or new 4X4 Fortuners. That really helps.

Once again thank you for coming by, be around and also look forward to your thread with plenty of snaps !
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
You bet dean5545 ! I have at times pulled in the 5th gear in low revs and mind you on inclinces and not a protest. It does its job really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizanfan View Post
The 4x2 AT is also good at FE. I get between 12 and 13 km/l commuting to office in Bangalore traffic. Not bad for so much pull (besides plenty goodies).
kaizanfan,
Awaiting your thread too with plenty of snaps. I guess it would be among the first of Fortuner A/T 4X2s here.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread